HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

Daigoro

Oct 28, 2017
seeing him get knocked down for the first time in his career was something. but yeah he unsurprisingly destroyed Neary.

He is crazy fun to watch. really exciting and dominant fighter.

Oct 29, 2017
I've been a big fan of Inoue for years now. He's got such a great combination of solid technique and raw power.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
as someone who doesn't know much about boxing but seen a ton of knockdowns, why is this one especially impressive?

The punch looking like nothing is the wild part, the fight was at 122 and at the lower weight classes his power is basically unheard of.

Combination of form, power, placement, timing coming together to look effortless.

Nacho Papi

Oct 27, 2017
Ok quick side note tho, wasn't it hilarious that he was knocked down in the first round after that 10 minute, as someone else put it: WWE ass entrance lol?

OP
OP
HStallion

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Ok quick side note tho, wasn't it hilarious that he was knocked down in the first round after that 10 minute, as someone else put it: WWE ass entrance lol?

The big thing is how you recover from a knock down and Naoya got back up without issue, adjusted so it didn't happen again and then took Nery apart.

Vigamox

Nov 13, 2017
I think Inoue was anxious to get a first round KO due to the bad blood between Japan and Nery, so he got reckless and paid for it. If he had just stayed calm the fight would've been domination start to finish. He made me sweat bullets in that first round.

Sho Nuff

Jan 6, 2019
Kyoto, JP
I saw this at the Tokyo Dome last night. Shit was wild. His entrance had Tomoyasu Hotei following him in just SHREDDING his Kill Bill theme on electric guitar.

When Inoue got knocked down in the first round everyone in the dome had a spontaneous heart attack.

Carlquincy

Jul 25, 2022
as someone who doesn't know much about boxing but seen a ton of knockdowns, why is this one especially impressive?
I'm also not really that into boxing, but from what I gather, it's these 2 things that made it rather unique :

1) combination (upper cut then straight) from the same hand.

2) power generated from a short wind up.

Others can correct me if I'm wrong.

tjh282

May 29, 2019
Best boxer in the world, really interested to see how high he can go up in weight. 135 is probably the limit for his frame, but I think he'll blow through 126 and do well at 130.

Daigoro

Oct 28, 2017
I saw this at the Tokyo Dome last night. Shit was wild. His entrance had Tomoyasu Hotei following him in just SHREDDING his Kill Bill theme on electric guitar.

When Inoue got knocked down in the first round everyone in the dome had a spontaneous heart attack.
I'm jealous af right now. must've been a great time.

Oct 26, 2017
That hit he took in the first round was still pretty brutal. O_O

I don't know how it is in the featherweights, but in the higher weight classes, you usually don't get caught like that until later in your career.

OP
OP
HStallion

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
That hit he took in the first round was still pretty brutal. O_O

I don't know how it is in the featherweights, but in the higher weight classes, you usually don't get caught like that until later in your career.

Inoue is 31 and has been boxing for a long time so he's not exactly some young whippersnapper fresh on the scene. Also Nery's coach got in the face and shoved Inoue's coach who is also his father. This fight got him going pretty hard so the knockdown happening makes sense. That said he took it incredibly well and dominated the rest of the fight including knocking Nery down a couple times before the actual knock out.

Vigamox

Nov 13, 2017
Inoue is 31 and has been boxing for a long time so he's not exactly some young whippersnapper fresh on the scene. Also Nery's coach got in the face and shoved Inoue's coach who is also his father. This fight got him going pretty hard so the knockdown happening makes sense. That said he took it incredibly well and dominated the rest of the fight including knocking Nery down a couple times before the actual knock out.
That didn't happen lol, that was with a previous opponent of Inoue's.

You can learn the history of bad blood between Nery and Japan here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EyoVzpc7TE

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Is this guy ever gonna move on up from these ultra low weight categories

Bowl

Nov 13, 2023
Is this guy ever gonna move on up from these ultra low weight categories
He's already moved up three times (and been champion in all four weights). He could go up again, to featherweight, once he's cleaned out this weight class.

I think he's amazing - he's what boxing should look like.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
He's a small guy. I don't really get people always wanting guys to move up. Weight classes exist for a reason.

He's already moved up three times (and been champion in all four weights). He could go up again, to featherweight, once he's cleaned out this weight class.

I think he's amazing - he's what boxing should look like.
Same height and reach as paquiao, he moved up all the way to welterweight. Just wondering.

Bowl

Nov 13, 2023
Same height and reach as paquiao, he moved up all the way to welterweight. Just wondering.
Pacquiao's achievements across 8 weight categories are unique, I believe, in boxing history. It's a very high standard to hold a boxer to!

You're right though, there have been a few welterweight champions as short as Inoue, including Pacquiao.

Perhaps Inoue will keep moving up until he stops winning, but getting to welterweight would take years. Prior to moving up to super bantam / junior featherweight, he had 24 fights across three weight classes, or an average of 8 per weight class. He's had three fights at his current weight, and if he sticks to the pattern, fighting twice a year, it would probably be 2027 before he moves up to feather, at which point he would be 33 or 34. Then by the time he moved on again he would be 37 or 38, which is about time to retire. He'd have to speed up the pace of his career trajectory dramatically to end up at welterweight.