• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/inside-infinite-january-2021

The first of 343 Industries' monthly Halo Infinite blog posts. They will release on the last Thursday of each month. The February blog will focus on Zeta Halo while March will talk about the sound design/music. January is all about the Halo sandbox.

Some tidbits:

"We have everyone fixing bugs on our launch content and some exciting efforts kicking off for future updates – like new vehicles, equipment, etc. But we're pretty much playtesting a ton and looking for ways to polish and improve everything. All of our launch content is in-game and being played daily but it takes a strong effort to get something from 90% to a full 100% ship quality."

Looks like Klobrille was right when they said Halo Infinite was content complete.

" In multiplayer, equipment is earned via combat and/or scavenging the playspace which brings a level of fairness and competition to the experience."

Nice to see a confirmation that equipment is found on the map in multiplayer.

Some weapon renders:

hi-br75-1920x1080-afebd6357dd547b4bfb64d7dcfd032bb.jpg

hi-needler-1920x1080-f1acc886bbbb4e47a0366c5f84616cb0.jpg

hi-cqs48-bulldog-1920x1080-86ffe21786374b2cbe11c67636b97194.jpg

hi-vk78-commando-1920x1080-64080d0d13b84388a173e9fe7379ea1a.jpg

hi-hydra-1920x1080-1fcff575c6fb4c87a9514fec96ae2179.jpg

hi-ma40-ar-1920x1080-ced5622ab02a4a1896152c57ef7ded25.jpg

Concept art:

hi_campaign_concept_art_waypoint-06c365a8d80840b6a8200c065b082142.jpg

Last edited:

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Really excited about Halo Infinite, also pretty happy with their monthly updates aren't just going to be a tiny blog post. Hopefully the rumors about BTB 2.0 are true.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
how long will it be until we can see how the game improved visually? if the game was content complete, it shouldn't be too long

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
Great stuff, and good to hear that Infinite is basically content complete. Those renders are lovely, but that AR and Bulldog are *chef's kiss*.

Jan 4, 2018
Looks so good.

Joe Staten also says that the old way to kill Hunters may not work anymore (they turn faster now).

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maaaaan!!! Monk chant in my ears!

I read from Cory Balrog re GoW (Kotaku interview) its only at the last 10% when you fully understand what the game is, so polishing the last 10% is exactly what i want to hear about the game. YAAS.

Jan 4, 2018
"I've been excited to incorporate many of the graphical features we've developed over the last six months at the same time that we are refining the lighting and environment art for the world that we've already built. In earlier iterations, we were just getting the major components of the world to a fully-featured, playable state; but now we are reconsidering how they interact and improving what helps the world to be its most beautiful and intriguing. We are excited to share more soon!" – Josh Marvel, Senior Lighting Artist

"Here's something that excites me as an engineering architect: for Halo Infinite, we rebuilt the engine multi-threading solution to ensure high execution efficiency across all platforms and PCs, instead of running optimally just on Xbox One. We used this new system to transition the renderer to a massively parallel multi-threaded framework to support the increased cost of all our new rendering features and achieve high graphics efficiency on PC CPUs of various size as well as Xbox Series X/S and Xbox One X/S hardware. In practice, this means that we are doing our very best to make sure Halo Infinite runs optimally on any device you may choose to play on!" - Daniele Giannetti, Game Foundation Architect

Dhruvenator

Aug 29, 2019
OMG this portion of the interview has me so freaking excited.

" Alright, I've only got two more questions before I let you get back to it. Don't worry though, these are just for fun. What's your favorite weapon, vehicle, or equipment in Halo Infinite? If we haven't shown it yet, can you give us any hints as to what it may be or why it's your favorite?

QD
: One of my favorite sandbox items is a vehicle that we haven't shown yet, but I'm sure I won't be alone with my favoritism once we do reveal it to the community. This vehicle isn't totally brand new, but it has received a fresh coat of paint while awaiting its triumphant return to Halo.

TT: We have some really exciting equipment we haven't shown yet, but the Grappleshot is probably my favorite of the bunch that we have shown. Not only does it just feel fun to use, but there's additional functionality that hasn't been revealed yet that adds some more… offense-focused gameplay that I'm super excited to show off.

DP: The Ravager has got to be one of my favorite weapons. It has changed a little too since it was debuted in the campaign reveal. Its role and playstyle have been pushed to allow for more area of denial play while still delivering a unique launcher style platform.

EG: The Grappleshot is definitely a favorite of mine, but I'm equally excited about an equipment item we haven't shown yet. It's highly physics-based, has TONS of interactions across our sandbox, and will leave you laughing or yelling, "Did you see that?!" Proper timing is everything with this equipment, and if you position correctly, you could very well send your enemies flying!"

BionicDreamer

Nov 6, 2017
It feels crazy to have these kinds of updates to a game that should've been out already. But I'm glad they are sharing all this, makes the wait less painful.

Jan 4, 2018
We have a team dedicated to making sure PC controls feel best in class. We are working with our internal Pro Team as well as our partners in user research to ensure that we have a broad set of data to guide us on our PC feature planning.
A major goal for Halo Infinite on PC is to hit that top tier PC experience that is as good or better than other shooters. Having MCC on PC is also a great help. It allows us to get player feedback on a live PC Halo game.

Sep 29, 2019
Nice weapon renders. I am praying that they take their time and make the best of it to improve the game and release a great Halo

Jan 4, 2018

" Alright, I've only got two more questions before I let you get back to it. Don't worry though, these are just for fun. What's your favorite weapon, vehicle, or equipment in Halo Infinite? If we haven't shown it yet, can you give us any hints as to what it may be or why it's your favorite?

QD
: One of my favorite sandbox items is a vehicle that we haven't shown yet, but I'm sure I won't be alone with my favoritism once we do reveal it to the community. This vehicle isn't totally brand new, but it has received a fresh coat of paint while awaiting its triumphant return to Halo.

TT: We have some really exciting equipment we haven't shown yet, but the Grappleshot is probably my favorite of the bunch that we have shown. Not only does it just feel fun to use, but there's additional functionality that hasn't been revealed yet that adds some more… offense-focused gameplay that I'm super excited to show off.

DP: The Ravager has got to be one of my favorite weapons. It has changed a little too since it was debuted in the campaign reveal. Its role and playstyle have been pushed to allow for more area of denial play while still delivering a unique launcher style platform.

EG: The Grappleshot is definitely a favorite of mine, but I'm equally excited about an equipment item we haven't shown yet. It's highly physics-based, has TONS of interactions across our sandbox, and will leave you laughing or yelling, "Did you see that?!" Proper timing is everything with this equipment, and if you position correctly, you could very well send your enemies flying!"

Scarab ? Prowler ? Elephant ?

When I read "triumphant return", I think Scarab. I hope these little things are back.

Jan 4, 2018
"Inside Infinite" is a recurring series that will hit Halo Waypoint on approximately the last Thursday of every month. Our goal with these blogs is to provide insights into the game we are making from the people who are making it. These updates are intended to be fairly high-level and will lay a foundation that we'll continue to build on over the months leading up to launch. Rather than make this strictly a one-way endeavor, following each update we'll ask for community questions on social (using #Ask343) and look for opportunities to go deeper with the team and address some of your most pressing inquiries in the following regular Community Update blog (lands approximately mid-month).

Anyone who has followed me over the years knows that I'm all about trying to set proper expectations so we want to be upfront with you – while we will always strive to inform and delight our community with these updates, this isn't the place for huge announcements, specific feature deep-dives, or gameplay trailers. We know you're all very eager for updated campaign gameplay, a proper multiplayer reveal, public flighting, and many other specific aspects of Halo Infinite. That will all come in due time as large industry events take center stage and the Halo marketing machine kicks into high gear.

The changes in the communication from 343 about Infinite are great to see.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Its probably the chopper with the brute enemy focus, but I'd love to see them redo the shadow and make that a relevant vehicle. Especially in big team battle.

SlightlyLive

QA
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Northern Ireland
I am so dang happy to read this part.

Second, vehicles organically form player parties. Every Halo vehicle enthusiast has a story where someone pulled up in a Warthog, beeped the horn, they got in, and they spent the whole match playing together. Even if you got destroyed, on spawn you'd find each other to go for another round with another vehicle. Some of my best college buddies were made this way on LAN. Vehicles are the only inherently cooperative part of the sandbox so they carry the responsibility of forming these connections. I think single player vehicles are important for encounter design, but multiplayer vehicles are necessary for Halo's community.

Wheelman medals were a cornerstone of my Halo multiplayer experience and knowing that the teams behind Infinite understand that perspective and can articulate it so well fills me with confidence and optimism.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still absolutely against the inclusion of weapons like the Bulldog and Commando. Needlessly diluting the pool of weapons in Halo when we already have a selection of weapons that fulfill a specific role. Been an issue going all the way back to Halo 3, potentially even Halo 2. It has gotten further out of hand since then.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I'm still absolutely against the inclusion of weapons like the Bulldog, Commando and Hydra. Needlessly diluting the pool of weapons in Halo when we already have a selection of weapons that fulfill a specific role. Been an issue going all the way back to Halo 3, potentially even Halo 2. It has gotten further out of hand since then.

Haven't played with the Bulldog or Commando yet but the Hydra absolutely filled a new niche and compared to 3 or 4, where there were redundant guns galore or Forerunner versions of UNSC guns respectively, 5 saw a much better sandbox in this respect, imo.

I am so dang happy to read this part.

Wheelman medals were a cornerstone of my Halo multiplayer experience and knowing that the teams behind Infinite understand that perspective and can articulate it so well fills me with confidence and optimism.

The Reversal medal in Halo 5 is such a small thing but it spoke volumes to me: this game was made by people who get what I loved about its predecessors.

So I hope Infinite continues this... 343 get a lot of shit but I for one enjoyed a hell of a lot about 5.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I have a good feeling about this game. Its gonna be fun.
I'm still absolutely against the inclusion of weapons like the Bulldog, Commando and Hydra. Needlessly diluting the pool of weapons in Halo when we already have a selection of weapons that fulfill a specific role. Been an issue going all the way back to Halo 3, potentially even Halo 2. It has gotten further out of hand since then.
Theres always more roles to fill. They talk in the article about how the bulldog fits the role of a shotgun thats not a power weapon.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Still super hyped for this when it does release. Graphics largely look great to me, and despite the memes that little slice of gameplay with the grappling hook was really cool.

Can't wait until we hear more about what 'Big Big Team Battle' is.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

QD

Brute Chopper. Come on!