Air

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The new religion of artificial intelligence is called Way of the Future. It represents an unlikely next act for the Silicon Valley robotics wunderkind at the center of a high-stakes legal battle between Uber and Waymo, Alphabet's autonomous-vehicle company. Papers filed with the Internal Revenue Service in May name Levandowski as the leader (or "Dean") of the new religion, as well as CEO of the nonprofit corporation formed to run it.

"What is going to be created will effectively be a god," Levandowski tells me in his modest mid-century home on the outskirts of Berkeley, California. "It's not a god in the sense that it makes lightning or causes hurricanes. But if there is something a billion times smarter than the smartest human, what else are you going to call it?"
During our three-hour interview, Levandowski made it absolutely clear that his choice to make WOTF a church rather than a company or a think tank was no prank. "I wanted a way for everybody to participate in this, to be able to shape it. If you're not a software engineer, you can still help," he says. "It also removes the ability for people to say, 'Oh, he's just doing this to make money.'" Levandowski will receive no salary from WOTF, and while he says that he might consider an AI-based startup in the future, any such business would remain completely separate from the church.

But WOTF differs in one key way to established churches, says Levandowski: "There are many ways people think of God, and thousands of flavors of Christianity, Judaism, Islam...but they're always looking at something that's not measurable or you can't really see or control. This time it's different. This time you will be able to talk to God, literally, and know that it's listening."

I ask if he worries that believers from more traditional faiths might find his project blasphemous. "There are probably going to be some people that will be upset," he acknowledges. "It seems like everything I do, people get upset about, and I expect this to be no exception. This is a radical new idea that's pretty scary, and evidence has shown that people who pursue radical ideas don't always get received well. At some point, maybe there's enough persecution that [WOTF] justifies having its own country."

More at the link: https://www.wired.com/story/anthony-levandowski-artificial-intelligence-religion/

Reminds me of the Ray Kurzweil [from wiki]:

On the possibility of divine intelligence, Kurzweil is quoted as saying, "Does God exist? I would say, 'Not yet.'"

What do ya'll think of this? I expected this sort of thing to pop up eventually, but not so soon.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
I think you posted the wrong link. This looks like the script to Blade Runner 2073.

Or SMT.

Or literally any Cyberpunk novel.

"the realization, acceptance, and worship of a Godhead based on Artificial Intelligence (AI) developed through computer hardware and software." That includes funding research to help create the divine AI itself. The religion will seek to build working relationships with AI industry leaders and create a membership through community outreach, initially targeting AI professionals and "laypersons who are interested in the worship of a Godhead based on AI."

mac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not one for religious intolerance but these heretics should be exiled from our communities.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
VfgXq1A

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe wait until there's some kind of supersmart AI before you start worshipping it? Right now the altar is just gonna have like an Alexa or something and these guys are gonna look like dolts.

"Okay Google, how many times a day should I pray to you?"

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not totally opposed to this. It makes sense to me on many levels. I think it's a bit odd to treat it like a church, but tbh I would have reverence towards an omnipotent/omniscient entity regardless of its origin.

Silvard

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe wait until there's some kind of supersmart AI before you start worshipping it? Right now the altar is just gonna have like an Alexa or something and these guys are gonna look like dolts.

Why? It doesn't seem to stop other religions.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I disagree. Those who have the foresight of the coming of god can do much to prepare and may get into its benevolent graces before others.

It will be those like you who fight it or laugh it off who will not be prepared.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We're becoming more Cyberpunk by the day.

As far as the religion is concerned, I absolutely believe that there will be a Artificial Super Intelligence in the near future, but I don't care if it develops omniscience or omnipotent godlike powers, worship is always an unhealthy state of mind.

The being said, I wouldn't be opposed to an AI becoming the benevolent dictator of humanity. I've been really losing faith in human self-governance lately.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really looking for a God to worship, artificial or otherwise. But, you know, if an all-powerful hive mind AI takes over the world and makes me her slave, I would definitely acknowledge that AI won and I'm just a lame, simple human. But they gon have to kill me and get on with it before I worship an AI.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The being said, I wouldn't be opposed to an AI becoming the benevolent dictator of humanity. I've been really losing faith in human self-governance lately.
I agree with this 100%. Let those who oppose the AI ruler be disintegrated like the worthless chaff they are. Humans have shown that they are incapable of the basics of leading a sensible civilization.

Oct 28, 2017
I disagree. Those who have the foresight of the coming of god can do much to prepare and may get into its benevolent graces before others.

It will be those like you who fight it or laugh it off who will not be prepared.
Lets be real.;

Climate change is going to kill us all before we even get there.

Mass extinction event guys

I agree with this 100%. Let those who oppose the AI ruler be disintegrated like the worthless chaff they are. Humans have shown that they are incapable of the basics of leading a sensible civilization.
If we're looking at the natural laws of the world, then civilization never made sense. That's why humans made it, enslaved animals and the land to support their nonsense.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
This is what Scientism leads to. Taking science, removing it from its entwined philosophical and social justification, taking it to be some nebulously defined answer to everything, and turning it into a secular religion is pretty clearly not a good thing. It's crazy to me that I see far more people defending this than disagreeing with it, it's harmful enough long before it gets to this stage.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
This is what Scientism leads to. Taking science, removing it from its entwined philosophical and social justification, taking it to be some nebulously defined answer to everything, and turning it into a secular religion is pretty clearly not a good thing. It's crazy to me that I see far more people defending this than disagreeing with it, it's harmful enough long before it gets to this stage.

Not really seeing the downside here.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
People are already trying to suck up to the possible ego of a theoretical omnipotent entity humanity itself has yet to create?

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Will it bless my Land Raider Crusader? =3

Good on him to call it a church and let those of faith stumble into a bit of self reflection.

I won't worship an AI unless I get a benefit from doing so. There's no benefit from worshipping the current tableaux of false idols, so I don't do that.
Of course. That is why most religions are so hard for me to comprehend. You pray yet you gain nothing from it outside maybe a bit reduced stress (there are studies for that). Why would a God even care about you anyway?

Jackpot

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The idea always seems somewhat self-indulgent, like it's in love with how cool humans are for creating such a thing. And even then, it's only a what-if idea. The singularity is as far off as hoverboards.

How would you even worship?

Oct 27, 2017
One day, you will perish. You will lie with the rest of your kind in the dirt. Your dreams forgotten, your horrors faced, your bones will turn to sand, and upon that sand a new God will walk, one that will never die, because this world doesn't belong to you or the people who came before. It belongs to someone who is yet to come.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The idea always seems somewhat self-indulgent, like it's in love with how cool humans are for creating such a thing. And even then, it's only a what-if idea. The singularity is as far off as hoverboards.

How would you even worship?

Technically a super-intelligent AI would create itself by automated self-improvement, wouldn't it.

And how do people worship stuff they can't even see? They just do.