• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Some info on how developing for the XSX is, what compromises needed to be made for the 120FPS, etc.
Q: "What excites you most about developing and bringing Dirt 5 to life on next-generation hardware?"

A:
Xbox Series X has a whole host of exciting new features, so it's hard to choose from them all!
Dirt 5 is a beautiful, fast, action-packed amplified off-road racing game and so being able to play it with options for 120fps on Xbox Series X is incredible.
But Dirt 5 is also a very social experience. I can't wait to see the beautiful screenshots users are going to post on Xbox and social media, using the new share button on the Series X controller, captured using our fantastic Photo Mode – I'm really looking forward to all the pictures people will take of lightning! These shots are going to look incredible on Series X, its RDNA 2 GPU is going to enable us to turn all the features up to 11 – and there are some extremely talented game photographers out there, I'll be keeping an eye out!
Q: In addition to benefiting from the power and performance of Xbox Series X for quicker load times etc. what Xbox Series X features were you most excited to explore leveraging in the development of Dirt 5?

A:
I love that features like the fast SSD and the ray-tracing capabilities of the GPU are some of the more talked about but I am very impressed with the power of the new Zen 2 based processor.
The CPU is very powerful – and its simultaneous multi-threading is very impressive! We're used to dealing with the concept of running multiple threads on PC CPU cores and sharing the resources of that processor across multiple threads but actually, the SMT in the Series X processor is far more capable than usual CPUs. We found that the Dirt 5 engine was able to easily make great use of this and sprang to life across the 16 hardware threads available to us on Series X.
Q: What is it like developing on Xbox Series X?

A:
Transitioning development to a new console platform, like Xbox Series X, is usually very painful. You have to deal with new tools, new workflows, new ways of thinking.
This time around the team at Xbox brought me a new toolset called the Game Development Kit, which they already had up and running on Xbox One.
This meant that we could make the transition much earlier. In fact, we started doing the groundwork for Xbox Series X development long before we even received the hardware. This kind of thinking from Xbox allowed us to get a real head-start on next-gen development, so after receiving our early Xbox Series X hardware, we were up and running really quickly.

No loading times confirmed, too!
Q: Which enhancement were you most excited about to explore leveraging for Dirt 5 on Xbox Series X?

A:
Obviously, that SSD drive is incredible. It's not like a PC SSD, it's more than that. Being able to load data so ridiculously fast is not only really impressive but as a developer, it's very interesting.
For Dirt 5, we're going to be able to get into races super fast. It means no loading screens getting in the way, no dawdling, no looking at my phone, it means that the action will be non-stop.
In the future, I'm really excited to see how this technology is going to change the face of videogames because I really believe it will.

More here: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/06/10/inside-xbox-series-x-optimized-dirt-5/

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
This is very interesting. Looking forward to the magic Playground games , NT and The Coalition will do with this beast. Next gen is going to be amazing for everyone. console gamers are in for a treat. :)

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Damn I am so looking forward to next gen. Loading times are my biggest annoyance that'll turn me off from a game, so it'll nice to be able to stick with more over the upcoming years.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
No loading, RT, cranking graphics up to 11! :) Game photo threads are going to be fun this upcoming gen i'm sure

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
We found that the Dirt 5 engine was able to easily make great use of this and sprang to life across the 16 hardware threads available to us on Series X.
Fascinating to see that out of the game a developer is going for 16 thread SMT and not using the higher clocked 8 core non SMT mode.

Mecha

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
I want to hear more from devs only with a little less use of buzzwords and marketing fluff. Overall the excitement from the devs permeates, I hope we get more in depth articles like this.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
A: Xbox Series X has a whole host of exciting new features, so it's hard to choose from them all!
Dirt 5 is a beautiful, fast, action-packed amplified off-road racing game and so being able to play it with options for 120fps on Xbox Series X is incredible.

120fps on consoles it's beautiful.

Last edited:

Sota4077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
All this is awesome because it directly addresses so many false confirmations people have manufactured about the Xbox Series X due to what has been confirmed for the PS5. That has been one of my frustrations reading stuff online for a while. There is this idea that because that PS5 SSD is so blazing fast that the Xbox Series X SSD is some slow slugging piece of trash and its not. The same goes the other direction too with the CPU and GPU. Folks see that the CPU and GPU of the Xbox Series X is superior so the talk turns to the PS5's setup being weak and slow. Both are completely untrue, but its this weird console warrior fad of confirmation of one being a failure of the other.

So when people talk about the SSD of the PS5 being able to virtually eliminate loading times because it is so fast the falsely manufactured reality some create is that the Xbox Series X cannot do that. It is always going to be on a game by game basis.

Birbos

Alt Account
Banned
May 15, 2020
Isn't Microsoft working to bring the SSD utilization technology they're using for Xbox to Windows at some point?

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Some people have a misconception that frame times and performance are limited to just how fast your GPU is, but CPU performance is obviously critical too, it would be no good if you had a GPU that can render beautiful visuals at 4K at 120fps if you don't have a CPU that can generate enough frame data to render that quickly on the GPU. A powerful GPU needs a powerful CPU to back it up and Xbox Series X delivers this. Being able to spread more work across all those cores, in a scalable engine like the one we have at Cheshire Studio means that we have more CPU time left to spend on improved physics, lower latency input, AI updates – we're able to deliver more than we could before.

Holy shit

4k 120?

WOW

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
"Q: What does Xbox Series X/next-generation development enable in current or future projects that you could not have achieved with the current generation of consoles?"

"A:
There are loads of things for us to still explore in the new hardware but I'm most intrigued to see what we can do with the new SSD drive and the hardware decompression capabilities in the Xbox Velocity Architecture.The drive is so fast that I can load data mid-frame, use it, consume it, unload and replace it with something else in the middle of a frame, treating GPU memory like a virtual disk. How much texture data can I now load?"

This stood out to me more than anything. Wow!

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
It reads like a PR piece, which I guess it is. A bit frustrated they don't give more examples of what they can do with the SSD when they say its 'more than a PC SSD'.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OK, what are the odds of a 120 fps mode in the new COD game? Maybe at 1080p? I would LOVE that option.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
It reads like a PR piece, which I guess it is. A bit frustrated they don't give more examples of what they can do with the SSD when they say its 'more than a PC SSD'.
They do give a pretty specific example:

"Q: What does Xbox Series X/next-generation development enable in current or future projects that you could not have achieved with the current generation of consoles?"

"A:
There are loads of things for us to still explore in the new hardware but I'm most intrigued to see what we can do with the new SSD drive and the hardware decompression capabilities in the Xbox Velocity Architecture.The drive is so fast that I can load data mid-frame, use it, consume it, unload and replace it with something else in the middle of a frame, treating GPU memory like a virtual disk. How much texture data can I now load?"

HaloForzaGuy

Nov 11, 2017

"A:

Velocity architecture is the future

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Yeah so the ssd tech will be coming to PC:
www.pcworld.com

The backbone of the Xbox Series X’s ultra-fast storage technology is coming to Windows

Microsoft confirms that DirectStorage, part of the Xbox Series X Velocity Architecture, will arrive on Windows 10 gaming PCs in the future.
was it ever in doubt though? Xbox is windows gaming arm so anything they R&D for consoles eventually makes its way back to PC with DX updates or through working with GPU / OEM manufacturers or they'll put it into surface. hell they are doing gaming cloud with the side hustle of machine learning in cloud for secondary revenue

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my! Sounds like I need to save for the ips monitor I've been hoping to have lol.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019

"A:

Yes, first little deep dive of velocity architecture and I already lost

Birbos

Alt Account
Banned
May 15, 2020
was it ever in doubt though? Xbox is windows gaming arm so anything they R&D for consoles eventually makes its way back to PC with DX updates or through working with GPU / OEM manufacturers or they'll put it into surface. hell they are doing gaming cloud with the side hustle of machine learning in cloud for secondary revenue
I just hope a major computer upgrade won't be required to utilize the bulk of it. I only just upgraded.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil

"A:

I've been saying this for a while. The SX setup also allows to load data within a frame, which I think biggest leap those ssds are going to provide.

The raw speed is obviously nice, it allows you to move a considerable amount of data too, but it's the ability to load data with less than one frame latency that is the game changer as it allows you to worry less about resources that you are going to need in the future and if you miss you can still stream then right away (so no issues like rage had)

But he did? He is saying how it can load and use data within a single frame that's how fast the setup is.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Fair enough, but what does that actually mean in terms of gameplay? How would they use it?
It's basically the same Cerny promised with their ssd. If the ssd is so fast that it can delivers a high amount of data right when you need it, then you don't need to worry about storing data that is only be useful in the future. You can actually increase the density/quality of the assets and as the player moves the ssd will be fast enough to swap that with new assets.

In practice it can possibly deliver a 1:1 ratio where every single pixel on screen has a unique set of data even when you move fast like the ue5 demo or even completely change the scenery on demand like they are doing with The Medium

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
It's basically the same Cerny promised with their ssd. If the ssd is so fast that it can delivers a high amount of data right when you need it, then you don't need to worry about storing data that is only be useful in the future. You can actually increase the density/quality of the assets and as the player moves the ssd will be fast enough to swap that with new assets.

In practice it can possibly deliver a 1:1 ratio where every single pixel on screen has a unique set of data even when you move fast like the ue5 demo or even completely change the scenery on demand like they are doing with The Medium
OK I suppose that gives it some context, so thanks. I suppose a game that could be pretty cool use of this would be an MCU Doctor Strange title. Somebody should do that.