• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Details on Assassin's Creed Hexe are few and far between. Officially, the series' Vice President and Executive Producer, Marc-Alexis Côté, alluded that the game will be different from past entries and developed by Ubisoft Montreal. From the game's official tease, we know that it will lean heavily into witchcraft, with the game rumored to be set in Central Europe during the 16th-century Holy Roman Empire (via Bloomberg).

Insider Gaming understands that the game is still in a relatively early stage of development and is expected to be released in 2026 on the Infinity platform. Hexe is understood to be a more linear experience compared to its predecessors with some elements of open-world exploration, somewhat akin to some of the earlier Assassin's Creed games. As already reported by Insider Gaming, Hexe is poised to have a single female protagonist, currently named Elsa, who has some supernatural abilities.

While details on all of her abilities are unclear, footage sent to Insider Gaming under the condition that it not go public shows off one of these abilities. In the footage, Elsa is seemingly being hunted by 16th-century German soldiers (image of what the soldiers look like here) and uses a spell to possess a nearby cat. The player then controls the cat and uses it to distract the soldiers by knocking over a glass bottle, which smashes on the ground and diverts the soldier's attention. The gameplay provided to Insider Gaming depicts a dark and gloomy setting in the cobbled streets of the city.

Sources also outlined that the plan is to have Fear System in the game inspired by the Assassin's Creed Syndicate 'Jack The Ripper' DLC. While the exact details of the system are unknown, it isn't difficult to see how this system, or at least a version of it, can be easily implemented into Hexe. The 16th-century Witch Trials saw up to 80,000 suspected witches executed between 1500 and 1660, so some form of fear system makes sense for the setting.

insider-gaming.com

EXCLUSIVE - Early Details on Assassin's Creed Hexe

Insider Gaming has learned of some early details on Assassin's Creed Hexe, including gameplay, features, and more.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Cannot WAIT for this game. The setting looks unique and intriguing. Some cool Dishonored vibes in that info.

(RIP Dishonored)

Mango Pilot

Apr 8, 2024
"some open world?"

Literally every mainline Assassins' creed has been open world. Even the vita game was open world.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be really excited to see the fear system back; that was the best feature that Syndicate introduced, and basically an evolution of how you could scare enemies in combat in the earlier games. Hexe is definitely the perfect game to bring it back for.

TokiDoki

Jun 26, 2023
Sounds good but its Ubisoft with AC so who knows.

Maybe they should have marketed it as something different if there are magical abilities, kinda feels the AC name is there just do drive sales.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
That's a long wait. This is the AC games I was the most interested in due to the theme.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
The euro-witch setting sounds fun but I just hope the parkour is good and more like the classic games.

Based on that power that is described i don't think that there will be big focus on parkour. It sounds more like that you turn into cat and other animals and then jump around the environment instead of doing classic parkour.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I'll wait for the release to see how they handle this, but... going with supernatural powers were real for a game set during the witch hunts is mildly concerning.

Should probably clarify - I like the historical realism aspect of AC games. So I hold the likes of AC1, AC2, and Origins in high regard for keeping the Isu stuff low key and somewhat believable. I'm not a huge fan of how high fantasy Odyssey and Valhalla were for their respective settings, and if Hexe is embracing "witches were real" then that sounds like it might fall into the latter camp.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
While details on all of her abilities are unclear, footage sent to Insider Gaming under the condition that it not go public shows off one of these abilities. In the footage, Elsa is seemingly being hunted by 16th-century German soldiers (image of what the soldiers look like here) and uses a spell to possess a nearby cat. The player then controls the cat and uses it to distract the soldiers by knocking over a glass bottle, which smashes on the ground and diverts the soldier's attention. The gameplay provided to Insider Gaming depicts a dark and gloomy setting in the cobbled streets of the city.

so clint hocking is making a third person dishonored game

Lightsong

Nov 11, 2022
Finally, they're doing it: sole female protagonist!

Can't wait for this game. Someone decribed earlier that it will have a strong female energy and playing a witch during the witch hunts will be so cool!

Lightsong

Nov 11, 2022
There were a few games recently where you played a witch hunter during similar times and I still don't get how that is appealing at all. Playing a witch and going for the hunters is where it's at!

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, sounds interesting. I can't wait to see what both this and Red have in store.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
More linear? Controlling animals? Are they just making different games and calling them all AC at this point? Lol.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
I'm confused is this part of that live service Assassin's Creed game? Is that still happening?

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
So we have this, Code Red and the teased Dystopia Futuristic one?
  • Project Red (Japan)
  • Project Hexe (Witch Trials)
  • Project Invictus (some sort multiplayer focus)
The unused epilogue for Mirage was probably going to be a tie-in for the modern story that will be told in Infinity, which is separate from the above three games (as the modern story is only going to be told through Infinity going forward, not in the games themselves). Either they scrapped it because the story is going in a different direction, or it's something they intend to release via an update to Mirage closer to Infinity's launch.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Sounds good but its Ubisoft with AC so who knows.

Maybe they should have marketed it as something different if there are magical abilities, kinda feels the AC name is there just do drive sales.
The last two Assassin's Creed games all have "magical" abilities. And of course the AC name is there to drive sales: that's the whole point of a brand name :)

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
  • Project Red (Japan)
  • Project Hexe (Witch Trials)
  • Project Invictus (some sort multiplayer focus)
The unused epilogue for Mirage was probably going to be a tie-in for the modern story that will be told in Infinity, which is separate from the above three games (as the modern story is only going to be told through Infinity going forward, not in the games themselves). Either they scrapped it because the story is going in a different direction, or it's something they intend to release via an update to Mirage closer to Infinity's launch.
What "unused epilogue?"

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'll accept that I'm the odd one out here, but that sounds awful to me tbh. I think the thing I'm really lost on at this point is why is it an AC game? There was no reason for this or Valhalla to be an AC game and the fact they're going ahead with this silly infinity thing just confirms to me that they're gonna keep working even harder to drive the IP into the ground

Feb 16, 2022
I'm confused is this part of that live service Assassin's Creed game? Is that still happening?
From what we know the live service thing will basically serve as a portal/launcher of some sorts, just in the form of a game client. Imagine buying a skin from the launcher and being able to use it in both AC Red and AC Hexe without having to buy the skin twice, something like that I suppose.

Kinguss

Mar 29, 2024
Sounds like a very interesting concept for a new IP but not so much for an AC game, I'm also glad we're finally get a single main female protagonist

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Sounds pretty different than standard AC with the magic and possession and stuff -- to the point it would probably have been a new series in the past -- but I guess Ubisoft needs hits, so may as well put that Assassin's Creed label on it.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Really looking forward to this. The setting alone is really neat.

I am just wary of the witch trial stuff. Almost every bit of media I have seen about the trials has been fumbled at best and gross at worst.

I have to trust that *checks notes* Ubisoft will be tactful.

Infinity Launcher is their version of the shitty COD menu thing right? That thing where it has the last 4 or 5 games on it.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
They are absolutely gonna cook with the aesthetic of this game. And pretty sure we're playing as an Isu if the MC straight up has powers.

Very very different environment/society than what we would've gotten in Amsterdam.

Would be kinda wild to get super-natural powers before guns being a major component for an entry
Guns were a really big aspect of Syndicate and the RPG games treat arrow types like firearms.

In Odyssey we straight up play as a demigod with a POE that gives her superhuman abilities.