• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Love the sound of the setting, but since the full open worlds made me enjoy the series, I'm probably not going to like it.

Going to be highly annoyed when they still don't have Coop for Red and then this is 2 years later.

Vic20

Nov 10, 2019
Valhalla's the end of a trilogy, most consumers were locked in and fully aware of who Layla is by that point. And yes they do explain a LOT of modern day related things in Valhalla.
You couldn't pay me to care about Layla or anything that was happening in modern day in origins and odyssey,

I thought things were getting interesting in Valhalla but they hit the reset button on modern day again, so i ain't gonna my waste my time and get invested again for nothing.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
They stopped caring and explaining modern day in games since basically Black Flag. When you end up entire setup of 6 games in the comics and in a bad way you can't continue to explain it properly in games. They are just inventing stupid sh*t and patching some holes but more interesting part that says a lot more is moved outside games. So even if you play RPG trilogy things are barely explained and coherent compared to the things outside games.
Layla was a reset planned four years in advance given that Origins started in 2013 and a new protag was part of the plan as they transitioned away from "the player is the MC" and the online connectivity. We got a fullblown trilogy with a protagonist that had a standard origin, middle, and ending.

One last fuck you from UBI to Patrice.
This take makes zero sense if you have even a remote level of familiarity with the location in Hexe, and the location in Amsterdam 1666.

You couldn't pay me to care about Layla or anything that was happening in modern day in origins and odyssey,

I thought things were getting interesting in Valhalla but they hit the reset button on modern day again, so i ain't gonna my waste my time and get invested for nothing.
They haven't hit the reset button.

Zerpette

Jun 23, 2023
Valhalla's the end of a trilogy, most consumers were locked in and fully aware of who Layla is by that point. And yes they do explain a LOT of modern day related things in Valhalla.
I guess this could partially be my fault then, since when she first showed up in Valhalla I just said "nope" and immediately crawled right back into the animus without learning anything about what was going on. Other than that one appearance she just shows up to solve anomaly puzzles? Maybe there is more at the end, but really it could be cut completely and I would hardly notice.

DarkJ

Nov 11, 2017
I'm an Ezio trilogy size map guy. So Mirage was great. If this follows that I'd be pretty happy.

The Assassin who sounds like they have precursor powers is also interesting lore wise.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Because sales and revenue being at an all time high, means significantly more people enjoy the series as it is now instead of what you want it to be?

Also, the previous game hitting $1 billion in just over a year which is their fastest selling, making Ubi's most successful game in history, is direclty opposed to this:

Instead of pretending that what they are doing is not being overwhelming positively received, you can just say you do not like it.
Again I've never once mentioned the sales figures. I don't really get what relevance they have to an opinion and tbh, I thought it was pretty clear I was saying that I do not like what they're doing with the IP, I've never claimed to be the arbiter of whether its good or not and can only speak for myself. I specifically name dropped their future platform for AC as the reason and I feel it's all getting rather convoluted to keep up with and that will only exacerbate it for me.

Now that could be partially due to the quantity of spin offs, or how the direction of the games keeps changing which would also be why I feel some of these games could just be new IP without the AC brand attached to it. Hex would be one I think doesn't sound like it needs to be AC and I think Valhalla could have been a new IP too, and I think with the latter it would have been better for it as the ties to the games lore really didn't do much for me at all.

But while were on the topic of them, even sales success seems to vary. Valhalla did do well, and while Mirage is doing fine last I checked it didn't seem like it was going to land near that so I don't dispute that the Valhalla style of game is more popular.

My complaint was that we're now heading into this odd goal of turning AC into a platform, and as a result it feels like we're now gonna be getting more games that didn't really need the AC name attached, which in turn for me, makes me less interested in where the IP is going as I feel Ubisoft are leaning on it too heavily. I've at no point tried to claim they are being negatively received. When I say running them into the ground that's purely my opinion of the direction, I'm not trying to claim that's the majority opinion.

As it stands I genuinely don't know what is a spin off and what is mainline now and it's pulling me away from the franchise. I'm not trying to speak for other people so I think something is getting lost in translation, what I've been saying ITT is that I'm not a fan of where it's at, not that others aren't.

Lightsong

Nov 11, 2022
This take makes zero sense if you have even a remote level of familiarity with the location in Hexe, and the location in Amsterdam 1666.
Do we know it's Amsterdam? I would've expected a location that would lie more in the center of the HREGN from the title, the protagonists name and everything surrounding this all.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Layla was a reset planned four years in advance given that Origins started in 2013 and a new protag was part of the plan as they transitioned away from "the player is the MC" and the online connectivity. We got a fullblown trilogy with a protagonist that had a standard origin, middle, and ending.

It doesn't matter when lore and overarching story continues. That wasn't rebooted. Those who started playing AC games with RPG trilogy basically don't know anything about whole Assassin's vs. Templars modern day story and history between those two.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Again I've never once mentioned the sales figures. I don't really get what relevance they have to an opinion and tbh, I thought it was pretty clear I was saying that I do not like what they're doing with the IP, I've never claimed to be the arbiter of whether its good or not and can only speak for myself. I specifically name dropped their future platform for AC as the reason and I feel it's all getting rather convoluted to keep up with and that will only exacerbate it for me.

Now that could be partially due to the quantity of spin offs, or how the direction of the games keeps changing which would also be why I feel some of these games could just be new IP without the AC brand attached to it. Hex would be one I think doesn't sound like it needs to be AC and I think Valhalla could have been a new IP too, and I think with the latter it would have been better for it as the ties to the games lore really didn't do much for me at all.
The AC name is an umbrella for all of their historical third person action rpgs, and helps sell the games whether or not the continuity is messy. People for the most part, obviously do not care about that over what is going on in the majority of the game.

My complaint was that we're now heading into this odd goal of turning AC into a platform, and as a result it feels like we're now gonna be getting more games that didn't really need the AC name attached, which in turn for me, makes me less interested in where the IP is going as I feel Ubisoft are leaning on it too heavily. I've at no point tried to claim they are being negatively received. When I say running them into the ground that's purely my opinion of the direction, I'm not trying to claim that's the majority opinion.

As it stands I genuinely don't know what is a spin off and what is mainline now and it's pulling me away from the franchise. I'm not trying to speak for other people so I think something is getting lost in translation, what I've been saying ITT is that I'm not a fan of where it's at, not that others aren't.
Turning AC into a platform including the open world rpgs, smaller linear games, the mp/coop game, and mobile release (assuming they are good), will likely perform much better for them than if they dropped it. People want AC, whatever form that takes and it would not make sense for them to push another overarching moniker.

Baka_Bishie

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm, I have some reservations with the description provided, but that's less to do with the game design and more to do with wondering if the AI will be able to handle an Assassin character as versitile as the one described here. Let's face it: most players can run circles around enemies in the more stealth-focused ACs, even ones as recent as Mirage. Saying you want to make a game that sounds on paper like third-person Dishonored is all well and good, but they really need to both make the AI substantially better overall AND the game has to be more punishing in general to incentivise players to use all the tools at their disposal or Hexe won't live up to the promise inherent it its historical setting. I don't want this to end up having stealth as simplistic as say, A Plague's Tale (specifically Innocence).

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I hope they improve the controls. I gave AC Valhalla a shot in gamepass and I couldnt stomach the gamefeel. Controlling Eivor felt way too loose and imprecise.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I guess this could partially be my fault then, since when she first showed up in Valhalla I just said "nope" and immediately crawled right back into the animus without learning anything about what was going on. Other than that one appearance she just shows up to solve anomaly puzzles? Maybe there is more at the end, but really it could be cut completely and I would hardly notice.
You can and should exit the animus after big story moments as the modern day portion of the game gets updated dialogue/emails/voice mails etc. as you progress through Eivor's story. The writer of the game even recommends that you do so.
Do we know it's Amsterdam? I would've expected a location that would lie more in the center of the HREGN from the title, the protagonists name and everything surrounding this all.
I was referring to the cancelled game Patrice was working on before he got fired. The premise of the game was that you'd be playing as the devil during the Dutch golden age in Amsterdam. A premise made interesting because the Dutch most likely would've been portrayed as irreligious.

Hexe is set during an entire century beforehand and covering a very dark time in history. The two are very very different projects beyond the surface level similarity of also controlling animals let alone any at Ubi actively working to screw Patrice over.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WVEo4yXpho

Lowkey most people don't even remember that this was a game at some point because it...never came out. 😅

It doesn't matter when lore and overarching story continues. That wasn't rebooted. Those who started playing AC games with RPG trilogy basically don't know anything about whole Assassin's vs. Templars modern day story and history between those two.
Origins does explain the conflict, multiple times in fact, and includes a ton of optional information regarding that on Layla's laptop.

Last edited:

Zerpette

Jun 23, 2023
You can and should exit the animus after big story moments as the modern day portion of the game gets updated dialogue/emails/voice mails etc. as you progress through Eivor's story. The writer of the game even recommends that you do so.
OK, I had no idea what you meant by "exit the animus" so I googled it. Apparently, there is an option to do this hidden in the corner of the inventory screen?!? What the heck lol, I have almost 80 hours in this game and I swear to God it was never mentioned how to do this. Not a big deal, since I have zero interest in the modern day portion of the story, just surprising since I didn't even know it was an option.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The AC name is an umbrella for all of their historical third person action rpgs, and helps sell the games whether or not the continuity is messy. People for the most part, obviously do not care about that over what is going on in the majority of the game.

Turning AC into a platform including the open world rpgs, smaller linear games, the mp/coop game, and mobile release (assuming they are good), will likely perform much better for them than if they dropped it. People want AC, whatever form that takes and it would not make sense for them to push another overarching moniker.
Yeah thats fair enough. I get that it's working for them and understand I'm the odd one out in feeling this way, but it does just push me away a little, at least in the sense that I feel I've lost track of what's going on in the story. But yeah a lot of the draw is just a historical aspect, and perhaps for some of them that's actually one of the factors that push me away on certain titles, some areas and times just don't feel as rich for the IP to me perhaps, I couldn't really say on that one.

And if the platform for AC works for them and keeps the IP going then good. I'm not cheering for it to fail fwiw. Even if I'm not fond of the idea there's always the chance that one or more of the games might catch my interest and I've not written it off in that sense. I'm finding harder to be as drawn in, and it's holding me back from day one purchases etc, but I still want to get around to Mirage sometime. The platform idea and how much they've spread the IP out isn't something I'm fond of, but if it works then I ain't gonna begrudge them of it, just can't deny I'm struggling to keep up.

It might be best for me to treat the IP as you said, just an avenue for action adventure games in a historical setting and consider them unrelated in a way and ignore the continuity of the overarching story, which is admittedly becoming more of a background detail anyway

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
QUOTE="Zerpette, post: 122049768, member: 151605"]
OK, I had no idea what you meant by "exit the animus" so I googled it. Apparently, there is an option to do this hidden in the corner of the inventory screen?!? What the heck lol, I have almost 80 hours in this game and I swear to God it was never mentioned how to do this. Not a big deal, since I have zero interest in the modern day portion of the story, just surprising since I didn't even know it was an option.
[/QUOTE]
If it's any consolation lowkey Valhalla has the most "WTF I need to see what happens next" ending since Brotherhood.

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm on one hand I bet this game will be absolutely beautiful, on another hand I think I'm kind of tired of supernatural powers in AC, but they're not going anywhere either.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Is AC Red going to be more like the RPG games? Or older.
I loved Origins, but I had my fill then and barely played Odyssey, and didn't touch Valhalla or Mirage (I know this one was more classic feeling though).
Did rumors ever say if Red would be heavy RPG? Kinda hoping for less.

Zerpette

Jun 23, 2023
If it's any consolation lowkey Valhalla has the most "WTF I need to see what happens next" ending since Brotherhood.
I loaded up my save a bit ago to pop out of the animus and check things out. Then I did some searching for a story recap and I think I spoilered myself a little. Seems interesting though, so I guess I'll pay a little more attention as I continue towards the ending. It all still seems a bit superfluous and convoluted, but I did remember bits and pieces of the current modern storyline from completing Origins and Odyssey so I might as well see it through.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Is AC Red going to be more like the RPG games? Or older.
I loved Origins, but I had my fill then and barely played Odyssey, and didn't touch Valhalla or Mirage (I know this one was more classic feeling though).
Did rumors ever say if Red would be heavy RPG? Kinda hoping for less.
Red is gonna be an RPG, Ubi is billing it as "the biggest RPG of 2024."

Hexe will be a very unique entry in the series in typical Clint Hocking fashion.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
interest piqued, may be more interested in this than Red but not going off much either way

I need to get around to finishing Valhalla, for some reason I keep dropping off it despite liking it (yet perhaps not quite as much as Origins and Odyssey)

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Red is gonna be an RPG, Ubi is billing it as "the biggest RPG of 2024."

Hexe will be a very unique entry in the series in typical Clint Hocking fashion.
ahh okay...will keep an eye on red, hope it offers something unique and less bloated.

hexe sounds cool, but I feel ac has kind of gone really overboard on the magical/mythological stuff in the last few games, and it puts me off of them. It's fine once a moment or two in a title, but the last ones and the abilities just push me off, they seem like such a large focus for it now. The hexe rumors in the OP kinda make me less interested, but I will still keep an eye on it. I do love AC, but I don't play everyone.

Defintiney getting the black flag remake if rumors are true

Armite

Mar 30, 2018
We'll see. It's been a while since Assassin's Creed has interested me, but if it's anything like Dishonored then consider me intrigued at least.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Hopefully Hexe is a hit. Either that or Ubi scales back the fucking bloat. Odyssey and Valhalla are just too big of a meal. The meat is great. The potatoes are raw and unseasoned. Especially Valhalla. You could've cut out like 40% of that game and lost nothing,

CutieYuri

Oct 7, 2022
I feel like a ton of people here didn't play the AC3 DLC Tyranny of King Washington. In that, Ratonhnhaké:ton/Connor straight up turns into Native American style spirit animals like a bear or eagle for traversal and attacks. Sounds like they are returning to those concepts for this game.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing Mirage right now and really enjoying it but in an extremely specific way that is fairly unique to Ubisoft games - I enjoy getting everything done and just listening to random ass historical lore. I 100% every district, I climb every tower, I loot every chest, and I find it relaxing and fun.

I also can only do it once every two years. By the time I'm done with Mirage I won't want to play another assassins creed game for at least 12 months, probably 24 months. I last played AC Odyssey about 2 years ago. I think AC Red is coming out this year, but I won't play it till late 2025 or sometime in 2026. Which I guess means I'd play Hexe in 2028?

I wonder if I'm unique in the way I approach the franchise or not. I'd also honestly group Far Cry and Watch Dogs (I saw the cancelled news today) in the same group, as in I really only want to play one of these games every year (minimum time), preferably 16-24 months wait.

CK Spider

Jan 24, 2023
Brazil
Sounds pretty cool, actually. Between this and Red, I'm surprisingly excited for the future of Assassin's Creed.

And since I mentioned Red, are we still expecting it to release this year now that Star Wars got an August release date?

Kick13

Apr 1, 2022
What does linear mean here? All AC games are linear since you complete the game in a specific order. Do they mean level based like splinter cell then I'm very excited because we don't get games like that nowadays with huge production values.

I do wish the game is a more grounded, SciFi, gritty thriller with some fantasy element like the first game not some goofy fantasy game that are dime a dozen these days on the market.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
I'm playing Mirage right now and really enjoying it but in an extremely specific way that is fairly unique to Ubisoft games - I enjoy getting everything done and just listening to random ass historical lore. I 100% every district, I climb every tower, I loot every chest, and I find it relaxing and fun.

I also can only do it once every two years. By the time I'm done with Mirage I won't want to play another assassins creed game for at least 12 months, probably 24 months. I last played AC Odyssey about 2 years ago. I think AC Red is coming out this year, but I won't play it till late 2025 or sometime in 2026. Which I guess means I'd play Hexe in 2028?

I wonder if I'm unique in the way I approach the franchise or not. I'd also honestly group Far Cry and Watch Dogs (I saw the cancelled news today) in the same group, as in I really only want to play one of these games every year (minimum time), preferably 16-24 months wait.

Nah I can do a Ubisoft game like once every couple years and enjoy it for what it is but that's about it. In this case Ronin sort of probably beat Red to the punch for me unless Red is radically different from prior titles, which remains to be seen. Doesn't help that that game will likely have combat that's an order of magnitude better than whatever Red comes out with, though the stuff in Odyssey and Immortals was by no means bad.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
With Outlaws and Red, Ubisoft might end up being my favorite publisher this year

For me that train passed long ago, I know that in the end whatever they release will be for the most part just another Ubisoft game with high promises and mediocre delivery. For the long time they just aim for 8/10 games and if they reach it is success, but mostly they don't even reach that goal. So I simply can't get excited.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
"some open world?"

Literally every mainline Assassins' creed has been open world. Even the vita game was open world.
The first few Assassin Creeds have animus barriers closing you in certain zones of the city until you could do enough story progression and expand the barriers. I don't really regard them as open worlds.

Vic20

Nov 10, 2019
The first few Assassin Creeds have animus barriers closing you in certain zones of the city until you could do enough story progression and expand the barriers. I don't really regard them as open worlds.
Lol what, the GTA games used to do the same thing, I guess those weren't open world games too.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Lol what, the GTA games used to do the same thing, I guess those weren't open world games too.
Some of the older GTAs block off a few bridges but each island is fully explorable. The old Assassin Creeds commit to the VR type of setting and put sci fi barriers around different quarters of the cities based on memories and targets unlocking in the story.