Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
There were always easter eggs and references to Marathon in other Bungie games including the earlier Halo games, but there was never a shared universe, just fan speculation.
Actually, Halo CE was originally meant to be in the same universe as Marathon, but apparently nobody told that to the guy who wrote Fall of Reach, and Bungie had to change a lot of lore to conform to the book. Still, Halo borrows a lot of Marathon lore, and 343i even reuses elements from original plot, like Cortana going through rampancy and becoming villain-ish.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
I need to stop getting my hopes up from thread titles, because 90% of the time I click in to see more and it ends up being multiplayer GaaS $#!? I don't want.

C'mon, Bungie. I can't stop you from chasing bad trends, but at least let NightDive or someone else release the original trilogy on modern hardware.

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Actually, Halo CE was originally meant to be in the same universe as Marathon, but apparently nobody told that to the guy who wrote Fall of Reach, and Bungie had to change a lot of lore to conform to the book. Still, Halo borrows a lot of Marathon lore, and 343i even reuses elements from original plot, like Cortana going through rampancy and becoming villain-ish.

That sounds a bit apocryphal because lots of stuff in Halo CE's story (even ignoring EU stuff) does not make any sense for the Marathon universe. I don't think most of the Bungie guys even read Fall of Reach until Halo CE had already gone gold IIRC. If you have a source for this, I'd love to read it.

Jun 6, 2022
I'm maybe interested in this game. I'd need to see it to say for sure though.

•I hope that there are more options than just 3 member teams. A 4-member team mode be great for my irl friend group and a 6-member team mode would be great for being able to do more stuff with raid teams.
•I'm guessing that this means that there are 2 projects that are at least partially funded by NetEase in development at Bungie.

I'll be curious to see what Tom Henderson has to say about this project in the future.

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
I am so in for this. The extraction shooter genre is going to be booming in the coming years and rightfully so.

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
That sounds a bit apocryphal because lots of stuff in Halo CE's story (even ignoring EU stuff) does not make any sense for the Marathon universe. I don't think most of the Bungie guys even read Fall of Reach until Halo CE had already gone gold IIRC. If you have a source for this, I'd love to read it.
I'm not saying that Halo is set in the Marathon universe, I'm saying that that was a plan at one point of CE development which was scrapped for one reason or another, but some things were left over like the concept of rampancy or Reclaimer symbol being literally Marathon logo. Fall of Reach stuff is something I've read somewhere a while ago, can't find it now, as for the rest:
https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkxpo6t3ZkFdFY5bPcDTZwYE7utadgm3j6i,
EDIT: this one goes a bit deeper: https://www.reddit.com/r/HaloStory/...?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Last edited:

thoughtloop

Apr 9, 2022
As another person who grew up with Macs and Marathon, this has me interested. And props to the folks who already posted about Aleph One. Marathon trilogy is all free now (released by Bungie a long time ago), and runs amazing on modern machines of all specs via that open-source engine.

I'm a fairly regular Destiny 2 player, so sign me up for more of that amazing Bungie gunplay. Problem, though: NetEase is the worst. I really hope they're not co-developing it with them. One of the banes of the gacha and/or mobile game market. Unless, of course, you're someone who would be excited to buy and sell in "Sphtcoin" crypto currency.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Not sold on this. Destiny has just about lost me with it's increasingly greedy monetization layers/lack of anything I actually want to spend money OR time on. I sincerely doubt this is going to have anything beyond a surface-level connection Marathon and even if it did, there's maybe...a single-digit number of employees at the company who would even understand what it "means" to create a new Marathon game?

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
With lessons learned from Destiny 2 Crucible and having a fresh start at another attempt at making something good hopefully.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
lol a tarkov clone with FOMO sounds like the most stressful game on earth

CrudeDiatribe

Oct 25, 2017
Eastern Canada
Super excited at the news at first blush— I replayed the last three levels of M2 so many times.

Remain a bit skeptical as to how this relates to the original IP— running around fighting for scraps on Tau Ceti IV (presumably) seems like it's a pointless use of the IP, but I hope to be proven wrong.

edit: having us explore the derelict Marathon itself would be a good use.

I thought lore-wise, Halo was heavily hinted at having a connection to Marathon. Isn't it the distant future?

There was a Marathon logo in the Halo CE logo, but they are not in the same timeline. Think of them being in the same multiverse or two stories written from the same broad bullet points. They have many of the same themes and are very much variations on a theme— enhanced super soldier cyborgs being lead around by an AI in conflict with an alien consortium; the idea of AIs going 'rampant'; Earth being governed by a unified organization that is ostensibly good but does a lot of shady shit (such as the origins and purpose of the main characters).

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
It's too bad Take 2 owns Oni and Myth, I think takes on those series could be much more interesting than another multiplayer-focused FPS from Bungie.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think there's any big F2P tarkov/extraction style games right now, are there? Could land really well if they get it out in time.

Jun 6, 2022
They have the capacity for this and Destiny?

Back in 2019, Bungie got $100 mil in funding from NetEase to build up several incubation teams for various new projects. I would assume that these are:
•New IP "Matter"
•Destiny Mobile Game
•Marathon Reboot
•More?

Back in early 2021, Bungie made an announcement regarding expansion at the studio.
•They are constructing a much bigger office to house their staff in Washington. (Probably finished by now)
•Opening a new office in Amsterdam to help with publishing.
•Investment into multi-media
•At least one new IP out by 2025
•2 new members to board of directors. One with ties to CBS and the other was previously Vivendi's execute for US strategy, finance and M&A for 13 years.

We've had other reports regarding Bungie's efforts to expand the studio. Such as by November 2020, around 1/4th of Bungie's staff had never stepped foot in their Washington office (Ie were hired after Covid began).

View: https://twitter.com/PaulTassi/status/1332435351395241989?s=20&t=5g9yKxy_-JJTncg5BA0vPA

Bungie is probably at around 900 developers at this point in time, which I imagine is enough to handle 3-4 projects simultaneously. I imagine that Bungie will continue to grow before any non-Destiny project releases.