• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Insider Gaming sources have confirmed that the PS5 Pro is in development and could release with a tentative release date of late 2024.

Insider Gaming previously reported that a new PlayStation 5 with a detachable disc drive is scheduled to release later this year. It's understood that this new model will phase out the current PlayStation 5 to cut down on production and shipping costs. In spite of the widespread reports, this is not the PS5 Pro model.

This is "just the beginning of new hardware coming to PlayStation users this generation", said one source when talking about the detachable disc drive console.

As for what the PS5 specs will entail, details are limited. However, a recently-published patent by PlayStation architect Mark Cerny (spotted by @Onion00048) suggests that Sony Interactive Entertainment is looking to "accelerate" ray tracing performance in video games.

Just like with the PS4 to the PS4 Pro, we can generally guess pretty confidently that the PS5 Pro will have increased visuals, performance, and speeds. But as for leaked details, we'll have to wait until a later date to release those.

Insider Gaming understands that the next generation of the PlayStation, the PS6, is unlikely to release until at least 2028. This would put the current generation console release schedule in line with its predecessors.

insider-gaming.com

EXCLUSIVE - PS5 Pro in Development, Could Release Late 2024

Insider Gaming sources have confirmed that the PS5 Pro is in development and could release with a tentative release date of late 2024.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Unnecessary. Last gen started with shit internals by comparison. It made more sense.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
Alright so going by this report this is like a new PS5, but not pro as it's replacing the current one?
So primarily adding a RT acceleration component, because it would be too costly to deviate from Zen 2 and RDNA2 components for a pro, but just having some RT acceleration structure is understandable, but it's going to be subtle anyway as the PS5 is still the baseline anyway.

Quite weird :p

But if it's like the PS5 slim with detachable disk drive, ok I guess ^^

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
"Thank you for buying the wimps' console to play cross gen games. Here's the real console now!"

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Kinda weird to alienate the people who bought the console early when they've barely released games that actually push the current hardware.

Oneandonly16

Mar 11, 2019
Tom Henderson has a good track record, right? I don't necessarily believe this rumor but I don't think he's wrong often.

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
What? Not a huge fan of this if it is true as it seems wildly unnecessary.

Last gen made sense since the specs were fairly weak on those systems. The current PS5 is more than fine.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Alright so going by this report this is like a new PS5, but not pro as it's replacing the current one?
So primarily adding a RT acceleration component, because it would be too costly to deviate from Zen 2 and RDNA2 components for a pro, but just having some RT acceleration structure is understandable, but it's going to be subtle anyway as the PS5 is still the baseline anyway.

Quite weird :p
You are misreading it. Thats referring to a different PS5 model releasing this year that features a detachable disc drive.

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
It would be such a dick move to finally come off cross-gen games and then release a slightly better console so ps5 owners get a worse experience again.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
You are misreading it. Thats referring to a different PS5 model releasing this year that features a detachable disc drive.

Oooh I see, yeah you're right haha, but then this article is sparse on detail other than just saying there is going to be one xd. So it's just a single source saying; New hardware is coming .
But ofc that's how rumours are :p

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Of course it's coming. But man, it feels like this gen barely has started. We have yet to see something really crazy graphically. Best looking game is still Demon's Souls from 2020...

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
no amped up specs please, the adhd in me will force me to get the Pro one and I really don't want to.

Brando

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't make sense. We already know from reporters with actual sources they're scaling down to making digital consoles only with the optional disc drive as an accessory/add on.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I might be interested if it boots VR stuff, I think it's fine to offer a slightly better model that leads into the next gen.

dose

Oct 29, 2017
Who are Insider Gaming? Never heard of them tbh. Do they have a track record?

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
We still haven't seen true next gen games after 2.5 years (OK, except 1 or 2 games) and now we're hearing this? :|

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Games barely use this consoles as is. Very weird to release Pro versions. It's a bit hard to justify the cost since these consoles are expensive as they are and barely show any differences games wise