• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 15, 2019

View: https://twitter.com/yami_translator/status/1554469980275867648

Today I learned about these amazing altered portraits Capcom made for the German release of Gun.Smoke to adhere to the country's regulations regarding violence towards humans in video games at the time. I thought it'd be fun to have a thread where people could share alterations like these in games they think either work better aesthetically, were smart adaptations or just look cool in general. Doesn't necessarily even have to be censorship specifically, it could even be things like the changes made to Crash Bandicoot's design in Japan to appeal more to the region.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I've seen people comment that Pyra and Mythra's smash redesigns make them more sexualized and less sexualized. A change that somehow pleased both sides of the discourse.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
When those Xenoblade characters were revealed for Smash, I was like "wow, those are very revealing outfits...", then I learned that apparently the Smash version of their outfits is a somewhat censored one compared to those in the actual game, so I guess that was an improvement, albeit a minor one.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicle X,
bust size ajustments on loli characters....
What were they thinking?

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
It's gotta be the remake of Persona 2 where they gave hitler aviators, right?

It's still very obviously hitler but they changed his name to "Fuhrer" and gave him shades, which is extremely funny.

Jul 26, 2019
The Netherlands
I think I am in the minorty here, but I like the censorship in Conker: Live and Reloaded (singleplayer part) better than the swearing in the N64 version. Not because I can't handle swearing, but because the beeps in the audio make it so you can JUST hear enough of the swear word to make out what it was supposed to be. I hope I make sense with this sentence?

And on top of that, what gets me every time, is the scene with the bats in the barn. They communicate with beeps, obviously. But they swear, too. So while swearing, their beeps are censored with....yes, beeps! I loved that, haha!

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
I really like the Probotector mech designs by and large. And Hard Corps makes a bit more sense when they're all robots.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017

It's still very obviously hitler but they changed his name to "Fuhrer" and gave him shades, which is extremely funny.

This is honestly probably the best. When it's done more so "tongue in cheek" rather than OMG WE MUST CHANGE THIS it almost always is better.

Beanbeany

Apr 25, 2022
A cutscene in Xenosaga Episode I was changed for its North American release to ensure the game got a T rating instead of an M, and I think the "censored" scene is even more horrifying.

youtu.be

Xenosaga I - Side-by-side comparison of "censorship" in Albedo scene

The (in)famous cutscene, during which Albedo decapitates himself - AKA the "ma belle peche" scene - has received the strangest type of "censorship" I've ever...

I played and beat all 3 of these games a couple years ago and I remember basically nothing from them... I completely forgot this even happened.

The censored version is a little bit more brutal, the idea of him pulling his head off is pretty nuts.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
There were some scenes cut from South Park: The Stick of Truth. At least on the console version I played.

They were replaced with an EU flag and a statue crying with a text description about what the scenes contained. Basically a bunch of Anal probe scenes and 2 abortion scenes.

I'm fine with them not being there. It was South Park so I'm gonna guess there was some weak anal jokes and a bunch of edgelord shit for the abortion scenes.

I heard the "minigames" were pretty fucking dreadful to play so I see it as a win.

censorbigjpg-df0fa5_160w.jpg

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
That one dungeon that was consored in TMS. God love the localisation team that had to try and make some kind of sense of that.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
A cutscene in Xenosaga Episode I was changed for its North American release to ensure the game got a T rating instead of an M, and I think the "censored" scene is even more horrifying.

youtu.be

The (in)famous cutscene, during which Albedo decapitates himself - AKA the "ma belle peche" scene - has received the strangest type of "censorship" I've ever...
This comment totally sum it all up
Person 1: Okay the censors want us to edit the part where Albedo wields a knife
Person 2: Great! We can have him rip off his head with his bare hands! That'll be even creepier, it's a win-win!
Person 1: What are we going to do about the censorship that's already there?
Person 2: Take it out. Our audience can stand a talking decapitated head or two, right?

The *censored* version is so much more horrifying!

This counts, right?

MV5BM2M3NmIxNWMtNmI5Ni00OWRkLTlhZjYtMWMyNGQzMWFmNjlmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTM2MzAwOA@@._V1_.jpg

Robots are far cooler than those lame Contra humans.
There's a reason they included these games in the Contra Collection!
The robot designs are also super cool too!

Heck i want to play Super Probotector much more than I ever cared to touch Super Contra for example.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Massive Melee Mythra is a night and day improvement on the base design. I wish there was a Massive Melee Pyra
There's also well before they were ever announced as fighters, the Mythra spirit had her legs more covered in Smash...and then in the actual Xenoblade 2 game they released a costume for Mythra that matched that spirit.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Xenoblade Chronicle X, Bayonetta, in general anything regarding male gaze design that gets changed is a win in my book.

Also, as Sharkbait Ooh-haha mentioned, in Conker: Live and Reloaded the censored swearing sound much funnier to me.

To bring something of my own, Manhunt 2 censorship gave it a trippier aesthetic that I think fits better.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't played it in ages, so my memory is murky, but I remember finding the bleeps in the N64 Conker funny because only some things were bleeped. I think bleeps can be funnier than the curse words plenty of times, but the fact that some words "escaped" the bleeps made it even funnier to me.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
There's also well before they were ever announced as fighters, the Mythra spirit had her legs more covered in Smash...and then in the actual Xenoblade 2 game they released a costume for Mythra that matched that spirit.
It's the only costume worth seeing for the whole game, you kinda lose an inventory/whatever slot but well worth the price.
There's also the covered design for Pyra where she looks like a sorta white mage instead of a stripper but that's DLC exclusive...

I haven't played it in ages, so my memory is murky, but I remember finding the bleeps in the N64 Conker funny because only some things were bleeped. I think bleeps can be funnier than the curse words plenty of times, but the fact that some words "escaped" the bleeps made it even funnier to me.
Most of the game in uncensored, the bleeps are absolutely intentional and part of what they trying to do.

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019

Yep that's what Massive Melee Mythra is. They released an aux core that put that costume in Xenoblade 2 back in 2018 when it was released for Smash. I was lucky enough to play the game after it already existed

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I think this counts, since there are two four letter words that could fit there
image-asset.png
I don't know if that really counts though, as that would imply it's "uncensored" in some other version of the game. It's that way in all versions of the game and that's kind of the point.

It could be "fuck" or "kill", and both make perfect sense in context of the game.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
Canis Canem Edit was a way better name than Bully. The difference between the 2 names is like the difference between the EU and US Ico covers for me.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017

It's gotta be Fuhrer which somehow makes this plot point even more ridiculous.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Maybe less of an example of censorship and more ""censorship"" but it was a localization change so hey. Persona 5 Royal at least making an effort to change the homophobic stereotypes was appreciated. It's still not great but it's way less bad. Wasn't there also a Fire Emblem game that also had a weird pro gay conversion therapy subplot completely changed in localization? If that counts as censorship to people, definitely that (haven't played that one myself though tbh).

youtu.be

I actually prefer the knife version. Though the later scene with him that got changed is definitely an improvement. Him sticking his hand inside the child robot was a bit much, turning it into some scifi scan thing was better. Side-Note: it's been so many years since I played Xenosaga, wow Albedo is such a Gamer Bro Edgelord lmao.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
There were some scenes cut from South Park: The Stick of Truth. At least on the console version I played.

They were replaced with an EU flag and a statue crying with a text description about what the scenes contained. Basically a bunch of Anal probe scenes and 2 abortion scenes.

I'm fine with them not being there. It was South Park so I'm gonna guess there was some weak anal jokes and a bunch of edgelord shit for the abortion scenes.

I heard the "minigames" were pretty fucking dreadful to play so I see it as a win.

censorbigjpg-df0fa5_160w.jpg
Oh, yeah I think I remember this scene, I think he was kdnapped by aliens or something and was trying to escape from a spaceship.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if that really counts though, as that would imply it's "uncensored" in some other version of the game. It's that way in all versions of the game and that's kind of the point.

It could be "fuck" or "kill", and both make perfect sense in context of the game.
Yeah, it's censored by its creators. It makes it better the same way other media censors stuff making it funnier. Like in Discworld there's a character that drops a bunch of "-ing" in his sentences like the word is censored and then it's later revealed that it's not censoring a word, it's just a -ing verbal tick.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Not quite the same thing, but I greatly appreciate that the Gears series has content filter options. Only reason I've played any of them.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017

youtu.be

Another poster already mentioned it, but it's funny how the censored version slowly becomes the uncensored version throughout the clip.

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
The intentional censoring in two scenes in the western versions of Drakengard 3 were pretty amusing, since it made it seem worse than it really was.