• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rhowm

Nov 27, 2017
I got one over the holidays and loving it so far!
Today I used it to make an oxtail pho. I'm letting it sit in the fridge for a while, but I'll be back later with the full recipe if the results are favorable.

Smylie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oregon
I got one over the holidays and loving it so far!
Today I used it to make an oxtail pho. I'm letting it sit in the fridge for a while, but I'll be back later with the full recipe if the results are favorable.
2u86tOb.jpg
Oxtail pho is the best. We make it every other Saturday, and never get tired of it.

Need some advice IP ERA I'm trying to convert this carnitas recipe to instant pot. Any recommendations on how long to pressure cook the pork instead of simmer?

https://patijinich.com/recipe/carnitas/
For a 4-5 lbs. pork shoulder, I do them for 35 minutes with a natural release for my carnitas.

SunPie

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ordered the 6 QT Duo model yesterday. Glad I finally pulled the trigger, I'm expecting this will substantially shake up my cooking routine for the better. I've got 5 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs thawing right now. I may try out the chicken curry recipe from the previous page of this thread. Some of the Amazon reviews indicate that the seal can retain odors from previous meals for quite a while - does this seem to be a common complaint? I may purchase additional seals if so.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
Ordered the 6 QT Duo model yesterday. Glad I finally pulled the trigger, I'm expecting this will substantially shake up my cooking routine for the better. I've got 5 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs thawing right now. I may try out the chicken curry recipe from the previous page of this thread. Some of the Amazon reviews indicate that the seal can retain odors from previous meals for quite a while - does this seem to be a common complaint? I may purchase additional seals if so.

it's a thing that happens. go ahead and get those extra rings, tho. they're cheap, definitely worth it. let the other ones soak in hot soapy water and maybe some white vinegar and they'll be good to go.

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
So we all know the mac and cheese recipe is the best thing ever but man it sucks to clean after

Gordon Shumway

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melmac
Quick cilantro rice and chicken. In the video she shows how to make it with either thighs or breasts. Going to need a blender:

Thanks for sharing. Just made it with Parboiled rice and chicken thighs for 20 minutes. Wife and daughter loved it and want it again this week. A bit overkill with the cilantro, for my taste..but not a bad little dish to add into the rotation.

Thanks again.
This was good, but it felt like it was missing something. I tried adding some cumin in one bowl, some lemon in another, but I didn't quite figure it out. Really easy to put together though.
Yeah. I think it needed a little kick to it. I make mostly spicy stuff, so it definitely felt it was lacking a little bit. I just sprinkled some red pepper flakes on my serving to make up for it..
So we all know the mac and cheese recipe is the best thing ever but man it sucks to clean after
Totally fucking worth it..

Gordon Shumway

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melmac
Cilantro rice and chicken recipe is waaay better with thighs than breast. It's not bad, just not as good. Girls still loved it.

Gonna mess with this recipe tomorrow..or whenever I can find sake lol

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I made this Beef Stew recipe last night, and it was so fucking good. I wanted to keep eating it but I got full and my stomach started to hurt. So I was forced to stop and save the rest as leftovers. But my mouth was pissed off.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Yeah. I think it needed a little kick to it. I make mostly spicy stuff, so it definitely felt it was lacking a little bit. I just sprinkled some red pepper flakes on my serving to make up for it...
I found adding a half teaspoon of cumin before cooking, and gave it a good squirt of lime after it was done helped out the flavour immensely.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

I don't do sweet stuff in mine (yet - I've been thinking of doing yogurt) but my understanding is if you do it's good to have two rings, one you use for sweet stuff and one reserved for savory. Otherwise I soak mine in vinegar overnight and toss it in the dishwasher once in awhile and it's fine.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
The lineup is already absurd as it is, tbh. I've been looking into buying one since replacing the vessel of my cheap PC costs way too much money for a spare piece (it's like €35 or something onerous like that) and I actually have some trouble trying to make sense of IP's range.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i've been busy so just been steaming veggies and cooking rice and super real basics and it's really goddamn good even just for super simple stuff like that. I made an ABC soup the other day that was so much the better for the fact that I didn't have to nursemaid the damn thing

SunPie

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got mine last Wednesday and so far have made a curry dish and jambalaya. The jambalaya in particular was excellent. However, in both dishes I was getting a layer of burnt rice on the bottom of the pot. It didn't affect the taste of the rest of the food, but I'm wondering what I should do to avoid this. Am I not deglazing well enough maybe?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I like Macy n cheese, but prefer a creamy sauce rather Han just sticky cheese that's a nightmare to clean

Smylie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oregon
Got mine last Wednesday and so far have made a curry dish and jambalaya. The jambalaya in particular was excellent. However, in both dishes I was getting a layer of burnt rice on the bottom of the pot. It didn't affect the taste of the rest of the food, but I'm wondering what I should do to avoid this. Am I not deglazing well enough maybe?

Either not deglazing enough, not adding enough water/broth, or not mixing the water/rice properly before sealing it up.

They already have the 8-qt. Plus and the 8-qt. Ultra (out this month) out in 2018. And now they're planning on two additional generations of IPs?

Curious.

Cloggerdude

Just tell me what you need.
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, it's been a couple of weeks, but I've made a few different things since I received my Instant Pot. All three came from the list on this website: https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/best-pressure-cooker-recipes-2017/

1) Beef Stroganoff

This was my first attempt and was definitely my favorite overall. Took forever to actually make (2-2.5 hours), but I'll attribute a lot of that time to having not cooked by myself in quite a while. The end result was pretty good, although not exactly what I had pictured in my mind. Leftovers, reheated in the microwave, were amazing though! I'll definitely be making this one again.

2) Pasta Bolognese

This one definitely didn't take nearly as long to make as the last one. The biggest problem I had was, because I just follow exactly whatever the instructions say (and I'm a horrible cook), I didn't realize I was supposed to break up the hamburger meat. I kind of broke it up a little bit when I was mixing everything, but the end result was big honking chunks of hamburger meat in the final product. It was still really good and I'll definitely consider making this one again.

3) Japanese Beef Curry

I had never had Curry before, so I was really looking forward to this one. Caramelizing the onions (super messy) and everything was kind of fun, but this definitely took the longest to make out of the three meals. Was it worth it though? Eh, not really. I used the curry blocks that they recommended, but was disappointed to find that the curry didn't really add much spice to the meal. It just ended up being more salty than anything. I could see this being better with a spicier curry, but I kind of doubt I'll go through all of the trouble again to try it.

Overall, I'm definitely happy with my purchase. I've never been super handy in the kitchen, so I really like being able to finally help my wife out with the meals. I do need to find some recipes that are a bit lighter though, because all of the above upset my wife's stomach.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I can't see how a new model would be attractive to me.

I think I'm going to be boring and just make chili again, eat it for lunch and dinner for a week. Maybe switch up the recipe though. Yea, that's what I'll do.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm going to be boring and just make chili again, eat it for lunch and dinner for a week. Maybe switch up the recipe though. Yea, that's what I'll do.
Chili has always been the go to for my wife and I.

Our son had his first birthday party this weekend. There were a lot of peppers and carrots left over from the veggie tray, so we just diced them in the food processor, got some ground turkey, tomatoes and beans at the store and made a big pot of turkey chili. Lunch all week.

How do you guys clean your lid? I've been putting the rubber ring in the dishwasher, but I feel like I'm never getting the actual underside of the lid very clean. I think you're not supposed to use soap, right? Just wipe down with water? I've read just placing vinegar and a lemon in the pot for 10-15 minutes can clean it pretty well, anyone try that?

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Warm soapy water is fine for the lid, I don't recall ever seeing any warnings against soap. I remove the liner and wash that, and every three-or-so uses I'll pop off any parts that can be removed to get a deep cleaning.

Ultryx

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Chili has always been the go to for my wife and I.

Our son had his first birthday party this weekend. There were a lot of peppers and carrots left over from the veggie tray, so we just diced them in the food processor, got some ground turkey, tomatoes and beans at the store and made a big pot of turkey chili. Lunch all week.

How do you guys clean your lid? I've been putting the rubber ring in the dishwasher, but I feel like I'm never getting the actual underside of the lid very clean. I think you're not supposed to use soap, right? Just wipe down with water? I've read just placing vinegar and a lemon in the pot for 10-15 minutes can clean it pretty well, anyone try that?

I just wash my lid like any other part in my kitchen sink. Soap, sponge, water, and scrub. I let it thoroughly dry before putting the lid on it though.

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
This was good, but it felt like it was missing something. I tried adding some cumin in one bowl, some lemon in another, but I didn't quite figure it out. Really easy to put together though.

We do a similar dish, but instead of cumin, we flavor the chicken with paprika, salt, and pepper. We also sear the outside of the chicken first. Then, use chicken stock instead of water for the rice. The recipe is originally for oven cooking, but can be adapted to instant pot using similar cooking instructions to the recipe in that video.

Here's the original recipe. You can just adapt this to the instant pot.

https://www.tasty.co/recipe/paprika-chicken-rice

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
if i'm not using any cooking oil in it is it safe to just dump the water/fat after cooking my chicken into my drain or best not to in general? i learned that a "fatberg" is a thing today.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
if i'm not using any cooking oil in it is it safe to just dump the water/fat after cooking my chicken into my drain or best not to in general? i learned that a "fatberg" is a thing today.

Pouring fat down the drain will eventually lead to a bad clog. Best to have a fat jar, or just dump it onto a paper towel in the trash.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's not good to dump fat and oil down the drain, if at all possible. It not only clogs the sewers, but also your own house's pipes.

Soak it in a paper towel and throw it in a trash, or a compost bin, if your area handles those.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I feel like my Instant Pot has already become just an expensive rice cooker. I need some inspiring ideas ERA.
I've got some nice marbled beef short ribs in the freezer. I'm going to pull them out tonight and make something tomorrow. Open to any interesting suggestions. I've got lots of stuff to make some kind of taco some kind of mexican something if anyone has something along those lines that would work for short rubs.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Ok, random one for you guys, I don't have an oven, so any ideas on how to cook pills bury grands biscuits in an instant pot? I only have the pot that comes with it

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
So do high heat, guess on the time. Due to using an instant pot heat distributor ion should be better and I shouldn't need to flip them

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
We had the 6qt DUO and didnt use it much... mostly hated cleaning the damn thing. Gave it to my sister who has a larger family and got the 3-qt MINI and loving it.

You're doing it right... the problem is that the stainless steel bowl that comes with the IP has no teflon coating like most rice cookers do. Just get the non stick IP bowl and use that for rice (search on Amazon for nonstick instant pot bowl)

Odd, because rice comes out perfect for me in the stainless. I do rinse it a lot. I wonder if the gluten is the issue.

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like my Instant Pot has already become just an expensive rice cooker. I need some inspiring ideas ERA.
I've got some nice marbled beef short ribs in the freezer. I'm going to pull them out tonight and make something tomorrow. Open to any interesting suggestions. I've got lots of stuff to make some kind of taco some kind of mexican something if anyone has something along those lines that would work for short rubs.

Why not just do braised short ribs? Stuff like that an Ossu Bucco are good for insta pot.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I spy a crappy Amazon knife block with my little eye.

That's actually one of those Bed, Bath, and Beyond copped joints where you can stick knives anywhere into the black plastic ... rods? I use it so I can stick a thermometer and whatever else in there too - handy.

If you're referring to that little sharpener, great for small cheap knives - nice and fast. I have a ceramic stick in the mail for this knife.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
The thing on the left. It resembles my crummy Amazon block.

Nothing against crappy knives, tbh, I'd rather buy cheap and sharpen them to slay elder gods than buy a €500 collection piece hammer forged by teutonic dwarves.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
The thing on the left. It resembles my crummy Amazon block.

Nothing against crappy knives, tbh, I'd rather buy cheap and sharpen them to slay elder gods than buy a €500 collection piece hammer forged by teutonic dwarves.

Oh it's cheap as shit. I think it was $30, tops, probably less.

has anyone tried making Butter Chicken? thinking of trying this recipe - https://www.jocooks.com/recipes/instant-pot-butter-chicken/

Not butter chicken specifically but it's extremely similar to chicken tikka masala, and dishes like that are very easy to make in the Pot. In fact Indian dishes in general seem to be the easiest and most flavorful to make in a short time.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Not butter chicken specifically but it's extremely similar to chicken tikka masala, and dishes like that are very easy to make in the Pot. In fact Indian dishes in general seem to be the easiest and most flavorful to make in a short time.

Thanks! I make a good curry, but it does take forever. Most of it is prep though. Butter Chicken seems like way less work - not even onions to chop.