• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
I've been cooking more and more over the last few years, but for whatever reason i suck at rice. Turns out a globby mess. Always meant to get a rice cooker but this thing fits that bill and did a cleaner job than I ever could.

Did seasoned chicken thighs and veggies last night. Need to pour over some recipes before tomorrow's shopping trip.

Smylie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oregon
That saute function is pretty damned strong. I was supposed to brown the chicken I put in yesterday, and it stuck to the pan so fast. I put down some oil, but it all rolled to the outer rim of the bowl. I might have to brush the oil where I need it and immediately put the meat down next time.
The trick is to turn on the Saute mode, and wait until it reaches "Hot" before you add the oil. Wait a couple of minutes for it to heat up, *then* add the meat or aromatics. That will help avoid meat sticking. You can also adjust the heat of Saute mode.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
I made chili the other night in mine, using the same recipe I've been using in my slow cooker for a while, but did not take into consideration that I don't need as much liquid in the pressure cooker. Ended up rather soupy and heavy on the tomato flavor. It tasted fine, just not as good as I'm use to.

That is one slight drawback vs a slow cooker - there's zero evaporation with the IP.

Anybody has a decent recipe for chicken quesadillas?

At the end of the IP process, you're just making shredded chicken.
Are you doing breasts or thighs? (I prefer thighs)
For thighs, there's this: https://www.dadcooksdinner.com/pressure-cooker-chicken-tacos-tinga-de-pollo/
Haven't made this exact recipe personally but I use this site a lot and it looks solid.

Thanks for the replies! That makes sense. Probably pick some more up at some point if I notice a difference.

I recommend them strictly out of convenience. They're cheap and always having a clean one to swap in has helped me out many a time. I soak mine in hot soapy water & a splash of white vinegar, but the baking soda sounds good, too.

Having looked at the grocery store ads for what's on sale this week, I've got my Instant Pot weekend planned out:

INSTANT POT (PRESSURE COOKER) KALUA PIG

Quick and Easy Pressure Cooker Chicken and Black Bean Stew Recipe

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
The trick is to turn on the Saute mode, and wait until it reaches "Hot" before you add the oil. Wait a couple of minutes for it to heat up, *then* add the meat or aromatics. That will help avoid meat sticking. You can also adjust the heat of Saute mode.
Thanks for the advice. I should've figured it could be adjusted.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
That was the first thing I made, too. Turned out delicious.

How about yours?

Really good. So much food for $10. Gonna be lunch today too...then probably freeze the rest.

Looking at this lemon chicken recipe for supper:

https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-lemon-chicken/

My problem is the recipe only calls for 3/4 cup of chicken stock, while the instruction manual says to use at least 2 cups of liquid when pressure cooking. Any insight from people more experienced with their Instant Pots?

Applesauce

Oct 27, 2017
You can boil off the excess moisture with the Saute function (uncovered, of course).

The chili recipe I've been using only has about a cup and change of liquids added. In the recipe I've been using most of the moisture comes from the canned tomatoes.

I was afraid that would burn it, the brown setting on my brand pressure cooker gets really hot. Once it set in the fridge overnight it was slightly thicker after I reheated it.

Tasted great over a chunk of cornbread!

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
Really good. So much food for $10. Gonna be lunch today too...then probably freeze the rest.

Looking at this lemon chicken recipe for supper:

https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-lemon-chicken/

My problem is the recipe only calls for 3/4 cup of chicken stock, while the instruction manual says to use at least 2 cups of liquid when pressure cooking. Any insight from people more experienced with their Instant Pots?

Probably fine with that amount. You could do a full cup of stock if you're worried, but with the other liquids you're adding, you're nearly to a full cup of liquid anyway, and that's not counting the liquid that will come from the chicken.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I was afraid that would burn it, the brown setting on my brand pressure cooker gets really hot. Once it set in the fridge overnight it was slightly thicker after I reheated it.

Tasted great over a chunk of cornbread!
I've been using the saute function to reheat my chili from the fridge and I haven't had issues.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Is the steam release valve supposed to be floaty? Like move up and down as well as into a seal or release position?

NM: just watched an official video on it

Edit 2: omg this thing hard boils eggs quickly

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
The valve being jiggly is something I always forget to tell newbies about because once I realized it's fine, I completely forgot about it seeming weird.

Carfo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love my instant pot so much I got one for my parents for an xmas gift on the Amazon sale. I can suck at cooking and make delicious food--it's great.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
What are some good non-perishable condiment type staples to have in the house for the instant pot? I've seen dry mustard, dry rosemary, cornstarch, peanut oil, etc.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Ok, making the chili verde recipe, wish me luck.

That's going to be my first real, multi appliance dish too. I made some simple stuff tonight to familiarize myself with it: boiled some eggs, made a simple pot roast by sauteing onions and searing the meat first, then adding everything back in and pressure cooking. The entire process, including driving up to the grocer to grab what I needed, was less than an hour. Nice. And I have food for a few more meals.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
My endgame here is to make like five pounds of food on a Sunday afternoon and have leftovers for burritos/sandwiches/rice bowl lunches for most of the remaining week. But this is my first recipe so I'm sharing it with others to get an accurate read of whether or not I'm adequately seasoning the food.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
My endgame here is to make like five pounds of food on a Sunday afternoon and have leftovers for burritos/sandwiches/rice bowl lunches for most of the remaining week. But this is my first recipe so I'm sharing it with others to get an accurate read of whether or not I'm adequately seasoning the food.

/r/mealprep for some ideas.

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017
http://www.ahjummarecipes.com/single-post/2016/03/30/Instant-Pot-Korean-Chicken-Stew-닭찜-Dakjjim

Made this tonight and thought I'd share. I was introduced to this dish on a trip to Korea a few years ago. (I think it goes under several names, it was called "Andong jjimdak" when I had it for the first time.) I've tried to make it a few times, mostly on the stove top, but this version came out the best of my multiple attempts.

It's definitely worthwhile to get the sweet potato noodles, and I think the chili pepper is essential, even if you're not into spicy food. I have a toddler who is not yet accustomed to eating spicy things so I have to be careful, but a small (1 inch or so) Thai chili was the perfect amount of heat for us. It was enough that you can detect it but not enough for it to be spicy. Adjust according to your taste, of course.

Smylie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oregon
My gf accidentally sold my previous pressure cooker in a recent garage sale. But it was kinda cheap anyways, so figure it's time for an upgrade.
Hard choosing between these two. pros/cons from those with experience? Only disclaimer, I'd like to able to sear meat in the pot, that's for sure.

1. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBKTPTS/?tag=era0f0-20

2. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074HG8KYV/?tag=era0f0-20
Don't pay extra for a manual pressure cooker. Get the Instant Pot.

Vk75O7o.jpg
Made a really nice beef stew last night. Perfect for the dreary weather here in Oregon.

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Any leftover turkey suggestions? I did the soup but still have a lot leftover.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Can you put frozen meat in an instant pot? Thought I read people do that. It could be a game changer. We cook mostly with chicken breasts and ground turkey since my wife won't eat red meat.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I am a pescatarian but I've been cooking vegan using the pot. I've made corn chowder, yummy spicy lentil stew and a few other things, so far. This device is amazing. There's a lot of good vegan books specializing in instant pot and other pressure cookers. They're helping me understand all the intricacies of pressure cooking.

OP
OP
Miker

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
Can you put frozen meat in an instant pot? Thought I read people do that. It could be a game changer. We cook mostly with chicken breasts and ground turkey since my wife won't eat red meat.

I'm sure you /can/ - I haven't done so myself, but I've used partially thawed meat because I was too impatient, and it ended up making the dish a bit too watery due to all the extra moisture. I wouldn't recommend it, personally, though I'm sure other people have figured it out and changed recipes to accommodate for it.

Smylie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oregon
You absolutely can, and it takes the same time to cook as if it were defrosted. Frozen meat just means it takes longer to come up to pressure.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
You absolutely can, and it takes the same time to cook as if it were defrosted. Frozen meat just means it takes longer to come up to pressure.

That is incredible. I still haven't opened mine yet. I'm totally intimidated :D

This weekend I will conquer the pot!

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure you /can/ - I haven't done so myself, but I've used partially thawed meat because I was too impatient, and it ended up making the dish a bit too watery due to all the extra moisture. I wouldn't recommend it, personally, though I'm sure other people have figured it out and changed recipes to accommodate for it.

Yeah, I'd think you'd just need to cut down a tad on the liquid to account for the thawing meat. You can also saute for a bit when done to boil sauces down more (had to do that last night with some pasta that I put too much water in with the sauce.

TojoT

Oct 30, 2017
http://www.ahjummarecipes.com/single-post/2016/03/30/Instant-Pot-Korean-Chicken-Stew-닭찜-Dakjjim

Made this tonight and thought I'd share. I was introduced to this dish on a trip to Korea a few years ago. (I think it goes under several names, it was called "Andong jjimdak" when I had it for the first time.) I've tried to make it a few times, mostly on the stove top, but this version came out the best of my multiple attempts.

It's definitely worthwhile to get the sweet potato noodles, and I think the chili pepper is essential, even if you're not into spicy food. I have a toddler who is not yet accustomed to eating spicy things so I have to be careful, but a small (1 inch or so) Thai chili was the perfect amount of heat for us. It was enough that you can detect it but not enough for it to be spicy. Adjust according to your taste, of course.

I just tried this myself. Didn't have any sweet potato noodles, so just went with rice noodles. It was very good. Thanks for sharing.

Smoshow

Oct 25, 2017
Mine arrives today. I got a lot of chicken in the fridge. Are there any good chicken adobo recipes?

Oct 25, 2017
I've been cooking more and more over the last few years, but for whatever reason i suck at rice. Turns out a globby mess. Always meant to get a rice cooker but this thing fits that bill and did a cleaner job than I ever could.

Did seasoned chicken thighs and veggies last night. Need to pour over some recipes before tomorrow's shopping trip.

Seems pretty similar to me for rice, but I'm fine with it. I feel like the pressure obliterates the structure of the rice.

My basic recipe is some amount of rice, the exact same amount of water, a few chicken breasts, and then shake in a bunch of soy sauce and garlic powder. Cook it all on the Poultry setting, then do a quick release when you're done. Take of the lid then use a plastic spatula to cut up the chicken and mix it all together. Can also saute with more soy sauce or oil after that, and/or add in a bunch of scrambled eggs.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Seems pretty similar to me for rice, but I'm fine with it. I feel like the pressure obliterates the structure of the rice.

My basic recipe is some amount of rice, the exact same amount of water, a few chicken breasts, and then shake in a bunch of soy sauce and garlic powder. Cook it all on the Poultry setting, then do a quick release when you're done. Take of the lid then use a plastic spatula to cut up the chicken and mix it all together. Can also saute with more soy sauce or oil after that, and/or add in a bunch of scrambled eggs.

could you elaborate a bit? And are you doing low pressure or high?

Off the top of my head I don't remember what default setting the Rice preset uses.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
Going to try making some carnitas in the Pot tomorrow for the fights. This will be the first time I've used the Instant Pot to make something other than chicken breasts.

Oct 25, 2017
could you elaborate a bit? And are you doing low pressure or high?

Off the top of my head I don't remember what default setting the Rice preset uses.

I don't use the rice setting, I use the poultry setting and cook it all together.

I honestly don't know that much about pressure cooking. What I do know is that when I toss in frozen vegetables into my above recipe, then end up with the consistency of mashed potatoes. Like, they LOOK like vegetables, but are secretly a paste that compresses at the slightest touch. THAT's what I mean by the obliterates the internal structure. The rice is only slightly less mushy.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
I don't use the rice setting, I use the poultry setting and cook it all together.

I honestly don't know that much about pressure cooking. What I do know is that when I toss in frozen vegetables into my above recipe, then end up with the consistency of mashed potatoes. Like, they LOOK like vegetables, but are secretly a paste that compresses at the slightest touch. THAT's what I mean by the obliterates the internal structure. The rice is only slightly less mushy.

ah, I get you. Yeah I have only tried it by itself, but it came out much better than rice I have done on my own. Not the mushy mess I tend to do.

Frozen veggies I have only tried saute function with first to get them going. Then I mix in other stuff and do the pressure cooking. So far it's worked pretty well.

But yeah, in my experience so far you can't just always 'throw it in the pot' and go with everything. The various settings, pressure levels and time settings matter and do take a little testing.

machine

Oct 25, 2017

If you throw everything in at once, that happens though. When I make beef with broccoli in the IP, I do the beef first. Then at the very end after I release the pressure, I toss in the broccoli, bring it back up to pressure for just another minute, and do a quick release. This cooks the broccoli without making it completely limp. I use a similar technique with potatoes and carrots in beef stew (unless I want them to liquefy and thicken the stew).

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
My friend was telling me to just put the chicken breast on top of the rice, and just use the rice setting and the chicken would be cooked as well. Is that a good idea, or should I hit poultry instead?

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So pumped to finally get one of these things. Did pho and chicken tikka masala this week, gonna do some lemon chicken tonight