• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
First reported back in November

RsHACVH.jpg

Engadget
PCWorld

Intel's startling marriage with AMD's graphics chips has finally borne fruit, as Intel announced five new Core H-series chips that use two variants of the AMD "Vega M" GPU. The combination of Intel and AMD technology should outperform a last-gen system with a discrete Nvidia chip, Intel says.

The new 8th-generation, quad-core Core i5 and Core i7 chips, together with what AMD calls the Radeon RX Vega M GPU, will power laptops from Dell and HP. They'll also appear in new Intel-branded "Hades Canyon" NUCs, with prices beginning at $799 and $999, Intel said.

Intel originally disclosed that its new processor contained an H-series Core chip, the AMD GPU, and HBM2 memory, all within the same package. We now know the clock speeds of the five Core i5 and i7 cores will range from 3.8GHz to 4.2GHz, and that 4GB of HBM2 memory will accompany both the Vega M GH and Vega M GL, the two GPU versions whose 20 and 24 compute units appear to be much more powerful than AMD's own Ryzen 7 and Ryzen 5 for laptops.

Intel says its new chips will be 7 percent faster in 3DMark versus a Core i7-7700HQ system with an Nvidia GTX 1060 Max-Q (6GB) chip accompanying it, and up to 13 percent faster in games.

Most notable among the new chips—which differ in processor speed, vPro capabilities, and whether they use the Vega M GH and Vega M GL—is the Core i7-8809G. That chip, leaked last week, was the first indication that Intel's new chips would indeed include AMD's Vega cores. It's also the only one of the five chips that totally unlocks the CPU, GPU, and HBM.

Alongside the Core i7-8809G, though, are the Core i7-8709G, the Core i7-8706G, the 3.1Core i7-8705G, and the Core i5-8305G. As the chart below shows, they all share a common cache size (8MB), a common integrated Intel GPU (the Intel HD620), and two memory channels connecting to DDR4-2400 memory.

Unfortunately, the Core cores are probably the least interesting element of the new design, as the Radeon RX Vega M is clearly the star of the show. It's worth noting, though, that these new chips actually include two GPUs: Intel's integrated Intel HD 630 GPU can process video and other less stressful video tasks, leaving the Vega M core to power up if needed.

As for the NUC talked about above:

Intel's new NUC will show off AMD's Vega GPU

We've called Intel's NUC "the future of tiny desktops." That's truer than ever with the newest version of the device, which is powered by the company's new 8th generation CPU with AMD RX Vega M graphics. In fact, it sports the fastest version of that chip, making it an even better desktop replacement. Intel claims it's so powerful, the 1.3 liter NUC is the smallest VR-ready system so far. And based on its specifications, we're inclined to believe them.

The new NUC, codenamed "Hades Canyon," is a bit thicker and taller than the "Skull Canyon" version was saw in 2016. It comes in two versions: the most powerful includes a Core i7-8809G chip with powerful RX Vega M GH graphics, running at speeds between 3.1GHz and 4.2GHz. The other model is still pretty capable, with an i7-8705G chip, a clock speed between 3.1GHz and 4.1GHz and slightly slower RX Vega GL graphics.

No price in the Engadget article but PCworld says "They'll also appear in new Intel-branded "Hades Canyon" NUCs, with prices beginning at $799 and $999, Intel said."

oDGNFVN.png

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Very nice thing indeed. This will be very helpful to laptop gamers, it seems to be a gigantic leap.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This may be the only way you can buy an AMD Vega chip, lmao. Extreme scarcity and inflated prices on standalone Vega GPUs. Still.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Im guessing these are still susceptible to Spectre and Meltdown?

Interesting marriage... Well see if it pays off

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
This may be the only way you can buy an AMD Vega chip, lmao. Extreme scarcity and inflated prices on standalone Vega GPUs. Still.

I would go a step further and say this may be the reason there is a Vega scarcity. Do you think AMD is more likely to A, sell Vega to end users and hope they all get bought, or B, sell them all to Intel where they can negotiate a good price and have reliable income on a product they know will sell?

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017

Or is it...???
Interestingly, though the chip is called the Vega M, Intel won't confirm that it uses the AMD Radeon Vega core. "This is a custom Radeon graphics solution built for Intel," an Intel spokeswoman said in an email. "It is similar to the desktop Radeon RX Vega solution with a high-bandwidth memory cache controller and enhanced compute units with additional Render Output Units."

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
I would go a step further and say this may be the reason there is a Vega scarcity. Do you think AMD is more likely to A, sell Vega to end users and hope they all get bought, or B, sell them all to Intel where they can negotiate a good price and have reliable income on a product they know will sell?

Im still trying to figure out how this exists..

I mean this is awesome for consumers and its really cool in computing in general but isn't this way more in Intels favor than AMD? Out of nowhere Intel has almost a decade old flaw show up, AMD Ryzen chips are uber competitive on market now...

Why would AMD not take advantage of this timing and go all in with their own Ryzen mobile chips w/ Vega iGPU? Why essentially "hand the patents over" in this manner

edit At least its a custom solution for this joint chip, I thought they handed the baby over lol

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
Im still trying to figure out how this exists..

I mean this is awesome for consumers and its really cool in computing in general but isn't this way more in Intels favor than AMD? Out of nowhere Intel has almost a decade old flaw show up, AMD Ryzen chips are uber competitive on market now...

Why would AMD not take advantage of this timing and go all in with their own Ryzen mobile chips w/ Vega iGPU? Why essentially "hand the patents over" in this manner

edit At least its a custom solution for this joint chip, I thought they handed the baby over lol

Because this has been in the works for years--before Ryzen dropped and that flaw was unveiled. Rumors of this came up like 2-3 years ago when Polaris was out and Vega was still completely under wraps, and there was some secret intensive meetings between Intel and AMD. AMD's Vega isn't great as a standalone product, they had a contract with Intel, and their CPU's have their place in the market. I'm kind of surprised AMD hasn't started shoving Zen-based APU's out the door already, but I guess they decided it wasn't worth the effort.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Isn't Max-Q GTX1060 slightly faster than GTX1050ti ?

According to passmark, that cut down 1060 is 10-15% stronger than a 1050 ti. And that 1060 is around 10% weaker than an Rx 470, so the Vega GPu could be near PS4 pro level of performance if it's stronger than the Max-Q 1060.

Lebon30

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Im guessing these are still susceptible to Spectre and Meltdown?
This. Why would anyone want to buy new hardware that is known to have serious bugs

Only Spectre is unsolvable for now. Meltdown can be patched in-software.
And Spectre is much harder to pull-off than Meltdown. Also, these security holes is much more frightening if you are a company with cloud storage, or big servers holding personal information than a mere customer which's computer memory probably don't have any personal info in RAM. Performance-wise, you shouldn't worry about it. Post-Patch tests indicates the performance to be very negligible.
In other words, patch your system for Meltdown and don't worry too much about Spectre.

As for the news itself, that's a very weird combination Intel has there. Hopefully it's succesful so more PCs can come with said combo.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Put one of these in a macbook and i can finally pick up a nice looking work laptop that can actually game.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really interested in what this kind of tech could mean for next gen consoles.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah let us all wait 6 months to 3 years. lol

Only Spectre is unsolvable for now. Meltdown can be patched in-software.
And Spectre is much harder to pull-off than Meltdown. Also, these security holes is much more frightening if you are a company
with cloud storage, or big servers holding personal information than a mere customer which's computer memory probably don't have any personal info in RAM. Performance-wise, you shouldn't worry about it.Post-Patch tests indicates the performance to be very negligible.
In other words, patch your system for Meltdown and don't worry too much about Spectre.

As for the news itself, that's a very weird combination Intel has there. Hopefully it's succesful so more PCs can come with said combo.

My PC turns ten next year, but still I'd rather wait another 3 than knowingly paying money for a flawed product.
Vote with your wallet has no meaning nowadays it seems, as everyone tries to brush off and ignore serious concerns.
But hey, if you feel comfortable rewarding a company that has known about this bug for along time, yet still could not be bothered to fix it with its latest iteration... be my guest

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
So what does this mean for the price of laptops? You can already get a pretty powerful gaming laptop , the issue is more that they are super expensive. Any chance laptops with this technology will be a bit cheaper?

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Mh, maybe it's time to finally buy a new laptop later this year. Doesn't have to be top of the line, but should be able to run some 1080p stuff in (really) low details like Pubg.

This is suspected to hit laptops and mass markets this year?

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My PC turns ten next year, but still I'd rather wait another 3 than knowingly paying money for a flawed product.
Vote with your wallet has no meaning nowadays it seems, as everyone tries to brush off and ignore serious concerns.
But hey, if you feel comfortable rewarding a company that has known about this bug for along time, yet still could not be bothered to fix it with its latest iteration... be my guest

Got to be nice to live in that world where you live. ;-) I would love to say this in my company, but life is not that easy.

Mh, maybe it's time to finally buy a new laptop later this year. Doesn't have to be top of the line, but should be able to run some 1080p stuff in (really) low details like Pubg.

This is suspected to hit laptops and mass markets this year?

It "could" be next year but it could also be in 2020.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
An RX 580 has 36 compute units so this probably won't touch a desktop GPU, but it's a massive jump for integrated cards that's for sure.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I think selling that GPU as "VR-ready" is a borderline scam.

You won't have a good time in most VR games with it.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
Apart from the ugly skull, that's a pretty sexy computer. Very neat specs for something the size of a Wii U.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
AMD did just announce the 2200u. Maybe they can downclock/undervolt, disable CUs/cores/smt. Seems like a much better fit for a "GPD win3" to me. (I don't know wtf I'm talking about).
Yeah, an undervolted/clocked 2200u iteration seems much more appropriate to a gpd win 3.

You get a much better gpu out of that, which seems more critical to a gaming device.

It would have to be undervolted or better binned by quite a bit as it targets a 15W power envelope.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm been looking at laptops with a 1060 to replace my wife's old one, this might just make that wait abit longer now depending on price.

Croash

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so tired of using a huge tower as a desktop pc, so if we eventually get tiny boxes with enough power in them (kinda like what the Xbox One X is aiming for), I would be more than happy to jump in.
For now my GTX 670 will suffice until 2020 or whenever such technology goes beyond its baby steps.

...I guess I'd best prepare myself for disappointment and think about building another mountain in my living room T_T

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That Radeon Vega Icon is so good. Hope the Ryzen with Vega have that icon seal too.

Nachtmaer

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so tired of using a huge tower as a desktop pc, so if we eventually get tiny boxes with enough power in them (kinda like what the Xbox One X is aiming for), I would be more than happy to jump in.
For now my GTX 670 will suffice until 2020 or whenever such technology goes beyond its baby steps.

...I guess I'd best prepare myself for disappointment and think about building another mountain in my living room T_T
I have a feeling that this doesn't need to be pointed out, but there are a number of size options between this and a full tower without sacrificing much, if any, performance.

Not that this matters in any way, but I find it rather funny that nowhere AMD gets mentioned, just RX Vega. A couple of days ago Intel didn't shy away from namedropping AMD and ARM in their damage control.

Deleted member 30887

User requested account closure.
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I have a feeling that this doesn't need to be pointed out, but there are a number of size options between this and a full tower without sacrificing much, if any, performance.

But now that hbm apus are a thing (not really but almost there) we could finally get DIY smaller than itx boards/cases (no pci16, no/1ram slot). I've been thinking of this ever since hbm was announced. And we all know Intel will just sell us overpriced nucs instead so I'm hoping AMD will give us the option.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Do these intel chips still have the circuits for the intel integrated graphics?

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

Source? Wasn't this bug discovered a few months ago?

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This has great potential for a little emulator box capable of running GC/Wii/PS2/Wii U emulators at 1080p! CPU is very good and that graphic chip should be enough to push out the native resolution to 1080p, especially for these older games.

Kind of interested!