• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Love ico, but the HD release had a speed running trophy that was actually fairly intense for a normal person. Had to read up on strats, watch a few videos on trouble areas etc. Thinking on it now it's like damn I couldn't immediately do it again. Time jeez

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I was in a school-sponsored daycare , basically, one summer when I was 8 years old. I had a gameboy and a copy of Pokemon Red. I didn't want to talk to any of the other kids so I did an item dupe glitch (maybe I had a gameshark?) for infinite rare candies, leveled up all of my pokemon to the max, and then renamed all of them to "Sherman". I do not know where I got that name. I do not know why I was so averse to socializing. It was a long summer.

ravelordnito

Unshakable Resolve
May 17, 2021
I'm currently working on completing all Halo campaigns on Legendary. It's far much easier if you learn the skips to avoid the most intense fights. The problem is that most of these skips are hard to pull off, so I spend more time trying to perform the trick than actually playing through the mission. It is fun when you manage to pull it off though.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
For Ico, I had to use 2 controllers for that.

The most time I've wasted on trophy was finding all the shards in the first Infamous game. The game never indicate where you can find the shards and where you found it and I only need like 2 more. So...I had to print out the whole map and them scratch them out one by one --- there are 350 shards total.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chance Hale

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Also never saying learning a games in and outs is a waste but more I did it for a trophy and years later I remember none of it lol

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
The "… Becomes the Master" Troph in Titanfall 2. I guess on PC it might be pretty easy but doing this on PS4, oh boy.
Here's to waiting for someone who got the Wolfenstein 2 platinum.

Baybob

Oct 4, 2019
On the final level of cluster truck I wasted several hours trying to beat it without any abilities. In the end I gave up.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Basically learning every RGG game inside and out for the completion list trophies. I've become rather accustomed to the lists and love doing them now! And as a result I've developed a rather fondness for Koi Koi and Mahjoing! Its also helped me learn Outrun way better than I ever could in the past.

Likewise, right now I'm working on a trophy in Capcom Arcade Stadium that requires you to hit the max rank in the game - which requires you to get 100,000,000 CASPO. You get points by playing games and doing challenges - certain challenges give you more points and the better you are, the better your points score. I spend most of yesterday playing Strider and I've found I can almost 1CC it which is neat. I'm actually really enjoying the trophy as the challenges rotate on a weekly basis and learning different games has been a real blast.

Oh, and I got pretty good at Mega Man 10 back in the day going for the "Mr Perfect" trophy (dont get hit once). Did it 3 times in the end (PS3/360/Wii). Fun stuff!

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I was in a school-sponsored daycare , basically, one summer when I was 8 years old. I had a gameboy and a copy of Pokemon Red. I didn't want to talk to any of the other kids so I did an item dupe glitch (maybe I had a gameshark?) for infinite rare candies, leveled up all of my pokemon to the max, and then renamed all of them to "Sherman". I do not know where I got that name. I do not know why I was so averse to socializing. It was a long summer.
Pokemon Red has the Missing No glitch. Also rare candy sucks for leveling.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I've talked about it before but grinding covenant marks in Dark Souls 3 was just ~8 hours time sink based on my memory of listening to a LOT of Retronauts to get me through it.

myth

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 15, 2021
I dont know about most intense, but the werewolf perk achievement in Skyrim was very anoying

Res-bot

Nov 11, 2017
I got all the Neir Automata trophies which unlocked the platinum trophy. I thought wow what an achievement and what did I have to bring myself to do to earn that plat. I thought I was in rarified circles and checked out the % of people who also got plat and thought okay 8.9% - not that rare. But still, good on me, I did it. I'm really happy with myself.

Turns out you can buy trophies from one of the NPCs...

Oct 27, 2017
I'm working on "When I'm with You" in DOOM II. Haven't got it yet, but I'm slowly getting better at the only actual hurdle in the whole game: The Living End.

Once I get that, the coast is clear and it's easy sailing to get the Plat.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I ruined my first GTA IV playthrough trying to get the Liberty City Minute achievement.

Mazz

Nov 11, 2017
Most recently the platinum for Returnal and Demon's Souls.
Returnal requires a LOT of replays since you find collectibles in rooms that can have a very low chance of spawning. Demon's was annoying too since you have to mess around with world tendencies, and it's easy to screw up.

m0therzer0

Mobile Gaming Product Manager
Verified
Nov 19, 2017
San Francisco bay area
I really wanted the Platinum for Overwatch. One of the final two trophies I need is Zenyatta's Rapid Discord, and there's no simple strategy to get it other than the perfect circumstances, and most people I've read who have it say it was just blind luck when it occurred. I spent so, so long on all the other trophies leading up to where I'm at, but at this point I just have to give up. It's not going to happen.

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland
I imagine they're a bit passé now, but getting all achievements in Modern Warfare 1 and 2 was some real sweaty palm action.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently going for 100% completion in Yakuza 0 and yeah.....there's way too many mini games and systems going on. I've already decided that I'm going to use the Shogi cheating strategy where you install a Shogi app on your phone and then emulate all the moves that the AI is doing on your phone.

I've already finished the Business completion list and almost all of the Battle and Adventure ones. Just have to get some gear items, beat randos in the coliseum, and finish the dancing + Amon substory for Kiryu. It's the mini games that are really going to be a grind.

I imagine they're a bit passé now, but getting all achievements in Modern Warfare 1 and 2 was some real sweaty palm action.
Veteran difficult honestly was broken in those games. Just no fun at all. Also I must have done that last mission rescuing try VIP in the plane like a hundred times.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
The most annoying one I remember getting was the "Final Level of Awesomeness" in Rayman Legends. I want to say you needed 5000 "points" in order to reach the final level of awesomeness and 100%ing the game only gave you 3000. You had to get the others by doing the dailies and weeklies. They were all endless runner challenges where you would compete against other players. A top 50% on the leaderboard gave you bronze and point, a top 20% gave you silver and 5 points, top 10% gave you gold and 10 points, top 1% gave you platinum and 50 points.

The game sold so poorly there were only like 1000 people even bothering with the dailies every week so getting top 1% meant getting a top 10 score. That was impossible(though I did manage it once). I got to a point where I could reliably get a safe Gold top 10% score in 5 minutes or so the odd time it would get bumped down to silver from other players and I had to do these dailies every day for 4 months getting 15-20 points/day to get these extra 2000 points.

When I logged in to get my points from the previous days dailies on the day I passed the threshold and should have got the trophy, Ubi's servers crapped out for a second and the trophy didn't pop. The only way to make the trophy pop was to delete my save file and 100% the game again because my points from the dailies would stay intact but all the single player points would be taken away and I had to copy my save to an external storage device once I was close in case the servers crapped out again the next time I passed the threshold. Its 25+ hours to 100% that game and I had to do it all over again.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Not really intense but a huge waste of time.
Wanted to get the Rayman Legends platinum whuch required a bunch of daily / weekly online challenge achievements. After a week or so I started to count the points I needed for the trophy and realized it would require me to do these challenges for weeks or even months at which point I immediately dropped it.

/edit

Beat me to it. Kudos for sticking with it.
Wasn't Legends remade a while ago? If so, are these online trophies still in the game?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The most time I've wasted is the plat for Sekiro. In addition to doing two and a half playthroughs, you needed to unlock all skills, which took ages to grind the exp for. It took like three hours just to do that part in the end, so it's not the end of the world, but I felt pretty grody about it. You also needed to beat all bosses, and I was intent on beating the Demon of Hatred fairly which really, really sucked. If I ever play that game again, I'm cheesing that dude off the edge of the arena.

Last edited:

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I fought Adamantoise in FF XV.

I will never fight Adamantoise in FF XV, or generally play FF XV again.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires is probably one of the most outright time-consuming ones I managed. It's not exactly a game of skill but the platinum is rare in part to the fact that you need to commit minimum ~20 playthroughs and earning every single "Title" in the game, a special designation given when you complete a set of goals, stuff that wasn't clarified until other players online listed the exact requirements, and many of the titles are on shared tiers, where you can never earn a new title on an equal or lesser tier than the one you're currently at. Many of the endgame ones require multiple missions of a certain type, dozens of invasions or defense battles, or a long amount of time passed in-game. Most musou games have a tedious platinum but that one stood out to me, much less engaging than the likes of Samurai Warriors 4.

There was also a thing for having 3 concurrent invasions to your territory at the same time and that felt completely luck based, brute-forcing that into happening took more time than I would've thought.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
Killing 100.000 enemies in Gears 2 by mowing down Locust with the Brumak over and over and over again.

Edit: Oh wait, no that wasn't exactly intense lol
The most intense must've been doing the coop Spec-Ops missions in MW2 by myself with two controllers. That was nuts. It did not work in MW3 tho, I was too weak.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I spent far too many hours (can t remember how many... 10 ? 12 ? ) farming Tetrahedron from Adamantaimai in FFXIII... partly because i wanted that ultimate weapon, and partly because i wanted the Theme tied to game completion.

joffocakes

Nov 15, 2017
The final final dungeon in Yakuza Like A Dragon was a lot of fun and a far more challenging obstacle than anything before it but you basically needed to be max level for your full party as well as a handful of their jobs so it took a 10 to 20 hour grind of fighting the same batch of enemies over and over again which was absolutely a waste of time.

The game should just give you the option to max out your levels in the menu by that point, rather than asking you to endure a repetitive grind.

JulianV

Apr 10, 2018
I got the Platinum for GTA 4, 5 on ps3 and ps4 and Red Dead Redemption 1. Gta 5 is just time consuming, GTA 4 had some online trophies that needed a good team. And I'm still working on my final Mortal Kombat 9 trophy that asks you to play 24 hours and more stuff with each character.

Brando

Oct 25, 2017
I really wanted the Platinum for Overwatch. One of the final two trophies I need is Zenyatta's Rapid Discord, and there's no simple strategy to get it other than the perfect circumstances, and most people I've read who have it say it was just blind luck when it occurred. I spent so, so long on all the other trophies leading up to where I'm at, but at this point I just have to give up. It's not going to happen.
If you're on playstation there's a boosting community that does the trophies every weekend. Check psnprofiles.com.

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
I've recently gone back to Metal Gear Rising. I got the Platinum back in the day, but then they added DLC trophies, and not having 100% has bothered me ever since.

I've been grinding out these VR missions and good lord are they a pain in the arse.

Keio

Nov 5, 2017
I know it wasn't impossible, but Mile High Club in Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare on Veteran stopped me from platinuming it.

Keiriks

Omicron Persei 8 Logic
Aug 19, 2021
Reykjavík, Iceland
It's been almost ten years but it still weighs heavy on my soul.

I got the platinum trophy in Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2. This in itself isn't too big a deal if you savescum but it's still a big ol grind. I, however, decided I needed to 100% the gallery which you cannot do without completing several NG+ runs.

So, on top of all the grindy bullshit for the trophies, like raising every single character (and there are fifteen of them) to level 99, I did a cool seven or eight full playthroughs of this deeply mediocre RPG. The bad ending in particular takes forever and is almost impossible to do without a guide.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
Killzone 2 weekly leaderboard multiplayer trophies. Even with them being boosted, it was intense and touch and go. Then beating the campaign and Radec on Elite difficulty was even worse.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
Most recently the stupid Final Millennium Tower dungeon in Yakuza. Grinding on Vagabonds in the underground for hours was so boring that I would mute the game and listen to podcasts over it.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
Farming this in Dark Souls 3:

t5iBEBF.png

Although the more recent was leveling up from 50 to 99 in Adventures of Mana. I will never see elephants the same way.

RadioHeadAche

Oct 26, 2017
Platinum for Aliens vs Predator 2010. By the time I played the game, multiplayer was mostly dead, mostly. I earned all 18k or so exp on my own, save for 100-200 I got farming, but yeah. All because I wanted the platinum named "Not bad for a human"

Supposedly there's an exploit you can use to get all that exp in twenty minutes, but at the time was patched out or only possible with custom firmware I think.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Killzone 2 weekly leaderboard multiplayer trophies. Even with them being boosted, it was intense and touch and go. Then beating the campaign and Radec on Elite difficulty was even worse.

That's not difficult at all, because (at least I remember) the people who already got it does not count anymore, so the criteria for getting that trophy gets transferred to the next person who has not the trophy yet, no matter his position in the leader boards.

Again, that's what I remember, I remember not having an issue with that trophy at all....now beating Redec on the hardest difficulty , that was intense and cost me one controller 😕.

Another ones for me:

Many years later I'm still working on the Seriously 2.2 from Gears of War 2, the only GoW game I have a small chance to 100%.

Call of Duty: World at War was an absolute nightmare to complete in Veteran.

Uncharted online trophies were a complete waste of time. Same for Resident Evil 5 online trophies.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
I think at this point I've put more time into getting the Crimson Wastes Survey trophy than I have the entire rest of Returnal. I've easily spent a good 30 hours across different runs exploring that entire area top to bottom.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
That's not difficult at all, because (at least I remember) the people who already got it does not count anymore, so the criteria for getting that trophy gets transferred to the next person who has not the trophy yet, no matter his position in the leader boards.

Again, that's what I remember, I remember not having an issue with that trophy at all....now beating Redec on the hardest difficulty , that was intense and cost me one controller 😕.

At the time I did Killzone 2's online trophies it was I think a year or so prior to the server shutdown and the player count was extremely low and my placement would fluctuate daily (one or two days out of the week I'm not sure I was at top 1% of the weekly). I logged in when I got it and was surprised (I thought I would have to redo it).

Radec cost me a controller and a copy of the game (I tend to snap discs in half out of anger when extremely frustrated).

Uncharted 2 & 3 multiplayer trophies were also intense for me - especially Uncharted 3's 100%. I did Uncharted 2's online trophies a year before the shutdown and did Uncharted 3's online trophies six months before the shutdown.

I agree that they were waste of time. Although the PS4 versions 100% are even more intense (must beat the games on Brutal difficulty).

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Grinded all my characters to level 255, earned a ton of money to purchase tri-emblems to stack on my weapons for maximum stat bonuses, and then suffered through the 5 hour long postgame dungeon and 3 hour long Ethereal Queen fight in Star Ocean 4 for a trophy.