• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You should mark the title of this thread as spoilers.

The end of the game makes it obvious we are in a new FF7 timeline / universe and the survival of Zach has heavy implications for other characters. Cloud and Co. will 100% be going to Gold Saucer and Jesse will be on stage performing; however, she will have no idea who you are due to her never being an Avalanche member in this timeline.

Hedgey

Oct 29, 2017
I thought this was heavily implied that she'll show up later even without this extra comment.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
This was something speculated from Maximilian Dood (and many others), that the party would bump into an alternate Jessie who never joined avalanche in game 2 as a performer at the golden saucer.

It's interesting they seem to be confirming this as the direction.

kenji_sama

Nov 23, 2017
OMG, it means that
They jump into another alternative timeline in which Jack is still alive. This may cause confusion in the next game

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
You should mark the title of this thread as spoilers.

The end of the game makes it obvious we are in a new FF7 timeline / universe and the survival of Zach has heavy implications for other characters. Cloud and Co. will 100% be going to Gold Saucer and Jesse will be on stage performing; however, she will have no idea who you are due to her never being an Avalanche member in this timeline.

I still think we're going to get a continuation of the main storyline with the Zack timeline being separate, either as DLC or as some sort of weird occasional interlude. I just can't see them completely pivoting to it when it'd completely undermine everything we saw in the first part (and fundamentally break a lot of the backstory we've built up, especially Cloud and Aerith's relationship). The only explanation for Biggs surviving is that Zack was there to help out during the sector fall and if that's the case then everyone in the cast knows he's alive.

It'll be neat to see in a way but I just can't see it being permanent.

Last edited:

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah this was totally the way I was expecting the sequels to go. I'm happy about it because I really enjoyed Jessie's character in the remake.
It would be even cooler if this alternate version of Jessie joins as a playable character too

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The next game is gonna be an absolute alternate timelines mess and I'm all for it.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
It seems that as someone who didn't play the original, this game and its sequels are going to be FFXVI, FXXVI-2 and it goes on.

I get why they are doing that but...lulz, I just wanted to experience the original story with fancy graphics.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Aug 10, 2019
I think that FF7 Remake lacks the balls that the original one had, and that when all the characters that died in the original magically survived in the Remake, it makes their struggle and the villain seem weak.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
OMG, it means that
They jump into another alternative timeline in which Jack is still alive. This may cause confusion in the next game
Yeah thats kind of what it seems like. Tbh
I've been suspecting for a while that we don't return to the place we left after fighting Sephiroth. Zack was evidently gone for Aerith in part 1 but by the end of it he's alive again. Whether in the same timeline as us or not is anyones guess, but under that same pretense theres no real reason to assume we're in the timeline we started in by the end of the game either.

Oct 25, 2017
Timeline fuckery is the most boring shit in the world, but it can definitely serve as a great excuse for fanservice moments like this. I'm personally really looking forward to Cloud and Zack meeting. I would have loved if that actually happened at the end, with Zack carrying Cloud actually meeting Cloud and party at the end and credits rolling.

Not expecting much in terms of good storytelling, but it'll be a fanservice wild ride, and I'm in for it.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else thinks it could just be recorded footage of a young Jessie playing at the Gold Saucer?

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Could of course just be a recovered item but people speculate that it means more

Problem is how the hell could there even be an undamaged glove of Jessie to be recovered considering the position of Jessie when the plate drops. The only way I could see that happen is if whoever got Biggs out also got Jessie but she died later. Maybe Cait Sith got them out since you see him fall to his knees when the plate drops but who knows what he did before that while Avalanche was fighting

Anyway potentially more Jessie? LETS GO
tenor.gif

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
We're just a few steps away from a spin-off/sequel that releases only on handhelds or mobile but is still somewhat integral to the plot...aren't we?

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Wait a damn minute, now I'm confused.

How does Zack surviving lead to no Avalanche?
Seeing Biggs wake up didn't suggest to me that the tower battle never happened, jus that his fate was changed

ls it a completely different timeline now?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
we all know what's gonna happen, but be coy like a cutie 😉

Tygerjaw

Oct 25, 2017
I still hope they don't mess the story too much with this timelines bullshit. I also don't see the ending of the game as confirmation that they will do it.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
People didn't believe me when I said that
Midgar was displaced at the end of the game into an alternate timeline where zack made it to Midgar and survived the events of Crisis Core carrying Cloud there, thus creating a ripple effect that, among other things, pushed Jessie to being an actress in the gold saucer rather then being involved with Avalanche,
but who's laughing now?!?

Very interesting that he would say something so conformational so offhandedly, bur Toriyama is a huge ass creep who never shut up about his obsession with lightning, so I can see him just being a creepo rather then being coy about the plot.

Either way, the conversation about this game rages on...

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People didn't believe me when I said that
Midgar was displaced at the end of the game into an alternate timeline where zack made it to Midgar and survived the events of Crisis Core carrying Cloud there, thus creating a ripple effect that, among other things, pushed Jessie to being an actress in the gold saucer rather then being involved with Avalanche,
but who's laughing now?!?

Very interesting that he would say something so conformational so offhandedly, bur Toriyama is a huge ass creep who never shut up about his obsession with lightning, so I can see him just being a creepo rather then being coy about the plot.

Either way, the conversation about this game rages on...
So there are two Clouds, Tifas, etc.?

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
When at the end of Part 6 the party jumps to Timeline 4 to get another Aerith that no one cares about and they put her in the exact spot that Sephiroth falls in the Forgotten City so the other three Aeriths from the original timeline, the remake Part 1 one and the new one are saved, but then this whole trip ends in Part 8 when Cloud disappears slowly into dust while holding hands with Tifa because You Shall Not Mess With Fate And Timelines And You Should Have Learned This By The 30th Square-Enix Game That Attempted It By Now.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I still think we're going to get a continuation of the main storyline with the Zack timeline being separate, either as DLC or as some sort of weird occasional interlude. I just can't see them completely pivoting to it when it'd completely undermine everything we saw in the first part (and fundamentally break a lot of the backstory we've built up, especially Cloud and Aerith's relationship). The only explanation for Biggs surviving is that Zack was there to help out during the sector fall and if that's the case then everyone in the cast knows he's alive.

It'll be neat to see in a way but I just can't see it being permanent.
the whole point of the ending is to fundamentally break the backstory. Literally nothing is off the table in regards to how this story can play out. They aren't beholden to anything.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to assume he means at most some kind of flashback or maybe a video at Golden Saucer because if not then what the fuck is that team thinking?

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
So there are two Clouds, Tifas, etc.?
Take what I'm saying with a grain of salt, it's just a theory.

That's rhe most air tight part, Midgar itself was displaced, but not the planet. The only things that would have a second timeline equivalent would he outside of Midgar, so Jessie would be at the gold saucer, but if she survived and was still in Midgar by the end, there would be two jessies.

There wouldn't be more then one of any of the main cast (EXCEPT MAYBE CLOUD, DUN DUN DAA!) because they were either always in Midgar during the events of FFVII Remake, or were always outside of it. Tifa and Barret and Red XIII and Aerith never left Midgar during the time between Zack arriving (which I mark as the point the Midgar was displaced, roughly a month or two before FFVII starts or something) and the end of Remake.

And everyone outside of midgar, like Yuffie, Vincent, and Cid, weren't in there during that time anyway, so there isn't a reason for them to be displaced, not to mention they literally have just been living their life at the time so like, nothing should change with them anyway.

Cait Sith is a different story, but suffice to say they aren't an issue either.

I can only assume, for really cool story purposes, that Midger was actually, Literally displaced to right after Zack's last stand, as the ending implies through the shared experience of the glittery rain both in midgar and with zack, framed to be happening at the same time.

So while Zack carrying Cloud didn't literally pass Aerith and Cloud in the ending, they Figuratively and Practically did.

Zack went home and plyed his new trade as a Merc for hire with Avalanche as Cloud was left to recover with Tifa, and went on basically the same missions and adventures as Cloud did on FFVII, only as a happy-go-lucky guy with massively more power and training then Cloud's moody patootie.

This basically went the same way though, with the exception that Zack literally had positive connections with some of ShinRa's employees like the Turks, and would have left Midgar on affable terms, or at least would have had a... different reaction to the Plate Drop situation, I'm fuzzy on how that would go. Probably would make zack a bit PO'd : P

Anyway, bottom line here, I'm messing up a lot of my original theory here, but the point is, Cloud would recover a lot better and Zack would basically be taking the place of cloud in the story, only with his Crisis Core Loose ends making up a deviation from FFVII's plot, making him leave Midgar early and set out to find Sephiroth himself while taking cloud with him, and leaving Aerith for her safety (or maybe sue comes with, I dunno, there are holes in this for sure).

SO, BOTTOM LINE, there are probably gonna be a Cloud and a Zack from the new timeline doing stuff ahead of the party, and either new cloud or old cloud (old cloud having muscle memory of the last timeline through sephiroth's connection, more subversed then Aerith's actual legit knowledge of what happened in FFVII) are gonna be a pawn of sephiroth to maintain the bringing of Reunion so he can snag Meteor without his shit getting messed up this time.

It's gonna get crazier then it was in FFVII, but is mostly gonna be the same, only Zack is gonna tie into it in the endgame of Part 2, and heavier divergences will occur at the Temple of the Ancients onward.

Wait I messed up what I thought back then, what will actually happen is:

Zack and Cloud will arrive at Midgar after the events of FFVII Remake, with ShinRa sending the Turks to persue and watch the party, and moving forward with intergrating Rufus as the new president, as per FFVII. Zack will look for Aerith back in the slums and find her gone, and will establish communication with Cissnei somehow, and find out that she left Midgar for some reason. He'll then leave in pursuit of her, and this is where I get fuzzy.

I'm pretty sure he's just gonna take Cloud with him still too, because there is nobody in Midgar that can take care of him while he recovers, right? Maybe they rest for a sec while Zack looks for Aerith and tries to contact Cissnei and Tseng, but outside of that New Cloud will likely still be pretty out of it as time goes, meaning it's not out of line for him to literally be the perfect puppet for Sephiroth to manipulate on the side to get stuff done.

Zack won't offically meet the party until some climactic endgame of Part 2, maybe even Part 3. But he'll be around.

Last edited:

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Actually my uncle that works at Square told me it's about the spinoff rhythm game for Remake.