• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cable Has Changed.
PlayStation Vue, SlingTV, and DirecTV Now are the Big Three of Internet Television. Each have their pros and cons, each cater to different needs. This thread is the place to talk about them and all new Internet TV services. I'll start with detailing the Big Three.

Channel Lineups will be lifted from Wikipedia. Links to services are the section headers.

PlayStation Vue
Launched to the entire United States in March 2016, PlayStation Vue is the only Internet TV service available on PlayStation game consoles.
Pros:
  • Unlimited Hours Cloud DVR Included with base price. 28 day content refresh.
  • Smooth as butter on PS4, desktop, and mobile apps
  • Part of PlayStation ecosystem
Cons:
  • Missing key content providers (Viacom and locals for most of the country)
  • Laggy interface on streaming boxes like FireTV (even the brand new one)
  • Overpriced, all plans going up $5 effective 7/24/18
Channel Lineup:
psvue23urx.png

SlingTV
One of the very first Internet Television services, SlingTV was launched by Dish Network in February 2015 and focused on tailored TV packages.
Pros:
  • Cheapest option, multiple packages to mix and match.
  • Available on most devices, including the Xbox One.
Cons:
  • Odd channel offerings (IE has Nick Jr, NickToons, and TeenNick but not standard Nickelodeon)
  • Cloud DVR is an extra $5 and limited to 50 hours.
  • Quality of stream is uneven.
Channel Lineup:
sling3ykzf.png

DirecTV Now

Launched November 2016, DirecTV Now offers the most complete channel lineup of any of the Internet TV services, and as you can guess is provided by DirecTV.
Pros:
  • Almost complete channel lineup, no notable omissions that I can see outside of locals.
  • Decent pricing tiers
  • $5 HBO and $8 Showtime
Cons:
  • Not available on any game consoles
  • Cloud DVR costs extra
  • Unintuitive user interface (apparently its getting a new UI soon)
Channel Lineup:
dtvnriurd.png

Philo TV
Launched November 2017, Philo TV offers a cheap sports-free packaged that covers a decent swath of channels. Its a work in progress. Pairs well with PlayStation Vue Access tier.
Pros:
  • Has Viacom and A&E channels, no sports.
  • Very cheap.
  • Includes unlimited-hour 30-day cloud DVR for free.
  • Great quality
Cons:
  • Not on any game console yet.
  • Guide is a bit wonky on desktop, no guide anywhere else.
Channel Lineup:
philoj0oe2.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

streamingbundlescompared-100751115-orig.jpg

These are all Internet Television, just cable over ethernet. None are fundamentally different from what you'd get from Comcast outside of generally being cheaper and not needing cable boxes and contracts. A la carte isn't here and may never come, but right now Internet TV is a great alternative to cable.

Cable. Cable Never Changes

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Is there a current recommendation? I was thinking about jumping on this last year, the vue at the time still had Viacom channels and was the only one with DVR. Now the vue still does not have Viacom and others have DVR.

Any of these packages have on demand? Mainly looking for walking dead

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Great OP, we have Playstation Vue and couldn't be happier. I know Vue has a lot of on demand stuff but not EVERYTHING.

One thing though to keep in mind, and I think its going to be more and more a problem going forward, is that ISPs are putting in data caps and any Internet TV solutions run up hard against them. Conveniently (for the ISPs), if you subscribe to your ISPs TV package (cable or streaming) that doesn't count, which feels like it is a violation of net neutrality but I guess few think so.

Youtube also recently introduced YouTube TV, don't know much about it.

We use amazon fire for the apps, thats the other area that I think is very hit and miss. I'd love to get a service for my parents but I don't wanna have them need another device, remote control, etc vs the single one they have right now that controls their TV and cable box. Samsung TVs for example have a pretty good list of apps but stuff like Playstation Vue and I think Sling is missing.

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a current recommendation? I was thinking about jumping on this last year, the vue at the time still had Viacom channels and was the only one with DVR. Now the vue still does not have Viacom and others have DVR.

When the Cloud DVR goes public I'd recommend DirecTV Now if you want the most channels for your money. I use Vue now and it's wearing out it's welcome. The only thing keeping me on the service is the DVR. Not having Viacom sucks and the price is just too high.

I believe that all of them have On Demand.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
When the Cloud DVR goes public I'd recommend DirecTV Now if you want the most channels for your money. I use Vue now and it's wearing out it's welcome. The only thing keeping me on the service is the DVR. Not having Viacom sucks and the price is just too high.

I believe that all of them have On Demand.

So just hang on with cable until DirectTV Now has DVR.

RayFoxII

Oct 25, 2017
California
I've tried all 3 in your post + Hulu and so far PlayStation Vue has been the best for me. DirectvNow had a ton of quality/connection problems for me when I using them earlier this year. SlingTV is okay but I dislike their UI and the cost for the channels I want isn't great compared to PSVue. And as you said, Hulu just doesn't have much yet.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Somehow I thought it was this month that Vue was going to raise rates, apparently not.

Still only have 1 local channel here, wonder which side is being the bigger dick about it.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
Great idea for a thread! People need to be more informed about these options.

Had Vue for over a year and loved it, but with the recent price increase and restrictions relating to needing to be in your home network, I switched to YouTube TV. YouTube TV is missing Turner networks (TNT, TBS, CNN), but it is pretty fantastic even though it is basically mobile only with Chromecast and Airplay support. I like the flexibility of it and how you can add 6 separate users to one account, and it doesn't seem to constantly check whether you are in your home network so I've been able to split it with my brother who lives down the street from me; something I wish I could do with Vue. I'd honestly go back to Vue in a second if they added some type of "family plan" option.

Also want to point out that SlingTV actually has a really extensive International programming service with a ton of channels not listed in the OP. I'm mainly bringing that up for some of my fellow Indian American posters (they have a ton of options for Hindi, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, etc).

CLaddyOnFire

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas City
How exactly does the DirecTV Now work? Do they send you a box/remote for it, or is it just an app for Smart TVs, consoles, etc.? Does navigation work pretty much exactly like live cable does?

CLaddyOnFire

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas City
These are all apps on things like the FireTV.
Hmm okay cool. Any secret fees involved with any of these (specifically DTVN)? My current cable/internet bill is "$79.99/month" but ends up at $140/month after all the BS fees like the "broadcast station surcharge," "sports programming surcharge," "franchise fee," cost of an HD+DVR box, etc. so I'm really hoping that the advertised $50/month really is $50/month.

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm okay cool. Any secret fees involved with any of these (specifically DTVN)? My current cable/internet bill is "$79.99/month" but ends up at $140/month after all the BS fees like the "broadcast station surcharge," "sports programming surcharge," "franchise fee," cost of an HD+DVR box, etc. so I'm really hoping that the advertised $50/month really is $50/month.
Outside of potentially having taxes in some locations, no. The price you see is the price you pay. That's the bit drawn of this, no equipment fees, no contracts, etc.

Baconbitz

Oct 27, 2017
I tried YouTube TV.
Pros:
. Unlimited DVR
. Can start anywhere on all programming
. Apple TV and Google Chromecast support

Cons:
. Not many channels. Some channels depending on the area are OnDemand only.
. Ui is ok. I'd prefer there be a guide tab

AMAGON

Prominent Member
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Been using DTVN since day one, besides technical issues during the beginning, it has exceeded my expectations. Especially getting the early bird special with locking in the bigger channel package for a cheap price.

Also aside, the channel lineup is up my alley.

pestul

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely nothing is available in Canada unless you VPN or use illegal streams. I hope that changes soon.

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
We've had Sling Blue for a while now. Grandfathered $19.99 rate plus free DVR from being part of the beta. Normally all of this would be $29.98 instead of $19.99.

Personally, I love it. The whole reason I have it in the first place is for sports. I want to be able to watch Mavericks, Rangers, and Stars losing streaks, because I'm masochistic. The added benefit is we watch several shows in-season on FX, AMC, and Mr. Robot (USA). Otherwise I'd definitely have to season pass at least a half dozen shows that would normally be $25+ per season.

Arcticfox

Oct 27, 2017
Do any of them have 5.1 audio? I use PlayStation Vue and I like it, but I would switch in a second for surround sound.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone watch football with Vue? I can get the Fox and CBS games but not games on NBC. Do I have to get that extra $10 sports package for that?

Luschient

Oct 30, 2017
I have Vue now and it's great. I get all 4 of the big local channels (Fox, NBC, ABC, CBS).

I'll try out YouTube TV when they get an Apple TV app.

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone watch football with Vue? I can get the Fox and CBS games but not games on NBC. Do I have to get that extra $10 sports package for that?

Don't forget that most of the time you can use an antenna unless you're really in the middle of nowhere or have some crazy terrain/buildings around you.

Red Cadet 015

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have experience with YouTube TV? I've been thinking of pulling the trigger and dumping FIOS but I bitched out a few months ago because they lowered my payment.

Frankish

Oct 25, 2017
USA
FuboTV is the best IMO for football/soccer fans. Particularly if you like Serie A, La Liga, and/or Ligue Un.

It's the only service that let's you DVR all the beIN substations, so you literally never miss a game if you don't want to.

The UI is terrible though.

Last edited:

Aorange999

Oct 27, 2017
Using DirecTV Now for a while now. It used to have massive connectivity issues when I had Spectrum but now with Fios it's pretty solid. I locked in the $35 expanded lineup with a free Apple TV so it's definitely paid for itself in the months we've had it versus the$180 we were paying Time Warner.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
Don't forget that most of the time you can use an antenna unless you're really in the middle of nowhere or have some crazy terrain/buildings around you.

I haven't tried it because I have to buy a converter box too. Would rather just pay a little extra than have to buy all that extra equipment for 1 channel.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Vue has the best connection for me. Combine with Chromecast and it's suited my needs so far.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a former Vue subscriber(went back to cable because it was cheaper) and the biggest thing to keep in mind is that it will not be as smooth or user friendly as cable. Live TV streaming is still a new concept and there are a host of issues with that. The delay can be quite annoying and freezes/buffering will happen.

With that said I was happy with it as for a time it was cheaper than cable(for me personally) and the no contract is really nice. It's really a "you get what you pay for" kind of deal.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I've had Sling for almost 3 years now, and it's worth every penny since they added USA and Comedy Central. I pay $10 extra for the sports package for NFL Redzone.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Great idea for a thread.

Vue has been the best for me. Tried DTVNow and SlingTV (YoutubeTV not available in my area). Vue has the best quality and channel selection for the needs and the DVR can't be beat IMO.

The only problem is that it gives me Fox Sports Ohio instead of Fox Sports Midwest (I'm in Indiana - if I were to sign up for cable otherwise, any other place would give me Fox Sports Midwest instead of Ohio). So, no DVRing Pacers games for me. :(

The weird thing is the Fox Sports Go app when authorized with my Vue credentials gives me access to both Fox Sports Ohio and Fox Sports Midwest - so I can watch Pacers games live that way.

Side note, the single sign on functionality on the AppleTV is great - especially when integrated within the TV app. Not having to authorize individual apps is a convenience I didn't know I wanted.

srhltmr

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I currently have SpectrumTV but I can't tell you how it works because it can only be used on a couple devices (for TV viewing)

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I will probably get SlingTV in a few years when I have kids. We want them to be exposed to Chinese media to help develop their language skills and seems like SlingTV offers that at a reasonable price.

Clockwork

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wisconsin
I cut the cable and wasn't happy with any (PS Vue, Sling, Directv Now) in relation to their pricing structure or app/streaming performance.

Right now I have 300/20 internet, OTA tv, Netflix, and an install of Kodi with Covenant add on (for shows I don't want to miss like TWD).

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Sadly, no. If they don't have your local NBC affiliate, you can't watch SNF through them live.
I have Vue now and it's great. I get all 4 of the big local channels (Fox, NBC, ABC, CBS).

I'll try out YouTube TV when they get an Apple TV app.
Good news is that YouTube TV announced they'll have an AppleTV app in the coming weeks. :)

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
YouTube TV launched their first round of official apps yesterday for Android TV, Xbox One, and Android-equipped TVs.

Got a quick chance to play around with it yesterday on Xbox One and it seems pretty good. It's basically the same interface as YouTube TV on your computer or phone, but you get the convenience of being able to flip and switch channels more like a regular cable box.

I had a second to record a quick video, sorry for the shaky cam... Was zoomed in from my couch, holding my phone in one hand, and using my media remote in the other hand so I was shaking. Couldn't stabilize it until I put the remote down.

https://youtu.be/r0qHZGBO53Q

Similar interface to the phone/computer/tablet app.
You've got your Home screen with recommendations (trust me I've never watched Bret Bair before or the comedy with the guy from Parks & Rec / The Office, but YouTube assumes I'd like to watch that at 2:30 in the afternoon...), Library tab which has all of your DVR/saved content and any upcoming shows, and then live TV off to the right. On ESPN I was getting some weird sound artifacts with the commentators voice, but that went away when I went to another station so I don't know if it was the ESPN video/audio from the source, or YouTube TV, or the app. Like usual you can pause/rewind live TV and it does just about everything else that you have come to expect with YouTube TV.

So far, it's been a really good media experience and the closest thing to "having a cable box back" since I cut DirecTV and went to a streaming service.

Also if you're wondering about the remote, I picked this $15 media remote up off of Amazon the other day and it's been surprisingly great:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GOK34SO/?tag=era0f0-20

GudSB9ml.png

it's IR, not bluetooth, so you need a line of sight (though we don't have a direct line of sight upstairs for the Xbox and it seemed to work well), but you don't even need to set it up... I just pointed the remote at the Xbox, hit the guide button, and it turned everything on. Volume/Channels worked fine (because I had setup the Xbox before w/ my sound system). The remote has a nice soft finish, it lights up when you touch it, and the buttons have a decent feel to them. Pause/Start media controls worked, but the Back button didn't work, I had to hit the "B" button to get back to the YouTube TV guide.

Last edited:

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Just want to point out that VUE is kind of weird about being used outside of your home network. I travel a decent amount for my job and I've watched VUE through the browser on my tablet all around the country without missing a beat. Your mileage may vary of course but its not quite as strict as I've seen people make it out to be. In fact it seems pretty lax.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
I use Sling and as long as my internet connection is good I have no problems with it. Paying 40 bucks a month is a whole lot easier pill to swallow than the 120ish I was paying Cox for cable tv.

grate

Oct 29, 2017
We switched from Vue to DTVN 6 months ago and have been happy with the decision. We rarely see any performance issues or problems. The cloud DVR was nice on Vue, but the loss of Viacom channels and the constant price increases made us pursue other options.

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if the DVR hasn't launched yet, I think I will switch to DTVN by Thanksgiving, mainly so I can watch Hey Arnold: The Jungle Movie on the 24th.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've switched from Spectrum TV to DirecTV Now, for me the transition is ok, the UI is garbage though. Watching through a Fire TV Stick Gen 2 and the newest Fire TV, with the newest Fire TV it works amazingly well. I'm just missing NFL Network and Spectrum Sports.

Dr.Horrible

Oct 27, 2017
Dropped DTV a week ago and have been using Vue and Sling, along with antenna (connected to router/PC for DVR) and a Plex server. I've had no regrets so far and no issues with either service.

Vue is primarily for sports and Sling is just a 2 month thing so my wife can watch all of her Hallmark Channel Christmas movies. Still saving $ over what we were paying DTV.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any idea when the public rollout of DTVN DVR and new UI are going to be released? Also wish it had Firefox support, I have to use Safari on my Mac to watch it.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston

my recommendation is to rotate services as needed. We cut the cord for a few years, and it ranges from sucky to good, but especially sucky if you want to watch any kind of local sports outside of football.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I wish there was a page where you can go and slot in the channels you watch or the shows you watch and then it recommends what you need to get the services