Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
This is an extremely interesting interview with Kurt Slader, President of Dotronix Technology, one of the last manufacturers of cathode ray tube televisions in the world. Highly recommend giving this a listen to my retro gaming enthusiasts here and otherwise fans of the old tube TVs. Lot's of cool insights with regards to the current state of the business, the high demand of CRT TVs from Museums, and the lack of raw materials and supply chains to continue production of CRTs.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
long video but does he sell to private consumers?

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I adore my CRTs. Had no idea that they were actually still being produced by anyone. If any of you ever find a JVC AV-XXD503 or Sony KV-XXKV310 pick them up, they are the two best consumer TVs ever for retro gaming.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Love CRTs and have a few myself. Had no idea this company was around, will definitely be looking into them.

Thanks for posting this!

Orfax

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
This is good, I watched it the other day. I picked up a JVC TM-H1700G with an RGB mod last month for use with my mister. It is glorious.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
long video but does he sell to private consumers?

Still listening but I'll let you know if I hear anything.
They sell direct if you go to their site but it won't be compatible with anything you'd want to hook up.

Maybe with the attention they'll consider doing something focused on consumers but I imagine it would not be cheap.

Edit: maybe I misunderstood and it simply can't easily do RGB signal since reviewing the site it looks like some models support NTSC. In any case all impressions are it is incredibly expensive.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
I have become interested in CRTs and RGB Retro gaming recently. I've traditionally played classic games on emulation or HD remakes on modern consoles.

I've been in ignorance since the late 00s that CRTs were old rubbish, but turns out in retrospect that the move to LCD was a downgrade.