Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
ulqUrS0.jpg

shmuplations.com has kindly translated an old interview with Super Metroid programmer Yasuhiko Fujii from a magazine called game shokunin. The interview goes into detail about Yasuhiko's childhood, how he started with Nintendo, and some really neat information behind the development of Super Metroid. Here's some interesting tidbits below along with the full interview below:

Fujii: ...There were seven programmers in total, and I primarily worked on the boss and enemies: their sprites, hitboxes, etc. Samus alone took so much data to animate and draw, there was a single programmer dedicated just to working on her—that's how big and involved the Super Metroid development was.

There were a huge number of enemies, too, and one day I had an insight about that: I should make a "Programming Tool" for the designers, and I did. It allowed the designers to input their graphics/sprite data directly into the tool, and it would automatically convert that into actual source code, complete with collision detection data. There were so many designers working on Super Metroid, and everyone had their own way of doing things… I knew if they each did their own thing it would be a huge problem down the road. So I developed this tool to help set some rules and unify their process.

Fujii: We all worked together at Nintendo's main office and pulled many consecutive all-nighters there.
It was during that time that I heard a strange "fuu, fuu" sound coming from the office beside mine. I walked over to see what in the world was making this sound, and to my surprise I saw President Yamauchi standing there, diligently practicing his shakuhachi flute. (laughs) Part of my shock was realizing that the President's office was right next door to ours, and that only a thing wall divided us. It was certainly surprising to hear the sound of a shakuhachi in the office like that, but even more shocking, was that I would often see the President walking up and down the halls of the office there in his momohiki (tight-fitting, traditional Japanese trousers)

Fujii: Actually, before the fight with Draygon, the boss of Maridia, there's a group of Evir enemies that do a little "dance". Their movements actually trace out the letters of a phrase in English, "Keiko Love"! Keiko was the name of a girl I was dating at the time. I was busy with work all the time and couldn't see her much, so at night while everyone at the office sleeping, I stole a moment and snuck that code in!

That little Evir dance wasn't written in the planning documents anywhere, so I remember my heart beating fast as I coded it, with the worry of it being discovered… but in the end, no one ever found it out. Now isn't that a romantic story? (laughs)

Full Interview: http://shmuplations.com/yasuhikofujii/

Oct 27, 2017
Fujii: Actually, before the fight with Draygon, the boss of Maridia, there's a group of Evir enemies that do a little "dance". Their movements actually trace out the letters of a phrase in English, "Keiko Love"! Keiko was the name of a girl I was dating at the time. I was busy with work all the time and couldn't see her much, so at night while everyone at the office sleeping, I stole a moment and snuck that code in!

D'awww.

Super interesting, I love reading the opinions of Japanese devs :D

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Ah ah that anecdote about Hiroshi Yamauchi.

Segata Sanshiro > Hiroshi Yamauchi > the rest

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
About "Kaeru no tame ni kane wa naru":
Fujii: In the beginning of the development, it was called "Paraparesu",1 but Nintendo's President Hiroshi Yamauchi said that was no good, and we changed the title.

There seems to be a lot of ancedotes about Yamauchi being particular about the names of games. Dylan Cuthbert via a Retronauts interview said that during development of Cuthbert's Game Boy game, Yamauchi called up Sakamoto one morning just to say "You're calling the game X!"

Makes sense for the company head to be concerned with what names are marketable, but funny nonetheless.

I had forgotten that "For Frogs the Bell Tolls" was an IntSys game. It could explain why one chapter in Paper Mario 2 is named after it (with pigs instead of frogs), or it could be a coincidence.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand why Kaeru wasn't released here, it's fucking awesome. In fact I don't understand why is just a standalone title, a sequel would be very nice.

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
Hey that site looks pretty cool. I'll get around to the other interviews later. Thanks OP!

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
I still don't understand why Kaeru wasn't released here, it's fucking awesome. In fact I don't understand why is just a standalone title, a sequel would be very nice.
Nintendo and Intelligent Systems were weird about what got brought over back then. In an 8-4 interview, some Treehouse staff said that the Fire Emblem producers were rather surprised that they were even considering localizing the GBA games, since they thought western audiences wouldn't care for what they saw as a very Japanese take on European fantasy.

Maybe Nintendo thought "For Frogs" had too many specific parody references? (I haven't played it, but I know there's an Itoi NPC, for instance.)

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017

I had forgotten that "For Frogs the Bell Tolls" was an IntSys game. It could explain why one chapter in Paper Mario 2 is named after it (with pigs instead of frogs), or it could be a coincidence.

I wouldn't call it an IntSys game as it was the traditional 80s-90s Nintendo designed game with IS being the sub programming team.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
Isnt' the battle system for that game a bit absurd and weird?
It's a stretch to even say it has a battle system, to be honest. It's an adventure game through and through.
There's no player input after the battle starts, and no random element; if you're stronger than the enemy, you win, and if you're weaker, you lose. The game's design relies a lot on enemies essentially placed as locked doors, forcing you to explore, solve puzzles, and so on until you find some way to get the advantage that'll let you pass the enemy.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017

There seems to be a lot of ancedotes about Yamauchi being particular about the names of games. Dylan Cuthbert via a Retronauts interview said that during development of Cuthbert's Game Boy game, Yamauchi called up Sakamoto one morning just to say "You're calling the game X!"

Makes sense for the company head to be concerned with what names are marketable, but funny nonetheless.

They're both just references to For Whom the Bell Tolls

An expression from a sermon by John Donne. Donne says that because we are all part of mankind, any person's death is a loss to all of us: "Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee." Theline also suggests that we all will die: the bell willtoll for each one of us.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_Whom_the_Bell_Tolls

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
In another dimension Yamauchi could have been the guy playing the flute during Sony's Ghosts of Tsushima presentation

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a stretch to even say it has a battle system, to be honest. It's an adventure game through and through.
There's no player input after the battle starts, and no random element; if you're stronger than the enemy, you win, and if you're weaker, you lose. The game's design relies a lot on enemies essentially placed as locked doors, forcing you to explore, solve puzzles, and so on until you find some way to get the advantage that'll let you pass the enemy.
Yep. It's an amazing system when you actually understand how the game is designed and makes for a pretty fun adventure.

I always say this to people when describing this game, but it basically did 20 years earlier what indie games do today. That game was really ahead of its time.