• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SledGod

Oct 27, 2017
You have to wonder how Afghanistan would have developed post-revolution without extensive intervention from imperialists. Still, I think the DMV is inevitable, regardless of whether or not your country was used as an ideological battleground for superpowers for half a century.

JaY P.

Oct 27, 2017
Paradise
This brings me back to Joker talking with 2 Face when he says he's just a dog chasing cars and wouldn't know what to do if he caught it. The Taliban wanted to overthrow an unholy government but now they don't know what to do once they achieved their goal.

View: https://youtu.be/NWeh4A600E0

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
i have still yet to see a single picture of a taliban soldier where they are not holding an assault rifle. like even at a desk in front of the computer they've got it. it's almost comical.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
You have to wonder how Afghanistan would have developed post-revolution without extensive intervention from imperialists. Still, I think the DMV is inevitable, regardless of whether or not your country was used as an ideological battleground for superpowers for half a century.
if there had been no Khalq and Parcham factionalism, and the mujahideen dealt with effortlessly. I imagine by now both cities and rural areas would be pretty unified in government with development never interrupted by way with there being no more quasi independent villages.

ofcourse you have to consider the effects of there being no war on post Brezhnev soviet union. that's a lot of butterfly effect to account for

and post war originations that form in doing terrorism that no longer exist changing the land scape of the 90s and there being no 9/11? if we go with the mujahideen defeated easily counterfactual that makes Bin Laden a dead guy decades earlier.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I may have read a few of them wrong, but it seems like a few of them seem to empathize with women, and even acknowledge that they are victims with problems that need to be addressed
Nah. They mostly lament how immodestly dressed these women are, and some of them even explicitly state that they despise them. There's one dude who acknowledged that some women seek help as victims of brutality, but all the guy says is how inept they all are at helping them. They even refused to talk to them initially because they are "strange women" only to realize it was literally their job as government. And that's just this one guy out of several who just heaped scorn on those immoral women. They're fucking stupid and pathetic tbh. To me that is not empathy for them whatsoever, only despair at how they can't control them. The fact that they barred them from schools is proof enough.

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
It's very funny to me that the biggest poison pill the West left behind was a modern city
Exactly this.

Once that lid has been pried off and the masses have adopted it, that's the new reality.

These guys are just now realizing that the world, but more importantly, their own nation, is leaving them behind.

Still some quotes in the OP that signify that there's holdouts, but sounds like a lot are just assimilating as well. Was shocked to read some apparent introspection as well.
Is an Onion article come to life
It really is lol.

Could gussy it up a bit and post it and no one would bat an eye

Zaku3

Banned
Mar 20, 2019
It's so fascinating how the drain of modern living affects everybody. Sometimes it feels like a "first world problem" then you see even the Taliban has all the life sucked out of them by it.

I guess it could be argued that the alienation in capitalism is due to basic parts of our nature not being satisfied with the way we are living and how things are going.

Zaku3

Banned
Mar 20, 2019
i have still yet to see a single picture of a taliban soldier where they are not holding an assault rifle. like even at a desk in front of the computer they've got it. it's almost comical.

It was a long war. If some of those pictured could have litterally been opposing NATO forces since what 2002? The adjustment to peace is gonna be hard.

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
Almost reads like the Mongols and/or Machurians taking over China and slowly turning into a China with minor differences. Fascinating!

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the article may be cherry-picking answers or the Taliban are trying to play nice. They're the ones with the guns and weapons, and they have no opposition in the country. They aren't going to suddenly become good and renounce all their horrific beliefs. It doesn't work like that.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
However, these days, you have to go to the office before 8 AM and stay there till 4 PM. If you don't go, you're considered absent, and [the wage for] that day is cut from your salary. We're now used to that, but it was especially difficult in the first two or three months.

Are we sure America lost this war...?

megamanofnumbers

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Apr 28, 2022
Man sounds like they could use some help. If only there were thousands of extraordinarily intelligent and skilled women somewhere in their part of the world that could really bolster their society's welfare, and not legally bound to be house slaves until the heat death of the universe

Deleted member 10780

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2022
Decades of war did nothing but make them stronger

Fuckin capitalism has them contemplating changing their ways

Oct 25, 2017
When we came to our hawza [police district] and saw the compound, the weapons and the security measures, it was unbelievable how they'd abandoned such places without firing a single bullet. We were stunned by the cowardice of the [former] army and police. If even a very small number of them had tried to fight us, we couldn't have made it to Kabul for years, given its complexity and the weapons they had.
There cowards cuz they didn't kill us with these weapons is quite the take
Capitalism always wins.
All day everyday

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like the article may be cherry-picking answers or the Taliban are trying to play nice. They're the ones with the guns and weapons, and they have no opposition in the country. They aren't going to suddenly become good and renounce all their horrific beliefs. It doesn't work like that.

I mean, if you look at they're ages the people interviewed in the article were children when the USA invaded and joined the Taliban as teens. At least one mentions indiscriminate bombardments by the US as the reason he joined

If they're still pushing fundamentalist beliefs and trying to deny women their rights, yes, fuck them

But I think kids growing up in a constant war zone, who may have been radicalized early and never exposed to different beliefs deserve at least some empathy.
No, I don't think the Taliban as a whole will suddenly stop being a hateful regime. But if even just a few realize they were duped... that's a good thing

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if you look at they're ages the people interviewed in the article were children when the USA invaded and joined the Taliban as teens. At least one mentions indiscriminate bombardments by the US as the reason he joined

If they're still pushing fundamentalist beliefs and trying to deny women their rights, yes, fuck them

But I think kids growing up in a constant war zone, who may have been radicalized early and never exposed to different beliefs deserve at least some empathy.
No, I don't think the Taliban as a whole will suddenly stop being a hateful regime. But if even just a few realize they were duped... that's a good thing
At the same time, people said this when they were taking over. That this time would be different, that they wouldn't oppress women and that this wasn't the same Taliban as before. So far they've been proven totally and 100% wrong. It's been the same shit with a different cast of characters.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Taliban can resist a superpower trying to wipe them out for 20 years but it turns out their biggest challenge is modern urban lifestyles.

Human sense of fulfillment is a funny thing, you can get used to the "freedom" and "brotherhood" and "purpose" of war and end up preferring that over that mundanity and time sucking lifestyle of modern domestic life.