canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Are they still using the engine from like Fallout 3 or whatever
Creation Engine 2. They redid a lot of the technology in it (Rendering, animation, etc) but obviously it'll still be built on the same DNA that lets their open worlds function as they do with full mod support.

According to them, it's their biggest tech jump since the transition from Morrowind to Oblivion.

Dec 5, 2017
cmYeNcZ.jpg

Nope. :p
Not a bad time, for a beginner.

QfLb2ug.png

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Bethesda is great at talking their shit over dramatic music, whether on stage or in these orchestrated developer videos. The game itself is going to have to prove it all to me this time.
Yeah, I think thats one of the main reasons I haven't been watching these.

elbageluno

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 4, 2022
No. It's running on Creation Engine 2
Creation Engine 2. They redid a lot of the technology in it (Rendering, animation, etc) but obviously it'll still be built on the same DNA that lets their open worlds function as they do with full mod support.

According to them, it's their biggest tech jump since the transition from Morrowind to Oblivion.

Awesome, just got way more hyped. Now all I need is a Series X.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Goddammit.

I'm a massive Beth head. Having a kid obsessed with PlayStation I just accepted I wouldn't play any more of their games when MS bought them. But after years of not letting their games hype me up, the Activision purchase convinced my kid to ask for an Xbox for his birthday so now I can finally get back into being hyped over this game.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
talk is cheap. Will wait for gameplay before I let myself get excited for this game.

b0uncyfr0

Apr 2, 2018

Wait, the source is Bethesda...? Re: 'They redid a lot of the technology in it (Rendering, animation, etc)'

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
Everything crossed for this. I would rather it was a new TES as I prefer fantasy to sci fi, but I have high hopes this will deliver, and be my GOTY.

My Series X is waiting to show what it can do.

OP
OP

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I would actually like it if the robot companion talked to you a bit, maybe you can tell it to mute itself but having a robot with a sense a humor explore with you would be amazing IMO.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Wait, the source is Bethesda...? Re: 'They redid a lot of the technology in it (Rendering, animation, etc)'

With each new console cycle, we evolved together. From bringing mods to consoles with Fallout 4, now over a billion downloads, to the latest technologies fueling Xbox Series X/S. These new systems are optimized for the vast worlds we love to create, with generational leaps not just in graphics, but CPU and data streaming as well. It's led to our largest engine overhaul since Oblivion, with all new technologies powering our first new IP in 25 years, Starfield, as well as The Elder Scrolls VI.
bethesda.net

Todd Howard On Joining Xbox

I have had the pleasure of working with, and partnering with, many of the best gaming and tech companies in the world. But our longest, and closest partner during my career, has been Microsoft.

"more people [are] doing engine work now by a factor of five"

"There are things we do that we still like, the way we build our worlds, the way people can mod it -- these are things I think are fundamentally good about our tech stack. But from rendering to animation to pathing to procedural generation... I don't want to say everything, but it's a significant overhaul."

"It's taken us longer than we would have liked, but it's going to power everything we're doing with Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6. When people see the results, they'll hopefully be as happy as we are with what's on the screen and also how we can go about making our games."
www.gamesindustry.biz

Saved by Morrowind, striving for Starfield: Todd Howard and the story of Bethesda

The story of Todd Howard is largely the story of Bethesda -- if not the Softworks publishing side, then certainly the G…

Also I believe we saw in a job listing or linkedin profile the mention they dropped Havok for their own new solution.

Kreim

Dec 6, 2017
They kind of mention wanting to get back to their roots mechanically there for a second but I'm not sure what that means. A new dialogue mini game is nice.... is it governed by a stat? Can I game it every time?

And having the world "react" to you.... that could mean anything. Is that me picking a faction and suddenly a banner is blue or red, with the blue guys running around my crib, is that reactivity? Did you hear about the fight near the docks last night? They say it's pirates again. I don't know anything about that. Good day.

Exploring is fun and that could be enough for me, if the loot table is interesting or at least large. I always felt like the loot table in Fallout 4 was so shallow, you see everything in like 20 hours tops. These games are cherished for their longevity but you better be happy with your +4 upgraded club.

No mention of freedom during quests themselves, and the quest guy was right there, so.... maybe there's not much to speak on there.

The best thing I gleaned from this are the companions. Companions are awesome, and it is awesome when they talk and react to what's happening around you. Who among us hasn't dragged party members around in an RPG hoping to trigger some nugget of banter. Maybe the 10 million playthroughs with Lydia grunting her way through the dragonborn's quest has uhh given them some inspiration.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
I like the idea of being able to join factions with ulterior motives. Usually joining factions in games means your character is kinda forced to exclusively follow through with whatever agenda the faction you're joining has planned, but to be able to join and then be able to serve another faction by spying on the one you joined with actual consequences sounds pretty dope. I just hope it's not limited to "spying," like it'd be cool to be able to influence two factions to join forces and share resources rather than be at each other's throats.

Deeper companion interactions are also welcome, as are meaningful dialogue options especially after that disaster known as Fallout 4.

ragolliangatan

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 31, 2019
Everything they have been saying about this game is music to my ears- I think it is going to turn out to be a really special game. You get the impression that getting a break from Fallout and Elder Scrolls has put a spring in their step.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Idk Skyrim is one of the best games ever imo. If this is anything like that for the current gen/modern times I would consider it a big success.
Agreed. An 11-years-newer, current-gen-appropriate Skyrim that makes advances in AI and systems? Gimme it.

Skyrim is the most under-appreciated 30 million+ seller ever. One of the top couple dozen games in sales ever, and people reference it like it was a terrible broken mess. The fact that people love the Bethesda RPGS so much *despite* the crappy inventory and the bugs/jank and the flaws speaks to how special they actually are.

ragolliangatan

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 31, 2019
Agreed. An 11-years-newer, current-gen-appropriate Skyrim that makes advances in AI and systems? Gimme it.

Skyrim is the most under-appreciated 30 million+ seller ever. One of the top couple dozen games in sales ever, and people reference it like it was a terrible broken mess. The fact that people love the Bethesda RPGS so much *despite* the crappy inventory and the bugs/jank and the flaws speaks to how special they actually are.

a lot of people forget how influential Skyrim was and still is, I still dive into it on a yearly basis and lose countless hours to it's gameplay loop.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope you can't join every faction imaginable. It gets silly when you're the leader of the evil faction while simultaneously leading the good faction. It's nice they let you act bad to take certain factions down, but I hope you can't also just legitimately be a leader of opposing factions with no intent to choose between one or the other.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope you can't join every faction imaginable. It gets silly when you're the leader of the evil faction while simultaneously leading the good faction. It's nice they let you act bad to take certain factions down, but I hope you can't also just legitimately be a leader of opposing factions with no intent to choose between one or the other.

Why not? If it doesn't fit your character, you could always not choose it, too. One of the nice things about a Bethesda game is you don't necessarily have to start a whole new character to get a different perspective.

Another thing is it's hard to know which faction you really want to support. Or maybe as a player, you just want to see how everything is. Maybe you're trying alternative lives for your character, etc. As someone who gets very immersed in things, I also keep my view of my character quite malleable and I'm always changing little things. I don't see my character as set in stone, but as something I'm always molding. Maybe I encounter something in one faction I put into my characters backstory, etc.

By having player option, it allows you to choose what path is right for you. In Skyrim, I skipped a lot of stories because they did not fit my Assassin/Thief character. I didn't even do the main story because my character was hardly good.

Last edited:

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I'm of the opinion that if it doesn't make roleplay sense then don't do it but give me the option.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
How BGS modernize & evolve some of their mechanics, can't wait to see how Avowed will evolve too. FNV structure is GOAT but their are some flaws.

POE2 is not perfect too, especially on the main story, not so much big reactivity for the main quest. But the world building is incredible.

I think Living lands is the perfect setting to make something like FNV and in more ambitious way. Opportunity to enhance the experience.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Why not? If it doesn't fit your character, you could always not choose it, too. One of the nice things about a Bethesda game is you don't necessarily have to start a whole new character to get a different perspective.

Sure, but the 'openness' comes as across (often, at least) as being at cross-purposes with the intent of role-playing.

Skyrim went about it by having the 'requirements' to join the various guilds being so non-existent (save for the one mage guild shield usage) that one could become everything - the lack of inherent 'morality' there helps, but even so, it's a little odd being the listener, fighter's guild champion, guildmaster of the thieves guild, etc...

Fallout 4, having morality, went about it by letting you cozy up to each group....right until they inevitably ask you to murder/destroy every other group - which then ruins the illusion of having a 'choice' in the first place, since it's (barring the minute-men), a zero-sum game.

IMO there's a better way than either of the above, but I'm not sure what it is, aside from designing the factions in a way that keeps them relevant to the story (if desired), but doesn't require a 'pick one and that's it', no peacekeeper/maker option' solution.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I appreciate the effort, but listening to a bunch of leads tell each other how great their game is in mostly non-specific terms is such a weird and outdated move.

Show the game. Let people make up their own minds and then talk about it. Gamers will almost always focus on other stuff than whatever developers think is important.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate the effort, but listening to a bunch of leads tell each other how great their game is in mostly non-specific terms is such a weird and outdated move.

Show the game. Let people make up their own minds and then talk about it. Gamers will almost always focus on other stuff than whatever developers think is important.

I don't think it's outdated, I think it's just how the industry has moved. In the past, you'd see screenshots and gameplay of a game first. Seeing alpha footage, early builds, etc was the norm. But we've moved past that, especially as fans expect everything shown pre-release to be a reflection of the final game. If it is rough, people will talk about that. If it's buggy people will talk about that. If content is cut, people will talk about that. People hold on to every thing a developer says as a promise.