Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

355abc07a082b58c184d4c7f9303de8f68d61aff.jpg

Nov 20, 2019 -- After roughly one month in beta, Steam Remote Play Together is now released to all Steam users. With this feature, local multiplayer gaming is now extended to iOS and Android devices. Remote Play Together enables cross-platform play among friends across Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS, and Android.

Up to four players, or even more in ideal conditions, can instantly join in the fun. Only the host needs to own and install the game, while additional players connect through Steam Remote Play streaming technology using their PC or the Steam Chat and Steam Link mobile apps.

In celebration of the release, Steam is hosting a Remote Play Together Streaming Event featuring streamers from around the world sharing games using Remote Play Together.

For more information, please visit steampowered.com/together.

Stream is already on

collige

Oct 31, 2017
It's really cool that this doesn't require everyone to own the game. I might try this with Towerfall.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, not everyone needs to own the game to play together. That is awesome.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I wonder if devs have to sign into the program. It might not be much, but I'd bet there are people not buying a game because of this.

On the other hand it's basically free advertisement.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if devs have to sign into the program. It might not be much, but I'd bet there are people not buying a game because of this.

I'm vaguely sure users can try it with literally any game they own on Steam. The "approved" games are the ones Valve themselves tested and think offer a good enough experience, kinda like how Proton's list works.

Oct 28, 2017
Did this feature soft launch earlier than today? Last Saturday I had started MK11 and was prompted regarding the remote play. So I had a friend hop on and we tested it out. A bit of lag on his end but he was also downloading Fallen Order at the same time. Other than that it seemed to work.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA

it works with anything on steam, most devs ive seen on community pages are pretty happy with it because online is something they wanted to include but couldnt because of time, money, or expertise
Did this feature soft launch earlier than today? Last Saturday I had started MK11 and was prompted regarding the remote play. So I had a friend hop on and we tested it out. A bit of lag on his end but he was also downloading Fallen Order at the same time. Other than that it seemed to work.
it launched a month ago but now its out of beta, so if you were on the beta client its been there

Oct 28, 2017
it works with anything on steam, most devs ive seen on community pages are pretty happy with it because online is something they wanted to include but couldnt because of time, money, or expertise

it launched a month ago but now its out of beta
Ah gotcha. Missed that part. For a moment I felt like I was part of a secret club. Thanks lol.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm vaguely sure users can try it with literally any game they own on Steam. The "approved" games are the ones Valve themselves tested and think offer a good enough experience, kinda like how Proton's list works.

it launched a month ago but now its out of beta, so if you were on the beta client its been there
Nice!

I wonder how valve sets up their contracts - this feels like something a big publisher might want to opt out ifso desired and potentially would have needed another contract.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Nice!

I wonder how valve sets up their contracts - this feels like something a big publisher might want to opt out ifso desired and potentially would have needed another contract.
I don't see it as an issue, you can do the same thing on PS4 and have been able to for a long time, and the publishers don't seem to care.

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
The only game I found out didn't support remote play was Street Fighter V. I've been trying a bunch of different games with my friend from the UK (I live in Virginia) and we've had a pretty flawless experience.

BTW any Binding of Isaac fans who wanna play coop but with both players getting to be an Isaac, instead of one being a baby, should check out this mod.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty cool that they show where each other guest is connecting from in the world, and who is hosting.
Also good that they have the devs from some games playing with everyone.
19,000 viewers. Seems its getting folks attention

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Nice!

i might actually be wrong it looks like they may be able to opt out (as Andres ) said up there

people are figuring it out https://www.reddit.com/r/Fighters/comments/dlfi41/list_of_fighting_games_that_do_and_dont_work_with/ and i just hadnt seen any that didnt let you so i figured it everything and just through the client

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This seems amazing, and with remote play on phone? Gonna have to check this out...

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
i might actually be wrong it looks like they may be able to opt out (as Andres ) said up there

people are figuring it out https://www.reddit.com/r/Fighters/comments/dlfi41/list_of_fighting_games_that_do_and_dont_work_with/ and i just hadnt seen any that didnt let you so i figured it everything and just through the client
Wow, even Ultra Street Fighter IV. The heck Capcom?

It seemed way too pro consumer for everyone to be in with no caveats.

Allaur

Oct 30, 2017
I and my friend finished River City Girls during beta. He had some problems when everything was slowed down from time to time, but still it's a great feature.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if people will actually use this. It seems to be the absolute most forgotten feature of the PS4.

It is locked behind PS+ there to be fair.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
This is huge. Like, really huge. My friends and I will be playing forever thanks to this.

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
I have so many local only multiplayer games I never got around to playing more than once, if at all...this is great.

edit: And looking at the sale, so many that I didn't buy because of the local only problem. Samurai Gunn and Towerfall suddenly calling my name.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Fun tip - easily find out what compatible games you have by making a Dynamic Collection in you Steam Library:
IZahYd1.png

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
I tried this for Renegade Ops but then I lost control of my own gamepad? edit: Worked on second launch, but still can't get the other person's pad to work. Maybe cause it's a DirectInput gamepad, idk. But Sonic Mania seemed to work well at least with keyboard on their end.

Last edited:

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone still use this for PS4? Their version is called SharePlay. It uses the same tech behind PSNow. They actually first showed it off at the PS4's February 2013 unveiling, but it did not launch on the system to well after it released. Until I saw this announced from Valve a while back, I actually had completely forgotten SharePlay even existed. Of course, it's all dependent on the internet speed on both ends.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
I tried this for Renegade Ops but then I lost control of my own gamepad? edit: Worked on second launch, but still can't get the other person's pad to work. Maybe cause it's a DirectInput gamepad, idk. But Sonic Mania seemed to work well at least with keyboard on their end.
Did they register their pad with Steam as a generic or PS controller?

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
It's also still probably possible to setup emulators to work with this in Steam. In my case, I found a game supporting local coop, deleted contents of its Steam folder, then replaced that with the contents of Cemu's (Wii U emulator) folder. Then I could launch the original game through Steam, but it would launch Cemu instead, and I could invite Steam friends to play stuff like Super Mario 3D world. My only trouble though was figuring out how to sort out controller support between the emulator's multi controller support and Steam's.

TioChuck

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
It's also still probably possible to setup emulators to work with this in Steam. In my case, I found a game supporting local coop, deleted contents of its Steam folder, then replaced that with the contents of Cemu's (Wii U emulator) folder. Then I could launch the original game through Steam, but it would launch Cemu instead, and I could invite Steam friends to play stuff like Super Mario 3D world. My only trouble though was figuring out how to sort out controller support between the emulator's multi controller support and Steam's.

After you invite someone you can alt tab and configure the controllers on the emulator, xinput0 should be you, xinput1, xinput2 and xinput3 should be available now.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I love this feature, but it would be 1000x better if PC devs didn't spend the last 15 years making splitscreen modes for console and not PC (looking angrily at you Gearbox)

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone still use this for PS4? Their version is called SharePlay. It uses the same tech behind PSNow. They actually first showed it off at the PS4's February 2013 unveiling, but it did not launch on the system to well after it released. Until I saw this announced from Valve a while back, I actually had completely forgotten SharePlay even existed. Of course, it's all dependent on the internet speed on both ends.

Yes actually I have! My coworker tried nioh lately and had a hell of a time beating the first two levels to unlock coop. I watched him play, gave him pointers and took over here and there so he could watch me and learn. It worked pretty well other than the fact you have to restart a session every hour, which is some bullshit. As far as coop games go I don't know how it works.