Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I wonder if I'll get to keep building that little "years subscribed" number that is on the corner of my Xbox profile now that they're ditching the Xbox Live name.

Gjallarsean

Oct 10, 2018
I thought F2P games like Destiny 2 didn't require paid online, on either platform

Which again, makes the idea of paying for online even more ridiculous
Oh you're right - I completely forgot that Destiny 2 went F2P, just with how much stuff is ultimately locked behind keeping up with expansions and season pass stuff. So yeah, bad example.

Point being that if a game is innately an online multiplayer game and is not F2P, then you have to pay the online XBL tax - it's very silly and frustrating, but it seems like MS (and Sony for that matter) aren't willing to turn that revenue spigot off anytime soon, as much as I'd like them both to.

LycanXIII

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Raise the price of console and add Live to it. It'd be just like PS+ then, with a collection instead of the monthly games.

85359_1_theres-no-reason-to-subscribe-annually-the-new-ps-plus-extra-tier.webp

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is the first miss Microsoft have had with Gamepass so far.
Obviously this isn't anything catastrophic or worth worrying over but I don't really think it's a good move, like I really just don't see the point in it? Did they just want to remove games with gold but didn't want to leave it as just paying for multiplayer?

They want to get people on the trajectory to subscribing to Game Pass Ultimate.

The subscription most people already have now comes with a free trial version of Game Pass, essentially.

I'm sure there's also a benefit to reframing Game Pass as an upgrade to something you already have rather than an additional subscription service.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
Boring and safe way to do this

They should have called it GP Lite, made paid online free for all (which would be a huge plus point for MS over Sony/Nintendo) and then made GP Lite the same as console GP but with day one titles only being added a year after launch

That way they could even keep the whole parity thing with CoD on PlayStation but give themselves the advantage in that you wouldn't need a sub to play online

Unfortunately, consoles are never going to make online play free again.

The whole reason Nintendo jumped on the subscription train, after launching the switch without one, is because a massive chunk of people who subscribe to a console service are doing so solely for the online play.

It's a massive money earner.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
They want to get people on the trajectory to subscribing to Game Pass Ultimate.

The subscription most people already have now comes with a free trial version of Game Pass, essentially.

I'm sure there's also a benefit to reframing Game Pass as an upgrade to something you already have rather than an additional subscription service.

How is Core anything like a 'free trial version' of Game Pass? A load of old games?

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Point being that if a game is innately an online multiplayer game and is not F2P, then you have to pay the online XBL tax - it's very silly and frustrating, but it seems like MS (and Sony for that matter) aren't willing to turn that revenue spigot off anytime soon, as much as I'd like them both to.

I do find it funny that, although justified when it started in 2003, Xbox has managed to keep the Xbox Live subscription around by just refusing to ever turn it off, to the point Sony and Nintendo were able to justify also making people pay for online multiplayer when they didn't used to.

Like I said, at one point in time it made sense, especially the revolutionary features XBL pushed forward in those early days, but nowadays, when you have Discord literally built into the Xbox OS, it makes zero logical sense to continue tapping the consumer of money just to play online. This rebrand would have been the perfect opportunity to win good will and transition, but the suits could not find it in their pocketbooks or hearts to do something consumer friendly, even if it might benefit the brand in the long run.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Boring and safe way to do this

They should have called it GP Lite, made paid online free for all (which would be a huge plus point for MS over Sony/Nintendo) and then made GP Lite the same as console GP but with day one titles only being added a year after launch

That way they could even keep the whole parity thing with CoD on PlayStation but give themselves the advantage in that you wouldn't need a sub to play online
This is probably a sign that there are a lot of people out there who just pay for multiplayer

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
How is Core anything like a 'free trial version' of Game Pass? A load of old games?

It's a subset of the games available on the full Game Pass. I'm sure it's also presented in the same way full Game Pass is - you're going to a tab labeled 'Game Pass' and seeing that selection of games.

Maybe trial is the wrong word? I mean it in the same sense as 'demo'. It's a slice of what you would get subscribing to Game Pass or Game Pass Ultimate.

Gjallarsean

Oct 10, 2018
This rebrand would have been the perfect opportunity to win good will and transition, but the suits could not find it in their pocketbooks or hearts to do something consumer friendly, even if it might benefit the brand in the long run.
Don't disagree one bit - it would have been a great opportunity to pivot, and I wish they did. But I guess this kinda squares with various statements made by MS officials throughout the MS/ABK stuff to the effect of Xbox has to be profitable, it can't just lose money year after year to build up a consumer base. The C-suite and board at MS clearly expect profitability, and the whole idea of requiring people to pay for online access is just too much guaranteed money for the Xbox team to justify giving up for potential future growth.

XBL Gold (and now Game Pass Core) is still revenue that is coming in that can be turned around and re-invested into Game Pass. They just aren't willing to give up that revenue.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Raise the price of console and add Live to it. It'd be just like PS+ then, with a collection instead of the monthly games.

85359_1_theres-no-reason-to-subscribe-annually-the-new-ps-plus-extra-tier.webp
Yeah looking at the plans all you have to do is this. Game Pass Core, Game Pass Pro, Game Pass Ultimate. Add multiplayer to console and rename it. EA Play and cloud are already exclusive to ultimate. It makes sense. Because right now 9.99 and 10.99 are kinda dumb.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
2 - 3 times a year...

Smart move. Make your old offering so shit that the new one suddenly looks great in comparison.
But that's already the case? In what world GwG is better than this? Depending on how they update the list, it might be better than 2-3 monthly games model from GwG and Plus Essential. If it's something like all recent first party with a 3-6month delay it's crazy good.

Edit: my bad, I thought you're saying Core is worse than Gold. 💀

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
For Gold yeah, but Core is a new service (even if it is effectively the same).

Can you pay £1 to upgrade from console to ultimate? Nope, you have to be completely unsubbed from Game Pass. I think it's over, apart from the last of the Gold game cards.
sure you can upgrade. the conversion deal always worked with any/all of the subscriptions the same way, be it live or game pass for console or game pass PC. everyone just used live because it was the cheapest.

AM_LIGHT

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's good for new players. But my GPU is still a better value especially because i find a lot good deals on vouchers.

Zerpette

Jun 23, 2023
One thing that really bugs me about them continuing to charge for online multiplayer on Xbox is that more and more games are requiring third party account logins. Even in some first party games - ex. Redfall requires a Bethesda.net account to play! What exactly am I paying for if I have to put up with this ticky-tacky PC game type nonsense?

Astronomer

Aug 22, 2019
It should have been done time ago but, I guess it's because Ms didn't want to inflate the GP numbers during the merger trial

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Hate the branding and pricing. Core doesn't communicate that it's the tier that includes online play, so Game Pass Corre is essentially a separate subscription from the rest of Game Pass. Game Pass PC and Ultimate are fine in terms of branding and price, but I wish they just rolled Console and Core into the same tier for maybe $12.99. So, you have Game Pass for $12.99, Game Pass PC for $9.99 and Ultimate for $16.99. Obviously, they still want their money for online and they want to push people towards Ultimate, but I think it would still be a viable tier even if Console and Core tiers were combined. I also think if you're still going to offer a separate sub for just online then changing the name from the well-established and well-known Xbox Live Gold doesn't make much sense. Paying for online is a separate thing from Game Pass and including 25 games doesn't change that. As a PC and Console gamer this doesn't affect me as I'd get Ultimate either way but still, I don't love this.

blamite

Oct 27, 2017
This made sense to me until I remembered that Game Pass Console doesn't include online multiplayer so now if you want that you need to be subscribed to two tiers of Game Pass at the same time? That's just a bizarre way to set it up. At least before it was clearly differentiated that Gold and Game Pass were separate things so there was some logic to why you would need to subscribe to both of them.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
They should make it so that console get online play. Just make it a 3 tier sub instead of this confusing branding.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Literally why would you sign up to Core 3+ years from now hoping Fable is on it for a month for $10, when you can sub to Console game pass for $11 and play Fable on it on release in 2024?????

If fable isn't there day 1 then I won't subscribe at all. It isn't a "why wait years" it's a "if Microsoft ain't putting fable day 1 on there then I'm not subscribing at all". I refuse to subscribe to a service I either don't like or don't want to support which is what gamepass (the full service has become) if they want to upgrade gold then sure I will grab a month here and there maybe. I'm not sure why that's a controversial idea but apparently it is. The same reason I don't want to subscribe to Netflix, or certain music streaming services. Sorry if that's a new concept to you. But I also don't plan to buy fable day 1 because I refuse to pay full price for it and I refuse to use gamepass for one game. I'll buy it used and get it far cheaper and on disc for my own personal reasons and I don't honestly care of your opinion on it.

Astronomer

Aug 22, 2019
Does this mean people who didn't have Game Pass, but did have Xbox Live Gold to be able to play online, will now have to pay twice as much? This means they finally get what they wanted back in 2021(?) when they announced the price increase of Xbox Live Gold from 60 to 120 per year before back-tracking a few days later.

The official price for XBGS core and Live Gold is the same.

I dislike those name tho (like core, essential, ecc.). I like something like level1, level 2, etc..

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
If fable isn't there day 1 then I won't subscribe at all. It isn't a "why wait years" it's a "if Microsoft ain't putting fable day 1 on there then I'm not subscribing at all". I refuse to subscribe to a service I either don't like or don't want to support which is what gamepass (the whole thing has become) if they want to upgrade gold then sure I will grab a month here and there maybe. I'm not sure why that's a controversial idea but apparently it is. The same reason I don't want to subscribe to Netflix, or certain music streaming services. Sorry if that's a new concept to you.
I'm so confused...

Fable WILL be in Game Pass day 1... it just won't be the "Core" tier...

You are willing to only subscribe to Game Pass Core to play Fable day 1 but not Game Pass for Console?

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
Oof. I know the Gold->GPU conversion couldn't last forever, but the effective price hike of $5/mo to $17/mo for GPU is a dealbreaker. I assume there won't be any deals on GPU anymore. I guess I'll drop online multiplayer so it's $13, but man. Disappointing.

May 25, 2019
London
One thing that really bugs me about them continuing to charge for online multiplayer on Xbox is that more and more games are requiring third party account logins. Even in some first party games - ex. Redfall requires a Bethesda.net account to play! What exactly am I paying for if I have to put up with this ticky-tacky PC game type nonsense?
Really great point - the original selling points of Live have fallen by the wayside

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so confused...

Fable WILL be in Game Pass day 1... it just won't be the "Core" tier...

You are willing to only subscribe to Game Pass Core to play Fable day 1 but not Game Pass for Console?

Gamepass core is basically upgraded live gold. It isn't gamepass apart from the name. I have no issues supporting an upgraded gold. I have issues with gamepass as in the real package and my own personal issues with supporting it are my decisions. You can be confused all you want. If they don't put it day 1 on an upgraded Xbox live gold service then I'll just buy it on disc for cheap used and not support their subscription services at all.

To be clear I also don't sub to anything but normal ps+ either. I don't like the idea of huge gaming subscriptions and that has only become more of a thing the more I've seen what Microsoft has done since starting it and sony joining in.

Salty Hippo

Oct 25, 2017
No word on whether unused Gold codes will be activated as Core for the foreseeable, beyond September 1st. It's likely to be the case but it would be nice to have some confirmation.

Will Law

Feb 5, 2021
I get that they can't include online multiplayer with Game Pass console because the prices would be silly. Pay $10 a month for ~30 games and online play, or pay $11 a month for hundreds of games and online play.

Still I was hoping the rumors were true and they would finally get rid of the cost of online multiplayer. I doubt it will happen now.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
That's a thing now on consoles? Damn. Microsoft, whaddya doin'?

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is the first miss Microsoft have had with Gamepass so far.
Obviously this isn't anything catastrophic or worth worrying over but I don't really think it's a good move, like I really just don't see the point in it? Did they just want to remove games with gold but didn't want to leave it as just paying for multiplayer?

This is essentially just a rebrand of XBL Gold while also replacing GwG with the Core library. They want the brand to be synonymous with Game Pass. Right now, your subscription page can have two subs from Xbox on it (along with things like Ubi+ and EA Play), and they want to streamline their portion.

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
Get latest Microsoft game releases on Gamepass, cool 😎, Gamepass Core…no not that one, this one, Gamepass, right…🤔you want to play online, not that one either, try this one, 🤔I don't have a PC 🤷‍♀️not that one either, try Ultimate, Okay, most expensive 🤔, it also has cloud gaming, what and why do I need it ? Never mind but forgot to say Ultimate has EA Access, umm 🤔 is that like FIFA, No that's EA Sports FC, what? 🤔

Last edited:

Zerpette

Jun 23, 2023
That's a thing now on consoles? Damn. Microsoft, whaddya doin'?
Yes, unfortunately. To be fair though this isn't unique to Xbox or even to multiplayer games. For example, I think AC Valhalla and Immortals Fenyx Rising both require Ubisoft Connect accounts to play on both PlayStation and Xbox. These used to be optional but seem to be more and more a requirement for games like these with pseudo 'always-online' modes.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
For console players, basically Ultimate is Core + Console so you save 4 dollars a month if you want multiplayer and the library. It's just the existence of PC making it all confusing. lol

renoch

Jan 16, 2019
This made sense to me until I remembered that Game Pass Console doesn't include online multiplayer so now if you want that you need to be subscribed to two tiers of Game Pass at the same time? That's just a bizarre way to set it up. At least before it was clearly differentiated that Gold and Game Pass were separate things so there was some logic to why you would need to subscribe to both of them.

No, you just need to subscribe to ultimate.
Core = some (very few, relatively) games, online play
Console = all games, no online play
Ultimate = all games, online play