• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
29fb9932935f458b727cca1e82481555.png

The Demon of Elru, Id, is a recurring enemy presence throughout the game.

-You do not know where he came from.
-He appears at random times.
-He destroyed an entire nation in the past.

xenogears_id_by_clarityblue_d2q4l7v-fullview.jpg

-He is greatly feared by powerful men, enough to give them PTSD when he appears.
-He can destroy war machines with his bare fists.
-To top this off, he has his own war machine, which is as exponentially powerful in comparison to his own strength as a normal person's is to theirs... which means it's basically invincible, even against armies.

Gxsu2nW.jpg

-His appearance is erratic and frightening.

xenogears__id_by_nicoy-d6lqvlz.jpg

-He represents a real life mental illness, disassociative identity disorder.
-He is the protagonist, so killing him presents an extra layer of "we probably shouldn't do that, even if we could." Which you can't.
-His theme song is spooky.

He feels more like a force of evil than a person. He reminds me of other stalkers like Nemesis, only in JRPG form.

What's your answer?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I really enjoyed the Ubermorph in Dead Space 2

latest

It felt like the entire last act of DS2 was designed around being forced to progress because of this guy, making the last act a joyride where you just gotta keep moving forward. But with some cleaver moves you can find a lot of goodies and stock up for the final fight at the end.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The three people who understand "But who kicked the can?" will know.

Ever17 was so fucking good with this.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
SA-X
Samus is more or less being stalked by herself at the height of her metroid killing ability while herself dealing with being being part metroid

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

If you trigger the DRM of Serious Sam 3 (and I think they added the option after it popularized), the game spawns invincible super-fast scorpions. Of course people have successfully speedrun the game with this enabled.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
SA-X
Samus is more or less being stalked by herself at the height of her metroid killing ability while herself dealing with being being part metroid

I'm an enormous Metroid fan and love SA-X's inclusion in Fusion, and I literally only just realised this blatant parallel. Fuck me I'm an idiot.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017

latest

It felt like the entire last act of DS2 was designed around being forced to progress because of this guy, making the last act a joyride where you just gotta keep moving forward. But with some cleaver moves you can find a lot of goodies and stock up for the final fight at the end.

I prefer the Hunter myself from 1, but there both implemented rather well.

Oct 31, 2017
I entered the thread ready to bet the Dahaka from Prince of Persia Warrior Within would be the first or second mention.

I guess it's becoming old enough for fewer and fewer people to remember it.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
kisspng-pyramid-head-silent-hill-2-silent-hill-downpour-s-hill-5ac75de55a2154.2475980015230151413692.jpg

At least until he got completely overused in other games of the franchise.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

latest

This fucking guy right here, once the shock passed and I realized what was in front of me, made me nope out of the game that day. Good lord that terrifying growl.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Resident Evil: The Thread.

My favorite from that series is kinda recent either way:

tV9cYhp6IXg-b46Pq8z_wk_9CTJVv3B8yzXYqY9DMkTsmGLgje2Wa5VW6BkMaEwJs4TLh51Tfr7yAedt_9ACL9Du8mLsfmU3lnbZtPyEYseIVgp5v7W5tvYyq7rUQY-mMsmJp53nqZTdAI01fYJLND-ZZzin56n95G3YcWbdRzm5hMg-A8MrShH89qnyAAe0EP04c8m5SW8=w321-h458

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Feel like Id is more a different box than outside of the box. If he qualifies then there's probably a dozen JRPG bosses that beat you in the story moment after the boss fight that qualify.

The character is good overall, but I just can't say I felt like I was being stalked by him, or that he was uniquely invincible. The trappings of the genre just don't work with the concept. There's no risk or reward elements, no avoiding him, no resource management, etc.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Feel like Id is more a different box than outside of the box. If he qualifies then there's probably a dozen JRPG bosses that beat you in the story moment after the boss fight that qualify.

The character is good overall, but I just can't say I felt like I was being stalked by him, or that he was uniquely invincible. The trappings of the genre just don't work with the concept. There's no risk or reward elements, no avoiding him, no resource management, etc.
It works more on a thematic or narrative level rather than as a gameplay mechanic. But I know what you mean.

Sakuyahime

Sep 21, 2019
Argentina
Samus's worst nightmare in Metroid Fusion, the SA-X.
It is an X Parasite mimicking Samus Aran's Power Suit.

The most terrifying footsteps you'll ever hear in your life, always somewhere in that research base haunting you, and you're trapped with it.