• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Only the writer did actually care enough to describe enemy types, gunplay and each other element of the game. The fact that the map structure stayed with them and soured their experience is valid, but if you stopped reading at the first paragraph, well, more fool you.
as·sump·tion
/əˈsəm(p)SH(ə)n/
Learn to pronounce
noun

1. 1.
    a thing that is accepted as true or as certain to happen, without proof.

I read the whole review.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Former reviewer here, reviews can be either buyer's guides or critical appraisals. In every medium examples exist of both types of reviews.

They aren't rigidly one or the other. Furthermore, a review from the perspective of 'I haven't played this type of game before' is useful for people that haven't played this type of game before. A review from the perspective of someone who was playing games like this back in 96 is also useful for people who played games like this back in 96.

If you are bothered by any particular approach to game criticism, I'd just advise you don't read that type, and not get hung up on things like metacritic scores or gameranking or whatever.

Personally, I'm excited to play this. I love the idea of a new game with this old technology, and the Digital Foundry coverage sold me on this completely.
And Eurogamer reviews aren't scored, so make no difference to metacritic.

It's literally shouting at someone for their opinion. It's shut no matter who it comes from.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes the aggro in here. Some of y'all need to just move on.

Anyway, can't wait for some Iron Maiden Fury!

This and NMS are gonna be battling it out for my time this weekend.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Calm your farm guys, the game is out. Seriously, detach your hands from each others throats and move on so we can discuss what matters.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Yet you address nothing else but the bits where they're critical of the game, funny that.
Because the topic of conversation wasn't the review. I wasn't talking about the RPS review. It was only tangentially relevant to the actual topic of conversation. The RPS review was a starting point to get to the thing that the post was about. I wasn't ragging on the RPS review.

This repetition brought to you by "Driving the point home" and the letter Ugh.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Looks like a fun game and trip back to nostalgia. But I think it's not something I'd seriously finish or spend more than 10 bucks for it. But I like that they went again with Shelly for Ion Maiden. I played Bombshell a while until it got repetitive for two hours with nothing changing the formula, and since the narrative wasn't something that would get me hooked I dropped it soon.

Cool they still make such games, though. Hope for them it pays out.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
You don't have a fucking clue what you're talking about. If you think the right to reply and criticise is silencing others, what do you think John's post was?
Your opinion aligns with John's so you support the denigration of another, can you not see that?

Saying a review was awful is not the same as calling someone out as unprofessional and claiming that he was effectively risking a hate mob against the RPS reviewer. Calling a review awful is not an attempt to silence that review.

What did you do? You basically told him what he should do: Make cutesy videos like DF Retro that you could feel good about. You think I don't have a clue what I'm talking about? Maybe step back from your big-man-forum-bullying shit for half of a second and look at the world as it really is.

Jaoox

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have any nostalgia for build engine games of the 90's. I've only beaten Shadow Warrior (and it must have been 3 to 4 years ago) and played maybe 2 levels of Duke 3D, but dang, this game looks sweet. The high quality spritework combined with those clean environments, and that's not even mentioning all those voxel objects... It's just cool man.

I'll definitely pick this one up soon.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Saying a review was awful is not the same as calling someone out as unprofessional and claiming that he was effectively risking a hate mob against the RPS reviewer. Calling a review awful is not an attempt to silence that review.

What did you do? You basically told him what he should do: Make cutesy videos like DF Retro that you could feel good about. You think I don't have a clue what I'm talking about? Maybe step back from your big-man-forum-bullying shit for half of a second and look at the world as it really is.
Wow, imagine being so close, yet so far.

If that's your take you really haven't got the first fucking idea.

I didn't mention anything about hate mobs? I think you got me confused with someone else.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
Wow, imagine being so close, yet so far.

If that's your take you really haven't got the first fucking idea.

I didn't mention anything about hate mobs? I think you got me confused with someone else.

That post where I said people were trying to silence other opinions? It didn't mention you specifically. Think about it.

It's unfortunate that you're incapable of admitting being wrong, but sadly, you just earned an ignore.

Jun 14, 2019
48543855962_f451417545_o.png

oh my days hahah

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
I think it looks pretty good. The visuals are great, and I really do miss that kind of exploration. Complex level design is kinda rare these days outside of procedurally generated mazes, and those just aren't the same.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Is it just me, or is this one of those games that feels like something isn't right when Vsync is enabled? Everything feels great playing unlocked, but with Vsync turned on, it feels like the framerate is all over the place, despite the steam framerate counter reporting a stable 60fps. Anyone have any thoughts?

Anton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me, or is this one of those games that feels like something isn't right when Vsync is enabled? Everything feels great playing unlocked, but with Vsync turned on, it feels like the framerate is all over the place, despite the steam framerate counter reporting a stable 60fps. Anyone have any thoughts?
EDuke32 has had some frame pacing issues for a while now, it's a lot better than it used to be but they're still ironing it out for all users

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Civvies video absolutely sold me. And since the editor is out also, I hope for some great user levels down the line.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Probably a frame pacing issue, use RTSS.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
Looks like GOG are dragging their feet again with putting the full version up. Devs have sent them the game already apparently.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
LGRs video sold me on this. Not that it wasn't my thing but it looked cool. I'm glad things like this exist to get us out of the monotony of current releases and trappings of AAA.

Oh and the DF video was good too. As usual

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
Good lord. What an awful take.

There's nothing wrong with this approach of criticism but the entire piece comes off as whining. Of someone that just can't deal with not being told exactly what to do.

I can appreciate that it's not for everyone but this piece answers nothing. It simply boils down to "I need arrows". What happened to the joy of exploration?

What's interesting is that this does sort of explain why I'm increasingly bored with so many modern games. Open world is so popular yet so pointless for me as these games are packed with sign posts and waypoints. You cannot get lost. There's no sense of discovery. The missions can be great but the world in between is just space you must traverse while running to the next on screen indicator.

So this RPS piece is concerning as I suspect they're not alone in losing interest in actual level design. There's been a real push lately towards making sure the player always knows where their next objective is. Once you're there, some excellent gameplay opportunities can arise, but you're rarely allowed to get lost.

Thankfully, games liked Doom 2016 and the Souls series offer solid level design that doesn't coddle the player but they're increasingly uncommon.

Still, the RPS guy didn't enjoy it at all - that's fine - but the structure of the text and the complete focus on his inability to deal with open ended level design rubs me the wrong way. It's just not a good piece at all.
You're goddamn right.gif

Isn't that kind of useful to people who are like the reviewer though? Not every review needs to be for the hardcore fans who already know they're going to like the game. Sometimes getting an outsider to review it is useful because that way people who are also outsiders to the style can make a better judgement on whether they think they might like it than from someone just gushing over the game endlessly.

I'd quite happily read a website comprised of fighting game reviews by someone who doesn't usually get on with fighting games for example.
Lol this is incredibly disingenuous. People 'like the reviewer' know at first glance they are not touching the game with a ten foot pole. It's the rest who need to know in detail how it plays (and how well) and who are not served at all by.. whatever that piece was. Still, par for the RPS course I guess.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
Any date, or estimated date, on when this might come to consoles? Or official comments from devs? The game looks glorious and I've been on a classic FPS kick recently. Sometimes I feel that console release dates for games being "eventually," or some variation of that word, means that there's a good chance it won't come at all.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Lol this is incredibly disingenuous.
No, it's not. There's value in being able to see perspectives from people who typically share your opinions on things, since their opinion on new thing may also line up with yours. If that someone likes a thing they didn't expect to, you might like it it too. Maybe not to same extent as RPS here, but there's sometimes value to some people in having an outsider review something.

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still not updated on gog. Probably for the better, it's way too hot to do anything right now, need to plug in a fan asap

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
The 3D Realms Logo has a Crystal Caves or a sound alike sound bite and startled me haha.

Morrowless

Oct 27, 2017
I think gmanlives is right about weapons at least. Don't see much point in using the xbow and the disc bomb is redundant...
I've been finding plenty of ammo on Ultra Viscera though, and I'm not even good at FPS. Feel just right.
Really loving the soundtrack.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's really poor form and very unprofessional for one game critic to publicly talk shit about another one imo, especially in an age where many people online will latch on to any excuse to harrass a critic who didn't like their fave. You like the old-school design, he didn't. And as you yourself insinuate, there are probably a lot of people who simply won't gel with this type of game, and they may find the review useful.

Irony alert: You are being really toxic.

Gusy

Oct 27, 2017
This might be the best looking game i've seen this year. It's a marvel. Dont miss it

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Irony alert: You are being really toxic.
thanks, really appreciate this hours after already being dogpiled by like 5 different dudes for saying maybe it's bad form for one critic to call another one's take "awful" and "whining". Congrats for being the third person on my ignore list. Maybe take some time to read the rest of the thread first next time.

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
I think gmanlives is right about weapons at least. Don't see much point in using the xbow and the disc bomb is redundant...
I've been finding plenty of ammo on Ultra Viscera though, and I'm not even good at FPS. Feel just right.
Really loving the soundtrack.
Interesting, Civvie said that the crossbow is the best weapon in the game and he seemed to like using it.

abracadaver

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Not playing until achievements are live. After waiting like 2 years I can wait a few more weeks

Really disappointing that they couldn't deliver them for release