• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
What else does she do on her Surface Pro?

I can't speak to the Surface Pro, but I can speak to the iPad Pro as an illustrator, it's probably the best purchase I've made in quite a long time. The Pencil 2 isn't any different from the first functionally, but the performance on the 2018 iPad Pro in Procreate is fantastic.

I've been using Project Gemini lately (Adobe's new painting / illustration app) and it's pretty amazing, and there's a lot to look forward to with it.
She uses it pretty much exclusively for drawing up tattoo designs and doesn't really make use of it at all as a general PC device. She knows the iPad will largely be an improvement for her, it's better suited to her needs in almost every way, I was just curious in case anyone could put forward any major downsides compared to the Surface (which basically is almost nothing, lol).

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
She uses it pretty much exclusively for drawing up tattoo designs and doesn't really make use of it at all as a general PC device. She knows the iPad will largely be an improvement for her, it's better suited to her needs in almost every way, I was just curious in case anyone could put forward any major downsides compared to the Surface (which basically is almost nothing, lol).

If all she's using it for is illustration, she'll be happy. I had a SP4, SB2 and now I use an iPad Pro and it's great. Procreate can export in PSD if she needs to send it to a Mac/PC to finish things up. Plus Photoshop for iPad is coming soon.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If all she's using it for is illustration, she'll be happy. I had a SP4, SB2 and now I use an iPad Pro and it's great. Procreate can export in PSD if she needs to send it to a Mac/PC to finish things up. Plus Photoshop for iPad is coming soon.

I agree with this somewhat and if Photoshop on iPad does just two things it'll be perfect for me :

1. Let me save files and hard versions to physical media - SD card ideally but I'll take wireless transfer if it's real-time and not to a cloud
2. Support more drawing tools and UI conventions that don't simply ape the pc version but don't nerf things either. Adobe sketch does a few things right but is obviously really limited.

Otherwise I'm sticking with the Surface for file management alone.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to get one of these and I thought the limitations are just too much, but it looks like it could do a lot of what I want. The main issue for me is limited development tools. I could circumvent this by just connecting to a VPS to do builds and other stuff, but not having a debugger in safari sucks. I'm not doing actual work on it, but for personal projects it's still too limited.

Basically, it looks like there's a lot of work arounds that can make this thing a replacement for a MacBook, but it's just not there. I really want one though, so hopefully they really expand its capabilities soon.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to get one of these and I thought the limitations are just too much, but it looks like it could do a lot of what I want. The main issue for me is limited development tools. I could circumvent this by just connecting to a VPS to do builds and other stuff, but not having a debugger in safari sucks. I'm not doing actual work on it, but for personal projects it's still too limited.

Basically, it looks like there's a lot of work arounds that can make this thing a replacement for a MacBook, but it's just not there. I really want one though, so hopefully they really expand its capabilities soon.

A MacBook with a touch screen would actually be a lot better for some folks than an iPad with a normalized storage and file system. iOS itself doesn't provide anything useful to the power use of photoshop beyond the form factor and pencil. But the iPad is a much better Swiss army knife in terms of content consumption and apps and liveability for travel and light work /communication. So I'd rather it got fixed than compromise elsewhere.

SD card support would be 99% of the way towards tipping the utility balance. If I could just have a simple path to a folder system with better management from the device itself. There are lots of workarounds and habits you can adopt that get it close, and some folks swear by it but ymmv - for me eventually it feels like trying to sew with an oven mitten on. The iOS file system as it stands is almost insultingly limited and inconsistent in the way it's used across different app and cloud storage ecosystems.

I also have a Surface Pro 4 and a Surface Book (set up as a docked desktop machine with three monitors including the book touchscreen - and placed in hinge stand mode so I can have a separate keyboard in front). Ironically I've never tried to properly configure my Pro 4 as a media consumption device so maybe I should give that another shot. I'm also hopelessly addicted to the smart cover keyboard on the iPad pro. Literally my favorite typing surface ever. Touch, feel, travel, texture, everything. A standalone Bluetooth version would instantly replace my desktop machine's current keyboard.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A MacBook with a touch screen would actually be a lot better for some folks than an iPad with a normalized storage and file system. iOS itself doesn't provide anything useful to the power use of photoshop beyond the form factor and pencil. But the iPad is a much better Swiss army knife in terms of content consumption and apps and liveability for travel and light work /communication. So I'd rather it got fixed than compromise elsewhere.

SD card support would be 99% of the way towards tipping the utility balance. If I could just have a simple path to a folder system with better management from the device itself. There are lots of workarounds and habits you can adopt that get it close, and some folks swear by it but ymmv - for me eventually it feels like trying to sew with an oven mitten on. The iOS file system as it stands is almost insultingly limited and inconsistent in the way it's used across different app and cloud storage ecosystems.

I also have a Surface Pro 4 and a Surface Book (set up as a docked desktop machine with three monitors including the book touchscreen - and placed in hinge stand mode so I can have a separate keyboard in front). Ironically I've never tried to properly configure my Pro 4 as a media consumption device so maybe I should give that another shot. I'm also hopelessly addicted to the smart cover keyboard on the iPad pro. Literally my favorite typing surface ever. Touch, feel, travel, texture, everything. A standalone Bluetooth version would instantly replace my desktop machine's current keyboard.

I feel like a touch screen MacBook would get us halfway there, but still be short on what a lot of people want. The iPad's form factor makes it the best media consumption device out there, so adding a touch screen to a Mac would still not get us that all in one work and consumption device that apple thinks (or at least advertises) the iPad is at currently. So yeah, I agree with you that I'd rather see the ipad's capabilities expanded.

It's like you look at the iPad and see a blurry image of this perfect device.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
is there any update on Gemini/PS for iPad? The longer I keep using Procreate, I'm not sure if I'll switch when Adobe releases PS.

For release date, no idea. I will say that it's a different beast from Procreate. I think they'll both have a place together for digital artists for different reasons (chiefly: Brushes in Gemini are far better than Procreate, IMO). Also worth noting that Gemini and Photoshop aren't one in the same on iPad, they're both separate apps.

In this case, I think moving to the iPad would be the best decision, since she'll get considerably better battery life, and much more portability. All the basic stuff she needs is still there (web, email, etc). I think it's a sound choice if that's her only use.

I agree with this somewhat and if Photoshop on iPad does just two things it'll be perfect for me :

1. Let me save files and hard versions to physical media - SD card ideally but I'll take wireless transfer if it's real-time and not to a cloud
2. Support more drawing tools and UI conventions that don't simply ape the pc version but don't nerf things either. Adobe sketch does a few things right but is obviously really limited.

Otherwise I'm sticking with the Surface for file management alone.

Saving to physical media doesn't really make sense for mobile. I use the whole host of Adobe mobile apps and save to their included cloud storage all the time. Also worth noting that you can take your PSD from the cloud and share it with others via link, or you can push your project directly to the desktop companion app and save to physical media there. All of these happen in real time.

i.e. if I start a project in Sketch / Gemini / Draw / Comp, I can push them all directly to my desktop apps (Photoshop, Illustrator, XD, InDesign) near instantaneously. Alternatively my Adobe Cloud storage is mounted on my iMac so I browse those files just like I would any other storage device, and can move them accordingly wherever I want. Physical storage just seems redundant when you already have all of these options available to you.

I think you'd enjoy Gemini. I don't think I can speak too much about it, but in my experience thus far, it's fantastic. It's still missing some key features from Procreate or Photoshop, but I think that might be intentional, as Gemini and Photoshop will likely be launching next to one another and may likely have some integration to push a project back and forth between the two. It's still being developed, so whatever I think is missing may and likely will be coming down the pipeline in further builds. At this point though, I think it's top of its class for brush engine and real time performance.

Last edited:

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I thought Gemini was the brush engine and was part of PS iPad.

can you speak on why the need for 2 different apps? Gemini is just laser focused on digital illustration and PS is... well PS. Is that the gist?

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I thought Gemini was the brush engine and was part of PS iPad.

can you speak on why the need for 2 different apps? Gemini is just laser focused on digital illustration and PS is... well PS. Is that the gist?

Gemini is their replacement for Adobe Sketch. It is, as you said, laser focused on digital illustration. It supports both raster and vector illustration (within the same project), and supports all Adobe Brushes, along side their new "Live Brushes" which simulate things like Acrylic paints, or Water Colors (and they're fantastic, in my experience).

Basically Adobe is getting rid of Sketch & Draw in the future, and Gemini will replace them both, and improve on many of their missing features.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For release date, no idea. I will say that it's a different beast from Procreate. I think they'll both have a place together for digital artists for different reasons (chiefly: Brushes in Gemini are far better than Procreate, IMO). Also worth noting that Gemini and Photoshop aren't one in the same on iPad, they're both separate apps.

So I'm super interested in this. What would be the reasons people still use Procreate after Gemini comes out, ignoring cost and all that? What are its advantages?

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
So I'm super interested in this. What would be the reasons people still use Procreate after Gemini comes out, ignoring cost and all that? What are its advantages?

I'll only speak to where Procreate shines, since I can't divulge much about Gemini. One strong area are it's smart gesture control. So things like Clipping masks, alpha masks (painting within pixels on the layer), or things like shape assistance (so long hold to make straight lines, circles, squares, etc). Other strengths I think Procreate has are things like the drawing assist (symmetry), the grids, and things like reference layers.

I think on the tools end, Procreate will still be a foundational part of many artists workflow. However, I don't think it's likely that Procreate will be able to match up to the brush engine that Adobe has in Photoshop & Gemini. The performance is incredible, and the live brushes are something else all together (the way they blend colors, bleed, etc).

I can see people using Gemini to make things closer to "traditional art", where as Procreate will still be a strong staple for things like comic illustration, where strong accurate lines are required.

Edit: I'm intentionally not speaking about Gemini too much because I can't, but I'll share some examples of the blending & art brushes a bit later so you can see what I'm talking about (we're allowed to share art, just not discuss UI or features because obviously all of that is still underdevelopment and being implemented, so it's not really a good idea to talk about things that are missing that aren't in Gemini, because they very well may be implemented upon initial / future release).

Last edited:

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017

Yeah, I tried my hardest not to get the Folio Keyboard because $199 is step as fuck - but there weren't any viable alternatives.

I agree the keyboard experience is certainly amazing. My only complaints are the fact that I have large hands / long fingers - so I sometimes touch the screen with my fingers which can cause me to click somewhere else. I have this issue with the Surface as well, but the keyboard on this isn't as tall - so it's a bit more frequent. Also, the keyboard being exposed when folding it back for regular use is such an awful oversight. It's annoying enough where I literally take a spare case with me to swap when I'm not using they keyboard Lol.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll only speak to where Procreate shines, since I can't divulge much about Gemini. One strong area are it's smart gesture control. So things like Clipping masks, alpha masks (painting within pixels on the layer), or things like shape assistance (so long hold to make straight lines, circles, squares, etc). Other strengths I think Procreate has are things like the drawing assist (symmetry), the grids, and things like reference layers.

I think on the tools end, Procreate will still be a foundational part of many artists workflow. However, I don't think it's likely that Procreate will be able to match up to the brush engine that Adobe has in Photoshop & Gemini. The performance is incredible, and the live brushes are something else all together (the way they blend colors, bleed, etc).

I can see people using Gemini to make things closer to "traditional art", where as Procreate will still be a strong staple for things like comic illustration, where strong accurate lines are required.

Edit: I'm intentionally not speaking about Gemini too much because I can't, but I'll share some examples of the blending & art brushes a bit later so you can see what I'm talking about (we're allowed to share art, just not discuss UI or features because obviously all of that is still underdevelopment and being implemented, so it's not really a good idea to talk about things that are missing that aren't in Gemini, because they very well may be implemented upon initial / future release).

I appreciate the info, thank you! My roommate is a graphic designer and uses his iPad Pro exclusively for his art, and I know he's keenly aware of Gemini and Photoshop on the iPad. I'm nowhere near that level but I like new things and playing around in these kind of apps is fun, even if I can't do anything.

Examples would be awesome, I look forward to it!

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Gemini is their replacement for Adobe Sketch. It is, as you said, laser focused on digital illustration. It supports both raster and vector illustration (within the same project), and supports all Adobe Brushes, along side their new "Live Brushes" which simulate things like Acrylic paints, or Water Colors (and they're fantastic, in my experience).

Basically Adobe is getting rid of Sketch & Draw in the future, and Gemini will replace them both, and improve on many of their missing features.

GREAT. I hope it releases soon and is included in my LR+PS subscription.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
GREAT. I hope it releases soon and is included in my LR+PS subscription.

It should be free for everyone when it releases. The only things locked behind the subscriptions will be brushes and exporting to Photoshop, etc. You'll be good to go as soon as it's out, Kyle T. Webster brushes and all!

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
Ipad pro 11 inch worth getting if i have an iphone max?

I have a first gen ipad air but its been running super slow. I want to mainly use it for browsing, netflix, twitch, youtube, etc.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Ipad pro 11 inch worth getting if i have an iphone max?

I have a first gen ipad air but its been running super slow. I want to mainly use it for browsing, netflix, twitch, youtube, etc.

I'd that's your main interest save the money and get the standard iPad. The Pro is really only worth it if you have some more strenuous demands or disposable income.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'd that's your main interest save the money and get the standard iPad. The Pro is really only worth it if you have some more strenuous demands or disposable income.

What's considered strenuous tasks these days? I ask because I'm going to get an iPad Pro 11 this weekend as my 32gb ipad mini 2 is too slow to really enjoy these days.

I have an XS Max but that's more for when I'm out and about.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
What's considered strenuous tasks these days? I ask because I'm going to get an iPad Pro 11 this weekend as my 32gb ipad mini 2 is too slow to really enjoy these days.

I have an XS Max but that's more for when I'm out and about.

Well, things that require more memory, like video edits, illustration, audio recording, anything out of the ordinary.

If you just need it to browse the internet & read comics / watch videos, a Pro is probably overkill for your needs. They look nice and perform amazingly, and you'd definitely be able to keep it longer without an upgrade, but the price difference is pretty massive between a standard iPad and a Pro.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Well, things that require more memory, like video edits, illustration, audio recording, anything out of the ordinary.

If you just need it to browse the internet & read comics / watch videos, a Pro is probably overkill for your needs. They look nice and perform amazingly, and you'd definitely be able to keep it longer without an upgrade, but the price difference is pretty massive between a standard iPad and a Pro.

Photo/Video editing is as far as I'd take it. Looks like a pro for me. Price isn't a factor as much as longevity. My iPad Mini 2 lasted five years. That's damn good value. If I can get five years out of this thing it's worth it.

Now to find a solid keyboard/case.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Photo/Video editing is as far as I'd take it. Looks like a pro for me. Price isn't a factor as much as longevity. My iPad Mini 2 lasted five years. That's damn good value. If I can get five years out of this thing it's worth it.

Now to find a solid keyboard/case.
If price isn't a factor so much and you want it for a long time I'd say definitely get the 12.9. I have it and do some photo and video editing on it and wouldn't want it any smaller. There would be a bigger difference from your XS Max too. It's only the size of a piece of paper.

I use the Apple made keyboard case which is expensive but light and convenient.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
Hi all, quick question: can you purchase 4k videos off iTunes on this iPad? And can you then stream them to a 4k TV? I already have a USB C to HDMI cable...

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Why does Apple Music close its PIP when at the end of a video? Why doesn't it just keep playing the next song? I noticed it takes 2 seconds to open another PiP but I'm not sure this is a feature, seems more like a bug?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Hi all, quick question: can you purchase 4k videos off iTunes on this iPad? And can you then stream them to a 4k TV? I already have a USB C to HDMI cable...
On iTunes, if a movie is offered in 4K, that's what you buy. I don't think the iPad can play them in 4K though (but it will do HDR). As for getting them to your tv, no I don't think that's possible. As far as I know, only way to play 4K iTunes files is buying an Apple TV 4K (which is a super worthwhile purchase imo)

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I surprisingly love my 4K. Just bought Train your Dragon 2 digital last weekend so kids could watch it a few times before we see 3 in theatres.

I also like using my AirPods with my Apple TV. Another thing I use it for is playing my sound at with my HomePod. Let's me add some More base and room coverage.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
On iTunes, if a movie is offered in 4K, that's what you buy. I don't think the iPad can play them in 4K though (but it will do HDR). As for getting them to your tv, no I don't think that's possible. As far as I know, only way to play 4K iTunes files is buying an Apple TV 4K (which is a super worthwhile purchase imo)

You can output HDR of an iPad using the right cable, but no 4K

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209186#displays

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
Just got the iPad Pro 11. Wow this is a huge upgrade from the iPad Air gen 1. 120hz feels sooooo good.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
Went from an iPad Mini 2. Holy shit....

Yea I was planning on just tryin it out and then possibly returning cause of the return policy... but wow this feels like a whole new device lol.

I couldn't do split view on iPad Air... so it's kinda mind blowing running stuff like twitch and safari together on one screen with zero lag.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Went to the apple store today to test out the new iPads. I was thinking of maybe getting the 12.9 but man, it just feels a little too unwieldy. Maybe I'd get it if I wanted it to fully replace my computer, but seeing as it's not there then I don't see a need to go that big. Basically I just want to draw and edit pictures, and do all my media consumption on it. The 11 is actually a really great size. I haven't really played with an iPad since the 9.7 days, and 11 looks like a great upgrade from that. Also a lot cheaper.

Are games and apps pretty big in size on the iPad? I've been coasting pretty easily with 64gb + 50gb iCloud on my iPhone, but I feel like 64gb would run out quickly since I want a lot more apps on there than I have on my iPhone, and apps could be bigger in size.

I wish there was a cheaper 128gb option.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Yea I was planning on just tryin it out and then possibly returning cause of the return policy... but wow this feels like a whole new device lol.

I couldn't do split view on iPad Air... so it's kinda mind blowing running stuff like twitch and safari together on one screen with zero lag.

Air was my first ipad, than I trapped air 2. From that to pro 11. Believe me they hype doesn't go away. The thing is a machine and its only going to get better with updates.

I bought a cheap stand i have it sit in and a cheap Logitech BT keyboard and I'm loving the combo so far but its def not as versatile as that fancy new KB case. Having them all as one thing seems nice, i need to go back to apple store and check it out again..

But anyways this is why I'm learning the KB shortcuts for my iPAD. The screen gets dirty and fingerprints fast. I use mine a lot, but wow air 2 had to have been better in this regard and i heard maybe its something to do with the coating for the pencil?

Which i love btw, the pencil is so good. My kids love it. It's all win.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I surprisingly love my 4K. Just bought Train your Dragon 2 digital last weekend so kids could watch it a few times before we see 3 in theatres.

I also like using my AirPods with my Apple TV. Another thing I use it for is playing my sound at with my HomePod. Let's me add some More base and room coverage.
Apple TV has become by far the most convenient way for me to watch movies for me in years. No Redbox or any kind of good disc rental service here in Canada, and the 4K HDR Atmos is perfect for my setup.

And the iPad Pro 12.9 is the first mobile device I've found suitable for watching movies on.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Went to the apple store today to test out the new iPads. I was thinking of maybe getting the 12.9 but man, it just feels a little too unwieldy. Maybe I'd get it if I wanted it to fully replace my computer, but seeing as it's not there then I don't see a need to go that big. Basically I just want to draw and edit pictures, and do all my media consumption on it. The 11 is actually a really great size. I haven't really played with an iPad since the 9.7 days, and 11 looks like a great upgrade from that. Also a lot cheaper.

Are games and apps pretty big in size on the iPad? I've been coasting pretty easily with 64gb + 50gb iCloud on my iPhone, but I feel like 64gb would run out quickly since I want a lot more apps on there than I have on my iPhone, and apps could be bigger in size.

I wish there was a cheaper 128gb option.

Yea, 13 inches just too much for my use case. I prefer the smaller form factor. And I mean compared to the iPad mini the 11 inch is a beast in terms of size.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting about Gemini. I've ditched everything else for Procreate. It's amazing. Be nice to combine the two. Does anyone know if Gemini does resizing, and all the litle extras that PS is indispensable for?

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I saw on reddit today a lot of people vouching for the otter box symmetry for the iPad Pro
I'm just wondering why people don't like apples case vs the otter box

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I saw on reddit today a lot of people vouching for the otter box symmetry for the iPad Pro
I'm just wondering why people don't like apples case vs the otter box
Probably because Apple's Folio case is ridiculously expensive for what it is. It's not a bad case per-se, but it doesn't offer a lot of protection since the edges are exposed (though the long edge has to be now, to support wireless charging) and it feels kind of cheap with a rubbery finish that gets marked up pretty easily. I don't see anything which justifies its cost.

I saw someone with an 11" iPad in a "composition notebook" case the other day, and was surprised at how much I liked that. It's a good way to camouflage the device at a glance. I think there are decals available if you have the Apple Keyboard Folio too.

I'd much rather be caseless with an iPad, as even the Apple folio adds a lot of thickness and weight to the device, but the camera bump on the back requires it. I miss when the camera was flush, and would take a lower-end camera for that.
I do sometimes wonder if I should have just bought the Keyboard Folio since the non-keyboard Folio itself makes the device that much thicker and heavier, but probably 90% of my use with the iPad is in portrait mode either using touch or the Pencil anyway. I've actually been wondering if there are cases out there which can stand the device up in portrait mode rather than landscape.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Probably because Apple's Folio case is ridiculously expensive for what it is. It's not a bad case per-se, but it doesn't offer a lot of protection since the edges are exposed (though the long edge has to be now, to support wireless charging) and it feels kind of cheap with a rubbery finish that gets marked up pretty easily. I don't see anything which justifies its cost.

I saw someone with an 11" iPad in a "composition notebook" case the other day, and was surprised at how much I liked that. It's a good way to camouflage the device at a glance. I think there are decals available if you have the Apple Keyboard Folio too.

I'd much rather be caseless with an iPad, as even the Apple folio adds a lot of thickness and weight to the device, but the camera bump on the back requires it. I miss when the camera was flush, and would take a lower-end camera for that.
I do sometimes wonder if I should have just bought the Keyboard Folio since the non-keyboard Folio itself makes the device that much thicker and heavier, but probably 90% of my use with the iPad is in portrait mode either using touch or the Pencil anyway. I've actually been wondering if there are cases out there which can stand the device up in portrait mode rather than landscape.

So since you seem knowledgeable on the subject what do you think of the symmetry?

My last ipad was an air 2 and I loved its case Apple made, but I never used a kB or anything.

So far i have been using the Pro 11 naked but I am so scared it going to get wrecked. It feels awesome holding it but than also I wonder if I would agree with sides of the Apple case because I I would want it wider and does it let you feel the side than? I wish Apple had it out in store...I wonder if Apple store would Bend so far to get one out for me to try, does the return policy work on cases too

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
So since you seem knowledgeable on the subject what do you think of the symmetry?
My last ipad was an air 2 and I loved its case Apple made, but I never used a kB or anything.

So far i have been using the Pro 11 naked but I am so scared it going to get wrecked. It feels awesome holding it but than also I wonder if I would agree with sides of the Apple case because I I would want it wider and does it let you feel the side than? I wish Apple had it out in store...I wonder if Apple store would Bend so far to get one out for me to try, does the return policy work on cases too
I think it's one of the more popular choices simply because it was one of the first third-party cases available for the new iPads, is cheaper than the Apple one, and also covers the Pencil while still allowing it to charge.
I am not particularly fond of cases with a clear plastic back rather than a fabric-lined interior so I would choose something else, but I don't have any particular recommendations.
I use the Apple Folio, but that's largely because it was the only case available on day 1. I'm quite careful with my devices so the exposed edges don't bother me, but many people are going to want/require something more protective.

If you're near an Apple store, it couldn't hurt to go down there and ask about cases. I'm not sure if they'll let you try third-party ones, but I would expect them to have the Folio/Keyboard Folio on display.
As I said, even just the Smart Folio adds quite a bit of thickness and weight to the device - though less than other cases - so I'd recommend trying one if you can.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
So I've recently lost the ability to import photos in all of my illustration apps and I don't know why. Permissions are correct, but they simply do not show up when I go to import a photo. Works fine in Facebook. Any ideas?

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I've recently lost the ability to import photos in all of my illustration apps and I don't know why. Permissions are correct, but they simply do not show up when I go to import a photo. Works fine in Facebook. Any ideas?

Interesting. Aside from Gemini what apps are giving you trouble? And have you tried revoking the permission then granting it again?

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just got my IPad Pro yesterday, and so far I'm impressed. I got the 11'' and the screen is nice and large enough for most anything I want to do. Surfing the web on this is great, and all the different media apps makes this the best device to use for non work stuff.

I ended up opting to get an apple folio knockoff from amazon, and the thing is great. It's not as high quality as the apple one, but it gets me everything I need from one at a fifth of the cost. I'm using a Bluetooth keyboard to type and this flow is working really nicely for me.

My biggest complaint is how easily fingerprints show on the screen, but I get that it's for the Apple Pencil. I got mine today and it's really, really nice. I ended up getting procreate and so far so good, just learning how this works and practicing drawing since I've been outta practice for the last few years.

I'm loving it, still, I wish I could do all the things I could on my MacBook and retire it. Sadly, can't debug code, use full featured IDEs, etc. I know there's a lot you can do on an iPad, and I may end up getting pythonista, but it's still limited, especially with how it kills background processes. Anyways, this isn't the device for it yet but I'm okay with that for now.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pythonista is rad, I'm using it for a class right now. Not perfect, but at my beginner level I'm pretty impressed. All of my programs needs to run from terminal so when I'm at a Mac I can just access the iCloud container folder Pythonista creates and run them straight from there, no moving files needed. The power of the cloud (tm)

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Interesting. Aside from Gemini what apps are giving you trouble? And have you tried revoking the permission then granting it again?

I figured it out with some google-fu.

Apparently, inexplicably, there's a bug related to png files. When I export from Gemini I do PNGs, and I had too many of them "in succession" so the library that accesses photos shits the bed, which caused it to not work in iMessages, Gemini, Procreate, etc. For some reason Facebook was fine, but everything else was borked (even my notes app). Deleted the PNGs and suddenly everything worked again.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I'm having to force myself to stop cleaning my screen so much. I'm a power user and it just is endless really. I need to relegate myself to cleaning it once a day or something. If i had a case, with a cover i guess i would not thnk about it as much but it's usually propped up on a stand looking at me lol