• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Colour to Get

• black

Votes: 276 37.7%
  • white

Votes: 32 4.4%
  • blue

Votes: 46 6.3%
  • purple

Votes: 313 42.8%
  • red

Votes: 23 3.1%
  • silver

Votes: 68 9.3%
  • gold

Votes: 44 6.0%

• Total voters

Fixuis

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Is there a good MagSafe compatible case for the 14 pro max with raised edges/bumpers so I don't need to put on a screen protector in case of a fall? Thanks!

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
any thoughts on how the 14 (non Pro) compares to a 12 Pro? Wondering how fast the features are trickling down.

Whenever I upgraded from an 11 (non Pro) to a 12 Pro, I immediately could tell it felt more premium. Wondering if the 14 has the 12 Pro premium feeling and how it compares overall.
You should use Apple's compare tool:
www.apple.com

iPhone - Compare Models

Compare features and technical specifications for iPhone 15 Pro, iPhone 15 Pro Max, iPhone 15, iPhone 15 Plus, iPhone SE, and many more.
Honestly, it's a bit of a wash. Chip is only 1 gen newer. Lose the telephoto camera but gain the "telephoto" on the 14's main camera. Gain the new video recording modes and phone is slightly lighter since it's aluminum instead of steel. If you rock the caseless look, the aluminum doesn't hold up as well.
I'm not sure if it would be worth the money to be honest, the 12 Pro is still a premium phone. The 14 Pro might be more worth it

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
What are the advantages
Early on, there was less risk of damaging your phone with a bad cable (still can happen but not as common as it used to be), the connector also is slightly smaller, and most importantly lightning is more durable and so is the port. USB-C ports can be damaged much more easily, as can the cables even though those aren't as much big a deal. There was also the accessory ecosystem then, and USB-C still suffers from different cable specs, although they'll all do a good job of charging. Also it hasn't been until the push with iOS and the iPad pros that iOS that you could really take advantage of the USB-C cables.

Plus at the time of USB-C started being pushed in the MacBook lineup, lightning had only been out 4 or 5 years and people had just stocked up on them and gone through what was a somewhat painful transition to lightning. It's easy to see why they stuck with lightning but I think now would be the best time to switch as lightning has finally turned 10 years old. It's surprisingly been around longer than the 30 pin ever was, which got introduced in 2003 and killed in 2011.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
You should use Apple's compare tool:
www.apple.com

iPhone - Compare Models

Compare features and technical specifications for iPhone 15 Pro, iPhone 15 Pro Max, iPhone 15, iPhone 15 Plus, iPhone SE, and many more.
Honestly, it's a bit of a wash. Chip is only 1 gen newer. Lose the telephoto camera but gain the "telephoto" on the 14's main camera. Gain the new video recording modes and phone is slightly lighter since it's aluminum instead of steel. If you rock the caseless look, the aluminum doesn't hold up as well.
I'm not sure if it would be worth the money to be honest, the 12 Pro is still a premium phone. The 14 Pro might be more worth it

I'm definitely not upgrading, just got the 12 Pro last year. Just kind of curious how fast the standard turns into a Pro from a few years ago. So it's more like the 14 standard is very similar to the 11 Pro I guess? Or maybe some kind of mix of the 11/12 Pro.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
To me, their style negates the entire fun and elegance of a leather wrapped case. I know their leather is good, but I also hate the browns they use. Wish they had a permanent tan offering.

this is just terrible to me even compared to Apple's junk leather. For their prices… I'd rather have Bullstrap, Andar, or Ryan of London.

0cc4c38f-3dfe-4d4c-b19f-304941e4926b
Yeah I was just looking at Andar and Bullstrap. I like those as well. However that Dune color from Bullstrap is nice. I wonder how that will go with my space gray iPhone 14 pro.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Umber is a new variant. Saddle Brown was available for iPhone 5S all the way through iPhone 12, but for 13 it was replaced with Golden Brown (a mustard tone). Saddle Brown used to patina well, but Apple switched to a terrible tanning method that is like painted chipping in the last few years. The last version of Saddle Brown was for iPhone 12 and aged horribly.

well that fucking sucks. I have the XS Max, with saddle brown currently. Guess I'm SOL from now on.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely not upgrading, just got the 12 Pro last year. Just kind of curious how fast the standard turns into a Pro from a few years ago. So it's more like the 14 standard is very similar to the 11 Pro I guess? Or maybe some kind of mix of the 11/12 Pro.

13 pro chip and camera hardware, 14 pro camera software (action camera, 4k cinematic mode etc)

Mainly missing the stainless steel frame, promotion, and the extra camera from the 13 pro

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
kind of feeling like a made a drunk mistake the other night. I have a 12 pro max on ATT. First I thought for some reason this iPhone would have USB-C. Second I thought I was eligible for a decent trade in promotion? I pre-ordered a 14 pro max and paid off the rest of my phone. Which was like $300. I have unlimited data plan on ATT and sounds like I might have to upgrade further on my plan to get the $1000 credit trade in. I guess we'll see. A little disappointed right now

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
little surprising to hear that potential big improvements in camera is considers incremental but a slightly different way to charge would be a reason to upgrade.

I get the relative convenience of one fewer charging cable (although we would still have the same number, just swap a lightning with a usb-c, still need to be able to charge with the rest of the family's stuff)

Aztechnology worth checking out selling the 12 pro separately? If you have to upgrade your plan the total cost to change may not be much different?

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
little surprising to hear that potential big improvements in camera
I realize that cameras are one of the biggest pillars of the Pro lineups and that I'm not the exact target demographic but

I wouldn't mind if they chilled tf out with the cameras at this point, those Pro camera cutouts are getting comical. They're not even contained neatly in their own corner anymore, width-wise they reach into the whole other half of the backside! Keep growing like that and eventually the whole thing will just be a straight bridge like the Pixels.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
little surprising to hear that potential big improvements in camera is considers incremental but a slightly different way to charge would be a reason to upgrade.

I get the relative convenience of one fewer charging cable (although we would still have the same number, just swap a lightning with a usb-c, still need to be able to charge with the rest of the family's stuff)

Aztechnology worth checking out selling the 12 pro separately? If you have to upgrade your plan the total cost to change may not be much different?
I think I may be able to get $600 from BB trade in. Might be my best bet. I'm not really sure what plan upgrade I'd have available. I'll check Friday when I go in I guess.

MC-MC

Dec 15, 2017
Apologies if this has already been addressed; watching the event I got the impression the 14 Plus had the best battery life of any iPhone however looking at the compare tool on the Apple website it seems the 14 Pro Max is still better (at least when looking at video playback). Am I misremembering the event, or did I miss the part where the Pro Max battery was discussed?

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any recommended iphone14 pro cases for the UK?

I might get a new wireless charger as well

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got an email from Apple, i'm receiving something tomorrow !!!

(My Iphone 14 Pro Max case...)

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
Managed to sort my payment issue out with Apple by ringing them. The issue was with Apple Pay, the customer service rep tried the payment using the same card but not through Apple Pay and it worked fine. She said sometimes Apple Pay fails for some reason so just keep an eye on your emails in case you have the same issue.

Buck Dancer

Oct 27, 2017
Apple's cases use a cheap tanning process that is like paint now, and has sucked for years. Black ages ok, but the rest show dark chipping instead of patina.

Personally, I'd look at Andar, Bullstrap, or Ryan of London. Ryan of London is probably the prettiest since they don't have obvious logos, but they are slower to launch new cases. So second choice would be Andar, but all 3 brands patina well. I think Nomad cases are ugly - the leather doesn't cover the sides and their browns are like… Grandfather's Shoe tone.

I dont like their colors or the way the cases dont cover the sides in leather

Umber is a new variant. Saddle Brown was available for iPhone 5S all the way through iPhone 12, but for 13 it was replaced with Golden Brown (a mustard tone). Saddle Brown used to patina well, but Apple switched to a terrible tanning method that is like painted chipping in the last few years. The last version of Saddle Brown was for iPhone 12 and aged horribly.

I expect Umber to age as terribly as the last couple years of cases. It's more reddish brown than the caramel tan of Saddle Brown. The color just chips off of Apple's leather, especially along edges. Straight up turns black these days instead of patina with oiled shades of the original color.

Can confirm. The cases use a shitty cheap tanning method now that chips or rubs OFF instead of patinas. There's some YouTube tests showing the issue and ways to adjust to it. but I'd suggest just trying a brand like Ryan of London when they release their new cases. Or if you want it now, Andar or Bullstrap have logos on theirs but are pretty.

Excellent post, thank you. I love Ryan of London (bought a macbook case a little ago).

As you said, Apple's cases are terrible.

Oct 27, 2017
I have an iPhone X and thought this year would be a good one to upgrade… before they announced those prices for Europe.
1200 something euros for a 256 gb phone is super expensive enough, but 1450? Yeah fuck that.
So i was thinking of getting either the 13 pro or the regular 14. What would you do in my position, anything i should consider between the two besides 120hz screen and telephoto lens on the pro?

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I have an iPhone X and thought this year would be a good one to upgrade… before they announced those prices for Europe.
1200 something euros for a 256 gb phone is super expensive enough, but 1450? Yeah fuck that.
So i was thinking of getting either the 13 pro or the regular 14. What would you do in my position, anything i should consider between the two besides 120hz screen and telephoto lens on the pro?
I don't see any reason to get the 14 over a 13 Pro

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
Get the 13 Pro, no question. Same processor as the 14, but with a third lens option and ProMotion.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
Apologies if this has already been addressed; watching the event I got the impression the 14 Plus had the best battery life of any iPhone however looking at the compare tool on the Apple website it seems the 14 Pro Max is still better (at least when looking at video playback). Am I misremembering the event, or did I miss the part where the Pro Max battery was discussed?

Yeah, the Plus is rated higher for audio playback. Presumably, the A16 in the ProMax has some additional efficiencies for video playback, while the Plus may last longer a little longer for general use.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
for the airpods 2, they talked specifically about the H2 being higher bandwidth. But nothing about lossless or higher quality audio. Is it still limited to the same lossy codecs as before, as far as we know?

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
for the airpods 2, they talked specifically about the H2 being higher bandwidth. But nothing about lossless or higher quality audio. Is it still limited to the same lossy codecs as before, as far as we know?

No lossless. The promo page talks a lot about better audio quality and adaptive EQ, but lossless is not mentioned and I don't think they plan on supporting it. Could the codec be new though? Maybe. But we probably won't know until review time

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Does the 13 pro get the new cinematic 4k and action cams (and possibly other features) with ios 16, or is that limited to the 14 due to the camera hardware/ISP?

This is a hardware-enabled feature exclusive to 14 Pro. It won't be software updated to the 13 Pro.

There will be no lossless, just "2X" (weird way to put it, Apple) noise cancelling improvements and better audio since there's more points of complexity when tuning the audio, namely a new set of microphones that can hear the internal audio output and dynamically adjust based on what it picks up and being able to measure your ear size for custom audio tuning, as well as some internal hardware upgrades that supply better audio output. I want to say that Apple also described the audio quality as "2X" better as well but again, that's a difficult metric to wrap one's head around.

General show floor impressions indicate that Apple has been successful and there's a noticeable improvement of almost every aspect of the AirPods Pro 2 but I think the show floor may have been too short of a session and honestly kind of bad conditions to really test, so the real verdict is still out until official reviews drop, which will probably be sometime earlier next week.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Kuo says 14 and 14 Plus preorders have been dismal, and worse than 13 and 13 mini. Easy to believe when it's basically the 13 at a higher price and the 14 Pro got all the goods.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Kuo says 14 and 14 Plus preorders have been dismal, and worse than 13 and 13 mini. Easy to believe when it's basically the 13 at a higher price and the 14 Pro got all the goods.

Is this a surprise? Apple themselves said they expect the Pro models to be 85% of the initial preorders.

EDIT: Nevermind, it was Kuo himself who said Apple expected 85% back on September 8th. So how is this a failure if that's what Apple expected, according to Kuo himself? Is he now saying it's lower than 15%? It's all a bit confusing.

9to5mac.com

iPhone 14 sales: Apple expects 85% of early buyers to opt for a Pro

The replacement of the iPhone mini with a Plus model opens up a big question around the likely split of...

Last edited:

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I have the 12 Pro Max and it's serving me just fine, I'll probably just wait for the 15. I want Face ID and a fingerprint scanner also please. Unless Apple announce their version of a flip phone in the next year or so then I'm all in on that. I just can't reconvert to android again I'm too comfortable with iOS.

YuriLowell

Oct 26, 2017
Xfinity Mobiles website is still messed up.
Im gunna stick with the 11 for one more year. I got it at launch but it feels like the only issue is it's battery really, which isn't even thaaat much of a problem.

I want a phone with the newer form factor and the oled screen though ughh… one day.
Yeah I think im gonna do the same. Honestly I just browse twitter and listen to podcasts so its not that big of a deal.

DarkStar00

Mar 13, 2022
Just how much of an improvement in picture quality is the OLED screen when watching movies with the later iPhones in comparison to the XS Max?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Just like there was that stupid year where the 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max had different camera systems, I think this will be the only year where the base phone doesn't get the new chip. There's almost zero reason for someone with a 13 to upgrade, aside from a very iterative camera bump

cjelly

Oct 27, 2017
There is literally zero reason to upgrade from a 13 series. The days of yearly upgrades are long over.

iPhones now are at least 3 year devices and even then it's pushing it.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
There is literally zero reason to upgrade from a 13 series. The days of yearly upgrades are long over.

iPhones now are at least 3 year devices and even then it's pushing it.

to a 14 yes, to a pro, perhaps more case there.

Also there is a case to be made in terms of total cost of ownership - whats the difference per month/year to tradein a newer phone, get the latest and use it for a year then rinse and repeat - vs buy a phone and hold onto it for 3-5 years and sell it for not much and buy new? Factor in always having a fresh phone and I'd bet the difference isn't huge although you are likely to save some by keeping it longer

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I would love the new iPhone. I've always gotten the new iPhone. But there's no way I'm spending more money on it when I'm going through a life change with a home purchase.