ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
The action button on the iPhone 15 Pro was much discussed at launch. A customisable button to replace the mute toggle, with tons of uses available through fun iPhone shortcuts.

I remember a load of guides and how tos around launch, with threads of shortcuts that all fed into one crazy programmed action. Tilt your phone this way and it does x, turn your phone that way and it does y.

When it came down to it, though... I realised that I just wanted a physical mute button, so I kept mine as the mute/unmute function.

How about you? What am I missing out on?

www.theverge.com

The Action Button is the most significant new iPhone feature in years

Programmable hardware buttons rule.

CleanShot+2023-09-29+at+12.14.08%402x.png

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
The flash light.

I'm more annoyed that they've not given us many options for the same button on the AW Ultra (like triggering the camera shutter).

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
I don't even know what you're talking about, that isn't the mute button?

I'd love to disable the lock button when in camera mode and instead have it mean take picture, but haven't looked up if that is possible yet.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
I used to use it for toggling the rotation lock, but the only two apps where I want it to be unlocked are Photos and YouTube, so I just set up a shortcut automation instead. So at the moment, I'm not using the button at all.

Applesauce

Oct 27, 2017
I still use it as silent mode toggle, but wish they'd add a 2nd option with double click. Maybe in a future OS update

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
I still use it as silent mode toggle, but wish they'd add a 2nd option with double click. Maybe in a future OS update

Would love a double click option.

Single click, double click, hold. That would be perfect. I'd use it to open the camera, open the camera in selfie mode, and open the camera in video mode, respectively.

But the next iPhone generation will have a "Capture" button; maybe that one does exactly this.

DECK’ARD

Creator of Worms
Verified
Nov 26, 2017
UK
Literally nothing. I keep forgetting it's even there.

Most people do.

www.techtimes.com

Is Action Button Coming to iPhone 16? New Poll Reveals What Social Media People Say About this Feature

According to the latest poll conducted by MacRumors, most respondents often forget that the Action button exists in the iPhone 15 Pro.

According to feedback from over 7,000 MacRumors readers, opinions on the Action button vary widely. While over half of respondents (50.6%) admit to forgetting about its existence, a significant portion (26.8%) use it occasionally for tasks like accessing the camera or flashlight.

Mini-Me

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing. I'm always on silent and I have too much muscle memory to switch from just tapping the camera icon on the lock screen to bring it up (I don't use the camera enough anyways). Couldn't think of anything else to use it for.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Nothing. Just accidentally turning on the camera because I forget it's there

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
I have it set up to open a little 'control center' of different shortcuts, but i honestly do not ever use it.

what i really want is for the volume and sleep/wake buttons to not be on opposite sides of the device, cause my to take a screenshot every time i grasp the phone. just the worst hardware decision.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
I don't get the point of using it for flashlight or camera, since there's already several shortcuts to those everywhere

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
i legitimately forgot about it until i saw this thread

held it and it looks like i had it bound to camera

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's still my mute switch. I'd like to use it for more, but I need the physical mute function. I wish it had been an additional button instead of a replacement.

hummingW

Nov 19, 2022
Mute / Unmute. I miss the switch to be honest :( I used to be able to feel my phone in my pocket to see if it was on silent or ring. This button has just pushed me to have my phone on silent 99% of time..

Applesauce

Oct 27, 2017
Single click, double click, hold. That would be perfect. I'd use it to open the camera, open the camera in selfie mode, and open the camera in video mode, respectively.

But the next iPhone generation will have a "Capture" button; maybe that one does exactly this.

I just assumed single click was not going to happen because of accidental clicks. Like the other side button is limited to lock / unlock with single clicks.

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
Google Calendar, today's schedule

I check 9 calendars probably 20-30 times a day, so this was the logical choice.

Oct 27, 2017
I have it tied to a shortcut which mutes/unmutes the phone if the device is in portrait mode, and opens the camera if it's in landscape mode.

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California
Do you guys know about the Back Tap option in Accessibility? You can define both a double tap and a triple tap to do plenty of things. Same goes for the side button (not the action button).

I have mine set to switch the screen to black and white on double tap, as a way to occasionally discourage myself from using the phone too much (it's difficult and boring in black and white).

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Man, I was thinking of this exact thread idea yesterday 😂 I just use it as a silent/ringer toggle like usual. I haven't done anything fancy with it. Same with Dynamic Island stuff. It's neat seeing stuff pop up there like from Starbucks, or audio call stuff, but it hasn't been wildly transformative.