• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
For US politics and election threads

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Hold on to your butts.

View: https://x.com/CNN/status/1776354981639024983

Washington, CNNThe US is on high alert and actively preparing for a "significant" attack within the next week by Iran in response to Monday's Israeli strike in Damascus that killed top Iranian commanders, a senior administration official tells CNN.

Senior US officials currently believe that an attack by Iran is "inevitable" – a view shared by their Israeli counterparts, that official said. The two governments are furiously working to get in position ahead of what is to come, as they anticipate that Iran's attack could unfold in a number of different ways – and that both US and Israeli assets and personnel are at risk of being targeted.

A forthcoming Iranian attack was a major topic of discussion on President Joe Biden's phone call with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Thursday.

As of Friday, the two governments did not know when or how Iran planned to strike back, the official said.

A direct strike on Israel by Iran is one of the worst-case scenarios that the Biden administration is bracing for, as it would guarantee rapid escalation of an already tumultuous situation in the Middle East. Such a strike could lead to the Israel-Hamas war broadening into a wider, regional conflict – something Biden has long sought to avoid.

Iran vowed to take revenge after Israel's airstrike on Iran's embassy complex in Syria, which killed at least seven officials. Mohammed Reza Zahedi, a top commander in Iran's elite Revolutionary Guards (IRGC), and senior commander Mohammad Hadi Haji Rahimi were among those killed, according to Iran's Foreign Ministry.

The US was quick to inform Iran that the Biden administration was not involved and had no advance knowledge of Monday's strike on the embassy and has warned Iran against coming after American assets.

Last edited:

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The US and Iran had tit for tat bombings a month or two back which seemed to lead to a status quo of neither side attacking directly. That is encouraging that the two sides had been letting reason and restraint prevail. I can't imagine that a new attack that kills Americans would go without a response, so it could certainly escalate pretty significantly.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
It feels like whenever the conflict is about to cool off, one party is like "No wait, keep the flames stoked, we're getting rich off of this".

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
What was the reason for Israel bombing Iran?

Zahedi has been a target for many years due to his high rank in the Quds Force, Iran's "unconventional warfare" branch that's closely affiliated with militant proxy groups in the Middle East.

www.aljazeera.com

Who was Mohammad Reza Zahedi, an Iranian general killed by Israel in Syria?

Zahedi was the highest ranking commander to be killed since Major General Qassem Soleimani died in 2020 US drone strike.

May 21, 2018
A direct strike on Israel by Iran is one of the worst-case scenarios that the Biden administration is bracing for, as it would guarantee rapid escalation of an already tumultuous situation in the Middle East. Such a strike could lead to the Israel-Hamas war broadening into a wider, regional conflict – something Biden has long sought to avoid.

It's a bit too late to wring your hands about escalation when you've done very little to stop it in the first place.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
What was the reason for Israel bombing Iran?
The guy they targeted is basically the one who pulls the strings behind their puppets in syria and lebanon ever since soleimani was killed. Hitting a embassy to kill him is its own set of issues but i reckon this guy has been pretty high on US and israeli kill lists.

Pheonix Will

Sep 6, 2021
Zahedi has been a target for many years due to his high rank in the Quds Force, Iran's "unconventional warfare" branch that's closely affiliated with militant proxy groups in the Middle East.

www.aljazeera.com

Who was Mohammad Reza Zahedi, an Iranian general killed by Israel in Syria?

Zahedi was the highest ranking commander to be killed since Major General Qassem Soleimani died in 2020 US drone strike.

Yeah. Saw their chance and took it.

The region may well now pay the price for that.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Yesterday American officials were saying Iranian officials were telling them that the threats to retaliate were just to save face and they had no intention of doing so.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday American officials were saying Iranian officials were telling them that the threats to retaliate were just to save face and they had no intention of doing so.

And if they do anything, it will be a big show like 2021. Iran will tell Iraq who will the US who will Israel.

Could I see an article on that though?

RUFF BEEST

Jun 10, 2022
Toronto, ON
Biden should gesture at Israel bombing Iranian assets when underlining the statement that Netanyahu is "an obstacle to peace." There is no good reason why we should be at this point.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
will point out that iran has been training/supllying wepons to hezbla for ever. this conflict only happened becouse of iran.

May 21, 2018
Fingers crossed

Crazy if Iran is coordinating better with the US to avoid a cataclysmic regional war than Israel

If it's true about what Iran said, then it's crazy that the terrorism-sponsoring, theocratic dictatorship is better at being the adult in the room than the nation that's supposedly a bastion of western values in the middle east.

But then again barely-checked imperialism is a western value, so maybe this really shouldn't be a surprise.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
There should have been more condemnations of Israel bombing an embassy. AFAIK Norway was one of the few with a strong statement against it

Fingers crossed

Crazy if Iran is coordinating better with the US to avoid a cataclysmic regional war than Israel

Israel wants regional war and they want to drag the US into it, it keeps netanyahu in power.

Also, this sounds similar to when Iran striked Pakistan earlier this year and they had a "face saving" tit for tat

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
The general lack of official condemnation for just Willy nilly hitting a foreign embassy abroad just further undermines the west's claim at global leadership and moral fortitude. Hard to take them seriously when they wring their hands about other actor's actions…

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The general lack of official condemnation for just Willy nilly hitting a foreign embassy abroad just further undermines the west's claim at global leadership and moral fortitude. Hard to take them seriously when they wring their hands about other actor's actions…
This post is not to excuse or justify what Israel did, which was brazenly escalatory, but from what I've read the building hit was between two embassies, but was not itself an embassy.

View: https://twitter.com/ronmarz/status/1666235187557023746

Proxy

Oct 27, 2017
Israel once again violated international law and norms by attacking an embassy. Perhaps the imperialists should try reining in their genocidal client state.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
How significant is significant? Carpet bombing Tel Aviv or a few drones hitting Israeli military bases? What exactly is the expectation here?

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
How significant is significant? Carpet bombing Tel Aviv or a few drones hitting Israeli military bases? What exactly is the expectation here?
The Iranians have limited options here. They can't really risk open war with israel and i doubt hezbollah is willing to risk giving israel a reason to launch a invasion into lebanon so you'll probably looking at iranian proxies lobbing small rockets and drones at israel from syria

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
It's wild to see this happening in real time, what will be THE final straw to try and stop Israel? I'm scared to think

Honestly living in global south I'm just convinced there's no "good guy" in this world and I'll never trust a super power

Whales

Oct 25, 2017
a big proof of the cost paid by america every single time israel does something out of line

whos going to be paying for israel being a reckless bully again? americans

who needs enemies when you got ''allies'' like this

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
This post is not to excuse or justify what Israel did, which was brazenly escalatory, but from what I've read the building hit was between two embassies, but was not itself an embassy.

Not exactly. Countries only ever have one embassy (which was the building next door). They struck the Iranian consulate next door, which is technically not an embassy but very similar to one.

A country can open only one embassy in a foreign nation (almost always in the capital). Consulates are secondary offices that also provide some of those services, usually in other cities. It's weird that the consulate building is right next to the embassy, instead of just expanding the embassy.

I've actually never heard of them being right next to each other. Consulates are often defined as providing extended embassy services away from the capital (through I guess this example shows that's not actually necessary). Otherwise they're similar, except consulates perform more limited operations.

For example, both receive the protection of inviolability (against being entered or searched) and to an extent diplomatic immunity (though broader for an embassy since an ambassador is an overtly political position, consulates mostly perform lower level duties). Contrary to popular belief, neither are considered foreign territory.

Last edited:

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not exactly. Countries only ever have one embassy (which was the building next door). They struck the Iranian consulate next door, which is technically not an embassy but very similar to one.

A country can open only one embassy in a foreign nation (almost always in the capital). Consulates are secondary offices that also provide some of those services, usually in other cities. I's weird that the consulate building is right next to the embassy, instead of just expanding the embassy.

I've actually never heard of them being right next to each other. Consulates are often defined as providing extended embassy services away from the capital (through I guess this example shows that's not actually necessary). Otherwise they're similar, except consulates perform more limited operations.

For example, both receive the protection of inviolability (against being entered or searched) and to an extent diplomatic immunity (though this is broader for an embassy since it's overly political, consulates mostly perform lower level duties). Contrary to popular belief, neither are considered foreign territory.
Thanks!
I didn't realize the building hit was a consulate. That's definitely not OK.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
true, but if they want to foght, isril, and the us, get to fight back. they cant claim they werent involve to start with since they are/were sending hamas wepons, training them, and sharing intelagance with them.

There is so much wrong with this, it's hard to even break down.

We get to arm the IDF, provide them with an Iron Dome, provide them with intelligence and nobody gets to do the same with Hamas without retaliation from Israel? What is it? Is Hamas a government that has control over it's borders that you can sanction and punish through warfare or are they not? Would you argue if Russia attacked Britain that Russia didn't attack first, because the Brits are helping out Ukraine? I would hope not because that is an absolutely absurd take to have.

Saying this should give credence to the US invading is just pure American exceptionalism isn't it? Israel attacked Iran, not Iran attacking the US. Why are they not allowed to defend themselves after a direct attack? Why Israel allowed to attack foreign entities with impunity?

Israel "isn't fighting back" in this scenario, Iran would be. Because Israel attacked them first, plain and simple.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is so much wrong with this, it's hard to even break down.

We get to arm the IDF, provide them with an Iron Dome, provide them with intelligence and nobody gets to do the same with Hamas without retaliation from Israel? What is it? Is Hamas a government that has control over it's borders that you can sanction and punish through warfare or are they not? Would you argue if Russia attacked Britain that Russia didn't attack first, because the Brits are helping out Ukraine? I would hope not because that is an absolutely absurd take to have.

Saying this should give credence to the US invading is just pure American exceptionalism isn't it? Israel attacked Iran, not Iran attacking the US. Why are they not allowed to defend themselves after a direct attack? Why Israel allowed to attack foreign entities with impunity?

Israel "isn't fighting back" in this scenario, Iran would be. Because Israel attacked them first, plain and simple.
but as a pratical matter, the US is involved by giving isreal wepons, the huthes, another iran backed group btw, has been firing anti ship missiles

Tounsi_Tag

Oct 29, 2017

A country can open only one embassy in a foreign nation (almost always in the capital). Consulates are secondary offices that also provide some of those services, usually in other cities. It's weird that the consulate building is right next to the embassy, instead of just expanding the embassy.

For example, both receive the protection of inviolability (against being entered or searched) and to an extent diplomatic immunity (though broader for an embassy since an ambassador is an overtly political position, consulates mostly perform lower level duties). Contrary to popular belief, neither are considered foreign territory.
In many cases Consulates are attached to embassies for the purpose of performing the basic administrative services that you have mentioned ( for nationals mostly, meanwhile foreigners applying for a visa would go to the embassy). When I had to renew my passport, I had to go to my country's consulate " entity" right next to the embassy, just because our embassy itself did not perform administrative and logistical tasks but was relegated to official political and diplomatic representation. It's a small nuance that confused me at first too.

Hezbollah likely isn't worried about Lebanon being invaded again since the last time Israel did it, it was a massive failure right after decades of failure occupying South Lebanon. There's a reason the IDF is still hesitant to launch an offensive inside Lebanon.
I'd say yes and no. The 2006 war according to many analysts is compared to the 73 war, in the sense that Israel won tactically, but " lost " psychologically, which was instrumentalized by Hezbollah . The fact that Hezbollah remained and even grew in strength was always going to be positioned as a win against the prowess of Israel that was challenged, despite the disproportionate losses in civilian lives and infrastructure.
The more direct reasons are that Hezbollah now is actually positioned well within the Lebanese state, and have transformed themselves into a key political actor since 2008, as opposed to being a paramilitary group acting outside of the state ( even if it still is in direct opposition from many actors in Lebanon).
Additionally the country cannot sustain another war. It is going through one of the toughest economic crises in the world as stated by the World Bank, and is effectively isolated from the Arab sphere. Back in 2006 there was a much stronger solidarity circle around Lebanon and post war efforts to rebuild it. Due to shifting geopolitical realities and the Hezbollah and Syrian-regime affiliations, Lebanon is in a very different state than in 2006 and Hezbollah is very aware of this.

Last edited:

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
The Iranians have limited options here. They can't really risk open war with israel and i doubt hezbollah is willing to risk giving israel a reason to launch a invasion into lebanon so you'll probably looking at iranian proxies lobbing small rockets and drones at israel from syria

Hezbollah likely isn't worried about Lebanon being invaded again since the last time Israel did it, it was a massive failure right after decades of failure occupying South Lebanon. There's a reason the IDF is still hesitant to launch an offensive inside Lebanon.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
In many cases Consulates are attached to embassies for the purpose of performing the basic administrative services that you have mentioned ( for nationals mostly, meanwhile foreigners applying for a visa would go to the embassy). When I had to renew my passport, I had to go to my country's consulate " entity" right next to the embassy, just because our embassy itself did not perform administrative and logistical tasks but was relegated to official political and diplomatic representation. It's a small nuance that confused me at first too.

Interesting, I didn't know it was somewhat common.

But I'm pretty biased because (as you said) for non-nationals applying for a visa, it's done at the embassy when you're in the capital (but consulates elsewhere).

It makes sense as a secondary office focused on other kinds of administrative tasks aimed at nationals, though.

Tounsi_Tag

Oct 29, 2017
Interesting, I didn't know it was somewhat common.

But I'm pretty biased because (as you said) for non-nationals applying for a visa, it's done at the embassy when you're in the capital (but consulates elsewhere).

It makes sense as a secondary office focused on other kinds of administrative tasks aimed at nationals, though.
Yes, visas would mostly be at an embassy, another country's embassy ( for example some Scandinavian countries' embassies treat visa requests for neighboring countries not represented on the territory) or a third-party service for processing.
Meanwhile mundane tasks such as renewal of IDs and certification of documents would be relegated to a consultae, in many cases treated as just the service wing of the diplomatic representation.
But despite these categorizations, and as you mentioned, foreign representation does not grant external jurisdiction. And despite the nuance between an embassy and a consulate, Israel was deliberately targeting a foreign entity's extension in another territory.