• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
comicbook.com

Iron Fist Stunt Coordinator Alludes to Finn Jones Not Wanting to Train

Nearly three years after Iron Fist was the first of five Marvel shows cancelled by Netflix, the [...]

"You would be surprised. I got slammed by a lot of people after that came out, they had no idea," Chan said on the podcast. "Johnny and myself were doing 21-22 hour days trying to make things working and having Marvel say 'Eh, no.'"

He added, "Everyone's fighting and the actor doesn't want to train and...'Guys, throw me a bone. Give me something to work with here.' That's probably why the best sequences were with Jessica Henwick because she trained four hours a day and she had zero martial arts experience."
Tea is pipping hot.

did Netflix or Disney call the shots on these production. Because if it was netflix it is interesting to compare them to full marvel control

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jessica Henwick fucking killed it. I was so glad when she got the Iron Fist.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
When I saw that Ward fucking Meachum had more muscle definition than Iron Fist, I always knew that Finn Jones didn't do shit for the role.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
When I saw that Ward fucking Meachum had more muscle definition than Iron Fist, I always knew that Finn Jones didn't do shit for the role.
He always seemed so awkward and checked out in the role. I think he was trying to do spacey hippy

Corncob

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Imagine doing racial appropriation, getting an acting job over an Asian person because you're white and pretty, and then being lazy as fuck and half-arsing the job.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
So damn obvious, can't believe I got pushback on that opinion in the OT thread. Whole project was a waste of time, money and resources. Scott Buck man...

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I thought this was known, that Finn Jones was...maybe "diva" is too strong of a word but at least hard to work with?

Between that and some of Colter's spicier takes I'm honestly fully on board with recasting both. Just go completely clean slate with Heroes for Hire, fuck it.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was known, that Finn Jones was...maybe "diva" is too strong of a word but at least hard to work with?

Between that and some of Colter's spicier takes I'm honestly fully on board with recasting both. Just go completely clean slate with Heroes for Hire, fuck it.
I didn't know Colter was so ashy, it broke my heart.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017

What did he say now ?

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Ah the old Buffy the Vampire Slayer deal. Actors used to be able to be so lazy and stunt doubles would do literally everything more strenuous than maybe some light jogging.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
In the article right after that quote Finn is saying they worked 14+ hour days 6 days a week and he didn't have time to train, i think that's probably worth mentioning in the OP.

I'm not familiar with TV shows and movies though so maybe i'm missing something. Why wouldn't they schedule training/lifting into his day?

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
In the article right after that quote Finn is saying they worked 14+ hour days 6 days a week and he didn't have time to train, i think that's probably worth mentioning in the OP.

I'm not familiar with TV shows and movies though so maybe i'm missing something. Why wouldn't they schedule training/lifting into his day?
Wait, where did Jessica find the 4 hours per day he is talking about ?

Yep, MCU needs Daredevil and Jessica Jones, the rest can be recast for sure
Jon Bernthal was the best Punisher we had for ages.

ChubbyHuggs

Oct 27, 2017
Same article, sooooo which one is lying?
Finn Jones: "It was very intense, to begin with," he added. "When I first moved over to New York, before I started actually filming, I had three weeks of very intense martial arts and weight training preparation. But then unfortunately once the show started, the filming schedule was just so tight – I was working 14 hours every day, six days a week, days into nights, nights into days – and actually my schedule didn't allow me to continue the training as much as I really hoped."

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Yea it was clear there was a problem with Iron Fist and the martial arts training. But the word at the time was that they didnt start training until like the day before filming.

This was always going to be an issue though when sharing properties. Netflix doesnt want to spend too much on a show that they dont completely own, and it ends up being crap.

gholas

Nov 13, 2020
Imagine doing racial appropriation, getting an acting job over an Asian person because you're white and pretty, and then being lazy as fuck and half-arsing the job.

This comment confuses me. Isn't he white in the comic? Seems like most of what you're complaining about is inherent to the source material. On topic: man that show sucked.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Jeph Loeb was xenophobic against East Asian culture so that definitely had a part to play with the poor casting choice with Finn Jones.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they bring back Jessica Henwick or even give her a major role for some other major hero. She's seriously so much more charismatic in that whole show lol. I'm so pissed that by the time she actually got the fist powers, show got cancelled.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe hold your horses before raking Finn over?

rvcTAcv.jpeg

Special Puppy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 12, 2020
Man Marvel Television went down hill quick after Daredevil's first season.

Oct 25, 2017

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
did Netflix or Disney call the shots on these production. Because if it was netflix it is interesting to compare them to full marvel control

Jeph Loeb had creative control of Marvel Television so…

I'm expecting great things with the fight scenes of Shang Chi with the late Brad Allan in charge of fight choreography.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
I'd guess the Colter thing is in reference to what happened to Ariana Grande at Aretha Franklin's funeral. Pastor inappropriately grabbed her breast after wrapping his arm around her. Colter tweeted something like "this is how you shoot your shot", jokingly supporting the pastor.

The Hobo

Oct 27, 2017
Ariana Grande was groped by a pastor at an event and Colter made light of it and applauded the pastor for doing it.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I heard the same from people years ago. 100% accurate. He did the bare minimum.

The Hobo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why they didn't give Danny a mask so they could use a stuntman in his place.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I had to go and look at the fight scenes and y'all weren't wrong. Also this show seems to have no resemblance to the few Power Man & Iron Fist comics I remember finding as a kid. Feels very CW.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
The fight against the drunken boxer pretty much shows who gives a shit while doing a fight scene.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I'd guess the Colter thing is in reference to what happened to Ariana Grande at Aretha Franklin's funeral. Pastor inappropriately grabbed her breast after wrapping his arm around her. Colter tweeted something like "this is how you shoot your shot", jokingly supporting the pastor.
clzaZ.gif

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

either you are confusing Iron Fist with Shang-Chi, or you think the Marvel Comic originally was racial appropriation, either way, that's a weird jab to take at Finn

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
I think I watched only the first season of that (average) show, and what I remembered the most about it was how good the main actress (Jessica Henwick) was at martial arts compared to the main actor, when we could see their face obviously.

I even remember one line because of this. It was him saying "you are very good" at her (about her martial skills) when she was obviously so much better than him at this, while it was supposed to be the contrary according to the script. I even thought she was already a martial artist (before doing that show).

That doesn't mean he was lazy and didn't want to train, maybe he really didn't have enough time.