Relic

Oct 28, 2017
The Jeff Gerstmann Show 043: With Special Guest Dave Lang!

www.twitch.tv

The Jeff Gerstmann Show 043 LIVE! - jeffgerstmann on Twitch

jeffgerstmann went live on Twitch. Catch up on their Talk Shows & Podcasts VOD now.

www.youtube.com

The Jeff Gerstmann Show 043: With Special Guest Dave Lang!

Annual Memberships Are Now Available: http://patreon.com/jeffgerstmannDave Lang of Iron Galaxy Studios joins us to discuss the shutdown of Rumbleverse, the d...

Starting at 39:45 (Twitch), Jeff and Lang go into Rumbleverse. I don't have direct quotes, but here's my sense:

- priorities were, in order: (1) make sure the team is OK (no layoffs) (2) make sure players are OK (refunds) (3) see if the game can come back and if so, in what form.
- Iron Galaxy owns 100% of the IP and 100% of the game. Epic was cool with that stuff.
- game relies heavily on Epic backends/systems for "a lot of functions". Moving would require moving, for example, the f2p setup. Not a 1 day job on a new storefront.
- Wish they had more time to take it offline
- Epic was very cool once "the decision" was made to take the game offline. Epic allowed player refunds.
- intentionally does not specify who was footing the server bill (Iron Galaxy or Epic)
- time from takedown (Feb 28) to now has been focused on postmortem (my words) on what people who worked on the game thought went wrong. Now work is starting on how to bring the game back in some form.
- for a live game like Rumbleverse, you're spending money every day it's online. That money has to come from somewhere.
- "this space" (BRs?) is fiercely competitive. some winners and many not winners.

History reminder (based on my memory):

- Beta July-ish 2022
- Full release August 2022
- Takedown announced Jan-Feb 2023
- Dev streams last 2 weeks of the game. Devs got very emotional talking about the takedown and how much players loved the game.
- Last day Feb 28 2023
- Survey sent to fans who pre-registered on the Rumbleverse site March 2023
- Dave Lang (CPO of Iron Galaxy, makers of Rumbleverse) appears on The Jeff Gerstmann Show 3/28/2023

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
its a good game, it just needs retooling or refocusing a bit

maybe expand it past the battle royale formula, smaller multiplayer modes, maybe even single player stuff

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
It was a fun game with a really great combat system imo. Shame it never found its audience. Hope to see it come back or be used in future projects as a lesson.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Would love to see it come back in some capacity. The BR space is fiercely competitive, and I feel like some improvements could've helped it stand out even more and become more appealing.

OP
OP
Relic

Relic

Oct 28, 2017
I told them in their survey to bring it back somehow. Even a 4 player local game could be a good way to let the mechanics flourish. A Gang Beasts alternative. And if that gets an audience, bring back the larger BR.

Garble Slew

Oct 27, 2017
Atlanta, Georgia
I wish them the best of luck in reviving it. It hooked me harder than a game has in a long time and I'd be over the moon if I could head back to Grapital City.

bloodyroarx

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
It was a neat concept and I'm glad IG owns it all but the rock paper scissors style never worked for me. Hopefully they can find a way to get it back in players hands one way or another