Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
The problem was the announcement trailer made it look exactly like an on-rails shooter for anyone who's familiar with the genre. They just needed a shot of the actor sticking the Move controllers down by his sides to demonstrate the free-flight mechanics.

Bigmac

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
I've got PSVR and this sounds amazing from early impressions. I'm not sure I'm willing to buy move controllers though, I've always despised those things. Hoping Sony comes out with some updated Move tech soon, I'd rather something new and improved than rely on 2010 tech.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
The problem was the announcement trailer made it look exactly like an on-rails shooter for anyone who's familiar with the genre. They just needed a shot of the actor sticking the Move controllers down by his sides to demonstrate the free-flight mechanics.
Actually, they did have a particular shot of the actor doing that. They showed him pressing the trigger behind the move controller for something but then the trailer cuts back into CGI which doesn't exactly show what he did in the actual game. But they've said that you aim your arm down like the actor in the trailer was doing to move forward while pressing the trigger button. Overall, the trailer just wasn't done very well.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
Nah, it's because the trailer was really bad. It consisted of a fairly dull cutscene, then showed a few seconds of gameplay that didn't look anywhere near as good as the gifs in this thread. Usually publishers want to show off the best parts of their game when doing a reveal trailer, and that first glimpse of the game certainly didn't instil confidence. I don't know what they were thinking, leading with that.

Either way, I'm happy that it looks like it's going to be a hit.
VR trailers are REALLY hard to do right.

Whats even harder is trailers for VR games where you're flying/floating and you cant get away with mixed reality footage.

Surprise surprise. Reveal cemented my beliefs that this would be a low-quality on-rails gallery shooter.
Did you misread the OP or something lol

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
So excited but REALLY wish Sony would release a better controller/tracking option, even one that won't be fully realized until PS5 /VR2. I can't stand the move controllers and they track so poorly for me.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
The flying looks amazing. I'll get it just for that. Hopefully there's some kind of free flight mode.. Yeah that State of Play trailer made it look like a 5 minute VR experience thing like Spiderman was.

Zero-ELEC

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
So assume the worst despite all the praise from those that have actually had a chance play it. That's one take.
wait, but the praise isn't about the customisation, as that wasn't part of the demo.

Yeah, they assume the worst about that aspect but the praise isn't a counter to their assumptions

Another Question:
Does Iron Man get mechanically distinct weaponry?

Answer in the OP:
Though I didn't get a chance to try it, the final version of the game is said to allow players to customize Iron Man's suit and upgrade its abilities in Tony Stark's garage.
That's... not an answer to their question. They asked for mechanical differences, which that one brief line in a preview does not imply.

Like, it's 100% fair to say their asking for more details is premature, given the game was just revealed and had a single 30 min demo and impressions based on that, but like the things they're questioning aren't answered there.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Actually sounds really cool to fly with your repulsors.

Wish this wasn't PSVR exclusive because I'm not buying another headset for a couple exclusives on my OG PS4, especially since this still seems more like a novelty I'd want to try out than a must-have, even if it's more of a full game than a shooting gallery or an "experience".

Namikaze

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, wasn't expecting this at all. I have no idea why I was thinking about selling my PSVR, this seems pretty promising and there are plenty of other announced/released titles that I haven't even given a chance.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I guess. With game like this being received as well as they are, +Astro Bot, Beat Saber, Tetris Effect, No Man's Sky, etc. It's difficult for people like that to keep repeating the same VR is dead template.

you let a VR-detractor try out Astro-Bot and Wipeout VR for like 30minutes and they will be turned into a true-believers.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Reveal looked like such a throw away on-rails "experience". These previews sound great though. I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I guess. With game like this being received as well as they are, +Astro Bot, Beat Saber, Tetris Effect, No Man's Sky, etc. It's difficult for people like that to keep repeating the same VR is dead template.

The 'VR is dead' people are having a hard time keeping the band together amidst all these great games. "Move along folks, there's nothing to see here!"

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
you let a VR-detractor try out Astro-Bot and Wipeout VR for like 30minutes and they will be turned into a true-believers.

Astro Bot..... What a beautiful beautiful game. Joking aside it was my game of the year. I can't believe hearing myself saying that after playing God of War. With Astro Bot there just a sense of pure joy from start to finish. But back on topic.... I honestly thought Iron Man would be another tech demo VR thing. I love this quote from the developer.

"We're not making a rail-shooter. We're not making an amusement park game. We're not making a short demo or an experimental Iron Man 'experience,'" game developer Ryan Payton told me last week in New York City after I had finished a demo of his studio's forthcoming game, Iron Man VR.

That really shows some commitment to create something special.

"He's especially inspired by Resident Evil 7's VR mode, which he describes as the best game he's played in years and refers to as "life-changing."

He's mind is in the right place. :)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/kotaku...n-vr-makes-a-surprisingly-good-1833732919/amp

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
It's always good to see VR games taking advantage of inputs to introduce new mechanics.

I bet it feels great, but still skeptical that it will be a meaty game.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I guess the cement wasn't dry yet lol.

Game looks great. Fantastic week for VR, things are really chugging along.

Good one, lol.

I've never heard "surprise surprise" used not sarcastically lol

Self targeted sarcasm.

wait, but the praise isn't about the customisation, as that wasn't part of the demo.

Yeah, they assume the worst about that aspect but the praise isn't a counter to their assumptions

That's... not an answer to their question. They asked for mechanical differences, which that one brief line in a preview does not imply.

Like, it's 100% fair to say their asking for more details is premature, given the game was just revealed and had a single 30 min demo and impressions based on that, but like the things they're questioning aren't answered there.

I'll reply to you properly later today.

Osiris397

Oct 28, 2017
The blued looks like a feakin Hologram floating in 3D space and that sold me, but I'll have to see if it's just better to play with the yellow/orange HUD wich is a lot more subtle.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Polygon: Iron Man VR makes flying as Tony Stark feel great
If you're making a Spider-Man game, you have to nail the swinging. The fantasy of gliding through New York, thwipping from skyscraper to skyscraper, is essential.

Likewise, if you're making an Iron Man game, you have to perfect how it would feel to fly around in that iconic metal suit with total freedom. Developer Camouflaj's new virtual reality game based on the Marvel superhero pulls it off. Using a pair of PlayStation Move controllers, Marvel's Iron Man VR made me feel like Tony Stark learning how to fly in his garage workshop, lifting and steering myself with Iron Man's hand-mounted jets.

I moved my arms down, palms facing the floor, to float. I angled my arms behind me to thrust myself forward, then put my palms straight out in front of me to brake. It all worked just as I'd imagined.

Later, as part of a roughly 20-minute demo with the PlayStation VR game, I enjoyed controlling myself, as Iron Man, in free flight as I flew alongside a burning Stark airplane, trying to protect Pepper Potts from a swarm of rogue Stark drones. Shooting them down was slightly less satisfying — I often confused my left and right hands while aiming, a problem Tony Stark probably doesn't have — but still got the job done.
Payton said that part of Iron Man VR's story will explore Tony Stark as "his own worst enemy." He'll also face off against Marvel supervillain Ghost, the person behind the hacked Stark drones that go after Stark and Potts.

"One of the things we want to do early on was to have a really interesting and deep and complex villain to face off against Tony," Payton said. "So, with Marvel's help, we decided to use Ghost...
Camouflaj, which has grown from a small team that developed République to more than 60 for Iron Man VR, has been working on the game in secret for years.

While the demo was limited to a tutorial, interactive cutscenes, and a lengthy set-piece level, Payton said Marvel's Iron Man VR will be, in terms of content, "a real big VR game."

"It's not gonna be as long as you're standard flatscreen [game]," Payton said. "We're building the game to be substantial. We don't know exactly how long the campaign is, but it's got a good mixture of big, epic set pieces."
https://www.polygon.com/2019/4/3/18292074/iron-man-vr-game-ps4-psvr

Last edited:

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Interesting Upload VR article about the 360 degree gameplay with PSVR.
https://uploadvr.com/iron-man-vr-uses-prediction-and-black-magic-for-360-tracking-on-psvr/

We have some absolute wizards working at Camouflaj and our development partners at Dark Wind in New York," Payton said. "They weren't intimidated by the challenge of having only the single PlayStation VR camera. We designed the game so players can move around 360, uninhibited, and not have to worry about where they're looking and whether they're facing the camera. There's a bunch of tricks underneath the hood, a dozen or so unique things we're doing that are predictive, that use the gyroscope in the Move controllers.

Oct 27, 2017
It should be noted that if a vr game looks good fun in a trailer on a flat display, it will be elevated tenfold with a headset.
Proof: Astrobot looked like a basic platformer in previews and still looks unimpressive on a flat display.

Until you have the headset on, you can never truly gauge how good an excellent vr game is, even if you have played all the little tech demos. Until more folks have headsets that let them experience high quality vr trailers, the marketing of new vr titles is going to go through lots of growing pains.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
I've got PSVR and this sounds amazing from early impressions. I'm not sure I'm willing to buy move controllers though, I've always despised those things. Hoping Sony comes out with some updated Move tech soon, I'd rather something new and improved than rely on 2010 tech.
A PSVR without moves just sounds terrible, they aren't going to come out with new controllers. That is too much of a cost for a niche product that only has a few years left anyways. PSVR is basically a Frankenstein VR solution with its tracking tech coming from the PS3 era

Bigmac

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
w controllers. That is too much of a cost for a niche product that only has a few years left anyways. PSVR is basically a Frankenstein VR solution with its tracking tech com

I got plenty out of it with Ace Combat, Astrobot, Moss, Rez and Tetris Effect without the move controllers, and those are, in my opinion, far and away the best games on the hardware. I have a Vive so after using the move wands at a friend's place it was immediately apparent how bad the tech is. VR's not dead quite yet as you assume, especially with Valve teasing their new headset. I wouldn't definitively say they're not going to come out with new, updated controllers down the line.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I got plenty out of it with Ace Combat, Astrobot, Moss, Rez and Tetris Effect without the move controllers, and those are, in my opinion, far and away the best games on the hardware. I have a Vive so after using the move wands at a friend's place it was immediately apparent how bad the tech is. VR's not dead quite yet as you assume, especially with Valve teasing their new headset. I wouldn't definitively say they're not going to come out with new, updated controllers down the line.
I'm pretty sure they just mean that with PS5 coming out in the next few years, and probably a version of PSVR for that, that this version of PSVR only has a few years left (not VR in general) and they'll hopefully have better VR controllers for the next one.

And I agree with them, move controllers (though sucky) are a small investment to make your time with PSVR better. Especially with this and Blood and Truth on the horizon.