• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
In the comics, he's seen as peak human, but if you put everything together, it's kinda nuts. Yes, I know it's still "comics".

But look at these feats:

• Leg press 2500lbs for reps. World record is 3000 for one rep.
  • Benches 1000lbs for reps! I think the World Record is 1400 for one rep.
  • He barely sleeps, on purpose. And still is able to handle his superhero duties. Most people need 7-9 hours of sleep per night. Cognitive function is compromised if sleep deprived for a few days in most people.
  • Master level of dozens of martial arts.
  • Parkour expert, gymnast, ninja arts
  • Intellect wise, he's just shy of Lex Luthor, and a genius in various fields basically.

Not to mention all the wear and tear he's taken. Should be in a wheelchair. But nah.

So what makes him superhuman is really the mastery of all these. In reality most people cannot be so well rounded since many of these feats require years of specialization. But Batman clears these with ease.

Amanda Waller sees him as meta human as well.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Comics

I mean look at Captain America.
Yeah, Captain America is way more powerful. Dude can run 60MPH for hours I think. Plus he's enhanced cognitively. Kinda like cyclops he can calculate angles with ease and hit his Shield off ricochets and such.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I assume he's on as much juice as Bane
Nah, he kicked the habit
81K4h0V3wYL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
He's about the peak of what a human can be. Captain America IS superhuman though thanks to the super soldier serum making him never be able to get tired and whatnot.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, his power is the writers make sure he is automatically cool and powerful and will win any situation

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
bats are known for most of those things so it makes sense that someone called Batman would do them as well

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
He's been in the public eye since the 30s and doesn't look a day over 35. He's a vampire. Don't trust him.

ShadBy

Oct 8, 2023
Since he's about to be "depowered" in Absolute Power, yeah, there's smoke that he has low level superstrength (likely due to long term exposure to magic and sci-fi shit) at least and hasn't even realized it

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
He's about the peak of what a human can be. Captain America IS superhuman though thanks to the super soldier serum making him never be able to get tired and whatnot.
The issue with Bruce he that he's peak at everything. Hence, the superhuman thing.

He's basically a master power lifter and parkour expert. And that's just two disciplines. He's peak in many many more and intellectual ones too. Things that take decades of specialization.

Dick Grayson is a more believable. He's just not as skilled and peak in as many things as Bruce is.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He's absolutely on the best drugs money can buy. Speed, HGH, gear, whatever the fuck else they can think of.

gyrspike

Jan 18, 2018
The issue with Bruce he that he's peak at everything. Hence, the superhuman thing.

He's basically a master power lifter and parkour expert. And that's just two disciplines. He's peak in many many more and intellectual ones too. Things that take decades of specialization.

Dick Grayson is a more believable. He's just not as skilled and peak in as many things as Bruce is.
Not to mention if you had the build of an Olympic power lifter, I doubt you would have the right body type and flexibility to also be a master martial artist and master of parkour.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Not to mention if you had the build of an Olympic power lifter, I doubt you would have the right body type and flexibility to also be a master martial artist and master of parkour.
Right.

Same intellectually as well. He's a literal master in a variety of intellectual disciplines while sleeping 3 hours a day.

ShadBy

Oct 8, 2023
The current arc has gone over how Bruce (and the Joker) were trained by the same guy to have complete mastery of their minds to the point where they can create back up/alternate personalities (explaining Zur En Arrh) so that can go some way in explaining his "superhuman" traits

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
I just assumed he consumed a lot of steroids and that his body was going to crap out on him down the line in a spectacular manner.

zaxil456

Aug 4, 2020
I feel like with all these human superheroes you're just supposed to assume that they're literally training 24/7 whenever they're not on screen.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Some writers like Grant Morrison batwank so hard you could be forgiven for thinking he is.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like with all these human superheroes you're just supposed to assume that they're literally training 24/7 whenever they're not on screen.
If they're training like that, you cannot maintain mastery in such a variety of both intellectual and physical areas in literally hundreds of disciplines.

Hence, why he's superhuman.

To maintain near Olympic level powerlifting is a full time job itself IRL, even with PEDs.

Rod

Oct 25, 2017
All you listed OP - plus alot more - is basically why Superman considers Batman "the most dangerous man on earth" as per his (Supes) classical line crafted and immortalized by Grant Morrison.

We saw what happens if he goes truly evil. A cosmic level threat that only another Batman could defeat.

BONUS:

Bats gotta have the coldest pep/realest talks too

main-qimg-6a40d7712ffe6effbfcc0991cf71e156.webp

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2eG45XxXwg&ab_channel=worstchannel

^
(ironically enough, the new Suicide Squad game just proved his point yet again, lol)

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yes.
Also, he has the "stupidity aura" superpower, which makes any superhero forget how their own powers work until Batman explains them.

Doggg

ā–² Legend ā–²
Nov 17, 2017
Superhuman compared to most of his foes. Also superhuman compared to a lot of allies, actually.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Nightwing, from what I've read, and I'm not a DC expert, is more known for his parkour, martial arts (apparently he's amazing here) and leadership?

He's not as broken as Bruce is lol.

zaxil456

Aug 4, 2020
If they're training like that, you cannot maintain mastery in such a variety of both intellectual and physical areas in literally hundreds of disciplines.

Hence, why he's superhuman.

To maintain near Olympic level powerlifting is a full time job itself IRL, even with PEDs.
Pretty much, yeah, but its something that at least "technically" appears possible, which is enough for a lot of writers.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
No but I will say that the Nolan trilogy addressing some of this stuff is one of the reasons I like it. Batman should be pushing himself more than is healthy and his social life should be a barely held together facade.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
All you listed OP - plus alot more - is basically why Superman considers Batman "the most dangerous man on earth" as per his (Supes) classical line crafted and immortalized by Grant Morrison.

We saw what happens if he goes truly evil. A cosmic level threat that only another Batman could defeat.

BONUS:

Bats gotta have the coldest pep/realest talks too

main-qimg-6a40d7712ffe6effbfcc0991cf71e156.webp

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2eG45XxXwg&ab_channel=worstchannel

^
(ironically enough, the new Suicide Squad game just proved his point yet again, lol)

I do love how a humble street level character like Batman became a cosmic threat. What a glow up!

Rod

Oct 25, 2017
I do love how a humble street level character like Batman became a cosmic threat. What a glow up!
It's crazy people keep asking for more Batman Who Laughs/The Darkest Knight in other media. it's an absolutely unhinged villain.

Damn, personally, that origins story f'ed me up big time. It is sick asf I'm traumatized to read it ever again, especially the Gordon and Superman parts.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Nightwing, from what I've read, and I'm not a DC expert, is more known for his parkour, martial arts (apparently he's amazing here) and leadership?

He's not as broken as Bruce is lol.
Dick isn't the best martial artist of the bunch (that's Cass), but he is generally the fastest/most agile and most skilled gymnast. He's so fast that Bruce once had him tested for meta human abilities. (Throw away line from an old Nightwing or Robin comic that I don't think anyone remembers but me.) And yes, he is by far the best leader not just in his family but probably in the DC universe as a whole.

If you think of it as a spectrum between mental and physical strengths, Bruce is in the middle and his kids typically swing one way or the other. Of course, Dick being at the "physical" end only means in comparison to his family. He's still insanely smart and knowledge and not that far behind his dad and siblings like Tim in those aspects.

He doesn't come across as broken because he's not in the spotlight as much.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
I mean what the fuck else is bruce wayne going to do with all the free time and money

getting jacked helps him ease the loneliness

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

Yeah. The 60s era Cap was still advertised as "peak of human potential" but that's been done away with for a long time now.

Rogers is immune or resistant to most poisons, does not age, does not generate fatigue toxins, has cognitive enhancements, is durable enough to jump out of planes without a parachute and "sees faster" than humans do which let's him casually evade bullets and whatnot.

Nobody knows exactly how fast or strong he is and Marvel won't put a hard number on that since it lets him get away with knocking out people he has no business fighting.