Oct 28, 2017
The game as it is stands is littered with irritations and unnecessary frustrations that make it almost impossible for me to enjoy.
I got to play it through game pass and can mostly agree with you apart from the "almost impossible for me to enjoy" part as it made it totally impossible for me to enjoy.

hopefully, they fix it and I can get back to it.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know. Maybe? Played it for about 30 minutes. Extremely stylised, liked the intro, but I got stuck fairly quickly and then I had a bunch of other games I'd rather play and never really gave it a fair chance I guess.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Was Lawbreakers indie?

Nex Machina wasnt a critical flop, but HM swapped over to AAA dev and claimed arcade is dead, so I'm labeling its reception as the biggest crime of the gen

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
That's what I'm wondering. Tacoma may check those boxes, but it doesn't have the recognizable title. Maybe if it was released as exactly the game it is today, but with a different title, things could've ended up different for it.
The thing is, as a Washingtonian, Tacoma doesn't evoke anything more than the city neighboring Seattle in my mind. It's vague and doesn't really say anything to me about its premise or themes.

It's not Full Metal Furies bad, but it's still not a good title.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
A 71 on metacritic is not a critical flop. Average sure, but not a critical flop. And it certainly hasn't been a commercial flop either.

Some of you guys have no idea what 'flop' means.
Agreed.

The "...biggest flop of 2019" thread on here was especially bad because it's hard to gauge what people consider a flop to be, or if they even understand the term.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
I'd be more inclined to say Lawbreakers or Telltale's Game of Thrones/Batman/Guardians.

Lawbreakers flopped so bad that it caused the guy that created frickin' Gears of War to quit game development altogether. Telltale somehow squandered the hottest entertainment properties of the time in Thrones and Guardians.

Everyone's got their fave Telltale series, some prefer TWD, some Wolf, some TFTBorderlands, some S&M but I can't even recall seeing people go to bat for Thrones or Guardians.

Last edited:

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
This is so absolutely stupid.

Yet, true.

I swear every single time I hear about the game I keep thinking furries, instead of furies. I can't remember what the game is about.
I seriously don't understand this. Like, I ate up classical mythology when I was little so I probably have a different perspective knowing what "furies" alludes to, but I'm trying to follow the train of thought here. Do you (this is collective, not singling you out) see the title Full Metal Furies, misread it and think it's silly and then move on without looking at anything related to the game or who made it? Do you see it in the context of "from the makers of Rogue Legacy" but get so caught up in misreading the title that you don't bother looking into it further? How does misreading a single word take up so much space in your head even after you saw the mistake, to the point that it overrides everything relating to it that you see or hear about since?

Oct 25, 2017
Below is a beautiful game, but it's a fucking mess. It breaks too many game design rules, and not, in my opinion, in a good way -- I've never wanted to like a game so much, but Below constantly made me hate it for being laborious, unfair, and ultimately boring. If they made a patched version of the game where you didn't lose your lantern on death, and had significantly more shortcuts / or allowed blued flames to stay blued nomatter what, it could start to approach being fun to play.

As it is, a failed game. I didn't refund it, because I don't want to do that to indies, but that studio is going to have to work real fucking hard to get money outta me next time.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Xbox fans still think No Mans Sky was a flop, lol.
Game sold a ton and is actually a great game.

Anyway, it picked a hell of a time to come out after all this time. Just too many good games out there right now.

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Game sold a ton and is actually a great game.

Anyway, it picked a hell of a time to come out after all this time. Just too many good games out there right now.

why are you trying to bring childish console wars into this. especially since most of the people who are still mad about NMS are playstation people who were burned by the game.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I seriously don't understand this. Like, I ate up classical mythology when I was little so I probably have a different perspective knowing what "furies" alludes to, but I'm trying to follow the train of thought here. Do you (this is collective, not singling you out) see the title Full Metal Furies, misread it and think it's silly and then move on without looking at anything related to the game or who made it? Do you see it in the context of "from the makers of Rogue Legacy" but get so caught up in misreading the title that you don't bother looking into it further? How does misreading a single word take up so much space in your head even after you saw the mistake, to the point that it overrides everything relating to it that you see or hear about since?

Ive never seen anything on this game because I misread as "furries" then im just to distracted by the possibility and just move on to something else. The name being to close to Full Metal Furries killed it which is depressing and idk what the game even is, other than the fact that it only gets brought up to talk about how it looks like furries.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
People saying that NMS wasn't financially a flop are cheap because NMS wasn't a flop thanks a HUGE marketing campaing provided by Sony, Below hasn't have that so unless you are comparing a media flop, comparing unit sales without taking into account $$$ in marketing makes little to no sense.

People keep talking about how much NMS sold without factoring how much was spent to get there in marketing and how below hasn't had any of that.

In terms of critics, for me the flop is similar except that expectations set by the developper for NMS were way higher than for below, making it for me a way bigger flop.

NMS was self-published but the vast majority of the marketing was provided by Sony, meaning that the developers didn't have to pay for it, other than signing a timed exclusivity deal. Back when SteamSpy was more accurate, its estimate of NMS's gross revenue on Steam during the year it launched was $43.2 million dollars. By all accounts, it did even better on PS4. There's no way on earth that the development costs of the game combined with Sony's marketing expenses are even remotely close to that.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
why are you trying to bring childish console wars into this. especially since most of the people who are still mad about NMS are playstation people who were burned by the game.
Cause if you had a playstation then, you'd know it didn't flop cause you were part of the droves of people who bought the game as xbox players didn't, thus them thinking it was a flop when it wasn't. It's only console wars when you retort with a competing console, like you did.

If you didn't know these consoles have fans and I'm a fan of all of them. It's not a bad thing. Warriors on the other hand....

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Cause if you had a playstation then, you'd know it didn't flop cause you were part of the droves of people who bought the game as xbox players didn't, thus them thinking it was a flop when it wasn't. It's only console wars when you retort with a competing console, like you did.

If you didn't know these consoles have fans and I'm a fan of all of them. It's not a bad thing. Warriors on the other hand....

What a ridiculous comment. Xbox owners had a far more fleshed out version of No Man's Sky launch on the console with a fair amount of acclaim. Why you'd try to single out a section of gamers in the first place is odd, let alone totally misinformed in this case.

Most of the people who still dick on NMS were those who felt burned by the initial hype-train and subsequent release.

OT: I've seen a lot of people talk about design choices, and broken design rules when discussing Below. What specifically are people referring to? I can understand the survival mechanics being divisive if you wanted a straight up exploration game, but it's intrinsic to the whole idea behind the game. I can fully understand people having an issue with the zoomed-out view, but at the same time I respect Capy for sticking to a very specific artistic vision.

If you were only exploring and working your way through with the way the combat is, the game would be pretty trivial. It makes opening short cuts essential. There are plenty of roguelike survival games that have been applauded for the same (Flame in the Flood, Don't Starve etc), I just don't quite get it.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
The survival part made me stop playing it. The game in a whole was just not fun to play for me. And the survival aspect killing me while looking for the way too good hidden exit was too much.
I still thing my game was bugged though, maybe I'll try it again in some months.

TheUnforgiven

Banned
Nov 23, 2018
NMS was self-published but the vast majority of the marketing was provided by Sony, meaning that the developers didn't have to pay for it, other than signing a timed exclusivity deal. Back when SteamSpy was more accurate, its estimate of NMS's gross revenue on Steam during the year it launched was $43.2 million dollars. By all accounts, it did even better on PS4. There's no way on earth that the development costs of the game combined with Sony's marketing expenses are even remotely close to that.

I think Sonys marketing budget for that game probably costs more than what the whole below has costed including its non-existent marketing.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
What a ridiculous comment. Xbox owners had a far more fleshed out version of No Man's Sky launch on the console with a fair amount of acclaim. Why you'd try to single out a section of gamers in the first place is odd, let alone totally misinformed in this case.

Most of the people who still dick on NMS were those who felt burned by the initial hype-train and subsequent release.

OT: I've seen a lot of people talk about design choices, and broken design rules when discussing Below. What specifically are people referring to? I can understand the survival mechanics being divisive if you wanted a straight up exploration game, but it's intrinsic to the whole idea behind the game. I can fully understand people having an issue with the zoomed-out view, but at the same time I respect Capy for sticking to a very specific artistic vision.

If you were only exploring and working your way through with the way the combat is, the game would be pretty trivial. It makes opening short cuts essential. There are plenty of roguelike survival games that have been applauded for the same (Flame in the Flood, Don't Starve etc), I just don't quite get it.
I know that, I was talking about the initial launch when it was exclusive. And fyi, the game still sells well and floats up and down on Gamestop and Amazon lists. So you claiming people who bought it at launch are the only ones still playing it is ridiculous.

You read my comment how you wanted to perceive it. I bought the game day1 on xbox you hambone.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I know that, I was talking about the initial launch when it was exclusive. And fyi, the game still sells well and floats up and down on Gamestop and Amazon lists. So you claiming people who bought it at launch are the only ones still playing it is ridiculous.

You read my comment how you wanted to perceive it. I bought the game day1 on xbox you hambone.

DIdn't say only PS4/PC people were the only ones playing it, at all. The implication was the opposite, hambone.

Your comment about how xbox gamers still thinking NMS is a flop is still entirely unfounded.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

A specific vision can be compromised in terms of accessibility. Rain World is another survival game of sorts that I was greatly looking forward to but it was so uncompromising with its design tenets that it was quite a chore to play because I'm not good enough. I still admire greatly what its trying to do, but I think its also a failure in its design because it made the game unapproachable for me, the audience, who should be the most important person in this conversation.

Elementje

Dec 26, 2017
For me it's We Happy Few... I was so hyped for this game. Then it took ages, totally changed and the price was way too high.
Or maybe Rain World..

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
but I think its also a failure in its design because it made the game unapproachable for me, the audience, who should be the most important person in this conversatio

I can understand the accessibility argument, but at the same time where do you draw the line when it comes to difficulty? Can you not extrapolate that argument to every tier of games? How do you accommodate everyone whilst remaining true to your own vision for the game?

But this has been long discussed in the "Should Dark Souls have an easy mode?" Threads

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's hilarious how many people don't know what constitutes a flop going by all the No Man's Sky posts.

NMS flopped, period, the game didn't leave up for the hype and the whole marketing campaign, this game was overhyped.

Now it is a different game, but in 2016 it was a shitshow despite selling a fuckton thanks to lies.

Slighty better by 3 is insignificant, the former has a HUGE HYPE compared to the latter.

No? You don't just get to change the definition of "flop" to suit your own views. To be a flop you have to be a poor earner and NMS, regardless of perception, was a big financial success.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
It came out too late.

The combat, controls... I don't know why but it just doesn't feel good. Combat especially. And yeah, it's more frustrating than engaging for many people I guess. I love roguelikes that give dynamic gameplay, where I can start and go again instantly and start fighting. And Below is primarly about walking. It's just not for me.

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
In the OT someone mentioned something about a 2 GB update being pushed. I wonder if it will address any of the issues mentioned in this thread.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I can understand the accessibility argument, but at the same time where do you draw the line when it comes to difficulty? Can you not extrapolate that argument to every tier of games? How do you accommodate everyone whilst remaining true to your own vision for the game?

But this has been long discussed in the "Should Dark Souls have an easy mode?" Threads
Learning bosses and levels is completely sifferent to dying because random loot didn't work out for the run and the exit is so well hidden that you'll die multiple times just looking for it. Dying from starvation.

I don't think the game itself is hard, it's hard to play by its design choices. Don't know it this makes any sense lol

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Yes. You dont know what 'flop' means.
DIdn't say only PS4/PC people were the only ones playing it, at all. The implication was the opposite, hambone.

Your comment about how xbox gamers still thinking NMS is a flop is still entirely unfounded.
Because people were calling no mans sky a flop. It's not a flop. A disappointment? Fine. 2nd biggest backlash this gen? Ok, cool..
But a flop? No.

You said 'Most of the people who still dick on NMS were those who felt burned by the initial hype-train and subsequent release.'
That's not true at all, lol. That game has been updated to the max throughout these last few years and has a nice size following of new and old players. The No Mans Sky that hit xbox is an culmination of those updates. People have been buying and playing the game and is nowhere near the biggest flop of this generation.

OT:
Actually, OP, it might be EX Fighting Layer for ps4 for the biggest indie flop of this gen.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Yes. You dont know what 'flop' means.

Because people were calling no mans sky a flop. It's not a flop. A disappointment? Fine. 2nd biggest backlash this gen? Ok, cool..
But a flop? No.

You said 'Most of the people who still dick on NMS were those who felt burned by the initial hype-train and subsequent release.'
That's not true at all, lol. That game has been updated to the max throughout these last few years and has a nice size following of new and old players. The No Mans Sky that hit xbox is an culmination of those updates. People have been buying and playing the game and is nowhere near the biggest flop of this generation.

OT:
Actually, OP, it might be EX Fighting Layer for ps4 for the biggest indie flop of this gen.

I really don't think you're understanding my comments at all. I haven't said at any stage that NMS is a flop.

I said that the people who are most vocally critical about it are those who felt spurned by the initial release. I don't even know what you're trying to point out.

This all came from you laughing about Xbox players allegedly thinking NMS was a flop I called it out as nonsense.

Let's just leave it rather than continue to derail.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
No Man's Sky? Really? No Man's Sky?

- The game sold like crazy, has a huge community (so not a commercial flop).
- Considering the controversies, it gained relatively decent reception on launch (so not a critical flop either).

2 years later, the game is so much improved and fleshed out that it's almost a different game, and because of this post-launch support and releasing on other platforms, it's still a game that is heavily discussed.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I think Vane can now officially take this title.

Which sucks, because I stupidly pre-ordered it last night to take advantage of the discount. I hope it isn't quite as bad as the reviews and impressions suggest.