imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
Not that I'm trying to view everything in the world through the lens of U.S politics, but it just occurred to me as I was dishing in yet another BvS thread, thinking about "liberal press" Clark Kent vs "brutal street justice" Bruce Wayne: most of the MCU heroes would be either mostly conservative, or largely unconcerned, with U.S. Politics. Am I right that a U.S. liberal looking to find an analog hero in the MCU reflecting their values had none, up until Black Panther?

Iron-Man: Tony definitely had an eye-opening experience when it comes to weapons-dealing and American foreign policy, and a character turnaround as a result. But he remains a "billionaire, playboy, genius, philanthropist" funding grants at MIT, yes? His is the futurist, the capitalist, and those who share that worldview find him as their analog among the Avengers.

Captain America: Almost a walking ideation of the best of old-fashioned American ideals, cap is committed to liberty and equal opportunity and somehow missing a lot of the ugly racist or sexist aspects of people from the period, ostensibly due to his own time as "the little guy." However he's pretty clear that "there's only one God, ma'am," helping old-fashioned Christian conservatives to find some analog among the heroes.

Thor: Largely unconcerned. Does this make him an analog for viewers also largely unconcerned, who consider political squabbles "tiny, and petty"?

Hulk: Bruce Banner might actually be the best bet for the only liberal MCU hero before BP, but I don't recall him ever saying anything to reveal his political leanings. Do you?

Black Widow/Hawkeye/Nick Fury:
I don't know guys: spy-games, wide-scale surveillance, super-secret organizations with super-secret heli-carriers, etc. etc. If not conservative, than at least unconcerned with a lot of liberal concerns. Not sure if these characters functioned as analogs for a military audience as much as, say, Michael Bay shamelessly created in his Transformers series, though.

Spider-Man: Still figuring it all out. Perfect analog for kids doing the same.

Black Panther
starts out largely unconcerned with U.S Politics, and in fact the world at large, introduced as more isolated and xenophobic. Killmonger is introduced as a revolutionary radical hiding within a conservative military, with a damned good point about Wakanda's values, to which T'Challa listens. At the end of the movie he adopts a more liberal stance, beginning to focus on creating opportunity and social reform with his nation's resources.

What do you think, am I way off-base here? The movies are largely apolitical, up until Black Panther, as well. Is being liberal and apolitical largely antithetical? Whatever the case, I was very glad to see audiences voting with their wallets in support of Black Panther, I loved what the movie had to say.

Oct 25, 2017
the ocean
T'Challa collaborates with the CIA in the movie, not very progressive IMHO. Definitely neo-liberal though and very much pro-establishment. The movie actually succeeds in making a black revolutionary (Killmonger) who wants to liberate black people around the world look like a criminal, pushing an agenda that its cool to collaborate with CIA to clamp down on revolutionary actions. The most pro-establishment movie ever! Of course, what would you expect from corporate Marvel?

guek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Liberal vs. Conservative is too broad, and the meaning behind the two are messy. The political conflict is more isolationism vs. globalism. T'Challa starts somewhere in the middle but definitely moves towards globalism by the end.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't paint Cap as non liberal because he believes in God. That's some damned purity test nonsense right there.

tino

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LOL you made it sound like T'Challa was elected democratically or something.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
The dude is a King and only trial by combat can dethrone him....

Dude is the least liberial one

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Captain America: Almost a walking ideation of the best of old-fashioned American ideals, cap is committed to liberty and equal opportunity and somehow missing a lot of the ugly racist or sexist aspects of people from the period, ostensibly due to his own time as "the little guy." However he's pretty clear that "there's only one God, ma'am," helping old-fashioned Christian conservatives to find some analog among the heroes.

Apparently one can't be "liberal" if he believes in "one God". That's a really big stretch.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He built a community center in a poor black neighborhood instead of challenging the structural racism and economic system that created that situation, so yeah, he is a liberal.

#KillmongerWasRight

Last edited:
OP
OP
imbarkus

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
Can't paint Cap as non liberal because he believes in God. That's some damned purity test nonsense right there.

Yeah, vey fair. I guess that line stood out. Not "I believe in one God" but "there's only one God."

Also, yeah forgot about Ant Man. Or original Hank Pym for that matter.

Apparently one can't be "liberal" if he believes in "one God". That's a really big stretch.

He never said shit about what he believed.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017

I'm not really into superhero movies and haven't seen any that feature Captain America. How do the movies reconcile this? How does a man who met Thor and Loki hold onto the belief that Christianity is the one true religion?

I have seen Guardians (only the first one) and am struggling to remember any scenes that gave insight into the character's political views.

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
So....per the OP, Cap is clearly an (evil) conservative because he believes in God?

That is the argument put forth, correct?

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017

Don't you know that's the true mark of a liberal?

That's why people eat up Seth McFarlane's shit and hail him as a progressive! Doesn't matter that he makes homophobic, racist, transphobic, xenophobic and antisemitic jokes, all is forgiven because he shits all over religion!

/s

I'm not really into superhero movies and haven't seen any that feature Captain America. How do the movies reconcile this? How does a man who met Thor and Loki hold onto the belief that Christianity is the one true religion?

Captain America by this point has fought Aliens and saw the Tesseract used as a power source for technology, if his faith in the judeo-christian god is strong enough he can rationalize it as "these guys aren't gods, these are very powerful aliens with advanced technology", which actually was how Thor presented himself in his first movie.

adrem007

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
'm not really into superhero movies and haven't seen any that feature Captain America. How do the movies reconcile this? How does a man who met Thor and Loki hold onto the belief that Christianity is the one true religion?

By thinking that God created them as well? Idk, the movies don't explore it

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing this thread reminded me of this

d8f.png

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
You aren't going to find a Marvel character more liberal than Captain America.

And yes, he obviously believes in the christian god but he'd take a bullet for anybody, regardless of their race or religion and he'd fight for them and their rights to his last breath.

Cap has been full on "fuck the man" and butting heads with conservative beliefs for as long as I can remember.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
So....per the OP, Cap is clearly an (evil) conservative because he believes in God?

That is the argument put forth, correct?

Where you getting "evil" from what the OP wrote about that character?

If you're asking whether the OP is insinuating that there is a correlation between conservatism and religion, I believe this is well documented.

Deleted member 4274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cap'n is more liberal than you're giving him credit.
Was gonna say this (barring his turn as a Nazi... and well, 1940's and 50's Captain. Seriously FUCK Marvel for that...). There are a LOT of liberal Christians, btw. If MCU Captain America was real and ran for president, he'd Be Obama X Bernie Sanders.

OP
OP
imbarkus

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017

lol The MCU totally ignores it. The Asgardians themselves state later they are powerful and old, but not gods. Earth doesn't freak out at all or start worshipping Thor. They basically sidestep it.

I have seen Guardians (only the first one) and am struggling to remember any scenes that gave insight into the character's political views.

He left Earth before he had any. Goes in the "largely unconcerned" category.