• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is he boring?

• Yes, boring as fuck. 🥱😴

Votes: 804 42.4%
  • No. He's actually very interesting. 🤓👍

Votes: 530 28.0%
  • Milquetoast. 🍞

Votes: 562 29.6%

• Total voters

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Let's settle this. Is the dude boring or actually an interesting new Star Wars character?

Poll results will make it official law.

1f226663480cd99009f4942438273d45.jpg

00d43e08e0114dbb830dd077e7b0c0a9771bc5a7.gif

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Boss, you're supposed to make threads where you can actually debate two rational sides of an argument.

No reasonable person is going to say he's not boring.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Boring by design.

As a prequel/side character his destiny is to not stand out and do anything interesting.
Maybe he'll be the next Ahsoka? Guess we'll have to wait 10/15 years to find out.

Not going to be the next Ahsoka lol

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
reasonsimbroke-larry-david.gif

Yeah kinda. Hopefully they'll give him more of a personality in the sequel.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
He's fine, and that's probably about as much as Respawn wanted him to be. It's Star Wars, you don't go to Star Wars for compelling character work.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Cameron Monaghan is kinda boring. Cal Kestis is written in a boring way. He's boring.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
The writers need to give the actor more to work with. Or maybe Disney needs to let the writers give him more. His backstory is interesting but that's about it

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
I guess? Not every jedi needs to be a super confident badass but they could do a bit more with him.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah he is but I've also grown to like the dork lol

If he ever shows up in live action Star Wars I'll be hyped, I ain't gonna lie

Feb 16, 2022
The writers need to give the actor more to work with. Or maybe Disney needs to let the writers give him more. His backstory is interesting but that's about it
It's kind of a waste to get Cameron Monaghan as your protagonist and not write the character to be more "out there". Cal felt like a blank slate quiet protagonist type, even with the backstory. Like he was designed to be as out of your way as possible, so you can live off your Jedi fantasy. Which is probably the point, but... yeah.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't really find him boring, he just never got a chance to be a full-fledged Jedi. I don't know, I don't feel like you get to see characters in video games that often who are kind of naive optimistic types. I feel like they did a good job showing his backstory and growth throughout the game. That being said, he was a pretty standard character within the world of Star Wars archetypes, though.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
I guess I'm the weirdo haha. I really liked this game and his character. One of the few post disney aquisition things I've liked. Him and his supporting cast were a ton of fun and interesting to me.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of a waste to get Cameron Monaghan as your protagonist and not write the character to be more "out there". Cal felt like a blank slate quiet protagonist type, even with the backstory. Like he was designed to be as out of your way as possible, so you can live off your Jedi fantasy. Which is probably the point, but... yeah.

Honestly I think the game was a but rushed, which probably played a bigger part in why things were light in that dept. I think the game surprised EA tbh, so hopefully they will have more resources

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He's pretty boring, but of the stock Star Wars protagonist archetypes, I find "former Padawan in exile" to be the most interesting, so he's got a leg up over the "rogue with a heart of gold" and "child of destiny from a desert planet" types.

SystemBug

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked his character arc in the first game. Working through trauma and loss of hope. It's good stuff

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Star Wars characters are boring by default, but for what he is, he is a good Star Wars characters.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
To me, he's another Starkiller/Galen Marek: I like the actor and performance, he pulls off some good feats, but I wish Respawn had done something a bit more original with their Jedi protagonist. Saying that, I don't actively dislike playing as Cal, and Jedi Survivor is one of my most anticipated games next year.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
What a coincidence, I'm like 4-5 hours into the game right now.

He doesn't have any outstanding qualities, to say the least. At least until now. He's... inoffensive? Ticks all the boxes to be a video game protagonist and not much more. Not a bad character by any means, just a dude trying his best.

Neutron

Jun 2, 2022
I mean it feels like he's had more discussions dedicated to him than most of whoever your faves are.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
He's okay. I found him likeable enough even if pretty non-distinctive. He could have been a lot worse, which I know sounds like damning with faint praise, but I don't think it's all that easy to get these characters right, where they have to do a lot of heavy lifting at the start of a new series. It'd be easier to judge him after the next one.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I mean I find most main characters to be meh and the characters around them make the story, this is no different.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
I thought the character himself was fine. Would have liked some more interesting costumes and all that but his arch was written decently well.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of? But I didn't hate him. Seemed like a nice kid just trying to work through his trauma and stay alive. Survivor looks like they're going down the gruff hardened fugitive route though, which I'm dreading a little.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
He exists to swing a light saber around, and he does a decent job of that. Pretty forgettable though.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
Kind of? I loved the story, but I think that's mostly cuz of the Second Sister stuff. I hope they work on making him a bit more compelling as a protagonist.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
To all of you saying he's boring:

e18107e0-7767-11ed-ad6f-8aeab540bb08.cf.jpg

You still calling him boring now? I bet you won't fucking say that to his face. He's cute and you're not. Jealousy.

Take that.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Cal is excruciatingly dull and so is the entire story. I played around 60 games over the last year. Fallen Order was only one of two with a story dull enough that I actually wanted to skip the cutscenes. I couldn't though, because Fallen Order sadly does not have a cutscene skip button.

You still calling him boring now? I bet you won't fucking say that to his face. He's cute and you're not. Jealousy.

Take that.
Oh god they made him look even more boring. How????

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
He gets the job done, I enjoyed playing through that flashback sequence

Take that.
Maybe I'm shallow but the beard makes him at least 20% more interesting