• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shacklesmcgee

Oct 25, 2017
No matter what I've tried I can't get certain images in Chrome to load. I've gone into incognito mode, reset all data, uninstalled and reinstalled, tried on my laptop...but just some images are "broken" until you right click and open in a new tab.
Two for sure examples, at least for me:

This Era post, where there should be a chart that just doesn't want to load
or
this post from an art forum where none of the images load.

Chrome:

Edge:

This is fairly recent too, maybe a month or two old now? Edge works fine, Firefox works fine, Samsung Internet Browser on my phone works fine. Chrome on my desktop, laptop, and phone are all broken. I don't really want to switch browsers, but I may have to if there is no fix for this. It's incredibly frustrating.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, i can't load that image either. Since this is chrome we're talking about this is probably a bug in the server who is serving the image, and Firefox complains that the connection was not secure, even though it loads the image.

Shrike

Oct 25, 2017
It seems that Chrome is blocking loading non-secure content in secured webpages now is my best guess, as all the images that won't load are non-secure. You'll note that in Firefox it gives a warning on the lock symbol on those pages even if it does still load the images (for now, won't be surprised if that changes)

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not only do I have the same issue, but those pictures you linked to at imgur? I can see the smaller previews here, but I can't load them in chrome if I click on them - just a blank imgur page.

OP
OP
shacklesmcgee

shacklesmcgee

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, i can't load that image either. Since this is chrome we're talking about this is probably a bug in the server who is serving the image, and Firefox complains that the connection was not secure, even though it loads the image.

It's weird that it works on Edge, which has the same backend no?

It's extra frustrating that there are no recent search results for anything "chrome broken image" or similar too, let alone a fix.

Not only do I have the same issue, but those pictures you linked to at imgur? I can see the smaller previews here, but I can't load them in chrome if I click on them - just a blank imgur page.

I've had that too, the past week. Imgur just not loading anything but the dark grey background.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands

It's extra frustrating that there are no recent search results for anything "chrome broken image" or similar too, let alone a fix.

mixed content is always a tricky thing. Its probably a per-browser configuration on how to handle that (even if they use the same backend). I would suggest searching for "chrome mixed content"; since the images probably arent broken.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017

Not really, Edge might be based on a non up to date version of Chromium, or they might be making different business logic decisions and implementing those against default Chromium behaviour, or more likely this is a feature that Google implemented in Chrome and did not backport to Chromium (which makes the most sense, since this is essentially business logic and should not be forced unto other Chromium users until it becomes vastly more common).

It should be noted that Google is known to make big security decisions like these in an effort to force developers to upgrade their work.

OP
OP
shacklesmcgee

shacklesmcgee

Oct 25, 2017
mixed content is always a tricky thing. Its probably a per-browser configuration on how to handle that (even if they use the same backend). I would suggest searching for "chrome mixed content"; since the images probably arent broken.
Looking it up more, I found this page that shows how to enable insecure content on pages in Chrome: https://docs.adobe.com/content/help.../vec/troubleshoot-composer/mixed-content.html I checked and indeed the default is to block it now.

AHA! Thank you so much, this worked for me! A bit of a dumb change to make, if you don't easily tell/show people how to revert it back

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
AHA! Thank you so much, this worked for me! A bit of a dumb change to make, if you don't easily tell/show people how to revert it back

Well the change makes sense (from a web-security perspective), but as you experienced yourself, it's not something that is clear to the end user. They could've put a simple message referring to mixed-content in there instead of just the 'broken' image. But I kinda 'understand' what they're trying to achieve (as in, make sure you serve https content to your users since http really isnt up to scratch anymore)