• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
No. The problem is that shader permutations have exploded over the last generation when it's not actually necessary. It's a combination of art pipelines being so flexible as to allow artists to create combinatorial explosions in materials and engines not making use of new api features like push constants. Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal only use ~100 shaders total because they use a well-tuned ubershader instead of generating shaders for every material in the game.
Aaaah. I was wondering why those two were the only smooth games I've played in a decade lol. that's awesome.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Going back to DX11 and letting Nvidia handle it would be better. Microsoft and Epic don't care to solve it as their focus is Consoles.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
It is a real shame that a thread containing genuinely valuable information and hosting an interesting discussion was completely derailed by people deciding that this was the proper venue for them to voice their general grievances with PC gaming and their love and admiration for console gaming. As with every thread of this nature we also had the clockwork-like appearance of old classics like "I have to tinker with every game for two full days to get it to even launch" and "my PC explodes as soon as I double-click the game's icon on the desktop".

PC is an open platform. You can do all sorts of things on it. You don't have to do them. You have the option, not the obligation. If a specific game isn't running properly it's the developer's responsibility to fix it, not yours. You have the option, due to the platform's open nature, to try some workarounds while the developer investigates the issue and applies a proper fix. Again, you have the option, not the obligation. And hey, if the existence of the option doesn't work for you, great! Choose another platform that better suits your wants and needs, but let's not pretend that console gaming in 2022 is a smooth and trouble-free experience when sites like Digital Foundry have comprehensively proven otherwise.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
"my PC explodes as soon as I double-click the game's icon on the desktop".
ONYBCN.gif

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
It is a real shame that a thread containing genuinely valuable information and hosting an interesting discussion was completely derailed by people deciding that this was the proper venue for them to voice their general grievances with PC gaming and their love and admiration for console gaming. As with every thread of this nature we also had the clockwork-like appearance of old classics like "I have to tinker with every game for two full days to get it to even launch" and "my PC explodes as soon as I double-click the game's icon on the desktop".

PC is an open platform. You can do all sorts of things on it. You don't have to do them. You have the option, not the obligation. If a specific game isn't running properly it's the developer's responsibility to fix it, not yours. You have the option, due to the platform's open nature, to try some workarounds while the developer investigates the issue and applies a proper fix. Again, you have the option, not the obligation. And hey, if the existence of the option doesn't work for you, great! Choose another platform that better suits your wants and needs, but let's not pretend that console gaming in 2022 is a smooth and trouble-free experience when sites like Digital Foundry have comprehensively proven otherwise.
Absolutely wonderful post. Five thumbs up.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017

You said what I said earlier much better so thanks for that :)

Thanks for the laugh in the morning :D