Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's a pretty good action game in its own right. Its main flaw is that its bosses are pretty boring and weak. The story is utter trash too.

Creatchee

Oct 26, 2017
Sarasota, Florida
DmC is my favorite of the series. The definitive version is where it's at. Some of my favorite boss battles ever (especially Bob Barbas). The level design and art style are super.

Anybody who says it's an objectively bad game is lying to you and themselves. As always, it's all about personal preference as to whether or not you'll enjoy it though.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
What makes 2 so bad? So only 3, 4 and DmC are worth playing really?

It's the black sheep of the entire series. Bad level design, bad bosses, really bad writing, totally inconsequential to the overall story.

3 and 4 are the best examples of the series. DmC: Definitive Edition is an okay but not exemplary imitation. 1 is alright, but the series' status as an ascended Resident Evil spinoff is at its most obvious in that game and it doesn't hold up mechanically as well as the games built off of the DMC3 framework. Play it for history if you like, but don't feel like you have to.

OP
OP
EndlessNever

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
Just checked, Devil May Cry 4 is only 7 bucks on the store too. I might just buy that and DmC, even though I'd be playing the series totally out of order lol

IBLiSTRiGGER

Jun 7, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
Have the older Devil May Cry games aged well? Would I be better to start at the very start instead of DmC?

1 is a bit creaky, but if you like survival horror— or just re4— you'll probably still enjoy it. it's a very different beast from the rest, though.

3 hasn't aged a day. just played it tonight and it feels like a dream. there's some 00s era quirks in the ui but that's about it.

4 is a very flawed, unfinished game with amazing combat. if you can stomach bad level design and backtracking, you'll do alright.

there is no second game.

Last edited:

Soonri

Oct 25, 2017
Only if you get the Definitive Edition on PS4/Xbone. If not, get the HD collection or 4SE.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Well. I didn't mean it as an insult or anything. I just don't want his judgment clouded by some things that wouldn't matter to him as it would a huge fan of the series. I just formed my own opinion first and was surprised at the backlash. I still have only played the pc version though. Not the definitive one.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I mean there was also the jarring tonal shift and the ugly colour palette and antagonistic devs and journalists, and upon release that shifted to the dumbed down combat mechanics.

But sure, it's just the hair.
Pretty much this. The only people kidding themselves were Capcom thinking it would work.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
What makes 2 so bad? So only 3, 4 and DmC are worth playing really?

Play 10m-1h of it. No explanation will ever correctly describe the sheer magnitude of how ineptly made it is.

Well. I didn't mean it as an insult or anything. I just don't want his judgment clouded by some things that wouldn't matter to him as it would a huge fan of the series. I just formed my own opinion first and was surprised at the backlash. I still have only played the pc version though. Not the definitive one.

Sorry but I kinda took it as one. Over five years it's been nonstop getting shat on by association because of other people's opinions on it. It gets kinda tiring since every DmC discussion on planet Earth turns out like this.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean there was also the jarring tonal shift and the ugly colour palette and antagonistic devs and journalists, and upon release that shifted to the dumbed down combat mechanics.

But sure, it's just the hair.

Are you seriously trying to tell me you don't remember when everyone got so. god. damn. angry. at this dumb little joke, because it was "A slap to the face to DMC fans"?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Just get DMC4SE, honestly. It's the better game of the two, has more content, more modes, and more playable characters.

But also a worse campaign structure. Don't try to sweep that under the rug for a newbie lol.
If he's planning to buy both, that's by far the best option so they can get a taste for both styles.
Both games definitely have their flaws.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you seriously trying to tell me you don't remember when everyone got so. god. damn. angry. at this dumb little joke, because it was "A slap to the face to DMC fans"?

And all the other things, yes.

I mean I like Dante's new design in a vacuum, but when he was first announced? You can't tell me that turning him into a methhead/insert of the game director was a good idea.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
But also a worse campaign structure. Don't try to sweep that under the rug for a newbie lol.
If he's planning to buy both, that's by far the best option so they can get a taste for both styles.

Is DMC3SE playable on PS4 yet? I honestly don't know since I just finished it on the PS3 HD trilogy disc.

IBLiSTRiGGER

Jun 7, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
Play 10m-1h of it. No explanation will ever correctly describe the sheer magnitude of how ineptly made it is.

yeah, just trust us. you don't want to play it. it is, maybe, one of the worst games ever made.

Is DMC3SE playable on PS4 yet? I honestly don't know since I just finished it on the PS3 HD trilogy disc.

if you're willing to dump money on the same hd collection, except in 60 FPS, then... yes!

(i was)

Last edited:
OP
OP
EndlessNever

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
Both games definitely have their flaws.
I ended up buying both! I'll flip a coin to see which I'll play first.

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
It's alright, the combat is a step down but it's still a decent action game.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DmC is quite good and I would recommend it. It stands up to the best of any game in the series. The combat is slightly simplified compared to other entries but made a lot of good changes as well.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
We're talking about the Ninja Theory game, right? If so, it's $7.49 on Steam right now. I don't know if you have a PC or not, but just giving you the heads up in case you do.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
also god damn the hate for 2 is real in here huh
I won't lie and say I don't hate DmC, I most certainly do, but even it manages to be a more competent actual game than the likes of DMC2.
We're talking about the Ninja Theory game, right? If so, it's $7.49 on Steam right now. I don't know if you have a PC or not, but just giving you the heads up in case you do.
The Definitive Edition never got a PC port, though.

Deleted member 28076

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's horrible garbage not even worth playing

Get DMC4:SE and never look back. Well, look back to 3 maybe.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And all the other things, yes.

I mean I like Dante's new design in a vacuum, but when he was first announced? You can't tell me that turning him into a methhead/insert of the game director was a good idea.

My original point is that now people can talk about game mechanics or w/e, but it's straight up wrong to ignore the initial backlash because of some hair.

I don't really have an opinion on Nu Dante over anything else aside from I like his design slightly better, but even Nero in DMC5 looks way better and what Nu Dante should have been.

The initial reveal trailer's Dante is so different from the final product that I honestly don't think that his actual personality was what caused the backlash at first.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Best DMC with best story and characterization.

The more DMC5 takes after it, the better. Still secretly hoping its somehow a sequel to both stories through some type of dumb multiverse bullshit.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My original point is that now people can talk about game mechanics or w/e, but it's straight up wrong to ignore the initial backlash because of some hair.

I don't really have an opinion on Nu Dante over anything else aside from I like his design slightly better, but even Nero in DMC looks way better and what Nu Dante should have been.

The initial reveal trailer's Dante is so different from the final product that I honestly don't think that his actual personality was what caused the backlash at first.

Because his original design, and the entire aesthetic to DmC's reveal trailer, was so jarringly different from DMC and some folks didn't like it, to the point where Ninja Theory redesigned him and retooled his personality to be more in line with regular Dante. He's a lot more stoic in the original trailer as an example.

It's wrong to boil things down to just "it's the hair."

Phokal

Oct 25, 2017
WI
DmC is great. Def worth as a jumping in since it's standalone and origin story. It's basically They Live x Army of Darkness so while that doesn't match the og series style, it's great, too

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

That was three years into the game's public existence. People were negative even before DmC was revealed because of the rumors of Ninja Theory working on it, reasonably so because of the extremely poor quality of Heavenly Sword and Enslaved as action games. Saying it started with and was mostly because of the hair is revisionism and fact obfuscation worth of the Donald himself.

And speaking as someone that doesn't hate DmC, it absolutely was. It came across as petty, not to mention tone deaf after three years of insults by press and developers, all sorts of disparaging comments incl. homophobic slurs on social media towards fans of the series because some dared to not swallow it without complaints and ask for seconds. Even people like Yahtzee felt it was too much and he couldn't give a rat's ass about the series or its fans. Maybe the developers felt the need to hit back, but it also hit people that didn't rain any bile upon Ninja Theory.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Just checked, Devil May Cry 4 is only 7 bucks on the store too. I might just buy that and DmC, even though I'd be playing the series totally out of order lol

Just do not play DMC4 on automatic mode. Its best element is its combat design. Auto mode makes that all irrelevant. I have a good feeling a lot of people play dmc4 with that mode which is like playing a racing game that steers for you in random directions.

I give credit to Ninja Theory for not putting in a stupid ass automatic mode. They had faith in their controls and required all players to learn it. And that learning process is part of the fun in playing an action game.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017

It's literally a joke that's doing the same thing you did. The redesign of Dante may have got people up in arms to start, but the shift in setting, tone, character personality, stupid edgelord writing and the fact most fans didn't want or need another origin story are all complaints that were leveled in some form or another before and after the games release.

But Ninja Theory sure like putting "fuck you" in this game, so why not one more to fans?

On topic for the OP, since you haven't played any DMC you probably won't see many of the flaws long time fans did. It's an okay action game, I didnt loathe the base version and apparently Definitive is better. I think 4 or Collection are better buys, but you could do worse for character action.