jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: I ended up buying the game, thanks everyone for their recommendations.

I'm kinda itching for an arcade racer. I've always wanted to try this game out, but I understand this is a community/multiplayer-oriented title, I wonder if this part of the game is still alive? If it's not, is the single-player content good enough, is it varied and stuff?

Last edited:

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
The online is still going strong and there is loads of single player content and the season pass roughly doubles the amount of content.

Lost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a pretty solid racer IMO. And it's absolutely beautiful. Online is pretty fun too.

I'd say yes. Especially for the price.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yes! It still plays and looks phenomenal. Picked up the digital version (along with the Bikes Expansion) so I could retire my disc one in the last sale that had. Everything is pretty much patched into the game, you just get the season pass I believe to unlock all the additional stuff (cars/liveries/circuits/tours).

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
My favourite racer of all time! Definitely you should be able to pick it up with all the dlc for less than £20

DrDamn

Oct 27, 2017
My favourite racer of the generation. There is a decent amount to do SP - especially with the Season passes. MP I played more challenges with friends - are servers still up ok?

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
There's more than enough single player content especially with the DLC. A while back they have a free version for PS+ users, you may be able to try that out to see if you like the game.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Of course it is. The singleplayer campaign is very juicy and thanks to the social aspects it still encourages you to compete with your friends thanks to the inrace challenges and leaderboards. It's best to pick up a season pass bundle. It adds tons and tons of new content.

Nokterian

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Euroland
To add one of the best feelings of speed I've ever experienced in a racing game it hangs between arcade and simulation and it runs phenomenal.

meppi64

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely. One of the most fun racers of the generation.
Don't go easy on the handbrake either, just rip it, turn your car sideways and have a blast.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
Driveclub has a large amount of solo content, especially at the current price. Plus the multiplayer is great.

I would say it's definitely worth it IMO.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
I wish it had gotten a Pro Update to fix the image quality, but otherwise its a great game. Although it never delivered on the social features the advertised so heavily pre release. I guess they are in but they are pretty much meaningless.
The driving itself is harder than your usual arcade racer, I guess its not for everyone but many people really love it. The sense of speed is pretty much unrivaled.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
It's...fine.

I wanted to love it, but found there are wayyyyyyyyy too many terrible drift events, which I couldn't stand. The racing felt more like constant time trials than actual racing as the AI was present in theory but not in spirit.

The tracks were narrow and the whole experience had a rally cross feel to it, moreso than a "driving experience". Actually if you miss games like Rallisport Chalkenge or Sega Rally, that is reason enough to jump in here. It can be thrilling pushing for better times, more completion stars, and nailing those apex turns, but I didn't much love it as many do.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Many years into this gen, it's still the best racing experience imho.

Horizon doesn't deliver in the sense of a track racer. Ploughing a lambo through a corn field isn't really my idea of a racing game.
GT Sport felt clunky in its controls and disappointed me in its car collection.

Driveclub feels fast, handles great and has an amazing collection of cars. Get it plus the seasons pass and you'll be enjoying yourself for hours upon hours, even if you're going to play just by yourself.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
So I think I got that Ps+ free version that had like 20 tracks, like maybe India? I am not sure. Its been delisted and the upgrade version was delisted so I have no idea what to get to unlock it all. They had a sale a couple months back and I felt paralyzed because it was near impossible to get a straight answer

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
If you've only got a PS4 and want to scratch the racing itch, absolutely. Started slow, but it's the best PS4 racer now a couple years out IMO.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like getting Driveclub, the season pass and the bike expansion would be almost $50.

You'd think there be a cheap bundle for everything these days. :P

ScOULaris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
jett

You and I have usually seen eye-to-eye on most things over the years, so take my word for it when I say you should get DriveClub.

I picked it up on a digital sale about a year ago, and I loved it. From what I could tell the online is still active enough, but 90% of my time with the game has been spent playing singleplayer content. There really is a lot of it, even more so if you download the free and/or paid DLC packages that add quite a bit to the game.

The game has a nice simcade feel to it that really suited my interest level in racing games, and to this day IMO it's the best-looking racer on the market. It might run at 30fps, but the fidelity combined with graphical and audio touches implemented to convey a blistering sense of speed all come together to form the most visually pleasing whole that I've played. While GT Sport is a graphical powerhouse in its own way, it doesn't look as good as DriveClub to me, nor does it feel as satisfying to play.

My only gripe with the game is the under-representation of American and Asian car manufacturers. A few were added via DLC down the line, but it's still like 80% European cars on the roster.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
I have 100% trophies so of course yes,one of the best racing games of all time,my favorite this gen.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm kinda itching for an arcade racer. I've always wanted to try this game out, but I understand this is a community/multiplayer-oriented title, I wonder if this part of the game is still alive? If it's not, is the single-player content good enough, is it varied and stuff?

It had loads of single player content added to it after launch, plus DLC if you wanted more.

I didn't rate the community aspect of the game, the risk/reward wasn't there. Penalties got nerfed as well pretty soon after launch. Ironic considering GTSport is much harsher.

Also, Jeff Gerstmann disliked the driving mechanics, so be aware it has a different feel like a strange simcade.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
The best season pass ever created, absolutely insane amount of content.
As for game I will never forgive Sony for shutting the series/Evolution down, game was excellent.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
My cheap ass got it on sale in March. Its replaced GT5 (my PS3 is still kinda my main console) as my go to when I have a racing itch. There is a crazy diversity of tracks of great visual beauty, tons of cars, lots of different race modes, a true feature rich offline single player racer.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Is Driveclub actually an arcade racer, though? I got the impression it was more of a lite sim. Never played it, though.

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like getting Driveclub, the season pass and the bike expansion would be almost $50.

You'd think there be a cheap bundle for everything these days. :P

If you have PS+, you can get DC for $7-8 I believe. Then just wait for them to have sale on the season pass/bikes. They happen often, and are probably due again for a Flash Sale.

kinoki

Oct 28, 2017
Great racer. Still play it every other week. Such a nice way to spend a few minutes.