Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Two GameStop locations in my area have since closed down. One was in a mall that I frequented a lot.

I stopped going to buy new games from GameStop after they had the stuff already opened and when I asked for a new, sealed in box copy of the game, I was told "That's how we get new games, they come already opened for customer convenience."

Also didn't like how I was constantly followed, asked if I needed help, asked if I wanted x game. And the constant asking at the register, "do you want x pre-ordered?" "do you want protection for $xx.xxx?" "do you have a rewards card with us? If not, do you want one?" Even when I went to get the exclusive Pokemon game code cards to get special Pokemon, I was always asked if I wanted to pre-order a game or if I wanted a new game like it was required for me to purchase something in order to get the Pokemon game card.

Also I have heard horror stories of how employees were treated as well, another reason why I stopped buying at GameStop.

Deleted member 24624

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They just need to be better than Amazon in the games department. Offer a better service. Update your site to something that's not from 1999.

Oh and as a former Gamestop manager pay your employees better and get a better coverage system. Twisted my ankle to where it nearly broke and I was told to find coverage by calling other stores in the district. They wanted me to talk with Store Mangers/Store Leaders (whatever they're called nowadays) and ask their staff availability. Told them "No. You do that." and hung up.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I don't know about the rest of the world but EB Games Australia should probably stop selling new releases at $100 when every other physical store has them at $70-80. I don't know how to business though so correct me if I'm talking crazy.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
You do realize that out of all the 1st world countries, America has the worst internet right? We couldn't get a 40mbps connection where I live up until a few years ago and I'm in atlanta. Every option (there are two) l for internet here has a data cap. If I want to pay Comcast to remove the data cap it will cost 150 minimum a month. Further, no connection that's even rated at that speed, at least here, will maintain that speed for the duration. Currently I have fiber internet and even with steam or XBL, I top out at 20-30 mbps constant even though my plan is well above that.

The next Rihanna cd isn't going to need a patch but the next big game will, and that patch will be huge. Combine that with data caps because telecoms have virtual monopolies in most places in the US as well things like higher res textures and developers saying "fuck it!" to compression and we're going to have an issue. Data caps and shit internet speeds in America are going to inhibit digital adoption in a way that is not comparable to music.

Bro, anecdotal stories won't work when you want to know the truth. The easy answer to the easy question was NO, there is nothing special about a 40Mbps connection. See the average numbers below.

"According to Ookla, the forerunner in internet speed tests, the average U.S. internetdownload speed now clocks in at a whopping 93.98 Mbps, as of June 2018. That means the United States is over twice as fast as the global average speed of 46.25 Mbps."

Last edited:

neilyadig

Nov 13, 2017
All they need to do is offer a competitive program like Best Buy's old Gamers Club, with just barely good enough discounts.

All of a sudden people will start buying at GameStop again to take advantage of it.

CSX

Oct 27, 2017
https://twitter.com/CSX142857
Just find reasons to get us window shopping in the first place. I used to at the bare minimum just go through the bargain bin section to see if there are any hidden gem whenever I pass by a gamestop store in a mall. Now they even took those away and I have zero reason to enter.

Honestly at this point, the only way they get me going inside is if they do something like Best Buy's GCU program (RIP)

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have 100k points (thank you trade in glitch/loop from a while ago) that need to be used.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Bro, anecdotal stories won't work when you want to know the truth. The easy answer to the easy question was NO, there is nothing special about a 40Mbps connection. See the average numbers below.

"According to Ookla, the forerunner in internet speed tests, the average U.S. internetdownload speed now clocks in at a whopping 93.98 Mbps, as of June 2018. That means the United States is over twice as fast as the global average speed of 46.25 Mbps."

It's not anecdotal. I used to sell internet and cellular services.

"According to the FCC's latest Internet Access Services Report (routinely considered a generous over-estimation of reality), nearly 25 million Americans lack access to 25Mbps/3Mbps speeds, the FCC's base definition of broadband. In areas that do have those speeds, it's not uncommon for consumers to have just one ISP to choose from, driving prices higher."

Even as speed increases, you're ignoring every other point like lack of choice and high pricing. You're also not even looking at data caps which are a huge issue in America. So shitty or inconsistent speeds and data caps are going to be the big impediment for an all digital future. People will still buy digital but thinking next gen will kill physical media isn't accurate. It will probably reduce physical media users but America doesn't have the infrastructure to support all digital for gamers.

Last edited:

stizz

Banned
Apr 12, 2019
I was introduced to a YouTube channel from a thread here with some horrible GameStop stories. I had no idea upper management are really dicking over the people in the stores. I refuse to shop at GameStop anymore and the sooner they're gone with their negative reinforcement culture, the better.
Let me guess cleanliness cough i mean cybabyprincegamings gamestop stories?

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
I'd rather not have GS fully dive into the retro market, that would kill off the current mom and pop retro stores. I know not every one has access to mom and pops like most people do to a GS, but I'd rather GS die and we preserve the mom and pops, at least most of them tend to take care of their games and don't toss out cases and manuals like GS does.

stizz

Banned
Apr 12, 2019
I think retail games will survive for at least a while, but most people buy retail games through Amazon or an equivalent online retailer. While a decrease in retail games sales is definitely hurting GS, I can't help but think a lot of their decline is self-inflicted.

As someone with social anxiety, Gamestop is a place that often makes me genuinely uncomfortable. Because employees are judged so heavily on memberships and pre orders, I've had employees question me pretty aggressively when I tell then I'm not interested in New Game X or a Game Informer sub. I've also had employees watch me like a hawk while browsing or asking me if I actually intend to buy anything while checking out a demo kiosk.

I have absolutely no issues buying physical games, but if they're to survive, they need to drastically alter their structure, because as it is, I'd much rather just buy a physical game with prime shipping than dealing with someone hounding me the second I enter the store.
I have social anxiety too but that would not stop me from buying there. I buy there and Amazon. I got my sub with gamestop in November last year before that ebgames in 2005 or 2006 was the last time I ever sub or preordered games and maybe pre-order around 2008 gamestop but stopped going there till last year. I see no problem with them atm never dealt with bullshit.

Last edited:

stizz

Banned
Apr 12, 2019
But yeah I understand why they need to change their game plan around and find something that works. Most the gamestop i been to in three areas have been pleasant in Massachusetts.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
It's not anecdotal. I used to sell internet and cellular services.

"According to the FCC's latest Internet Access Services Report (routinely considered a generous over-estimation of reality), nearly 25 million Americans lack access to 25Mbps/3Mbps speeds, the FCC's base definition of broadband. In areas that do have those speeds, it's not uncommon for consumers to have just one ISP to choose from, driving prices higher."

Even as speed increases, you're ignoring every other point like lack of choice and high pricing. You're also not even looking at data caps which are a huge issue in America. So shitty or inconsistent speeds and data caps are going to be the big impediment for an all digital future. People will still buy digital but thinking next gen will kill physical media isn't accurate. It will probably reduce physical media users but America doesn't have the infrastructure to support all digital for gamers.

I just gave you a source that shares the average internet speed in the US and you are sharing the data for "nearly 25 million Americans"? You tried to describe downloading a 50GB game as some type of event that is somehow discouraging people from moving over to digital. I gave you a quick example of how easy it is to download a 50GB game with 40Mbps, but the download speed can be half as much and it would still be nothing more than leaving the game downloading over night. So please stop pretending like the internet is not improving, that data caps are not increasing, or that the percentage of people that go over to digital is not increasing every year.

Last edited:

stizz

Banned
Apr 12, 2019
I just gave you a source that shares the average internet speed in the US and you are sharing the data for "nearly 25 million Americans"? You tried to describe downloading a 50GB game as some type of event that is somehow discouraging people from moving over to digital. I gave you a quick example of how easy it is to download a 50GB game with 40Mbps, but it can be half as much and it would still be nothing more than leaving the game downloading over night. So please stop pretending like the internet is not improving, that data caps are not increasing, or that the percentage of people that go over to digital is not increasing every year.
You are forgetting about price. I know a lot of people who can't afford a 1 gigabit line as in Verizon fios and some can't fathom 39.99. There are areas in U.S. That have only access to ask only no fiber optics ever coming to those towns.

Last edited:

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
You are forgetting about price. I know a lot of people who can't afford a 1 gigabit line as in Verizon good and some can't fathom 39.99. There are areas in U.S. That have only access to ask only no fiber optics ever coming to those towns.

I'm giving examples using 40 and 20Mbps as reference, as well as sharing data about the average speed in the USA being around 93.98 Mbps and you are replying with how a lot of people cannot afford a 1 gigabit line? I also talked how the internet will keep improving until we have services like Starlink that will have worldwide coverage.

Last edited:

stizz

Banned
Apr 12, 2019
I see but still some people only have dsl in certain counties in us . fios offer in my state 49.99 for 100 mbs 79.99 - 89.99 gigabit line. I have no internet issues.... I know future is coming and net neutrality what laws were changed in other states we will have difficult pricing on internet and such esp if internet becomes better for people and it is alright to switch. All digital is not anytime soon not with how things are.