Is Gran Turismo a reason why you are getting a PS5?

• Yes, I'm always interested in anything Gran Turismo

• Yes, but only if it is more like the traditional Gran Turismo games

• No, I just don't care for those types of games

Results are only viewable after voting.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Gran Turismo was once the biggest first party game for Sony, but needless to say that racing games (and even more so driving simulators) are not nearly as popular as they once were. Many other first party PlayStation series like God of War, Uncharted, The Last of Us, Horizon, have taken prominence especially now that a new gen is coming next year.The most recent entry, Gran Turismo Sport, kind of distanced itself from the wider audience being aimed at the more competitive, skilled fans of the series and skimping on content at launch. But it ended up definitely redeeming itself after all the things they added (Cars, tracks, rain, etc.) and it is personally one of my favorite games this gen.

For me, it is still a big reason why I'm getting a PS5. Hearing about the tactile feedback demo with GT Sport running on the PS5 made me really excited for the next Gran Turismo and I hope it is going to be out early in the life cycle.

How about you guys? Is Gran Turismo still a reason why you are getting the PS5?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Gran Turisno's still pretty big OP. It hasn't gotten smaller, the other franchises have gotten bigger.

misterBee

Aug 16, 2018
I bought a PS3 because they ported Initial D to it.

I'll buy 2 PS5s if they port another Initial D game. :D

I've always found Gran Turismo boring since the PS2 days.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
GT seems to be a quality product that doesn't resonate with me, at all. I'm somewhat interested in how the team will use the tech, PD often comes up with weird ideas.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Nah because other racers have surpassed GT - the appeal of it isn't there anymore as evident in the massive price drop of GT Sport after a month on the market.

I'm getting it because of Sony's strong first party titles not including GT. They are really good at enabling their studios.

I get my racing fix with other racers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SilverX

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Gran Turisno's still pretty big OP. It hasn't gotten smaller, the other franchises have gotten bigger.

Yeah, it has like 8 million players tracked so it is still popular and successful but that is a far cry from the 15 million sales that a game like Gran Turismo 3 reached which was the best a first party game did for Sony at that point. Now several of Sony's other series are o track to be as big and games like Uncharted 4 and The Last of Us have sold even more than that milestone.

I mean, its just the genre has been on a decline so why would Gran Turismo not be affected as you believe?

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
ehh I'll probably grab GT PS5 eventually but I'm not someone into the series so I won't be getting it until it's on sale. Maybe if they had a Forza Horizon style game I'd get grab that day 1?

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
I'm not a huge racing fan but i really enjoy my team with GT Sport. My nephew and I drive a few laps every few days.

So I'm interested in the next installment, but there are like 100 other reasons why I'm going to get a PS5 anyway. So I don't know what to choose in your poll.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Gran Turismo was always my favorite racing franchise and GT4 was my favorite racing game, at least until Forza Horizon 4. I have not played Sport and its the first one I've ever skipped, if a real sequel to Gran Turismo 6 comes out I'm there day 1, I know Sport has gotten good praise and Id play it had it been on ps plus or like $10 but I have always been a campaign player and Sport doesn't seem to excel in that area, Horizon 4 is a near perfect racing game.

Getting a PS5 and all next gen systems no matter what but I will definitely pick up a GT7

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It makes a pretty big difference to me if the next GT is "7" or "Sport 2".

I like Sport just fine, I think the differences between it today and its predecessors from a single player point of view are somewhat trivial, but I'd show up wallet open if they were making a proper "7", whereas if it were "Sport 2" I'd still be interested but probably later on sale and I'd not buy a system specifically for it.

OP
OP
SilverX

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Is it only backwards, or they're not gonna improve some stuff graphically wise?

Visual updates have yet to be promised as that would require extra work. Spider-Man running on the PS5 was just to show how fast the game loads with the SSD, and GT Sport was used to show off the new PS5 controller features.

Spider-Man may get an update, but GT Sport probably won't given that they most likely want to save the impact of better visuals for a brand new Gran Turismo instead. The game will be three years old when the PS5 launches

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
No, but it's always a visual treat. Can't wait to see what they can to with real-time ray tracing.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
If it's got a lot more of the traditional GT single player stuff then yes. Hoping 'GT7' is actually a thing.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The only racing games I need in my life anymore are Mario Kart and Forza Horizon.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hell no. Can't stand GT games.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
No, because they take forever to put the games out and when they do it's either too late or not what I wanted.

Rippa

Feb 15, 2018
It's one of the many reasons.

Along with God of War 2, Spider-Man 2, Horizon Zero Dawn 2, The Last of Us 2 Remastered, BluePoints Project, Potential Days Gone Sequel. Potential Uncharted series sequel.

Sony's First party is God Tier stuff when compared to the competition.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Gran Turismo does have my loyalty, I will admit, and by extension is makes every PlayStation platform appealing.

And while I do admit that not all of my experiences with the series have been stellar, I do think overall I can credit Gran Turismo for some of the most reliable franchise experiences I've had overall. I may like other more fantastical series more, but Gran Turismo is more of a safe bet than those are, even when GT decides to do something completely new like the initial state of Sport or when it tails behind in features with competing series.

That said, I view Forza and Xbox the same way, with Forza actually now holding the edge if I HAVE TO make a strong decision because Forza Horizon, despite having different gameplay goals, is now my favorite and most enjoyed racing series on the entire market. But GT still has pull for me.

JesseDeya

Oct 27, 2017
Missing the option to say you are getting a PS5 and GT, but not getting a PS5 for GT. That's me.

I'm always technically impressed with GTs, and the post release support has been phenomenal.Unlike so many other racing franchises, Polyphony don't nickel and dime their user base, which I greatly appreciate.

Also - VR. I reckon it'll be a thing again on PS5 GT, and probably more full fledged.

OP
OP
SilverX

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Missing the option to say you are getting a PS5 and GT, but not getting a PS5 for GT. That's me.

I'm always technically impressed with GTs, and the post release support has been phenomenal.Unlike so many other racing franchises, Polyphony don't nickel and dime their user base, which I greatly appreciate.

Also - VR. I reckon it'll be a thing again on PS5 GT, and probably more full fledged.

The first option if for you then. I never said it was THE reason just A reason (one of several reasons) why you are getting a PS5.

OP
OP
SilverX

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Same. I'm not making a new console purchase decision based on a game that won't come out until its fourth year.

So you really expect the next GT to come out 7 years after GT Sport? I mean, they already said they are working on the next Gran Turismo....

GT Sport only came in the fourth year of the PS4 because GT6 was released on the PS3 a month after the PS4 launched.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Unlisted fourth option: No, but I wish it were. I haven't played Sport, but 5 and 6 were so dishearteningly sterile that the series has pretty much lost me.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
the series used to be a staple for me, one of the reasons i would own a playstation. didnt get sport and 5 and 6 just didnt do anything for me. forza has filled the spot that GT used to have for me. and now that forza is available on pc, its basically over for gt. im always open for it though, they just need to put something out that captivates me.

MisterB_66

Oct 27, 2017
I got the GT3 PS2 bundle, got a PS3 when GT5 Prologue launched, have bought both 5/6/Sport on launch day, yeah I will get a PS5 when GT whatever comes out. Also I'm happily surprised the "I want old GT games" isn't winning considering how often that gets written on here (especially from people who haven't played GT Sport).

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't say it's one of the reasons I'll buy a PS5, but I'll probably pick it up if it comes out early enough in the PS5's life.
If it's 2 or 3 years out from launch, I'll probably lose interest.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Poll should have more options, I love racing games but haven't cared for Gran Turismo since 4. If I were to get a ps5 it wouldn't be because of GT but it also ins't because I don't like those types of games.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
100%.. check GT Sport and just think about what they could achieve on the Ps5.. it's going to be insane

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Where is the "No, I like these sorts of games but GT hasn't been a big thing for me since the PS2/3 era"?

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
One of the reasons yes. It will probably be the only racing game apart from crash team racing I'll play.