• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stuart Gipp

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cambridge, England
SPOILER-FREE

Because I'm about 11 hours deep, six of those played yesterday, and I'm struggling to find anything at all I dislike about it. Graphics and sound are basically flawless, but the real meat is in the gameplay, naturally.

In terms of the basic game feel, character movement is smooth and responsive, attack feedback is thrilling (and taking a hit is heartbreaking every single time), even the way you climb the walls feels great.

The systems, the Charms - they feel like an advantage without being gamebreaking or a total power trip and they're managed perfectly. The Soul system balances risk/reward - do you take a long-range shot at this boss or save that Soul for a heal you may not even get space to execute?

The level design - this is the only game of its genre that I feel has handled platforming challenges/obstacle courses to any degree of excellence. The wall-climbing and air-dashing means you always feel mobile enough to tackle what it throws at you, so deaths always feel like your fault. And the map is beautifully stitched together - daunting at first, but genuinely relieving when you find the next Bench or Stag Station, or even an NPC for levity. Better yet, a Merchant. There's so much to find.

The boss battles are heart-in-mouth stuff. Challenge is high but always surmountable. You have what you need to survive and triumph, but they make you work for it.

I think this might be a masterpiece. Production values never feel compromised, it's a dedicated, brilliant game. Maybe it turns to garbage at hour 12, but I strongly doubt it. I mean, this to me is the equivalent of the very best AAA games, the very most thought-provoking art games. It's a 10/10, isn't it?

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I was contemplating making a LTTP thread about Hollow Knight

I'm over 5 hours in my first play through (Switch version). I'm LOVING this game. I can't get enough of it. It's absolutely amazing. I Iove the charm system. Definitely similar to Paper Mario's badges, which I wish more games used. It adds depth without being overly complex.

Team Cherry...just wow. Can't believe such a small team could produce something so brilliant and incredibly polished. Really mind blowing.

Piichan

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
As good as Super Metroid or Symphony of the Night are, Hollow Knight is in my opinion the best metroidvania. Masterpiece.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Obviously a personal thing, but not for me. It's nice and all, but I couldn't force myself to keep playing at some point.

Lilo_D

Oct 29, 2017
Yes for an indie game standard, it have some pace issue but overall it's a masterpiece

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
I played the whole game. It is really, really good. Masterpiece? No, I wouldn't say so for me but definitely one of the best in 2017-2018. It just a taste thing though and I wouldn't go as far as to question the OP's experience. I'm bought it twice once on PC and then on Switch so that tells you something.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Really enjoyed it to the point I got to - and I put in a lot of hours - but it eventually became a chore for me so I never got around to completing it. I can see why other people would though.

I'll still probably get Silksong though!

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
Obviously a personal thing, but not for me. It's nice and all, but I couldn't force myself to keep playing at some point.

I feel the same. Played for a few hours but it felt tedious and uninstalled it, and this is coming from someone which loves the metroidvania genre. I devoured Axiom Verge.
Maybe I'll give it another "chance" later down the line. Masterpiece? No.

Aug 27, 2018
I love "metroidvania" games, and it's just about the only genre I can lose hours if not days to anymore. That being said, Hollow Knight's map system completely turned me off from the game. It felt like there was really something there but the way the map system works in that type of game is very important, and Hollow Knight totally missed the mark with their attempt at it. This probably isn't a sticking point to the "die hard" fans, but it killed the game for me. It plays well though, so there's that.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
It's really good but the map system is fucking trash.

I love "metroidvania" games, and it's just about the only genre I can lose hours if not days to anymore. That being said, Hollow Knight's map system completely turned me off from the game. It felt like there was really something there but the way the map system works in that type of game is very important, and Hollow Knight totally missed the mark with their attempt at it. This probably isn't a sticking point to the "die hard" fans, but it killed the game for me. It plays well though, so there's that.

The game is intentionally made to make you feel totally lost and overwhelmed. Not until you explore, and earn enough Geo, you'll have the means to have an idea as to where to go and where everything is.

Some people don't like that. A friend of mine actually mentioned that to me yesterday while discussing the game. I love it. It really helps evoke that sense of actually being lost in a strange place.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely.

The gameplay is tight and fun, the controls are never the reason for your demise.
The music is on point and i've stopped to just soak up the atmosphere more often than i care to admit
The characters are lovable, horrible, sad and also inspiring
The story/lore is handeled with care and is never stopping your adventure. It's there if you want to.
The graphics/design is creepy but also cozy. Splendor of life but also grim and harsh.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I dropped it after 20 hours because I got stuck, was enjoying it on Switch though. I wasted about half that time wandering around aimlessly lost though which is the point but also not that fun after a while.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Fuck yes it's a masterpiece. It's one of the rare games I'd give a 10/10 to. I think it's simply astounding and I enjoy every single thing about it. I have no gripes or anything bad to say. It's that perfect to me.

Robsolete

Oct 25, 2017
I'm half way through my third playthrough. I've got about 150 hours in the game. It is without even a single flaw and literally gets better with each run. Even Bloodborne, a game I absolutely adore has aspects that I very much would rather not be a thing. Worst I got for Hollow Knight is the Colosseum of Fools is a bit of a bitch.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
I really like it. Only played about seven hours or so, but it's even more amazing knowing it was just made by three people.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I feel the same. Played for a few hours but it felt tedious and uninstalled it, and this is coming from someone which loves the metroidvania genre. I devoured Axiom Verge.
Maybe I'll give it another "chance" later down the line. Masterpiece? No.

I hated running around the same paths over and over again, as I had no fucking clue what to do next. I got so bored, that I played something else and never returned.

Ori on the other hand, while having lots of backtracking, too, was fucking fantastic. That's masterpiece levels for me. As I said, very personal thing.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, one of the very best experiences I've had gaming since the first time I played Super Metroid

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
No way imo. It's well-made but for me it's way too aimless. The game is really bad at giving you an incentive to keep going. What's your goal? I just stopped playing about ~10 hours in because I couldn't find where I was supposed to go next and there was no 'invisible hand' pushing me forward, no story reason to strive towards, nothing except the feeling that things would keep on going in much the same way on and on.
The map system plays a big part here but I found something else lacking, something similar to Dark Souls humanity system or gathering of boss souls and lighting bonfires, i.e. things that make it feel like you're making genuine progress, making travel easier etc. I compare to DS since the game is so clearly inspired by it.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I want to say probably, but I thought it was boring as fuck. That said, I've felt the same way with the vast majority of 2D platformers I've played in the past year or two, so maybe I've just grown bored of the genre when I've gotten older.

Still love Cave Story, though.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Yes it is, and i will be forever salty when nobody but a handful of us cared about it day 1 on pc , sang its praises and were pretty much ignored by the internet at large until the switch release.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, easily the best Metroidvania ever made IMO, and second best game if the generation.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
No, it's way too big, way too long, terribly paced, environments weren't distinct enough and horrible mapping. I dropped it at after like 6 hours and I love Metroidvanias.

I don't understand the love for the game at all.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Yes it is, and i will be forever salty when nobody but a handful of us cared about it day 1 on pc , sang its praises and were pretty much ignored by the internet at large until the switch release.

It was just ERA that didn't give 2 shits about it back then.

Game sold really well and did 1 million copies on PC before it even came out to the Switch and other consoles.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Yep, it's one of the games of the generation and the best Metroidvania ever.

Also, it stays just as good right up until the end.

It's from 2017. It would probably have been my 2018 GOTY if it was from that year though.

When did it release on Switch? I was unaware of it until it came out on that platform. I could've sworn I bought it around Spring last year.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
It was just ERA that didn't give 2 shits about it back then.

Game sold really well and did 1 million copies on PC before it even came out to the Switch and other consoles.

No it wasnt. I remember tweeting about it to both Patrick and Austin from Waypoint for example (which I never do btw, thats how much I cared) and got nothing.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Yes, it's my favorite metroidvania I've ever played. Haven't even got to the Grim Troupe yet!