Status
Not open for further replies.

Cantona222

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
I noticed that IGN is using women's sexuality as clickbait more and more in their recent youtube videos. You can also see from the comments in the below videos that it is working and 90% of the comments are about how she looks and rarely you will find a comment about the video's content. For me it seems more obvious and awkward. Are you ok with that?

One more related thing I want to understand is that the USA is going in a positive trend where sexually harassing women is becoming more unacceptable. However, I see that objectifying women is still going strong. Isn't this a contradiction?

I know that we come from different cultures and religions and that's why I want to listen to the opinion of other people.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
The Daily Fix thumbnails have been pretty cringe-worthy for years. It definitely feels like they're pandering to horny teenage boys.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They got a new host and I'm sure she picks her own attire. It's not like she's randomly in lingerie or something in the thumbnails. Nothing wrong with this as far as I'm concerned.

The YouTube comments are embarrassing, of course. But when are YouTube comments not embarrassing?

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they hire Jessica Chobot BECAUSE of the pic where she's licking a PSP?
I googled that, thanks. It's a Vita.

3iBqqw1.gif

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
OP, sexual harrasment is still a huge problem. What makes you think that it has abated?

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, probably. Kind of like the "hot weather girl" a newsroom might hire to get more viewers to stick around.

Edit: Oh god those comments. Bunch of horny teenagers

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Geek media" loves doing this shit: IGN, Attack of the Show, Nerdist, etc etc. Even as a horny teenager I thought it was creepy as hell.

Broken Joystick

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
England
It's been like that for literally years, though I have to assume the women are fine with it since they are the ones posing for the photo.

YouTube comments are populated by 13-year-olds though so you're not going to find much thoughtful commentary there.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I noticed this as well! I swear they had a guy in muscle shirt recently, so I am not sure if they are branching out to target a wider audience, or if it was just a one off thing.

Edit: I looked at their playlist for the Daily Fix on YouTube and it honestly isn't that bad.

Last edited:

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
I had this same thought seeing these thumbnails on YouTube the other day. It's just weird to see a thread pop up on it. And tbh IGN has been doing this forever so idk why it suddenly caught my attention to the point I was sitting there thinking "Wtf IGN?"

Idk... something about it stood out and gave me pause. I knew exactly what this thread would reference just from the title.

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
It's not a good look, especially when you consider the entrenched toxic masculinity and general misogyny of gamers.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Sexual Harrasment isn't getting better in America, we are merely only acknowledging that it exists now. Long way to go on that front. Just because people on here knows it wrong does not mean the whole US knows it wrong. We are a tiny bubble in a sea of foam.

As far as IGN, they cater to young boys or grown men with a young boys mindset so it's really not that surprising. Nothing out of the ordinary for them.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
its not a good thing, but idk. i don't see it that vastly different than the boob twitch streamers and what not. they've done this for years.

Sgtpepper89

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
It's been like that for literally years, though I have to assume the women are fine with it since they are the ones posing for the photo.

YouTube comments are populated by 13-year-olds though so you're not going to find much thoughtful commentary there.

Exept that those 13 y olds probably really are man children in the ages 20+ ;) Just like all other forums seem to be.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
this and lets players who put a big ass spoiler in the thumbnail are my two biggest pet peeves

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
They just hit 10 million subs on youtube so i think they are doing better than ever

Yeah maybe. But that doesn't mean they don't suck. PewDiepie has millions of subscribers too, he sucks too.

IGN is like the most low effort, kinda of there, vanilla videogame media outlet out there. Even their guides suck. I never understood their popularity or their power to sway people with their reviews.

Alimnassor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup and it's fucking disgusting. Sex has no place in the Video Games Industry. Sex is being used to turn women into objects. Even if she agrees I still find it sad she'd be forced in such a role.

Last edited:

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I guess it's a meme now, there are so many versions:
3390729403_453bac9b7a.jpg

This is the original(as far as I can tell, I got no idea):

I had no idea this exists, and I'll be honest, my life is not richer now.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Feb 25, 2018
I do think they use pretty girls to get more clicks.
I believe the girls in question are mostly fine with it.
I like to look at beautiful women, but I know they are not only that - and here lies the problem. Education and values is the problem.

Too many boys grow up thinking girls mainly or only in terms of looks. I don't think the main education job should be done by IGN, it should be done by parents & schools. More place should be given to intelligent women, scientists, and women of talent, no matter what they look like, but it's youtube we are talking about here. Youtube comments are mostly pure trash.

Alimnassor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do think they use pretty girls to get more clicks.
I believe the girls in question are mostly fine with it.
I like to look at beautiful women, but I know they are not only that - and here lies the problem. Education and values is the problem.

Too many boys grow up thinking girls mainly or only in terms of looks. I don't think the main education job should be done by IGN, it should be done by parents & schools. More place should be given to intelligent women, scientists, and women of talent, no matter what they look like, but it's youtube we are talking about here. Youtube comments are mostly pure trash.

Most aren't and the ones that are have been manipulated into thinking Women are only sexual objects.

Status
Not open for further replies.