• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sox

Oct 27, 2017
I have been curious to listen to his music for a while now but I am struggling to reconcile the awful human being vs the potentially good music he created.
To date I haven't had an issue with Kanye for instance but I feel XXX might be a bridge too far.

OP
OP
sox

sox

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, what about if he wasn't dead. Would that change the equation?

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think there's a universal ethical answer for this. Most people are hypocritical about separating art and artist at some point. If you want to listen it's fine if not it's fine.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
He was a 20 year old kid. If he had lived he would have most likely gone to prison after his trial. He seemed like he was attempting to put more positivity out there towards the end of his life and wanted to turn over a new leaf. We'll never know if he would have been reformed or not now. Dude was a big piece of shit, but he seemed pretty troubled too. I see no problem with checking it out, and if you vibe on it then cool. It's not like his songs are all about how great it is to beat your girlfriend.

I mean christ, Gary Glitter molested children and they still play his hit song at every sporting event in America.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia

That's the thing. He's dead. It's a bit late to be considering what should or shouldn't have been when he was alive. The biggest reason you could give for not supporting him when he was alive no longer applies. The worst thing happening now is his estate (presumably his children) profits from your listen. The man himself no longer can. At this point, it's got more to do with whether you can listen to it without your enjoyment being marred by the thought of what he did.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I mean....just listen to what you want. If you like it, you like it. If the amount you dislike him personally overrides the amount you like his music, don't listen to him. The internet police won't barge in and call you a bad person for listening to his music.

OP
OP
sox

sox

Oct 27, 2017
That's the thing. He's dead. It's a bit late to be considering what should or shouldn't have been when he was alive. The biggest reason you could give for not supporting him when he was alive no longer applies. The worst thing happening now is his estate (presumably his children) profits from your listen. The man himself no longer can. At this point, it's got more to do with whether you can listen to it without your enjoyment being marred by the thought of what he did.
I don't see how his being alive changes whether someone can listen to his music in good conscience changes based on their mortality. Money doesn't really play into it in my mind and neither does death.
I'm curious what he put out while simultaneously realising he was a fuck head. I don't want someone to give the green light because he's dead but I also don't know where I should draw the line on an artist as a product of a person vs the product of an artist.

cervanky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how his being alive changes whether someone can listen to his music in good conscience changes based on their mortality. Money doesn't really play into it in my mind and neither does death. I'm curious what he put out while simultaneously realising he was a fuck head. I don't want someone to give the green light because he's dead but I also don't know where I should draw the line on an artist as a product of a person vs the product of an artist.
What's your system of ethics based on? If it has to do with harm being dealt to another living thing, it's really only an internal thing inside of you given that he's dead. Will the music hurt you? I guess that's up to you, but that isn't something any of us can answer, yeah?

You don't have to enjoy his music. Your knowledge of who he was as a person might impact your experience of listening to his work, and that's totally fair. I'm just not sure where morality comes into play.

OP
OP
sox

sox

Oct 27, 2017
What's your system of ethics based on? If it has to do with harm being dealt to another living thing, it's really only an internal thing inside of you given that he's dead. Will the music hurt you? I guess that's up to you, but that isn't something any of us can answer, yeah?

You don't have to enjoy his music. Your knowledge of who he was as a person might impact your experience of listening to his work, and that's totally fair. I'm just not sure where morality comes into play.
I've never really thought about it in depth to be honest. I guess I need to think personally examine what I consider is ok rather than crowd sourcing an easy answer to justify listening to a couple of albums.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I don't see how his being alive changes whether someone can listen to his music in good conscience changes based on their mortality. Money doesn't really play into it in my mind and neither does death.
I'm curious what he put out while simultaneously realising he was a fuck head. I don't want someone to give the green light because he's dead but I also don't know where I should draw the line on an artist as a product of a person vs the product of an artist.

It doesn't. Your enjoyment or experience of music he produced has absolutely zero bearing on whether you morally agree with his actions.

However, his death precludes anything you can do now being construed as rewarding him for that behavior -- whereas if he was alive, the argument could be made that it's more than a little inappropriate to go around contributing to his financials knowing what he did. His death doesn't mean it's open season, it just means that because you're not supporting him in any real significant way by giving it a listen, you're not likely to get any side eye for trying the tracks out.

To your other point, in fact, I very specifically said in the conclusion of my post that at this point that it has to do with whether or not you can listen to the music without thinking of what he did.

If you can separate that, and make the assurance to yourself that by listening to it that you're not approving of his actions, then you're fine. I personally can't not associate his music with his actions. I couldn't listen to it even knowing that listening to it doesn't mean I approve of him personally. The point being made here is that this is a personal decision. It's not one we can make for you, it really is just up to you at this point.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I tend to attempt to not separate art from the artist as, for me, it shouldn't be

There will always be holes in this for everyone, especially if you're not aware of their personal lives. However I find that those that champion separating art from its creator often do so for selfish reasons rather than any else - they just either don't want to feel the guilt or don't care

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I also don't know where I should draw the line on an artist as a product of a person vs the product of an artist.
you can't figure out where that line is drawn by consensus. the majority of great art was produced by people with dubious morals, but it's possible to appreciate an artists work while simultaneously acknowledging they were an imperfect or even terrible person. or at least it shouldn't be, though it seems to be difficult for some people across all different types of entertainment

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
you can't figure out where that line is drawn by consensus. the majority of great art was produced by people with dubious morals, but it's possible to appreciate an artists work while simultaneously acknowledging they were an imperfect or even terrible person. or at least it shouldn't be, though it seems to be difficult for some people across all different types of entertainment
It's certainly easier to separate the creator the further back in time they existed, but contemporary art/media should really be held accountable given the wealth of information available on how not to be a shit

Fedeuy

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
if you stop doing things on account of how unethical they are, well, you wont be doing much.
What i mean is, dont use a smartphone, dont use google, ect.
So, up to you.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017

To me it comes down to whether they receive my money or not. That's the ethical basis a boycott operates from, and it's ultimately the way in a capitalist world to determine to someone else that whatever that entity/person is doing passes muster for you. If they do, giving them money gives them a means to thrive or survive. If they don't, not giving them money starves the beast and penalizes them for their actions.

I can't help you with XXXTENTACION, but personally I'm eagerly awaiting the day Roman Polanski dies because I feel comfortable giving money to his estate so long as it isn't going to the man himself. If whoever is in charge of his estate are shitbirds too then I guess I'm back where I started however.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Is money really the only question in this?

Music is about expression, how can one connect or enjoy music/lyrics when it's coming from a piece of shit? At least knowingly, difficult if you have no idea

Yes, don't financially support terrible people, I just don't get how this topic seemingly revolves around capitalism rather than the actual art at hand

The Pharmercy

Oct 26, 2017
I don't listen to his stuff but my friend did and she says it helped her in tough times so...idk, he was a shitstain of a person but he dead now.
You're not financially supporting him so whether you like a song casually or in a "it helps me get through the day" way, go nuts.
Just be cognizant of who these artists are as people, because the idea its separate from the art itself is some cowardly bullshit.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Is money really the only question in this?

Music is about expression, how can one connect or enjoy music/lyrics when it's coming from a piece of shit? At least knowingly, difficult if you have no idea

Yes, don't financially support terrible people, I just don't get how this topic seemingly revolves around capitalism rather than the actual art at hand

I suppose it's not entirely. Even if Louis CK were dead and wouldn't receive my money I don't know if I could watch his standup or Louie ever again.

At that point it depends on the artist and whether engaging with their art requires a closer personal connection. Some do, some don't.

Oct 30, 2017
Only song of his I like is SAD! Dude had a unique way on talking about depression. At the same time, it caused people to glorify a real shitty illness.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just do it. We're a planet full of dumb violent apes, nearly everything you consume is made through abuse. Is it ethical to use your smart phone or PS4? because there are child workers getting xxxtentacioned right now mining resources to make your gadgets.

OP
OP
sox

sox

Oct 27, 2017
Well then go ham if that won't stop you.
I don't want to crucify him for what seems to be mental health issues. I just hope he gets help.

To date I hadn't tied ethics to cash but really I hadn't considered what ethics actually is outside of a feeling of good/bad. What's clear to me is, I need to sit down and understand my own beliefs but it is also pretty easy to queue up an album in Spotify and do that after I decide if it's worth it or not.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And if you want to listen to an abusive artist, put that mumble rap down and go listen to a classic Top 5 rapper like NaS.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No.

Fuck mainstream music. Im tired of seeing shit like this being handwaved because its popular. What people like he and Takeshi do should get their shit ripped off the shelves. But instead people like that always get redeemed.

Ill stick to my osts thanks.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, it's unethical. I stopped listening to Crystal Castles because of what was done to Alice Glass. I fucking love Crystal Castles but I'm not gonna tacitly cosign that it's ok as long as the music is good.

Aug 14, 2018
It's up to you. If you feel that the actions of the artist have a negative impact on your enjoyment of music then don't listen, otherwise just separate the artist from the art. I personally feel that my own enjoyment of music would be way too limited if I started boycotting artists based on actual or perceived imperfections of their personalities, actions or viewpoints.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
This nihilistic "everything is fucked, so you might as well consume everything" attitude drives me up the wall.

No I can't control that my phone is made in unethical conditions. I can't not consume fosssil fuels. I can, however, reduce my consumption of both, and actively attempt to.

I don't know what any of that has to do with an artist or company that crosses a line for you, unless you're so nihilistic that you simply have no principles whatsoever or it's easier to just not think about it. Any of us that make principled buying decisions pick and choose our battles. Just because you can't fight everything doesn't mean you might as well fight nothing.

Voting with your wallet is a thing. Boycotts work.