Status
Not open for further replies.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
Saying life is better for progressives right now after stripping roe v wade, and the Supreme Court deeming elections useless next year, and they expect life to continue to get better as time goes on? Really? Lmao. While the GOP continue to target LGBTQ people and people of color. For sure

Go watch a movie from 10 - 20 years ago and listen to the amount of homophonic and transphobic jokes. Representation, diversity and inclusion are topics everyone talks about now. That wasn't the case a few years back and what flew back then would never be accepted now.

Part of the reason why it seems like the bad news is on the rise is that incidents get reported on more. I honestly don't believe the situation is worse. The reason the fascists are making so much noise is in response to the trajectory we are on. Those folks are a shrinking minority when you look at the popular vote outcomes and they can see it happening. They are scared. Trump felt like their last roll of the dice to me. There's as much evidence to suggest things are getting better as there is to say it's getting worse.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Fair enough. AAPI violence over say 20-30 years, I'd be interested in seeing statistics. LGBTQ+, I mean c'mon. It wasn't even much of a conversation 30 years ago. For example, gender identity as a known concept may as well have not existed to 99% of folks. Now it is. RvW, we just can't know impact as decision is so recent.

But anyway I read the post as whether actual widespread irl violence increasing is extreme hyperbole or not. I'm very confident it is. I will reiterate that we shouldn't rest on our laurels as a result. Keep fighting. I am

For AAPI violence, hate crimes are reaching levels not seen in recent years. It's bad out there in a lot of places for AAPI folks.

www.nbcnews.com

Anti-Asian hate crimes increased 339 percent nationwide last year, report says

The report also points out that Black Americans remained the most targeted group in terms of hate crimes.

As far as the LGBTQ+ community, It not being a conversation 30 years ago doesn't mean things aren't currently trending downwards for a few years ago. We have gender-affirming care being criminalized, stochastic terrorism on Twitter and by politicians targeting queer folks as "groomers", and several SCOTUS justices ready to dissolve folks' marriages.

I feel like folks aren't seeing that politicians criminalizing who folks are as violence. It is. Just as stochastic terrorism is.

Milky Way

Oct 29, 2017
Go watch a movie from 10 - 20 years ago and listen to the amount of homophonic and transphobic jokes. Representation, diversity and inclusion are topics everyone talks about now. That wasn't the case a few years back and what flew back then would never be accepted now.

Part of the reason why it seems like the bad news is on the rise is that incidents get reported on more. I honestly don't believe the situation is worse. The reason the fascists are making so much noise is in response to the trajectory we are on. Those folks are a shrinking minority when you look at the popular vote outcomes and they can see it happening. They are scared. Trump felt like their last roll of the dice to me. There's as much evidence to suggest things are getting better as there is to say it's getting worse.

What evidence is there that things are getting better? Better representation in entertainment? Really? Roe V Wade just got over turned, and they are going after gay marriage next, and the Supreme Court is scheduled to over turn democracy next year. How is that comparable? They're a minority but they're fucking winning. I see 0 evidence that things are getting better.

May 26, 2018

We're at the stage where they're putting all the rulings into motion to just end freedom here. Down that road, life doesn't go on. It goes away.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Man this whole "if you're cis/white/male nothing will happen to you" is kind of nonsense. People who get violent when inspired by these sorts of events don't care about what you actually are, their perception doesn't follow these sort of logical rules.

If you're cis/white/male but you dress with jeans that are a bit too tight? "This guy is probably gay". If you have colored hair? "He's one of the queers". If you have minorities in your friends group? If you hang out with them? You think the people who want to harass and hurt them will separate the cis-het white males in the group aside? If it comes to this level of violence then there is no point in saying there's nothing to worry about. Everyone who's in the middle of it can get hurt.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
absolutely. which is why all this talk about seceding is ridiculous. you can't just abandon people

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017

I suppose this is possible. After all even China has achieved measured progress in lifting people out of poverty, and women can drive now in Saudi Arabia. Life is good šŸ˜Š

Status
Not open for further replies.