Status
Not open for further replies.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The last time I upgraded my PC was in 2015, when process of purchasing and installing a new graphics card (970), motherboard, RAM and power supply cost me a total of $700. I felt good about my purchase, despite the steep price, because the perks of PC gaming were plentiful compared to the struggling tech of the original PS4 and XB1.

Flash forward to 2019, and I'm not feeling as confident in plopping down another $500+ when it feels like so many of the PC's defining advantages as a platform have quietly eroded while it's flaws have been magnified. These days, most consoles have access to resolution and performance options, cloud saves, digital flash sales, mods for compatible games, etc. While these features are far from perfect on console, they are slowly being refined with each hardware iteration, leaving PC feeling like a less unique and appealing choice (not to mention being overly expensive by comparison).

Diminishing Advantages:

Cheaper Games: While the era of amazing flash sales on Steam was already gone in 2015, key-resellers were still going really strong. It was common to see most brand-new, AAA games on GMG and cdKeys available to preorder for $40 or less. These days, more and more big publishers like Ubisoft are region-locking their keys, and platforms like the Epic Game Store have a tighter grip on their games' prices than I've seen in the past.

Modding: This is one of the few advantages that still feels largely intact, though it's scope has always been a bit limited. Fewer and fewer games are friendly to modding, with even the most recent Bethesda and Bioware releases being always online and thus mostly un-moddable. Big publishers like Rockstar have tried to kill the massive modding scene for their top title on more than one occasion, while others like Bethesda have attempted to monetize their scene to squeeze extra profits out of other people's work.

Cheats/Customization: Separate from modding, I'd define this as using tools like Cheat Engine to edit your game in more basic and fundamental ways. Things like making enemies more aggressive in Dark Souls, removing class restrictions for skills/weapons in Dragon's Dogma or letting you play as Vergil in DMC5, greatly increasing replay value with little effort. The noose is tightening around this option, as more publishers bake anticheat measures into their games and send cease-and-desists to the creators of cheat tables and trainers (Capcom has done both with Monster Hunter World, Techland added VAC to Dying Light in 2017, etc). Customization, like modding, has also suffered from the rise of always-online games (which often feature a ton of grinding and microtransactions that you could probably skip/invalidate in under a minute with any memory editor).

Growing Flaws:

Inconvenience: Where to even start? The half-dozen different launchers to play each year's big releases? The digital Russian-Roulette of installing Windows 10 updates? I'm sure some true veteran PC gamers (I began in 2007) will say that things have never been easier, but that's more of a statement on how dismal it was in the past than how "good" it is now.

Hardware Prices: They've always been ludicrous, but I feel like the average mid-line GPU releases at $100+ more than it did in 2015. Obviously the crypto boom can be blamed for this, along with Nvidia's relative monopoly over the market, but still. At least decent RAM isn't $200 anymore, right?

Speculative Bullshit: When will we start seeing online multiplayer being locked behind paywalls on certain launchers?

So, am I alone in feeling this way? Or has PC gaming quietly lost a big chunk of its luster this gen?

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love PC gaming more than ever.

Cutting edge graphics and games you just don't get on console.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People have been fearmongering about paywalls for online multiplayer in PC games for over a decade and it still hasn't happened.

The original and biggest advantage of PC gaming is still better graphics and better framerates.

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
Pricing is still king for me. I haven't spent over 40 bucks on a pc game in a long time.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saved PC gaming in 2009 and I will do it again if I have to.

PC gaming am forever d00med.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
lol please point me to a game that can't be bough for cheaper in keys sites

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
The more Japanese and Xbox games they bring to PC, the more the advantages of console gaming diminishes in my opinion. Now that it's so comparably easy to set up and play on a TV, I never would have expected the closest thing to a one console future I'd get would just be my PC.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Modding: This is one of the few advantages that still feels largely intact, though it's scope has always been a bit limited. Fewer and fewer games are friendly to modding, with even the most recent Bethesda and Bioware releases being always online and thus mostly un-moddable. Big publishers like Rockstar have tried to kill the massive modding scene for their top title on more than one occasion, while others like Bethesda have attempted to monetize their scene to squeeze extra profits out of other people's work.
This seems to have declined. Maybe it's wrong by the numbers and just a perception issue but feels like not as many games support modding.

OP
OP
GameShrink

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Pricing is still king for me. I haven't spent over 40 bucks on a pc game in a long time.
lol please point me to a game that can't be bough for cheaper in keys sites
Are you outside of the US? I feel like it's common to see EU versions of games at much lower prices on key stores (Ex. Borderlands 3 EU can be found for close to $40 easily, while the US version is $60 everywhere; US keys for Ubisoft games haven't gone below $50 for new releases in ages, etc).

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
PC gaming is better, more accessible, more affordable, and more popular than it's ever been. wtf is with these doom and gloom threads we get like once a week.

If you think things are bad now, you should've seen how bad they were 10-12 years ago. Literally felt like PC gaming was pretty much dead for a few years there.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I can see where you are coming from OP. I feel PC gaming still has some advantages but, as time as gone on, different aspects such as the whole EGS situation, hardware prices/lack of value like a couple years ago etc, has made the platform much less appealing to me and i have been contemplating going back to consoles.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like it's getting better than ever, especially as Sony and Microsoft start to make their "exclusive" content more widely available, while various traditional console third parties make the jump to PC.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd go the other way with it personally, that the more home consoles become like PC's the more they cede to PC's

Oct 26, 2017
Prices are still low compared to consoles

Publishers tried to kill mods but they failed miserably

Consoles will never access PC graphics features and framerate

Free online and it won't change like ever, Microsoft tried and failed

Cheats are still viable, OF COURSE PUBLISHERS WILL BLOCK CHEATS ON MP GAMES come on now lol

The PC platform is getting every year more games that are not available on all platforms, from AAA titles to unknown indie titles.

This seems to have declined. Maybe it's wrong by the numbers and just a perception issue but feels like not as many games support modding.

That's not true? Three Kingdoms was launched in May and got mod support quickly after, you can mod RE2, DMC V and Sekiro and they don't have "official mod support" and pretty much all the RTS games are moddable on PC.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
"I'm sure some true veteran PC gamers (I began in 2007) will say that things have never been easier, but that's more of a statement on how dismal it was in the past than how "good" it is now."

you're overblowing and overthinking everything. It was never "dismal". You just had some more steps to do than now. Now its mostly automated

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
It's more attractive than ever, all the microsoft exclusives seem to make their way to windows now making the idea of owning an xbox redundant. The inconvenience section is a big wat to me, all you could come up with is that there are multiple launchers and updates? How about the convenience of not having to pay per month to use the internet that you already pay for? Does that not completely make up for the sheer inconvenience of updating your pc and using more than one piece of software?

Oct 25, 2017
Speculative Bullshit: When will we start seeing online multiplayer being locked behind paywalls on certain launchers?
Never. Back in the days of DOS games there was a paid online service called Total Entertainment Network. Then a game called Diablo came out which offered the option of using the paid TEN service or the free Battle.net service. You probably know what happened when such a choice was offered. Only one of them is still up today.

Not having to pay for your internet connection twice (one payment to ISP and the other to console maker) will always be a big advantage for PC.

Are you outside of the US? I feel like it's common to see EU versions of games at much lower prices on key stores (Ex. Borderlands 3 EU can be found for close to $40 easily, while the US version is $60 everywhere).
Borderlands 3 has price-fixing in the US because you don't have retail copies that grey market sites could get keys out of. You can thank Epic for that.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Options/choice has always been the primary advantage, and it's still there in spades. Though things like Epic certainly threaten that a bit.

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Nope, I see it widening. Consoles are really a tailored experience. Multiple launchers doesn't = a disadvantage to me, it's a minor inconvenience at best. Not sure what the "russian roulette of Windows 10 updates" is, I always install updates automatically and never had any issues with any games?

Built a machine in 2013, was playing games on medium-high settings until the end when I rebuilt earlier this year. Couldn't be happier with it. I doubt I'll even get a new Xbox or Playstation as there is really no advantages to having them. Plus I can play tons of games in ultra widescreen at 100fps. Pretty slick. Also PC has full BC for pretty much everything that ever came out on PC (older games have more hoops, but it's still there.) And games are still way cheaper and discounted quicker on PC. Never bought from resellers, but there is still something to buying "every HOMM game ever made for 4.95" that you just don't get on any console.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
There are some points I dont agree with:

Modding: ever since the introduction of Steam Workshop, more and more small devs have seen that it is a selling point and you have seen both a resurgance in modders AND in games that allow for mods. That AAA developers try to move to an always online future which prevents any modification of the games, does not mean that this is getting worse.

Inconvenience: The launcher part is true, but not so much the Windows updates, they are less annoying than they were in previous OS (and now you can finally pause the upgrade which is OK). On the other hand, on consoles they have gone from "perfect conveniance" to same lvl of annoyance as PC.

Hardware prices: that was more true 2 years ago due to crypto boom and AMD sucking major balls, making it so that Intel and Nvidia could just laugh and put high price products. It is changing this year.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I'd say they're growing if anything. There's more traditional console games on the PC than ever before, I can play pretty much everything with a controller, more indies than console. And the online is of course free. The games are always cheaper even if you take aside Steam.

Aren't there far fewer console exclusives than there were at this time last generation?

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
PC never had any advantages, consoles always had that superior 24 filmic framerate that makes games look sleek and cleahn!

Oct 27, 2017
On the one hand yes, but on the other hand buying a PC can save you from buying multiple consoles:
PC now has all Xbox exclusives, all PC exclusives, full 3rd party support and a growing support from Japanese pubs.
So right now you're only missing out on PS and Nintendo exclusives. In other words: a PC + a PS/+ Switch and you're covered.

Oct 28, 2017
PC has:

-An incredible back-catalogue of games, including emulation of other platforms.
-Complete customisation of games, which you'll never get a console (Warframe on Switch is probably the closest you'll ever get to a proper graphics customisation menu on console).
-The ability to play just about anything from anyone, as in your neighbour from down the street could make a game and not need a publisher or money or whatever to push it to the Store. They can upload an exe of their game and get people playing it. Consoles have bigger hoops to go through.
-Peripheral choice. You can hook up pretty much anything, without an adapter, and play with it.

I don't agree with what's in your OP anyway. Pricing is still king on PC, modding still possible even if publishers try and squeeze it out, and cheating with games is still possible if you want to fuck with them on your own level. Inconvenience through launchers? Not as bad as waiting ages for a consoles menu to boot up, or download a game at the crawling speeds many experience via their bloated UI's. And hardware prices? They're a once every few years at minimum purchase. I could still be using my i5 4690k I bought in 2014 today and be seeing no problems, apart from in something CPU intense like Battlefield. It still slew everything, but I replaced it with a 2600 and haven't seen any problems. Cost me £120. I can comfortably still use my 1070 until the end of time, as well, since I only bother with 1080p. Don't need more than that, I feel.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Modding and genre focus are still king for me.

As a fan of indies*, strategy/simulation and management genres, I find PC offers a pretty unique experience quite divorced from console offerings.

Neither is better or worse than the other, I just find PC more suited to my tastes.

* Meaning low-budget indies like Project Zomboid, Kenshi, Overcrowd, Caves of Qud, etc. Not AA indies such as Hollow Knight, Dead Cells, Night in the Woods, etc.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Until baseline for consoles is 60 fps (preferably more), I'll have to stick with PC for the games where that matters (of which there are a lot more than some people are willing to admit).

You can't beat consoles for accessbility/price, though, especially with more and more games supporting kb/m as input, which is the other main reason I'm keeping my PC going forward.

I'm secretly hoping next gen mandates 60fps & kb/m options in every game, in which case I'm ditching my gaming PC entirely.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Free Online.

Graphic options.

Framerates generally higher than console. - I legit forget that some of the AAA games are 30fps.

Game prices. - This is still true, I dont think ive spent over 40 dollars on a PC game since BF4 Premium

I have an Xbox One S - You want to know what suffering is....going from a decently high end PC to console playing the same game but worse in almost every way.

CheatEngine on SP games. I wouldnt mod online games anyway, but SP games after my initial playthrough I almost always tinker with cheat engine.

ReShade and the like. I guess this falls under graphics, something as simple as changing the tone of a game to adding in SSAO makes a dramatic difference to the game experience.

PC gaming Im still sold as shit.

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
PC gaming has the widest attachment, and most variety of games. Nowadays, if there is a game I like from MS such as Ori, then I just buy it on PC instead. And if I want to play an "online" game from time to time, PC is my platform of choice as well. Not a fan of PSN and Xbox Live online pricing structures

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
Are you outside of the US? I feel like it's common to see EU versions of games at much lower prices on key stores (Ex. Borderlands 3 EU can be found for close to $40 easily, while the US version is $60 everywhere; US keys for Ubisoft games haven't gone below $50 for new releases in ages, etc).
Nope, I'm in the US.

Deleted member 7948

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For me it was the other way around. I loved my PS2 and PS3 thanks to their japanese exclusive games like tekken, disgaea, yakuza, final fantasy, tales of, atelier and the list goes on but now I don't even have a PS4.

These days, most consoles have access to resolution and performance options
I'd say most don't. And if you consider the base consoles, then even fewer games do. Locked 60 fps is still a distant dream for most console games, not to mention higher refresh rates.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Nah, framerate alone is enough to stick to PC for now.

The current home consoles are lackluster.

Next gen may reignite the leapfrogging that used to happen with PCs and consoles, but I'm not convinced.

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
Multiple launchers never really bothered me. Takes the same amount of clicks to launch games. It's only a problem if you're running 8GB for some reason.

Personally it just keeps getting better, cryptomining pricing aside. More and more console games launch with PC now. My consoles are pretty much for exclusives only.

Oct 25, 2017
I was replaying Crysis 2 yesterday, taking full advantage of the fact that my PC now is way better than it was at launch. It looks great and runs very well.

The way backwards compatibility works on PC is the main advantage to me, and I don't see it going away so soon. Maybe when we have multiple generations of consoles doing that so we can feel confident that it'll stay that way, then I'll agree.

Prices are also way better in my region, but it's not like I would stop playing on PC if games cost as much as they do on console. It would still be my preferred platform. It definitely allows me to buy more games, though.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I can still play games that I bought 15 years ago on the same platform. I can play at a high refresh rate. I can use whatever input device works best for the game that I'm playing (see more below). I can customize my build exactly as I need to or want to. 99% of games look and run better on PC. Oh, and it has games on it that just don't work on console. Even with all of Epic's bullshit, the PC platform is still by far and away the most open platform.

As for the input devices... I love being able to choose what device that I use. If I need absolute precision then I can use my mouse. If it's an action game that makes heavy use of shoulder buttons, I can break out the DS4. If it's a racing game I can break out and xbox controller. I can use whatever works best for me. I'm not forced into using a controller that I don't like with a particular genre (DS4 with shooters and racing games for example).

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
You have backwards compatbility, mod support (Steam workshop/Nexusmods - where is the console equivalent?), ability to hack your saves, no region locking, no DRM options, abiltiy to use any controller on any game, ability to use reshade and change your game aesthetic entirely. And then, access to a whole set of genres that are wholly unsuited for console play.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I see it the opposite: "advantages of console gaming diminishing".

Used to be consoles had lots of exclusives and PC had lots of shitty ports. Not the case at all now.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
VR and PC only titles mean that I'll not be able to stop gaming a hell of a lot on PC for the foreseeable future.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
You recommend it? I can't decide if I should wait to upgrade to 1440p in a year or so or get a 144hz monitor now at 1080p.

Yeah, totally. I bought a 1440p144hz one and I think I'm good for 5 years at least, when 4k144 becomes feasible (and affordable). At 24" image looks phenomenal and GSync is my biggest upgrade since getting a SSD.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
It's also the best starting point for VR at this stage. PSVR has good software, but it's extremely dated and doesn't have nearly the amount of creativity and exclusive stuff as PC VR. I bought a PS4 Pro recently for VR, and it was great, but I regret not putting that towards a better PCVR experience due to how much worse PSVR is.

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
While sale prices don't cut as low as they used to, I'm still pleased to see the enormous leap in support Japanese games are getting on the platform now, where they are relatively safe for all time. Lots of new Japanese titles releasing day and date, and lots of old series being slowly released (Yakuza), and old games getting new life, (Grandia coming soon!)

I'll probably be grumbling the next time I need to upgrade parts, but in the meantime, I love the variety and quality of titles releasing every day.

Oct 29, 2017
To me it always comes down to the PC having better games for my taste, other advantages are just a bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.