• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
I used to only hear the word partner used when I was with an LBGTQ friend but over the years I've heard it more and more from hetero couples. I think it's well-intentioned but I also know this could be one of those things that isn't well received in the LGBTQ community.

The omission of a poll is intentional, I want to hear opinions.

An example of the discussions around this subject.

Last edited:

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

(No, it's not offensive).

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A couple families walked out when my dad was preaching cause he called my mom his partner.

He then proceeded to use their bigotted selves as examples.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
From my hetereo-understanding, hetereo couples who say it do so in order to be inclusive to people with non-binary or LGBTQ+ partners or those who are within those distinctions.

So it's probably the furthest thing away from being offensive, imo.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like thats been a term used for any couple in any sort of relationship for decades and decades and decades, not just somewhat recently

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
If you don't take the opportunity to say "well, howdy, pardner" to your pardner at least once a day then why are you even pardnered in the first place, is what I say

astro

Oct 25, 2017
This has never, ever been a problem from anyone I know in the LGBTQ community.

We do not own that word in any way

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't find it offensive but I do find it kind of weird. I've heard it's apparently more common in British English.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Not offensive but I'd be lying if it doesn't confuse me as my brain is wired to think partner = same sex / queer coupling.

staedtler

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yes, time to get outraged and start a twitter campaign #straightpeopleshouldntusethewordpartner

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I been saying partner longer then most people here have been alive. Nobody owns that particular noun.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
How you gonna make that still fresh Borat joke if you don't call her your wife.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
No, not at all. A male friend of mine and his partner, a woman, have lived together for ~20 years, they have a 12 year old daughter, but they don't believe in getting married, so he calls her his partner... And they have a civil union and whatever rights are afforded to married couple under the state.

Although I'll be honest, when I first met him and he mentioned his partner to me, I thought to myself "Oh, I didn't know David was gay..." And then I met his partner and thought to myself "oh... David's gay lover is a woman..." And then slowly my simple brain put it all together.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
It sounds more adult than boyfriend/girlfriend. I'd guess that's why most hetero people would use it.

Bobcat Fancy

Jul 21, 2019
No, but it's kind of funny. Just use a different, less ambiguous word, IMO.

I doubt almost anyone actually thinks this is offensive, but there are billions of people on this planet. A slightly larger number of people will make fun of straight people doing this for favs or RTs, because it's perceived as corny, unnecessary, and perhaps a bit obfuscatory. V. hard to stop people from seeking engagement on twitter. If you want to do it (anything, "using 'partner'" "mining those favs") I say go for it.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
It's slightly jarring when I hear it because of the usual social norms. That and I usually only hear hetero couples say it when they're rather liberal.

It's not offensive, though. I don't give a damn what you call your other half, that's up to you guys.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Not offensive but I'd be lying if it doesn't confuse me as my brain is wired to think partner = same sex coupling.
Think about it this way: I'm a straight male. What if I get in a relationship with a non-binary person who was coined a woman at birth. They no longer identify as a woman; they don't use female gendered pronouns. What am I to refer to them as? Girlfriend, wife? Neither of those make sense because the person does not identify as a woman.

And clearly, if I'm going to use female gendered pronouns or descriptors for them, I'm not fit for that relationship anyway, so I wouldn't do it. The only viable terms would be spouse, significant other, or partner.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
I call my girlfriend my partner because we've been together for 6 years and we're basically a married couple without the legalities.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. I'm in a Hetero relationship. We're against marriage but we've also been together too long for just 'boyfriend and girlfriend'. Partner is our preferred term.

Deleted member 15227

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From my hetereo-understanding, hetereo couples who say it do so in order to be inclusive to people with non-binary or LGBTQ+ partners or those who are within those distinctions.

So it's probably the furthest thing away from being offensive, imo.

People just say it because they can. No agenda. The LBGQ+ community doesn't and never did have ownership on this word. No one does.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've never known it to be specific to gay couples.
Even if it were it's a bit of an odd phrase to be protective over and I can't see why it would be offensive at all.

Edit: I'm from the UK where apparently it's more common. Didn't even occur to me that it would be a regional thing.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
My wife uses it regularly, solidarity from pre-Obergefelle days specifically in her mind.

Deleted member 225

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's annoying because it implies they're queer, but they're not - they just want to be special lol
lmao what

people have been calling their loved ones "partners" for a long time, it's just more common with gay people, probably because they get dirty looks when using "girlfriend", "boyfriend", "husband", "wife", etc.

I don't know one gay person who would find it weird or annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.