Status
Not open for further replies.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
but how would we get funny threads asking if it was 'high key brilliant' that nintendo is using last-gen tech???

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling it's going to be a good bit stronger than steam deck when docked, and slightly less powerful in handheld, if it's weaker than the deck in both cases that will be pretty disappointing esp considering the deck will have released 2 years ago

I don't see it having a SSD though that's for sure

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea what power consumption+gaming power combinations would be realistic with the chip.

Here's some power consumption estimates. (the TFLOPs here are just guesses/ranges, 12 SMs / 1536 CUDA / 8 core CPU are leaked / public info), I think this is based on an Orin power estimation tool so just a ballpark.

View: https://twitter.com/Syferz/status/1572809325017722880?s=20

I don't quite know what you mean by 'gaming power'. The ballpark is >=PS4 I guess, ~PS4 Pro docked with DLSS, better CPU.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hate to admit this as a Nintendo fan, but ever since I got the deck I'm pretty much buying all my non nintendo games on there, deck is amazing

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
The deck is what is for a variety of reasons. It's ultimately a portable PC with all the trappings and requirements that come with that. Switch 2 getting bespoke ports/development rather just being compatible with a PC release is going to go a lot further from a performance perspective.

I think what we know about the t239 is enough to guess that the Switch 2 in docked mode will outperform the deck handily though. Even in keeping the exact same clock speeds as the original Switch. Handheld is a bit up in the air until we know the clock speeds.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why is zombie posting that on Twitter instead of here? Does he not post here or famiboards anymore?

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
The T239 SoC should be able to match it according to it's leaked specs (before DLSS) so the only question now is at which clocks it'll run and when it'll release.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I think even $500 is too high of a ceiling for pricing. It absolutely needs to be under $400. So adjust your expectations accordingly.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
In docked form I'd expect it to outperform the Deck, and if DLSS support is in there may be negligible differences in handheld performance as devs will be able to target much lower internal resolutions.

Ckoerner

Aug 7, 2019
Last edited:

Siri

Nov 7, 2017
As others mentioned, such specs are possible at $500 at mass production, but I don't think Nintendo would attempt to sell a console for $500. The only console they ever released near $500 after adjusting for inflation was the NES. I think it'll be around $349-$399.

Either way, if there's any sense (I know, Nintendo and all that), they'll cut a deal with Nvidia to get some tensor cores in there and have a decent DLSS-based upscaling solution. Something like 720p in handheld with an OLED, with options to scale to 1440p/4k when plugged into the dock. Catering to 720p60 Means they can keep the actual handheld small and light, too.

It won't have the raw power as a Steam Deck at that price as they'll likely keep to whatever ARM solution Nvidia suggests to retain compatibility and keep it perfectly power efficient, but it's like the same situation the Steam Deck is in when you put that up against desktop computers - 'Good enough' goes a long way, especially if you put that hardware in an appealing form factor and it runs the games you've already got.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Either way, if there's any sense (I know, Nintendo and all that), they'll cut a deal with Nvidia to get some tensor cores in there and have a decent DLSS-based upscaling solution. Something like 720p in handheld with an OLED, with options to scale to 1440p/4k when plugged into the dock. Catering to 720p60 Means they can keep the actual handheld small and light, too.
there's already tensor cores and RT cores. it'd be more expensive to remove them

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
At $500? Yeah easily. Will they? Dunno, we'll need to see about quite a few things before we can really judge.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
The real thing that'll make or break Switch 2s cost is what it is going to do for onboard storage.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Switch was 300 at launch they arent going to jump to 500 from that, it will be 400 at most if they increase price

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Also how are mobile chips suddenly able to do almost 4 teraflops with low watts (from zombies Twitter post), there's not any mobile chip close to that now besides apple, its going to be that big of a jump in just a few years?

Why can't meta quest 3 have this many Tflops if this is the case, it's supposed to only be around 2 Tflops

I think his numbers are off

If that's possible by the end of this year quest 3 specs would be much higher imo I don't see a quest having 1.8 Tflops for 400$ and then a switch 2 having 3.2 Tflops docked for the same price

If I'm not mistaken steam deck had the fastest mobile chip outside of apple when it released just 1 year ago, so switch 2 will be able to double it's performance just 2 years later?

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also how are mobile chips suddenly able to do almost 4 teraflops with low watts (from zombies Twitter post), there's not any mobile chip close to that now besides apple, its going to be that big of a jump in just a few years?

Why can't meta quest 3 have this many Tflops if this is the case, it's supposed to only be around 2 Tflops

I think his numbers are off

If that's possible by the end of this year quest 3 specs would be much higher imo I don't see a quest having 1.8 Tflops for 400$ and then a switch 2 having 3.2 Tflops docked for the same price

If I'm not mistaken steam deck had the fastest mobile chip outside of apple when it released just 1 year ago, so switch 2 will be able to double it's performance just 2 years later?
bro, mobile chips progressed hella fast. Apple isn't even the king in mobile gpus anymore, Qualcomm is. the Adreno 760 is around GTX 1050 levels now

why the Quest doesn't have these chips, you have to ask Facebook. the hardware is there, but they're not using it.

and the Steam Deck is more of a laptop chip than a mobile one. and it's not even the best AMD has to offer. Drake beating it in game performance isn't that weird

Cali32

Oct 11, 2020
I think so. My hope is $399 for
  • 8 cores 1.5Ghz-2Ghz
  • 1.5TFs portable
  • 16GB LPDDR5
  • 64GB flash (sorry)
  • 7.3 inch 720p LCD (sorry again!)

But i am kinda also expecting 8GBs only, 1TFs

I can't see it using 16GB probably 12GB tops. However, they might employ LPDDR5x instead of LPDDR5 for considerably larger bandwidth which would help tons for docked mode when trying to push higher resolutions via DLSS upscaling.

Furthermore, nand prices have cratered in the past few months so I can see the next switch having at least 128 - 256GB of nand flash (e.g. anecdote but I literally bought 256GB Samsung micro-sd for my switch oled for 20 euro, nintendo will get such capacity for 5 euro if I had to guess), and the LCD screen is not worth it since low resolution mobile OLED display are very cheap nowadays when bought in volume like nintendo does.

Based on this my prediction for the specs is:

• 8 cores 1.5 - 2Ghz
  • 1.4 - 1.6 TFs portable / 4TF in dock mode
  • 8 - 12GB LPDDR5x
  • 128- 256 GB nand flash
  • 7-inch OLED screen

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
bro, mobile chips progressed hella fast. Apple isn't even the king in mobile gpus anymore, Qualcomm is. the Adreno 760 is around GTX 1050 levels now

why the Quest doesn't have these chips, you have to ask Facebook. the hardware is there, but they're not using it.

and the Steam Deck is more of a laptop chip than a mobile one. and it's not even the best AMD has to offer. Drake beating it in game performance isn't that weird
I don't see a mobile chip being around half the power of ps5 just 3 years after it came out, if this is the case companies need to start releasing stand alone VR headsets with these chips

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see people keeping realistic expectations about upcoming Nintendo hardware as usual

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure the Deck is a loss-leader subsidized by the Steam Store - Which by default rules-out Nintendo even thinking about parity since they're fairly strict about profiting-on-hardware, particularly considering the large "Only buy 1st Party/Exclusives" segment of the audience for their hardware which makes "Subsidize hardware with software royalties" less viable.

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
I can't wait for the Switch 2. Not because I necessarily have to have one but so we can finally ease up on the damn speculation threads lol

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Glad to see people keeping realistic expectations about upcoming Nintendo hardware as usual

We have a set of feasible specs based on stolen data from Nvidia. Even at its lowest bounds, it's a generational leap over the Switch - which is to be expected more than six years later. At best it's still weaker than the Series S. So I don't see anything particularly unrealistic.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see a mobile chip being around half the power of ps5 just 3 years after it came out, if this is the case companies need to start releasing stand alone VR headsets with these chips
if I remember correctly, that was from using the Orin power tool. it's theoretical, but 1536 isn't that far from the PS5's 2304 cores. that said, I don't expect those numbers at all. my max expectations for docked clocks is 921MHz, or around 3TFLOPs

vrietje

Dec 4, 2018
Well I guess Nintendo targets a bigger volume than valve. So that could make the part prices lower.

vrietje

Dec 4, 2018
I can't see it using 16GB probably 12GB tops. However, they might employ LPDDR5x instead of LPDDR5 for considerably larger bandwidth which would help tons for docked mode when trying to push higher resolutions via DLSS upscaling.

Furthermore, nand prices have cratered in the past few months so I can see the next switch having at least 128 - 256GB of nand flash (e.g. anecdote but I literally bought 256GB Samsung micro-sd for my switch oled for 20 euro, nintendo will get such capacity for 5 euro if I had to guess), and the LCD screen is not worth it since low resolution mobile OLED display are very cheap nowadays when bought in volume like nintendo does.

Based on this my prediction for the specs is:

• 8 cores 1.5 - 2Ghz
  • 1.4 - 1.6 TFs portable / 4TF in dock mode
  • 8 - 12GB LPDDR5x
  • 128- 256 GB nand flash
  • 7-inch OLED screen
Series s is also 4TF right?
So what could a 4TF console + DLSS be capable of 1440p with dlls? Upscaled to a 4K signal?

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
It doesn't need to match the Deck in specs.

DLSS, no windows, native ports, and so on.

We'll be eating fine.

Last edited:

Cali32

Oct 11, 2020
Series s is also 4TF right?
So what could a 4TF console + DLSS be capable of 1440p with dlls? Upscaled to a 4K signal?

4K with DLSS performance mode, basically 1080p native upscaled to 4K via DLSS which is comparable to 1440p native or maybe even better (someone correct me if I'm wrong here).

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
This thread reminds me of the NX discussions with people expecting Nintendo's handheld console to somehow be more powerful than a PS4 back in 2016/2017.

Some of y'all need to take a thermodynamics class.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
if I remember correctly, that was from using the Orin power tool. it's theoretical, but 1536 isn't that far from the PS5's 2304 cores. that said, I don't expect those numbers at all. my max expectations for docked clocks is 921MHz, or around 3TFLOPs
Going by console generation cycles, on paper consoles have generally been 6 times stronger than the previous ones in recent generations

If the same is applied to switch 2 on paper it would be around 2.3 Tflops docked and 1.2 Tflops portable

That's my best case expectation

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I want to say the two won't be very comparable, because Switch 2 versions of games probably aren't going to be making the processor go at full blast.

You can't compare the Deck to the Switch 2 so directly.

Steam Deck needs to run Windows games through a compatibility layer on a desktop Linux OS. Even with a stripped down lighter version of the OS, or with Steam Deck 'optimized' games, they are still beholden to these layers.

Switch 2 will get native ports, it does not need to match the Steam Deck in on paper performance for games to perform comparably or even better. Add DLSS and that will further complicate the comparison.

It will also enjoy the benefits of ARM vs x86, and greater economies of scale, reducing power consumption and price.
I mean, you can install Windows on a Steam Deck and the performance difference between the two OS's is negligible. Hell, Linux often runs a smidge better.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Small correction. The OG Switch is .66 pounds or about 300 grams.

www.nintendo.com

Technical Specs - Nintendo Switch™ - System hardware, console specs - Nintendo - Official Site

Get the detailed specs for the Nintendo Switch™ – OLED Model, the Nintendo Switch, and the Nintendo Switch Lite systems, plus Joy-Con controllers, and more.
Not a fair comparison to choose the mass without the joycons. It's going to be 400 grams in a practical use comparison.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
How is it "fabled"? It's well known ARM chips are more efficient than x86. It's why every mobile/IoT device has an ARM chip. Why Apple now powers their laptops with them and can achieve crazy battery life

There's some uncertainty though as to how much of that is inherent to ARM as an instruction set and how much is Apple just having the best designs, optimizing their OS for a single architecture, and also paying TSMC for a one-node process advantage. It's not obvious that everyone else's ARM chips will be that much better than AMD's x86 designs, esp for something that needs to run 3D games on a GPU constantly.

One obvious example here is Qualcomm ARM chips running Windows, which show very little efficiency benefit as far as I've seen. Certainly nothing like the jump on the Apple side, where you're getting performance and battery life improvements simultaneously at a given power draw. So it's not as simple as "ARM >>> x86".

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, you can install Windows on a Steam Deck and the performance difference between the two OS's is negligible. Hell, Linux often runs a smidge better.

My comparison isn't really "Linux vs Windows" but rather "native ports vs. ports running through compatibility layer". Linux games on Steam OS run better than the Windows version running through Proton, on the same OS. That the performance difference between the OS's is negligible is a testament to how well they customized Arch and how much work they put into Proton, but regardless, Switch 2 games will be native and not have to deal with this.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depending on the price that sounds fine by me.
I don't think we are getting a 4TFLOP machine anyway

Going by console generation cycles, on paper consoles have generally been 6 times stronger than the previous ones in recent generations

If the same is applied to switch 2 on paper it would be around 2.3 Tflops docked and 1.2 Tflops portable

That's my best case expectation
that could never be applied to nintendo anyway, so it's not a great measure to use. we don't know how this will be clocked and what the power consumption will be so all this is just guesses and desires. I stick to the Switch clock speeds for that reason.
  • lowest possible Switch clock (306MHz) - 940GFLOPs
  • high possible handheld clock (480MHz) - 1.4TFLOPs
  • docked switch clock (768MHz) - 2.4TFLOPs
  • highest possible docked clock (921MHz) - 2.8TFLOPs

Status
Not open for further replies.