• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Boycotts do work when they reach a critical mass. You'd have to ignore things civil rights boycotts and disruptive sit ins to believe boycotts don't work. EVO reacts because the potential that they lose business if they don't react. Boycotts haven't worked well in video games because the consumers don't participate in boycotting. Awareness is useless if it doesn't produce or threaten widespread action

Yes, I'm only talking about entertainment here. It never works for games, music and movies.

1000 Needles

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
??? Never once in my life have I given money for anything related to Michael Richards.

Perhaps not, but you expressed disgust at those who voted yes in the poll for daring to enjoy content created by companies/people while not endorsing their problematic actions. By using a Kramer avatar, it's a reasonable assumption that you like the character - which hmmm, seems an awful lot like enjoying content produced by someone with a problematic history.

So enjoy your woke points, and then fuck outta here with your hypocrisy

Artifice

Oct 30, 2017
The more I think about it, the more I am concerned where to draw the line. I abhor crunch, but is it at the same level as sexual harassment? Are there bad apples in a tree? yes, always... but are all the apples in a tree bad? How do you decide?

Just for argument's sake, let us assume that the company only has a few bad apples but maybe at the top who muddy the waters and they are tolerated within the company for whatever reason. Does it mean that everyone in the company is aiding and abetting them in their behavior?

Maybe, you can answer no to the above question or maybe you are indifferent because it is only a few guys. But would you still be able to overlook it or be indifferent if it was your wife, sister, daughter or mother who gets sexually harassed? Maybe it was just plain old regular bullying or racism, but now directed against you or your family instead of unknown faces. How would you feel then? Can you be still indifferent?

That is is what keeps bothering me. Where to draw the line?

Sorry for the long post... I was just pondering aloud right there.

Chaystic

Mar 2, 2020
Switzerland
The Harry Potter game poll showed that people here also dont give a damn about trans people here if it gets in the way of vida games. People here cant even agree to not put money into a terfs pocket and mods have asked not to make polls like yours anymore because it shows marginalized groops on era just how much some people here despise them yet you still made your poll.

Edit:
Everyone that voted the first option in your poll should eat a ban.

You're insane for suggesting that, might as well close Resetera then.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
there's no such thing as ethical consumption in capitalism.
Can't say what I'm doing is perfect but at least I'm trying to minimise my footprint so to speak.
I probably would have bought and enjoyed THQN games but their transgression is so appalling that I won't ever bother looking at anything with their logo now.
Ubisoft is down that drain now.
Weird part is that EA is probably one of the most "ethical" one around and I can't fathom having any interest in the games they make.

If I were to view my consumption it would probably be like alcohol or gas, I fucking hate what it does to our society yet I can get how "fun" it can be and limit my purchase to small productions when I can.
I'd say that Nintendo communicating that they delay Animal Crossing because they don't want to crush their employees may be PR but that's the kind of PR line I would love to hear more.

I never had much faith in the gaming public before (however how hardcore they claimed to be) but I can't say I expected my faith to drop some more and yet here we are.

Oh and Harry Potter is dead to me, pretty formative book to me in more ways than one but I'll be damned if I ever willingly throw cash at someone as publicly abhorrent.

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Perhaps not, but you expressed disgust at those who voted yes in the poll for daring to enjoy content created by companies/people while not endorsing their problematic actions. By using a Kramer avatar, it's a reasonable assumption that you like the character - which hmmm, seems an awful lot like enjoying content produced by someone with a problematic history.

So enjoy your woke points, and then fuck outta here with your hypocrisy

Yeah there is a reason they bailed out the thread the soon as I asked them how they managed to watch Seinfeld without adverts

SimonSimon

Alt Account
Mar 26, 2020
I think the concept of "no ethical consumption under capitalism" has been warped beyond recognition. It's become a way to shut down any conversation about how to be a more ethical consumer.

But on the other hand, I think we have a tendency to overindex on purchasing choices as the metric for morality. Instead of "no ethical consumption under capitalism," the main problem is "no ethics except consumption under capitalism." Meaning, capitalism tries to locate morality completely within purchasing choices.

So, sure, boycotting can be an effective tool. But a lot of individual purchasing choices outside the realm of boycott end up being about what makes you feel good, not about the actual ethical impact.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Harry Potter game poll showed that people here also dont give a damn about trans people here if it gets in the way of vida games. People here cant even agree to not put money into a terfs pocket and mods have asked not to make polls like yours anymore because it shows marginalized groops on era just how much some people here despise them yet you still made your poll.

Edit:
Everyone that voted the first option in your poll should eat a ban.

This post really isn't as wrong as people are making it out to be either. I think it's a stretch to say that it clearly shows that people don't care about trans people at all, but it does feel very tasteless for people to make polls or to ignore JK Rowling's transphobia entirely in threads about it to talk about how excited they are for the game. The truth is, people tell us, including trans people affected by her comments, that boycotting her game won't work. That it's punishing the developers, or that we're over reacting, or just reading into it too much. When the truth is that people are rarely speaking up for us as it is.

J.K. Rowling is not just your run of the mill transphobe, she is one with a massive audience and she is repeatedly pushing for us to be pushed into conversion therapy, for laws to be created against us, all while pushing articles about how deranged they are. People like to dump on the idea of boycotting to send a message, but they never offer alternatives that have any real meaningful impact. Now, if these issues were directly about downgrades like Puddlegate in Spider-Man or so many other games, it would have so many more people on this forum up in arms. And that is why trans people feel that we aren't supported here, because we're not blind and we can see the difference in what really makes people upset on this forum.

Yeah there is a reason they bailed out the thread the soon as I asked them how they managed to watch Seinfeld without adverts

Well, I mean. If they said how, they would catch a ban immediately.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The mods haven't locked the thread or raised issue with the poll, so at present at least you're objectively wrong

If you believe everyone on Era has problematic views then by your own logic wouldn't you boycott the site?

I don't think you should, but it's why I think it's flawed to have such an absolute view of things. If you absolutely believe everyone's here who buys Cyberpunk or Harry Potter does not care at all about a marginalised group, then how would you be able to support the site?

I don't think I'm going to get the Harry Potter game because JK keeps on digging and it's personally crossed my line, but I think it's absurd to assume people who do get the game all share the same monolithic belief that her views are correct

I think it's possible for someone to get the game and still vocally challenge her on her views and on the harm they cause.

I'm not saying you're wrong to have you opinion, but I am glad you're not a mod

Perhaps you should look at the official staff communication to polls like this. And yes If you buy these games you are supporting the ideals of the people behind them. If you cant even admit that then I dont know what to tell you.

Official Staff Communication
Threads like this are an example of why this forum feels hostile, daunting and unwelcoming to minority voices. The poll results were embarrassing. If you do not understand an issue, then that is an opportunity for you to sit and listen to the lived experiences and perspective of the affected group of people, not an opportunity to dismiss and talk down to them. It is not solidarity or allyship to say "I support you, but only up until this point".

The video game industry has been called out for many reasons recently. One of those reasons is anti-black racism, and the lack of black voices in every single corner of the industry. That includes voice acting. The fact that the most prominent voice actors are white is not a coincidence. The fact that white people are picked for minority roles is not a coincidence. To say that white people were chosen all of these times because they were the best person for the role is to imply that people of colour are simply not talented or good enough. No, rather, it is indicative of a problem within the industry itself.

Posts that are dismissive of this fact, or try to deflect, or play whataboutism, or invoke false equivalences with minorities voicing white characters will be banned. If you see any posts that we may have missed while cleaning up, please report them. Thank you.

Additionally, we have removed the poll for a few reasons, though it was likely added with good intentions. Minorities are called minorities for a reason. Often, views that are supportive of them will not be the majority opinion. Not only is it demoralising to see just how dismissive a large segment of the forum is towards you, it can be used as a silencing tactic despite it being meaningless. For that reason, we have to advise against adding them for threads such as these.

Also assuming the head rapist of the old place did not purge the topic you should check out my Iggy's wreaking balls topic on the old place to see that I am willing to drop a site thats has a rotten core. The mods here seem to be good people and there are good posters here.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Capitalism is so rotten to the core that if buying a product means I endorse the company it would I am pro slavery just for owning a phone and some clothes. Every single big company sucks dick.

Of course if the product itself is toxic and promotes bad ideologies, thats different. Thats not the company, thats the actual thing youre buying.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You're insane for suggesting that, might as well close Resetera then.

Official Staff Communication
Threads like this are an example of why this forum feels hostile, daunting and unwelcoming to minority voices. The poll results were embarrassing. If you do not understand an issue, then that is an opportunity for you to sit and listen to the lived experiences and perspective of the affected group of people, not an opportunity to dismiss and talk down to them. It is not solidarity or allyship to say "I support you, but only up until this point".

The video game industry has been called out for many reasons recently. One of those reasons is anti-black racism, and the lack of black voices in every single corner of the industry. That includes voice acting. The fact that the most prominent voice actors are white is not a coincidence. The fact that white people are picked for minority roles is not a coincidence. To say that white people were chosen all of these times because they were the best person for the role is to imply that people of colour are simply not talented or good enough. No, rather, it is indicative of a problem within the industry itself.

Posts that are dismissive of this fact, or try to deflect, or play whataboutism, or invoke false equivalences with minorities voicing white characters will be banned. If you see any posts that we may have missed while cleaning up, please report them. Thank you.

Additionally, we have removed the poll for a few reasons, though it was likely added with good intentions. Minorities are called minorities for a reason. Often, views that are supportive of them will not be the majority opinion. Not only is it demoralising to see just how dismissive a large segment of the forum is towards you, it can be used as a silencing tactic despite it being meaningless. For that reason, we have to advise against adding them for threads such as these.

genericbrand

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, I'm only talking about entertainment here. It never works for games, music and movies.

So I think they do kind of work just they take longer because the community is not cooperative or caring. It took forever for Polanski to be ostracized from Hollywood but it happened when he became a liability. Now he's finally looking to be a liability in France. To me it's like Weinstein, he doesn't fall because just because women spoke out - before they'd just be ignored because there was no risk accepting his support and financing -, it's because women spoke out and they gained widespread support that threatened financial backlash. To me that threat of financial backlash is what is missing in video games consumption land and should be something worked towards having. Film didn't have that threat of financial backlash until recently because the public rarely supported women coming out with their rape experiences until recently. It's missing in video games. It took a century for the public to actually start showing support against Hollywood protectionism. That support that is not impossible to ever get in video games but apathy and self-directed defeatism will make the process longer

Last edited:

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
There's an infinite number of lines out there, infinite number of horrible issues that hinge on everything we do every day. As individuals we can't keep track of all those lines, ideally as a society we should be able to, but as individuals we only have so much time and priorities. The best you can do is ask people to not get in your way of the fight, but don't be surprised if they can't join in cause they have their own battles and circumstances.

Last edited:

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
There is no ethical consumption under capitalism. Its impossible to not directly contribute to the harm of others in a capitalist society. I think it's important to try the best you can to do the right thing and not support the most egregious examples, but if I boycotted every company that did something shitty I'd never be able to buy anything again.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This post really isn't as wrong as people are making it out to be either. I think it's a stretch to say that it clearly shows that people don't care about trans people at all, but it does feel very tasteless for people to make polls or to ignore JK Rowling's transphobia entirely in threads about it to talk about how excited they are for the game. The truth is, people tell us, including trans people affected by her comments, that boycotting her game won't work. That it's punishing the developers, or that we're over reacting, or just reading into it too much. When the truth is that people are rarely speaking up for us as it is.

J.K. Rowling is not just your run of the mill transphobe, she is one with a massive audience and she is repeatedly pushing for us to be pushed into conversion therapy, for laws to be created against us, all while pushing articles about how deranged they are. People like to dump on the idea of boycotting to send a message, but they never offer alternatives that have any real meaningful impact. Now, if these issues were directly about downgrades like Puddlegate in Spider-Man or so many other games, it would have so many more people on this forum up in arms. And that is why trans people feel that we aren't supported here, because we're not blind and we can see the difference in what really makes people upset on this forum.

Funny thing is gaming has used games that people that really want their harry potter game could just buy instead but they wont. Most of them will buy it new saying that JK Terfs views dont effect the game and they have no problems giving her 60$-70$.

Mar 18, 2020

the problem with you using this staff post from a thread about downplaying racism to support your opposition to the poll in this thread and call for banning everyone who voted yes is that the ones being talked down to here are being assumed to support bigotry when that's not the case, or at least can't be reasonably inferred from posts. The first person to show disdain for yes voters had a Michael Richards avatar, and Richards is arguably most famous for anti-black racism.

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK

I don't think they did pirate the show, I think they probably watched it on TV, or a sub service, and just don't want to admit they stormed in to make their point, and immediately stood on a rake which hit them in the face

That's part of my point though, if even someone who absolutely thinks supporting/buying something is the same as endorsement can find themselves a hypocrite within seconds, then it doesn't really give their point much weight

I also love Seinfeld, and also didn't pirate the show, and there are 100% things that haven't aged well in the show, and one of the main cast members did something fucking abhorrent, and I think it's fine to still enjoy the show, as long as you also acknowledge and call out the areas where the show falls down, and the same goes for the cast

The same goes for video games too. It just doesn't seem productive to me to call everyone who buys the new Harry Potter game a bigot. I mean, some of them will be, but some of them will be uninformed, some won't know about her views, some will be 11 year old kids, and if we wan't to actually raise these issues to these people, yelling at them and calling them all terrible people seems like a bad place to start

That said, maybe I'm wrong, I'm not a trans person and don't have those lived experiences, I'm happy to listen and if I'm wrong or naive then I'll try to be a better person

Oct 25, 2017
"There's no ethical consumption under capitalism " is such an over used, bullshit, dismissal of the topic. If you can say this with a straight face then you're basically admitting to not wanting to even approach the conversation or discussion. You're just choosing to be naive and stand on a ground of "well it's all bad so who cares"

No one is asking you to burn all your games. It's simply asking you stop and think for a damn minute. Recognize and acknowledge what you're supporting when you choose to engage in a company whom is fully recognized as being a problem.

And no, there is no damn sliding scale of what's on and what's not. Crunch is still emotional and physical abuse.

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Sacul64 just so I can keep track, so far you have said 75% of posters should be banned, told me my poll was against the rules despite a mod posting in the thread, and the poll still being there (as of this post) then used a mod post from an entirely different thread to support your argument that the current active poll is against the mods wishes?

Edit: Heh, poll just went, so you were indeed correct on at least that one thing, my apologies

Oct 27, 2017
As everyone has already mentioned, there is no ethical consumption under capitalism. Obviously we should try where we can, though. Everyone has their own personal threshold for what is or isn't acceptable. At the very least, we can try and put more good into the world?

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they did pirate the show, I think they probably watched it on TV, or a sub service, and just don't want to admit they stormed in to make their point, and immediately stood on a rake which hit them in the face

That's part of my point though, if even someone who absolutely thinks supporting/buying something is the same as endorsement can find themselves a hypocrite within seconds, then it doesn't really give their point much weight

I also love Seinfeld, and also didn't pirate the show, and there are 100% things that haven't aged well in the show, and one of the main cast members did something fucking abhorrent, and I think it's fine to still enjoy the show, as long as you also acknowledge and call out the areas where the show falls down, and the same goes for the cast

The same goes for video games too. It just doesn't seem productive to me to call everyone who buys the new Harry Potter game a bigot. I mean, some of them will be, but some of them will be uninformed, some won't know about her views, some will be 11 year old kids, and if we wan't to actually raise these issues to these people, yelling at them and calling them all terrible people seems like a bad place to start

That said, maybe I'm wrong, I'm not a trans person and don't have those lived experiences, I'm happy to listen and if I'm wrong or naive then I'll try to be a better person

Eh, even on the extreme end of things, I don't think anyone would call someone a bigot for buying that product if they were unaware of the issue in the first place. And even in most cases, it doesn't annoy me when people show support for games like this because I think that they're bigots, but because the callous indifference to the issue makes it all the harder to fight against. Like, my issue isn't that people buy games or media that they're interested in, but that for a lot of people, they throw out a quick "There is no ethical consumption under capitalism" while never pushing for change in any other meaningful way.

It's like looking at all of these episodes that are being pulled from TV and streaming services these past few weeks, it's a nice gesture but it certainly isn't going to stop the rampant police brutality aimed at minorities in the US. Both are unacceptable of course, but they have different levels of urgency and it would be nice if people showed support for the real issues that are at the heart of these complaints.

It's worse for a lot of these threads and discourse around the topic however because these people don't make a gesture, or push for real change while some of them complain that people bring these issues at all up in the first place because no one wants to hear about it. Not accusing you of this specifically, but just an issue that I have seen appear in OT threads for games.

Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area

I mean everyone in this thread is a 'hypocrite' because we've all consumed and enjoyed content that has problematic elements or was made by people with problematic views and through problematic ways. What issues a person cares about the most varies from person to person.

The thing is I don't think anyone here is advocating to boycott everything problematic because that is impossible in our interconnected globalized society. Well I guess we could all boycott video games as they are all luxury non-essentials. But then this website and community would not exist.

So really all you can do is boycott the stuff you find the worst and respect others when they boycott something for their own valid feelings. So yes you can buy that upcoming Harry Potter game if you must. Just don't go barging in a "JK Rowling is a TERF" or "Boycott Harry Potter" thread trying to convince people to end their boycotts. You're being an asshole.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
So I think they do kind of work just they take longer because the community is not cooperative or caring. It took forever for Polanski to be ostracized from Hollywood but it happened when he became a liability. Now he's finally looking to be a liability in France. To me it's like Weinstein, he doesn't fall because just because women spoke out - before they'd just be ignored because there was no risk accepting his support and financing -, it's because women spoke out and they gained widespread support that threatened financial backlash. To me that threat of financial backlash is what is missing in video games consumption land and should be something worked towards having. Film didn't have that threat of financial backlash until recently because the public rarely supported women coming out with their rape experiences until recently. It's missing in video games. It took a century for the public to actually start showing support against Hollywood protectionism. That support that is not impossible to ever get in video games but apathy and self-directed defeatism will make the process longer

I agree with you, and I think things are slowly changing. We saw that article that WB devs are worried about JK's comments, if the project is canned she would lose millions of dollars for being a bigot asshole.

I said here multiple times that it was one of my dreams games, but now I'm just disgusted. Same with Cyberpunk, it's not really a boycott, I just don't want to play this shit anymore.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I mean everyone in this thread is a 'hypocrite' because we've all consumed and enjoyed content that has problematic elements or was made by people with problematic views and through problematic ways. What issues a person cares about the most varies from person to person.

The thing is I don't think anyone here is advocating to boycott everything problematic because that is impossible in our interconnected globalized society. Well I guess we could all boycott video games as they are all luxury non-essentials. But then this website and community would not exist.

So really all you can do is boycott the stuff you find the worst and respect others when they boycott something for their own valid feelings. So yes you can buy that upcoming Harry Potter game if you must. Just don't go barging in a "JK Rowling is a TERF" or "Boycott Harry Potter" thread trying to convince people to end their boycotts. You're being an asshole.
Yeah. Even you arent boycotting something, telling people to stop boycotting is only making things worse. Like literally who are you helping there?

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah I think posters telling others not to boycott something is in bad taste, as are people that go into threads discussing problematic issues just to say "Can't wait for this game, I hope you can fly broomsticks!"

It's probably trolling but if not, it's not hard to read the room (or thread)

I'm a little bummed the poll was removed and a mod hasn't said why. If only so I can know what was wrong with it so I don't make the same mistake in future. I feel like people just saw the results and didn't bother reading the OP or thread, otherwise I can't really see why it needed to be removed

Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
I agree with you, and I think things are slowly changing. We saw that article that WB devs are worried about JK's comments, if the project is canned she would lose millions of dollars for being a bigot asshole.

Honestly I get the vibe she does not care about the money. There are rumours she has veto power over WB HP stuff and if WB did make a more detailed statement on being against transphobia she'd veto every planned and future HP thing out of spite. Then she would claim victimhood at the hand of the evil trans cult and patriarchy.

WB is in a terrible place right now. She has them by the balls. No matter what they do she'll ensure they have a PR fiasco on their hand.

Mar 18, 2020
Yeah I think posters telling others not to boycott something is in bad taste, as are people that go into threads discussing problematic issues just to say "Can't wait for this game, I hope you can fly broomsticks!"

It's probably trolling but if not, it's not hard to read the room (or thread)

I'm a little bummed the poll was removed and a mod hasn't said why. If only so I can know what was wrong with it so I don't make the same mistake in future. I feel like people just saw the results and didn't bother reading the OP or thread, otherwise I can't really see why it needed to be removed

Seems like the decision not to have polls that could emphasize how little posters on the site care about minorities was applied.

although the poll wasn't as specific as the HP game poll, it could broadly be interpreted that way and eventually was, as evidenced by the poster calling for bans

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Seems like the decision not to have polls that could emphasize how little posters on the site care about minorities was applied.

although the poll wasn't as specific as the HP game poll, it could broadly be interpreted that way and eventually was, as evidenced by the poster calling for bans

Yeah but I feel like anyone calling for mass bans for no reason isn't really adding to the conversation. These are not people we should be listening to. The concept of enjoying something you're also critical of is not an extreme opinion, nor has anyone been banned for expressing that view, as far as I can see

Maybe I'm missing something and a mod will explain the situation, otherwise it just looks like people got upset the result didn't go their way and kicked up a fuss

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Honestly I get the vibe she does not care about the money. There are rumours she has veto power over WB HP stuff and if WB did make a more detailed statement on being against transphobia she'd veto every planned and future HP thing out of spite. Then she would claim victimhood at the hand of the evil trans cult and patriarchy.

WB is in a terrible place right now. She has them by the balls. No matter what they do she'll ensure they have a PR fiasco on their hand.

Could always strip out the HP stuff and make a game about a bunch of wizardry students at Smogwarts

MelliiDragon

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but I feel like anyone calling for mass bans for no reason isn't really adding to the conversation. These are not people we should be listening to. The concept of enjoying something you're also critical of is not an extreme opinion, nor has anyone been banned for expressing that view, as far as I can see

Maybe I'm missing something and a mod will explain the situation, otherwise it just looks like people got upset the result didn't go their way and kicked up a fuss

If I remember correctly from another Thread Polls that deal with sensitiv topics are discouraged in general now. (Especily if its connected to minority issues). Because it give people the ability to show how little they care about those issues without having to write anything.

Even though don't understand that wrong as everyone who votes for it is a bigot but Polls like this will still be used by bigots to attack minoritys without having to explain themselve.

Edit: here a link where it was discussed a little bit: https://www.resetera.com/threads/sp...l-them-out-for-it.239539/page-6#post-38898577

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Here's the thing.

Every ResetEra member, including mods and admins, already know that our consoles were/are made by slave labors (who were treated badly/killed on a daily basis, even today) in China, and yet people would still buy and hype them, fully supporting the offenders. They're the very bottom of the minorities, and we are like partying over their blood and bodies. When one of the highest offenses imaginable is still handwaved, what can you expect anymore?

There's a real conflict in Era's stance on standing up with the minorities and its very existence as a video game forum. By fully enforcing the former, Era will lose 99% of its members.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
yeah its not that hard.

Naughty Dog , Rockstar and many others crunched the fuck out of their peeps. I didn't enjoy it personally but TLOU and RDR2 are very well made games. I buy NBA 2k every year like a simp. The shit 2K gets away with is fucking nuts lol. But I don't really touch the modes that they generally scum up. Nintendo has done and will continue to do a bunch of anti consumer bullshit. I personally don't like how Sony strongarms localizations. And Microsoft may be all "we luv dem gamers yo" but they are probably waiting for all of the shit from the initial xbone rollout to be more accepted and that fucking sucks.

So yeah this industry is full of legit boycottable offenses...however IMO life is too damn short so for me personally, it takes a shitton for me to pass on something I am interested in. To each their own however...if you feel as if the act of buying cyberpunk or harry potter makes you feel bad due to the way some of their creators act then you should not buy it and voice your concerns. Personally, I think in general the constant focus on negativity is not good for the mind but do you. The "issue" is when people take it a step further and make their choice the only honorable choice and thus anyone who does not make this same choice is obviously an alt right troll who frequents stormfront. The act of buying a video game should not be used to define a persons character. And so when you see poll results that shows that not everyone feels the same way you do, the first thought shouldn't be to disparrage that person. Sure some totally troll the votes; its the same as putting a joke answer imn...but that does not mean everyone who voted a certain way should be banned...thats nuts.

at the end of the day it is very possible that some people simply are excited for product...and thats all it is to it. Please stop taking every little action to have some level of malice to it. You can buy Cyberpunk and believe in trans rights. You can buy Harry Potter and think JK is a ponce. These things don;'t have to be one or the other.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

I mean, his reasoning was pretty clear for why he thought that lol, agree with it or not.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

So even though you are saying I am not worth listening I will make one more calmer attempt at talking to you before I am done with this. 75% of people that voted in your poll are not the same as 75% of this board, especially when many etcet posters dont come to gaming and there are groups of people that stay in their suportive community topics. I never said Pera ban. A two week ban could make people thing about what they are doing is harmful and reflect on their actions. As of right now Mods can not tell how people voted in polls as it was not considered they would be weaponized in this way. You made this poll at the same time that UBI is amid horrendous sexual assault and rape allegations at the core of the company, Jk Terf is being a Terf and people cant get over their love of harry potter and stand against bigotry, and cdprojekt red once again showing that they have issues with trans people. With all that context all your poll comes off as is you want to feel better about supporting these games.

If you wanted to have an actual discussion maybe have it in the topic pinned to the top of the board.
www.resetera.com

Speaking of trans issues let's talk about racism and the general disregard of brands when we call them out for it.

Hiya gaming era it is I the spookiest motherfucker you ever met who also made a thread just two days ago about trans issues in eras community. (I'm not exactly great at making threads ) this thread Hey it's minority mental health awareness month Hey era I figured it would be apt if I placed a...

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
So even though you are saying I am not worth listening I will make one more calmer attempt at talking to you before I am done with this. 75% of people that voted in your poll are not the same as 75% of this board, especially when many etcet posters dont come to gaming and there are groups of people that stay in their suportive community topics. I never said Pera ban. A two week ban could make people thing about what they are doing is harmful and reflect on their actions. As of right now Mods can not tell how people voted in polls as it was not considered they would be weaponized in this way. You made this poll at the same time that UBI is amid horrendous sexual assault and rape allegations at the core of the company, Jk Terf is being a Terf and people cant get over their love of harry potter and stand against bigotry, and cdprojekt red once again showing that they have issues with trans people. With all that context all your poll comes off as is you want to feel better about supporting these games.

If you wanted to have an actual discussion maybe have it in the topic pinned to the top of the board.
www.resetera.com

Speaking of trans issues let's talk about racism and the general disregard of brands when we call them out for it.

Hiya gaming era it is I the spookiest motherfucker you ever met who also made a thread just two days ago about trans issues in eras community. (I'm not exactly great at making threads ) this thread Hey it's minority mental health awareness month Hey era I figured it would be apt if I placed a...

I don't think the concept of enjoying media you are also critical of is a bannable offence, or even a bad thing at all. I think it's healthy to question and engage with the content you consume and to look into injustice and speak out against it when you find it

I'm happy to agree to disagree, and I'm happy the majority who posted here seem to also share my view

I'll have a look at the thread you linked

Kass

Oct 27, 2017
At this point so many major devs and publishers have behaved poorly
Just on top of my head:
- Blizzard reacting to the Hearthstone esport protest.
- Ubisoft and Riot for failing to act in face of harrassment complaints
- Naughty dog, Rockstar, Fortnite for outrageous crunch
- CDPR for mocking minorities
- Activision and EA for laying off hundreds of employees despite massive benefits...
And the thing is we've heard of these because they are massive companies with well-known names, I highly doubt smaller studios and indie devs are without any issue.
People easily turn a blind eye to the controversies of developers of games they love, and go into righteous fury towards the game they never would have bought in the first place while shaming people who do.
That does not mean we can't protest and share our anger. Most (if not all) companies listed above took heavy flak for what they did (as they should have).

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
This brings up some interesting points. Take example of the 8chan thing with THQ Nordic. It got to the point where folks were going out of their way to attack other users who were interested in THQ Nordic published output. There is some similar behavior in in a recent Cyberpunk 2077 / CDRP thread with folks going "Fuck anyone who buys Cyberpunk"

I find it troubling sometimes on here how some people enforce their ethical concerns on others. It isn't skillful at all, nor actually empathetic. Now it is important to highlight these ethical concerns, but the way they are often asserted ends up being an attack on the person who may have engaged with the material innocently.

I don't like Koichi Sugiyama. He is a very scummy individual due to his war crime denial beliefs and anti-LGBT statements, but I also acknowledge he isn't the only individual involved in the Dragon Quest series. I'm not going just up and stop playing an entire series because one rotten apple is among the bunch, but I can be critical of his dehumane attitude and views and rightly admonish as a result, besides It's Yuji Horii's directorial and scenario work and Toriyama's monster designs is what pushes my interested in Dragon Quest to begin with, I don't put consideration for Sugiyama's musical contributions to the series anyways, but for some folks this isn't enough and thus comes the part where they try to enforce their ethical concerns upon you and if you don't adhere to them you are labeled as a symphasizer and attacked as a result.

genericbrand

Oct 28, 2017
This brings up some interesting points. Take example of the 8chan thing with THQ Nordic. It got to the point where folks were going out of their way to attack other users who were interested in THQ Nordic published output. There is some similar behavior in in a recent Cyberpunk 2077 / CDRP thread with folks going "Fuck anyone who buys Cyberpunk"

I find it troubling sometimes on here how some people enforce their ethical concerns on others. It isn't skillful at all, nor actually empathetic. Now it is important to highlight these ethical concerns, but the way they are often asserted ends up being an attack on the person who may have engaged with the material innocently.

I don't like Koichi Sugiyama. He is a very scummy individual due to his war crime denial beliefs and anti-LGBT statements, but I also acknowledge he isn't the only individual involved in the Dragon Quest series. I'm not going just up and stop playing an entire series because one rotten apple is among the bunch, but I can be critical of his dehumane attitude and views and rightly admonish as a result, besides It's Yuji Horii's directorial and scenario work and Toriyama's monster designs is what pushes my interested in Dragon Quest to begin with, I don't put consideration for Sugiyama's musical contributions to the series anyways, but for some folks this isn't enough and thus comes the part where they try to enforce their ethical concerns upon you and if you don't adhere to them you are labeled as a symphasizer and attacked as a result.

Not trying to attack you here. Trying to explain why others get aggressive with this because this bad apple and not ruining the whole product so buy and but still criticize online is not enough. This is weak activism and it's frustrating for those that try to get those that always say they're allies but don't come out unless it's already popular and it's easy to just join the wave

I'm thinking back to all these marches and protest all these years. Every now and then you get a popular ones where people show up like the recent BLM protests and if they're large and persistent enough, actually get concessions. Any other time, get together maybe at best 50 people to march, set up medic and checkup stations around the marching route, then proceed to have gawkers walk by and start going, "Oh wow what are guys marching for? You guys are doing great. So brave. I support you guys. Thank you so much. It's great that you organized so many kids to protest. I wish I could join but not now." After all these years, it becomes, WTF, you keep saying you support us but you never show up to help. People bark from their homes while we stand in small numbers because everyone likes to express their displeasure but not stand for them. The best I see in the none-wave protest, are people in the neighborhood dropping packets of water bottles. Maybe a $20 bill. Sometimes it's in neighborhoods that became too expensive to live in. Damn, I can accept this place isn't home anymore but is it that hard to just walk off the porch, march, show some support. Lonely marches. Sucks when you see what you can get done when people show up like the recent BLM marches and think it may take decades till you get something like that again but that's that life of patience you're born into

Do I personally go around and try to push my ethical concerns. Usually I don't. I don't have the charisma or the speaking ability. But I can show up and help whenever I can and that includes cutting out time that would have gone to games, books, films, music. It means cutting out products whenever I can. It means supporting businesses that support what I believe in. The ones that are aggressive, that can orate and push and push their ethical concerns through repeated failures to reach others, I love these people because when that movement turns popular it's because of these people kept pushing people to do something. Don't give a damn how uncomfortable they make people feel. Uncomfort is the norm. Being the minority is the norm. Don't get to choose battles, gets thrust on you. Police kilings regularly but don't let these recent protest mistake you for some common unity for irregular injustice. Nah, most times people just don't care, and it's just a few making calls trying to rally up support from those that say they support the cause. Making these calls day after day case after case which for many their whole lives hoping these people start coming out

Last edited:

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Not trying to attack you here. Trying to explain why others get aggressive with this because this bad apple and not ruining the whole product so buy and but still criticize online is not enough. This is weak activism and it's frustrating for those that try to get those that always say they're allies but don't come out unless it's already popular and it's easy to just join the wave

I'm thinking back to all these marches and protest all these years. Every now and then you get a popular ones where people show up like the recent BLM protests and if they're large and persistent enough, actually get concessions. Any other time, get together maybe at best 50 people to march, set up medic and checkup stations around the marching route, then proceed to have gawkers walk by and start going, "Oh wow what are guys marching for? You guys are doing great. So brave. I support you guys. Thank you so much. It's great that you organized so many kids to protest. I wish I could join but not now." After all these years, it becomes, WTF, you keep saying you support us but you never show up to help. People bark from their homes while we stand in small numbers because everyone likes to express their displeasure but not stand for them. The best I see in the none-wave protest, are people in the neighborhood dropping packets of water bottles. Maybe a $20 bill. Sometimes it's in neighborhoods that became too expensive to live in. Damn, I can accept this place isn't home anymore but is it that hard to just walk off the porch, march, show some support. Lonely marches. Sucks when you see what you can get done when people show up like the recent BLM marches and think it may take decades till you get something like that again but that's that life of patience you're born into

Do I personally go around and try to push my ethical concerns. Usually I don't. I don't have the charisma or the speaking ability. But I can show up and help whenever I can and that includes cutting out time that would have gone to games, books, films, music. It means cutting out products whenever I can. It means supporting businesses that support what I believe in. The ones that are aggressive, that can orate and push and push their ethical concerns through repeated failures to reach others, I love these people because when that movement turns popular it's because of these people kept pushing people to do something. Don't give a damn how uncomfortable they make people feel. Uncomfort is the norm. Being the minority is the norm. Don't get to choose battles, gets thrust on you. Police kilings regularly but don't let these recent protest mistake you for some common unity for irregular injustice. Nah, most times people just don't care, and it's just a few making calls trying to rally up support from those that say they support the cause. Making these calls day after day case after case which for many their whole lives hoping these people start coming out

While you do make valid points in that people should also be sensitive to those that are sensitive. Ethics isn't just about grandstanding on a particular issue, but also how you engage with others over that issue, and are sensitive to their own position, if they are generally decent people. Nuance and complexity doesn't often work well in these kinds of online discussions unfortunately.

The recent Ion Fury thread which basically led to Dark10x from Digital Foundry leaving the forum being a good example. The devs of Ion Fury are the ones who ones who should be criticized and for the bigoted views over the game, but because Dark10x analyzed the game, its engine and its technical behavior between each of the consoles, not the parts of the dev team's bigotry. He was criticized for not addressing those concerns despite having nothing to do with the bigotry and offensive material to begin with.

It's one thing when one engages with a game, book, or other entertainment medium from a creator or artist that has objectionable views. It's another matter entirely painting a broad brush one those who engage with the material in a innocent manner to the point of generalization and and essentially labeling guilt by association.

It's right to acknowledge the wrong doing and making a stand against it. However I feel it's unfair for generalizations because folks can be critical of the negative aspects but still engage with the material without any implications they also share those same beliefs.

Status
Not open for further replies.