• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Damian Mahadevan

User banned for use of alt account
Banned
Nov 26, 2017
I didnt know where to put this as there is no suggestions forum. But it seems topics that are deemed unworthy of discussion for one reason or other get locked quickly, disappear quite quickly and people like me make threads on it in ignorance after looking through a few pages. I find it hard to use the search function for this because it gets too many results for everything so I generally dont use it, probably because i suck at using search engines.

I guess I should learn to use search engines better, but I was wondering if this option is on the tables?

lupianwolf

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like a 'New' button that shows new threads would also solve this problem, amongst others.

The current way to see new threads is too much busywork.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What would be the point of sticking threads for 12 hours that would promote discussion behavior that the site is trying to avoid as a whole?

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
That seems antithetical to the usual reason threads are locked.

A better option would be to allow you once emergency post in a locked thread per month, for when you have a really good joke for the thread but it gets locked as you post it.

Deleted member 6436

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are many of those threads repeat threads? Or are most unique?

From what I see, both. Big news is always a rush to see who can get to it first, and then for some reason people post news like two days later sometimes when it was definitely posted within minutes.

Search function isn't hard. It isn't perfect cuz sometimes users make stupid titles, but it works well.

OP
OP

Damian Mahadevan

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
What would be the point of sticking threads for 12 hours that would promote discussion behavior that the site is trying to avoid as a whole?

It wont promote discussion because they are locked and new threads that attempt to discuss it would be locked quickly. But the solutions offered by lupianwolf is better than my idea.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
most of the time threads are locked because there's nothing of value anymore taking place inside them tho

OP
OP

Damian Mahadevan

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
That seems antithetical to the usual reason threads are locked.

A better option would be to allow you once emergency post in a locked thread per month, for when you have a really good joke for the thread but it gets locked as you post it.
No, no, no. My idea is put it there so people an see what NOT to post about. But as I said lupianwolf's idea is better.

I feel like a 'New' button that shows new threads would also solve this problem, amongst others.

The current way to see new threads is too much busywork.

OP
OP

Damian Mahadevan

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Perhaps the ability to view locked thread titles in the order they are posted in the search engine would help?

oggob

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney, Australia
I didnt know where to put this as there is no suggestions forum. But it seems topics that are deemed unworthy of discussion for one reason or other get locked quickly, disappear quite quickly and people like me make threads on it in ignorance after looking through a few pages. I find it hard to use the search function for this because it gets too many results for everything so I generally dont use it, probably because i suck at using search engines.

I guess I should learn to use search engines better, but I was wondering if this option is on the tables?

Perhaps before posting a thread, on the front page sort the topics by "Start Date", from what I can see, at the moment the first forum page is made up of topics from the past 6hrs... should only be a few pages to see stuff from the last day...

Then flip it back to "Last Message"... to see the most recent active...

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
No.

In the future you can use the search button before creating threads. Just tick the box that says "Search titles only".

upload_2018-2-14_19-49-17.png

Status
Not open for further replies.