• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
A plate sharing fee doesn't make me more likely to buy an entree. It makes me more likely to just not eat at your restaurant or only get drinks.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
What, no, its not rude. Eat what you wish, and don't think "its required" or whatever.

Maybe, depends. If you booked a reservation at a nice restaurant and then 4 people shared a single meal that would be rude.

2 people at a McDonald's sharing nuggets isn't.

Your situation as described doesn't sound rude.
Well, yes, if you are going to high end restaurant with bunch of people, reserving a table (especially with larger groups) and then barely have anything there... that's not super nice.

Not the case for OP.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
The issue would be less the tip, if you're onboard with the reasoning, and moreso with taking up a table but spending less than expected (two mains for couple would be a reasonable expectation) at the restaurant.

I can understand that, from a restaurant owner's perspective.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
She's overthinking it, it's fine. If it makes you feel better, leave a 25% tip or something and the waiter will get a good tip and you'll still have saved money

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
You're way overthinking this. Enjoy your app and main. You will never see those people again in your life.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
From the title, I did not expect this to be a tipping thread tbh.

Thought it was gonna be about sharing food with an SO when having dinner with other people, which I think is an interesting question and I don't really know how I feel about it.

As for the OP, nope. Share away.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Wife and I share often. Miss me with the plate fee though. Avoid those places at all cost, especially if we are buying drinks to more than make up for the sharing.

tmac456

May 27, 2020
I've been in the restaurant/bar industry for 8 years. Sharing 2 courses seems fine. If your server does a really good job, throw them a little extra.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
It's not rude

That said, that's the excuse I give when I don't want to share meals with others lol

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
I consider sharing food eating out to be bad etiquette. You ordered what you order. I would consider swapping plates if neither of us started eating yet.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Well~ something like this happened in a Ramen store in Japan on the ANN news recently

qZqWpc6dwNSYrKOaw52flY3Y1d4.webp

The owner say there were two customer, one say they are not eating, and only one order
qZqWpc6dwaCVrNnKkp2dmo3Y1d4.webp

And instead they share a meal
qZqWpc6dwaGZ2dWbxJ2dm43Y1d4.webp

Resulting in the owner setting a new rule that only eating and paying customer can sit inside

"To all customers. From now on, we forbid customers who don't eat to come to our store. I had two customers come in before and one of them said they didn't eat. In the end, the two of them ended up sharing a meal. This kind of behavior is really not desirable. I don't want customers to order and lie to me, so please wait outside the restaurant if you don't eat. This rule is often forced by some customers to set the store."

qZqWpc6dwaKep9WXxp2dmI3Y1d4.webp

The cheapest item in the store is only 400 yen ($2.75 USD)
If you add Chasu it is 550 yen ($3.75 USD)
qZqWpc6dwaOd2aSgw52elY3Y1d4.webp

Their normal ramen
qZqWpc6dwZ6drKjImp2el43Y1d4.webp

Miso Ramen
qZqWpc6elc-LqKrJmbPTnsm2x8vU.webp

And after being on news, the Owner have stated that he is standing by his rule.

"The store's main focus is "cheap". If we had to share the food, we wouldn't be in business. I think any restaurant would think the same as I do."
qZqWpc6dwKeZrqiXlp2emI3Y1d4.webp

"If two people share 550 yen, one person (one seat) will only spend 275 yen. It's impossible to run a business like this."
qZqWpc6dwNKVqNjLxZ2emY3Y1d4.webp

"What good does it do to the store if the person who is not eating takes a seat? Common sense and etiquette say that people don't do this kind of thing. We just ask people who don't eat to wait outside the restaurant. Think before you ask, do you really want to spend money?"
qZqWpc6dwNGV2NfJw52emo3Y1d4.webp

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
You can can also have two people in total spend 550 yen or … get zero money.

Well~ it's pretty split in Japan online currently, with some taking the customer, other taking owner side.

My thinking is, there are also cheaper eat store like this, and the owner just...set a minimun order amount to get a seat~
So even if a friend is hungry and other is not, they can order something to take home later. and just have to spend x amount to get a seat.~

Chille

Jan 7, 2018
Well~ something like this happened in a Ramen store in Japan on the ANN news recently

qZqWpc6dwNSYrKOaw52flY3Y1d4.webp

The owner say there were two customer, one say they are not eating, and only one order
qZqWpc6dwaCVrNnKkp2dmo3Y1d4.webp

And instead they share a meal
qZqWpc6dwaGZ2dWbxJ2dm43Y1d4.webp

Resulting in the owner setting a new rule that only eating and paying customer can sit inside

"To all customers. From now on, we forbid customers who don't eat to come to our store. I had two customers come in before and one of them said they didn't eat. In the end, the two of them ended up sharing a meal. This kind of behavior is really not desirable. I don't want customers to order and lie to me, so please wait outside the restaurant if you don't eat. This rule is often forced by some customers to set the store."

qZqWpc6dwaKep9WXxp2dmI3Y1d4.webp

The cheapest item in the store is only 400 yen ($2.75 USD)
If you add Chasu it is 550 yen ($3.75 USD)
qZqWpc6dwaOd2aSgw52elY3Y1d4.webp

Their normal ramen
qZqWpc6dwZ6drKjImp2el43Y1d4.webp

Miso Ramen
qZqWpc6elc-LqKrJmbPTnsm2x8vU.webp

And after being on news, the Owner have stated that he is standing by his rule.

"The store's main focus is "cheap". If we had to share the food, we wouldn't be in business. I think any restaurant would think the same as I do."
qZqWpc6dwKeZrqiXlp2emI3Y1d4.webp

"If two people share 550 yen, one person (one seat) will only spend 275 yen. It's impossible to run a business like this."
qZqWpc6dwNKVqNjLxZ2emY3Y1d4.webp

"What good does it do to the store if the person who is not eating takes a seat? Common sense and etiquette say that people don't do this kind of thing. We just ask people who don't eat to wait outside the restaurant. Think before you ask, do you really want to spend money?"
qZqWpc6dwNGV2NfJw52emo3Y1d4.webp
I got to agree with the restaurant owner, at that price they probably only just getting by and if you are sharing it with someone who hasn't made an order that's a seat wasting money.

It's different then if the food was super expensive but you could probably get something small.